Oculus Rift Consumer Edition Pre-Order now Live!

Arcanekitten

Yea qucik calculation if it was selling in the same country with 3 different currencies....

Due to import tax ii will cost £500-£600 for UK :(

When going through checkout it says it's coming from Oculus VR Ireland (so no import tax) and it's £499 without shipping.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Cos you know, development kits are always cheaper to help production and development of software.  Has been true for everything ever IMHO.

Not true. Development kits has historically been faaaar more expensive than the consumer product. The development kit for the PS4 cost about 2500 dollars (according to Forbes).

That's why being able to use the Xbox One as a dev kit was such a huge deal when it was announced.

Very disappointed by these news. I was expecting it to be 400 dollars tops. VR will continue to be an incredibly niche market if the price does not drop very fast, or for example the Vive isn't a lot cheaper.

R&D should not factor in that much either. That was the reason why they started the KickStarter (to fund R&D, and it was successful), and it was one of the reasons why they said the buyout from Facebook was good.

I think 2 OLED screens with a total resolution of 2160x1200 would be pretty epxensive by themselves, probably about 150$ are going straight into those. Plus the rest of the hardware, the bundled peripherals, and a 40ish% profit margin.

It's not that expensive. The 5.1" SAMOLED screen in the Galaxy S6 Edge is estimated to cost around 85 dollars. Price of screens goes up exponentially so buying two smaller screens will be cheaper. Then we remove the digitizer and the price premium of it being bent. The screens probably don't even cost them 100 dollars.

There is absolutely no way they are selling this at cost. Devkit 1 and 2 were not sold at cost and they were far cheaper.

Custom parts should help REDUCE cost, not increase it.

i didn't expect $600 but can't say i'm not surprised

-cost of custom display

-cost of custom lenses

-cost of frame

-cost of camera

-cost of manufacturing 

-cost of R&D

-cost of misc. employees

They're selling this at cost, and that's still a lot of money that needs to cover the cost of actually making it/developing it.

The real problem with the price now is the adoption rate might be much lower, causing developers to steer clear. 

If people can afford $400+ graphics cards than the price point doesn't seem as ridiculous.

they are not selling at cost, ppl still use information from palmer before facebook...the price of the dev kit didnt ddouble because of R&D, employee, manufacturing....price doubled because the target changed, they focused on ergonomy, rather than features, oculus is selling them expensive, because gamers or entertainement are not their primary target anymore, that's the price of the aquisition by facebook.

i heard conferences before and after facebook, the change is clear, one was talking about making this in the hand of everyone, the 2nd was talking about material quality used for the headset, the good news here, is Valve might just do what the PS4 did to XBone, and this pre-order price gives an opportunity for valve to grab the gamers, all they need to do is launch it at 450-499$

R&D should not factor in that much either. That was the reason why they started the KickStarter (to fund R&D, and it was successful), and it was one of the reasons why they said the buyout from Facebook was good.

Nope. It was only discounted price for developers to start making games. 

New tech is always expensive on launch. Give it 6 months to a year and wait until some competition rolls out. The price will go down. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Nobody will buy this, and thus no developer will give a shit. Not unless it's moderately available will the gaming industry even fucking bat an eye at this tech.

Unless Facebook gives them a big bag of money.

yes but use isn't. if something costs "too much" to be viewed as "worth it" by a consumer then it isn't ready for the market. And oculus tried to make a consumer device not a premium high end one for selective customers. Look at every other vr headset coming and tell me the oculus still looks competitive.

We don't know what other headsets will cost and how their functinality will compare to the oculus rift. As for "worth", technically speaking any gaming oriented graphics card is also a pointless waste of money... except of course people find it subjectively worth up to 6000$ for those who were crazy enough to buy two titan zs for games...

Doesn't look that way when you are told to invest $600 or more in other regions into technology that could end up the way of the 3D TV.

That doesn't change how much it costs to manufacture and support it - it only affects how many people wil be willing to invest in it. I for sure won't buy it at that price tag, but since I don't know what it truly costs to make and whether or not there will be alternatives that do the same for cheaper I cannot judge whether it's overpriced or not.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I had high hopes for this, but the price is simply ridiculous.

When changing the country to Germany the price changes to 699€ without shipping. I suspect the 19% tax will be on top of that so the total is about 830€.  :huh:

I guess it will be another 1-2 years before VR really catches on and it will be affordable for the masses.

I guess it will be another 1-2 years before VR really catches on and it will be affordable for the masses.

Hey, atleast you can actually afford the graphics card required to run 2160x1200 @ 90 fps by then.

BTW @Arcanekitten in Europe it's 700 euros + shipping, or at least it is in Italy

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Nope. It was only discounted price for developers to start making games. 

Please give me a source on it being a discounted price. It does not say that anywhere in the KickStarter and the entire idea of KickStarter is to FUND a company, not make it lose money.

Why does it need 4 USB ports? Lack of dedicated power cord?

To receive the necessary information to coordinate the screens, the movement sensors etc.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

exchange_rate.avi

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Here in Italy it's 700 euros. Yeah, not happening. I'm not convinced it's overpriced, simply because I have nothing to compare it against, but it's definitely more money than I'm willing to spend on it. Maybe gen 2.

In The Netherlands and Belgium it's also 699 euros, actually 741 with shipping. Just waaaaay too much...

HTC bring on the vive! 

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

what did people expect, its equivalent to a high end monitor 

In The Netherlands and Belgium it's also 699 euros, actually 741 with shipping. Just waaaaay too much...

HTC bring on the vive! 

based on htc's precedents I wouldn't expect it it be much cheaper unfortunately - or if it is it may not be as feature rich. I guess we'll have to wait and see. If nothing else let's hope the software is on point, it had better be with John freaking Carmack working on it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Oculus said it would EVENTUALLY be affordable.

They said they were aiming for the FIRST consumer version to cost around $300.

Instead, here they are expecting us to pay 700€ plus shipping and VAT, which for me ends up at around 915€ = $985. A thousand fucking dollars.

I don't really understand what you can use it for.  I'd be down just for buying some monitors that I can have 3" from my eyeballs (movie watching on a plane anyone?), but doesn't seem like it's for that...

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

It's ridiculously expensive.... but then I guess if you have the money to buy a rig that can run it, it wont take too long to save up the money for the Rift itself.... Still it will be quite a bet I doubt that many people will take.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

based on htc's precedents I wouldn't expect it it be much cheaper unfortunately - or if it is it may not be as feature rich. I guess we'll have to wait and see. If nothing else let's hope the software is on point, it had better be with John freaking Carmack working on it.

Well it's aimed to give you a different VR experience than the oculus so i don't expect the same features really. And i hope the vive ships with the controller they showed off and not an xbox controller or something similar.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

that's not too expensive considering it's the 1st generation of new VR headsets, VR in 1 to 2 years will be significantly cheaper.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

$599usd.

Oh you live in Australia.

$649usd, oh and $132usd for shipping just cause fuck you thats why.

For a grand total of $781usd, or $1104au right now, because our servers suck and you couldn't press f5 as fast as the others you can't have it shipped until may, and since you in Aus that shipping is most likely going to take a month.

.......Such is life..I'll wait.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

That is more than double the original price. Fuck off oculus.