Oculus Rift Consumer Edition Pre-Order now Live!

Arcanekitten

Really, the bulk of the cost is probably in those dual OLED displays.

Even at $599 I doubt we are paying the full cost of the headset.

You are overestimating the cost of OLED displays. They were probably like ~60 dollars each. 70 at most.

Arguably, the people who actually have the most interest in Oculus Rift, probably have their own controllers. So most people look at the items that comes with it and determine that having more of them is completely unnecessary. I'm sure without some of those added stuff, the rift would've been at a reasonable individual price of $450-525. Don't think it would be any less due to the much better specs when you compare to the DK2.

Perhaps.  Of the people I know personally who pre-ordered Oculus, only 1 of 4 already own a controller.  

You are overestimating the cost of OLED displays. They were probably like ~60 dollars each. 70 at most.

I doubt it.  These are ultra low latency displays, not like the ones in your smart phone or TV.  There is a lot of engineering in the displays to give them the properties needed for good VR.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Arguably, the people who actually have the most interest in Oculus Rift, probably have their own controllers. So most people look at the items that comes with it and determine that having more of them is completely unnecessary. I'm sure without some of those added stuff, the rift would've been at a reasonable individual price of $450-525. Don't think it would be any less due to the much better specs when you compare to the DK2.

Didn't they say that the controllers were next to nothing in cost? If so then I guess they are added value

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I doubt it.  These are ultra low latency displays, not like the ones in your smart phone or TV.  There is a lot of engineering in the displays to give them the properties needed for good VR.

The OLED displays in phones are low latency and low persistence as well. That's the reason they ripped out a Note 3 display and used that in DK2.

Didn't they say that the controllers were next to nothing in cost? If so then I guess they are added value

Yep, Palmer said on Twitter that it costs them "almost nothing to add".

Yep, Palmer said on Twitter that it costs them "almost nothing to add".

Really? Though, I'd also like to point out that Palmer also said the Rift wouldn't be as expensive either... Additionally, the Xbox One controllers are $50 retail. Not sure how much MS reduced the price for them. I still think all the extra stuff would just seem to be stuff to inflate the price a bit, though it is not like we can truly find out anyway, unless they sold it as an completely individual product.

Really? Though, I'd also like to point out that Palmer also said the Rift wouldn't be as expensive either... Additionally, the Xbox One controllers are $50 retail. Not sure how much MS reduced the price for them. I still think all the extra stuff would just seem to be stuff to inflate the price a bit, though it is not like we can truly find out anyway, unless they sold it as an completely individual product.

at most stripping that out will knock of $100 in reallity its gonna be less......

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

WOULD LOVE TO HAVE IT...can't afford it :(

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @4.2ghz MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero-RAM:HyperX Fury 8gb PSU: Corsair CX750M-GPU: MSI 390x 8g HDD:WD Green 1TB KEYBOARD: Rosewill RGB8-MOUSE: Corsair Gaming RGB M65

For Microsoft and the Xbox one controller, I doubt a Xbox one controller are expensive to produce, I am guessing 10-20$ to produce max. I am guessing Oculus get the Xbox one controllers for the production price or lower from Microsoft.

Remember, if Microsoft does not earn anything directly on the Xbox controllers that come with the Rift, Microsoft may go in to the positive in total, because if more people have the controller, more people, that do not have one, may buy one after recommendation from one that owns a Rift.

Its easier for a company that all ready have products in hands of a lot of people to sell products to other people, or new product to people that all ready have another product from that company.

Either way, if you buy a Rift, you could just sell the Xbox controller to someone else, and sell it for more that it did cost Oculus to add it.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

damn that's pricey. I bought my DK2 for $350USD, and it ended up being closer to $600CND after shipping, Duties and exchange (350 + exchange rate + 13% sales tax/import duties + 50 shipping). 

If I were to buy the consumer version directly from Oculus, that would be nearly $1,050CND when all said and done. Yeah... i'll stick with my slightly inferior DK2.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

damn that's pricey. I bought my DK2 for $350USD, and it ended up being closer to $600CND after shipping, Duties and exchange (350 + exchange rate + 13% sales tax/import duties + 50 shipping). 

If I were to buy the consumer version directly from Oculus, that would be nearly $1,050CND when all said and done. Yeah... i'll stick with my slightly inferior DK2.

That brings up a good point.  I wonder if the DK2 will have perfect compatibility with the final consumer version of the software and games.  If so, it might be a good place to start for people who simply can't afford it.  Did DK2 come with the motion tracking unit?

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Either way, if you buy a Rift, you could just sell the Xbox controller to someone else, and sell it for more that it did cost Oculus to add it.

The Oculus launch could end up crashing the market for second-hand controllers. :lol:

People are willing to pay that much money for smartphones, so if you think of it that way... it's not that crazy.

And a few years from now this price will come down.

However, too much for me right now considering I'd need a PC upgrade as well to even use the thing.

Smartphones

1.  Play a much bigger role in our lives

2. We need them to communicate (call, text)

3. They too act as a form of entertainment (games, social media, videos)

4. Can be turned into a "VR" machine too

5. Used for built in tools that always come in handy (flashlight, weather, calculator, etc)

So in reality, smartphone prices are not high for the stuff you can use it for.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

That brings up a good point.  I wonder if the DK2 will have perfect compatibility with the final consumer version of the software and games.  If so, it might be a good place to start for people who simply can't afford it.  Did DK2 come with the motion tracking unit?

yeah, DK2 is basically everything that the consumer version is, except no built-in headphones, everything is wired instead of wireless (really just a single bundle of wire running off the back of your head), and the display is slightly lower resolution, with 75hz refresh instead of 90hz. otherwise, I believe you will see DK2's floating around for a while yet, and software support continuing for a long time.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR