Oculus Rift Consumer Edition Pre-Order now Live!

Arcanekitten

Looks like Vive will be the one chosen, as it will likely to be cheaper.

As for why I'm saying that, I found that this had good points.

Rift: 300 custom parts, all requiring molds, tooling, materials, created by external companies and assembled on a single line. Absurdly expensive packaging, matte black heavy box with custom molded casing. High Quality IR camera, look up how much it costs to manufacture a GoPro. Tack on an xbox controller (probably not much but it adds) and this little guy again not much but its something. Comes from silicon valley. Results in a cost higher than you're expecting.

Vive: Manufactured with cheaper parts, cheaper materials, manufacturing lines that are owned by the company making it in freaking Taiwan. The lighthouses are just two motors, two lasers, LED board, single photodiode, power cable... they cost almost nothing to make. Controllers are a bit expensive but since they're ambidextrous they only need one set of molds. They don't need to subsidize development costs since that has already been handled for them. They don't need to subsidize software since thats already been done for them. All they have to do is what valve says and what their industrial designers say.

New tech is always expensive on launch. Give it 6 months to a year and wait until some competition rolls out. The price will go down. 

I have a feeling that it will be some sort of cartel-ish situation though, like the vive coming out at the exactly same price or something. Oculus was supposed to be the "open" and "indie" version keeping it cheap, but the Mark Zuckerberg was all like "I want in on that, fo shizzle" and sent that idea to the trash. 

TL;DR price probably won't drop on VR for atleast ~4-5 years if you ask me, but I sure do hope I'm wrong.

Something entirely unrelated: Anyone know why it gets so much more expensive in EUR? Because currently 599 USD = 555 euros, yet the store price is 699 euros. And then ofcourse shipping is probably more expensive to europe as well. I'll probably get someone I know in the US to buy it for me and ship it over or something, because that is a big price difference.

Main Rig: Cpu: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: NH_d15 GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Windforce III MOBO: Msi Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: HyperX Fury 1600 8gb white SSD: Samsung 840 evo 250gb PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: NZXT H630 white

PC peripherals: Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T27B550 Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Logitech G700s Headphones: Logitech G430 

Holy shit I just saw the price in Euro and Pounds. What the hell were they smoking when they came up with those prices?

It costs 500 British pounds or 700 Euro plus shipping. I thought the US price was way too high but the EU prices are insane.

If my computer were more powerful, I'd buy it with a little regret on the price. But, my 670 wouldn't work well at all. I plan on building a new computer in the next few months so I'll probably get the Oculus in the fall or something once I have a better idea of what the experience is like, and I have a computer that can handle it.

If my computer were more powerful, I'd buy it with a little regret on the price. But, my 670 wouldn't work well at all. I plan on building a new computer in the next few months so I'll probably get the Oculus in the fall or something once I have a better idea of what the experience is like, and I have a computer that can handle it.

keep in mind those are the recomended requirement, not minimum, so it would still work on your rig for basicaly most games as long as you have the USB ports(or buy a USB header for 20 bucks), although i dont think there will be games any time soon :P

the requirement cited by oculus is to allow you kind of flawless experience, even with demanding games, and i know alot of ppl are getting mixed up with this, especialy when you have other vendors trying to sell stuff confusing ppl at the same time, get our Nvidia VR ready PC, only at Origin PC....

I wait for Reviews and Games that support it. And what Valve will offer. I dont spend 600€ just to see a better Release 6 Months later.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

keep in mind those are the recomended requirement, not minimum, so it would still work on your rig for basicaly most games as long as you have the USB ports(or buy a USB header for 20 bucks), although i dont think there will be games any time soon :P

the requirement cited by oculus is to allow you kind of flawless experience, even with demanding games, and i know alot of ppl are getting mixed up with this, especialy when you have other vendors trying to sell stuff confusing ppl at the same time, get our Nvidia VR ready PC, only at Origin PC....

That's a very fair point, but I don't want to have to bump down my settings a bunch to have it run at the highest frame rate.

Maybe a better way to phrase my thoughts would have been to say that I don't want to spend $600 to have a suboptimal experience on my desktop and have it ruin my VR experience. My 670 isn't a bad card by any means, but it can struggle keeping games at higher settings and 60fps constantly. I'd rather just wait till I have a better system even if the price on the Oculus doesn't go down at all.

I really hope this all made sense. I'm typing this on my phone.

40% increase sure, but this is a 100% increase.

A 40% increase would have been 420 bucks, which I'd have been fine with. I was expecting 450-500 after Luckey indicated the price would be "a little higher" than what they had aimed for.

Well, 70% increase actually based on Oculus's statement in October saying the price would be higher than $350. I accidently calculated the increase to $500, not $600, so that's where the 40% came from, my mistake.

Either way, a company publically releasing an estimated target sale price early in the product development can be a risky move since there are a lot of unknown factors and many things can change.

Something entirely unrelated: Anyone know why it gets so much more expensive in EUR? Because currently 599 USD = 555 euros, yet the store price is 699 euros. And then ofcourse shipping is probably more expensive to europe as well. I'll probably get someone I know in the US to buy it for me and ship it over or something, because that is a big price difference.

Holy shit I just saw the price in Euro and Pounds. What the hell were they smoking when they came up with those prices?

It costs 500 British pounds or 700 Euro plus shipping. I thought the US price was way too high but the EU prices are insane.

@ Both: There are basically two options. Either that's their way of accounting for VAT, or they are screwing Europeans.

Hmm. I think Rift may have just signed their own death certificate. With the price being set at £500 very few are going to buy it, and because of the low number of users it is not going to be profitable for developers to make VR titles without steep prices. So The thing is pricey, has few games, and what games it does have are expensive as shit.

VAT in france is 20%, so it rounds up to 660€, but because we are french we get 699€, then another 50 bucks for shipping

Damn, that's way too much for my taste. Might as well wait and see what Vive has to offer. If it's around the same price or even costs more with better features I'd rather spring for the Vive.

Now I'm expecting around $1000 for the Vive, at least mentally preparing me for that price won't leave me in disappointment when it's announced, unlike the Rift.

Can't wait to see what Palmer has to say in the AMA.

When going through checkout it says it's coming from Oculus VR Ireland (so no import tax) and it's £499 without shipping.

Doesnt matter where it comes from, the company originates from US so overpricing for UK and EU applies :(

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Considering that you're getting the Rift, a couple controllers, and a couple games, the $600 price tag isn't too bad, although I really wished they would have given us the option to pre-order just the Rift.

COMIC SANS

A guy asked why Oculus Rift is expensive than dev kits.

See what Mark Zuckerberg answered

a8c1a749feb4e97603813c01fb1fbb19.png

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

$600 FOR THAT? I'd rather get a small taste of 'virtual reality' by ordering a google cardboard VR headset.

Considering that you're getting the Rift, a couple controllers, and a couple games, the $600 price tag isn't too bad, although I really wished they would have given us the option to pre-order just the Rift.

couple controllers ? You are aware that it is shipping with a single xbox one controller and that you'll have to buy the touch controllers separately in the 2nd half of 2016 right ?

Also, the touch controllers will likely add another 100€ at least... (also know that the touch controllers need a second camera pole)

That's no moon, that's a death ball !
K'Nex Server -- R9 290 Alpenföhn Peter Review -- Philips BDM4065UC Review
CPU Intel i5-4760K @ 4.3Ghz MEM 4x 4GB Cucial Ballistix 1600 LP MOBO Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU 980Ti G1 @ 1.47Ghz SSD 3x Samsung 840 EVO 240GB Raid0 CASE Silverstone SG10 DISPLAY Philips BDM4065UC 40" UHD

-snip-

"Comes with controller"

Yeah, cause that totally increases the value of the bundle by hundreds, a Xbone controller you guys got for probably pennies on the dollar and completely ignore the fact that most people probably have their own controllers already.

Jesus, just sell the Rift by itself; no audio, controller, remote, etc. crap.

Okay i rather buy the Samsung VR instead as that's just 100 dollars and that would do fine with the VR things i would do.

couple controllers ? You are aware that it is shipping with a single xbox one controller and that you'll have to buy the touch controllers separately in the 2nd half of 2016 right ?

Also, the touch controllers will likely add another 100€ at least... (also know that the touch controllers need a second camera pole)

Oh, I thought they came with it.

COMIC SANS

a8c1a749feb4e97603813c01fb1fbb19.png

I think someone needs to have a chat with Mark.... Tech is meant to get cheaper over time, therefore the old dev kit would not be worth the same today as it was beforehand.

I don't think it should have costed this much to be honest, but I can see why it is this much.

I, like many others believe they should have just sold the main unit by itself. Most gamers that have a system good enough to power this, will have a controller and decent headphones. Taking that into account the ~$1100 (AUD) is ridiculous. At most it should have been around the ~$800 mark in my opinion.

$132 for shipping is also ridiculous.

Desktop Build
Spoiler
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz - 16GB
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB, MSI GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Western Digital Blue - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 3TB
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W
Display(s): Dell Ultrasharp 27" (2560 x 1440)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014
Mouse: Logitech G502
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Laptop
Spoiler
Current
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970M
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB, Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 - 1TB
Display(s): 15.6" IPS Display (1920 x 1080)
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Old - Given away
CPU: Intel Core i7 2630QM
RAM: 6GB
GPU: Nvidia GT 540M
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Toshiba - 750GB
Display(s): 15.6" Display (1366 x 768)
Operating System: Windows 7

Other (Audio & Devices)
Spoiler
Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II
Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum - Over-Ear
Bluetooth Speaker: Logitech UE Boom, Logitech UE Boom 2
Tablet: iPad 4th Gen
Phone: LG G4

Phone Accessories:
3 Spare Batteries
1 Battery Pack (10000 mAh)
IEMs: Can't Remember....

Retired Devices:
Samsung S4 (Broke... Half Fixed, Given away)
NDS (Traded in)
iPod Touch 2nd Gen (Traded in)
iPod Touch 4th Gen (Damaged Power Connector)

Doesnt matter where it comes from, the company originates from US so overpricing for UK and EU applies :(

Why do people always think that?  The UK price is always almost exactly the same as the US price.  Oculus Rift is $600 without tax, change that to GBP and you get £410, add VAT and you're at £492.  It's the same with every other piece of hardware.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Okay i rather buy the Samsung VR instead as that's just 100 dollars and that would do fine with the VR things i would do.

You mean the Gear VR which may be $100 if you forget to include the price of S6/edge/edge+ / note 5 which are all like $600+ anyway (i'm not american so i'm assuming that price) 

You mean the Gear VR which may be $100 if you forget to include the price of S6/edge/edge+ / note 5 which are all like $600+ anyway (i'm not american so i'm assuming that price) 

Most of us would actually check the requirements before buying the product....

I own a Note 5 and it's fine for me, heard that the rift uses a Note 3 screen or was that a few years ago.