Oculus Rift Consumer Edition Pre-Order now Live!

Arcanekitten

Oculus seems to have so much unnecessary items/hardware just to add more points for marketing and increase the price on each of those unnecessary items/hardware.

also the cost of all the free kits that will go to kickstarter backers is included in their calculations and they will still make lots of profit on it.

People are willing to pay that much money for smartphones, so if you think of it that way... it's not that crazy.

And a few years from now this price will come down.

However, too much for me right now considering I'd need a PC upgrade as well to even use the thing.

yeah but a smartphone has so much more versatility for something that can only do one thing and we dont even know how well or if games will be good its hard to justify the purchase. 

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

That is way too much! Just wait for better cheaper versions.

ƆԀ S₱▓Ɇ▓cs: i7 6ʇɥפᴉƎ00K (4.4ghz), Asus DeLuxe X99A II, GT҉X҉1҉0҉8҉0 Zotac Amp ExTrꍟꎭe),Si6F4Gb D???????r PlatinUm, EVGA G2 Sǝʌǝᘉ5ᙣᙍᖇᓎᙎᗅᖶt, Phanteks Enthoo Primo, 3TB WD Black, 500gb 850 Evo, H100iGeeTeeX, Windows 10, K70 R̸̢̡̭͍͕̱̭̟̩̀̀̃́̃͒̈́̈́͑̑́̆͘͜ͅG̶̦̬͊́B̸͈̝̖͗̈́, G502, HyperX Cloud 2s, Asus MX34. פN∩SW∀S 960 EVO

Just keeping this here as a backup 9̵̨̢̨̧̧̡̧̡̧̡̧̡̡̢̢̡̢̧̡̢̡̡̢̧̛̛̛̛̛̛̱̖͈̠̝̯̹͉̝̞̩̠̹̺̰̺̲̳͈̞̻̜̫̹̱̗̣͙̻̘͎̲̝͙͍͔̯̲̟̞͚̖̘͉̭̰̣͎͕̼̼̜̼͕͎̣͇͓͓͎̼̺̯͈̤̝͖̩̭͍̣̱̞̬̺̯̼̤̲͎̖̠̟͍̘̭͔̟̗̙̗̗̤̦͍̫̬͔̦̳̗̳͔̞̼̝͍̝͈̻͇̭̠͈̳͍̫̮̥̭͍͔͈̠̹̼̬̰͈̤͚̖̯͍͉͖̥̹̺͕̲̥̤̺̹̹̪̺̺̭͕͓̟̳̹͍̖͎̣̫͓͍͈͕̳̹̙̰͉͙̝̜̠̥̝̲̮̬͕̰̹̳͕̰̲̣̯̫̮͙̹̮͙̮̝̣͇̺̺͇̺̺͈̳̜̣̙̻̣̜̻̦͚̹̩͓͚̖͍̥̟͍͎̦͙̫̜͔̭̥͈̬̝̺̩͙͙͉̻̰̬̗̣͖̦͎̥̜̬̹͓͈͙̤̜̗͔̩̖̳̫̑̀̂̽̈́̈́̿͒̿̋̊͌̾̄̄̒̌͐̽̿̊͑̑̆͗̈̎̄͒̑̋͛̑͑̂͑̀͐̀͑̓͊̇͆̿͑͛͛͆́͆̓̿̇̀̓͑͆͂̓̾̏͊̀̇̍̃́̒̎̀̒̄̓̒̐̑̊̏̌̽̓͂͋̓̐̓͊̌͋̀̐̇̌̓̔͊̈̇́̏͒̋͊̓̆̋̈̀̌̔͆͑̈̐̈̍̀̉̋̈́͊̽͂̿͌͊̆̾̉͐̿̓̄̾͑̈́͗͗̂̂́̇͂̀̈́́̽̈́̓̓͂̽̓̀̄͌̐̔̄̄͒͌̈́̅̉͊̂͒̀̈́̌͂̽̀̑̏̽̀͑̐̐͋̀̀͋̓̅͋͗̍́͗̈́̆̏̇͊̌̏̔̑̐̈́͑̎͑͆̏̎́̑̍̏̒̌̊͘͘̚̕̚̕̕̚̕̚̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͠͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅ8̵̨̛̛̛̛̮͍͕̥͉̦̥̱̞̜̫̘̤̖̬͍͇͓̜̻̪̤̣̣̹̑͑̏̈́̐̐́̎͒̔͒̌̑̓̆̓͑̉̈́́͋̌͋͐͛͋̃̍̽̊͗͋͊̂̅͊͑́͋͛̉̏̓͌̾̈́̀͛͊̾͑̌̀̀̌̓̏̑́̄̉̌͂́͛̋͊̄͐͊̈́̀̌̆̎̿̓̔̍̎̀̍̚̕̕͘͘͘̕̚͝͝͠͠͠0̶̡̡̡̢̨̨͕̠̠͉̺̻̯̱̘͇̥͎͖̯͕̖̬̭͔̪̪͎̺̠̤̬̬̤̣̭̣͍̥̱̘̳̣̤͚̭̥͚̦͙̱̦͕̼͖͙͕͇̭͓͉͎̹̣̣͕̜͍͖̳̭͕̼̳̖̩͍͔̱̙̠̝̺̰̦̱̿̄̀͐͜͜ͅͅt̶̡̨̡̨̧̢̧̢̨̧̧̧̧̢̡̨̨̢̨̢̧̢̛̛̛̛̛̠͍̞̮͇̪͉̩̗̗͖̫͉͎͓̮̣̘̫͔̘̬̮̙̯̣͕͓̲̣͓͓̣̹̟͈̱͚̘̼̙̖̖̼̙̜̝͙̣̠̪̲̞̖̠̯̖̠̜̱͉̲̺͙̤̻̦̜͎̙̳̺̭̪̱͓̦̹̺͙̫̖̖̰̣͈͍̜̺̘͕̬̥͇̗̖̺̣̲̫̟̣̜̭̟̱̳̳̖͖͇̹̯̜̹͙̻̥̙͉͕̜͎͕̦͕̱͖͉̜̹̱̦͔͎̲̦͔̖̘̫̻̹̮̗̮̜̰͇̰͔̱͙̞̠͍͉͕̳͍̰̠̗̠̯̜̩͓̭̺̦̲̲͖̯̩̲̣̠͉̦̬͓̠̜̲͍̘͇̳̳͔̼̣͚̙͙͚͕̙̘̣̠͍̟̪̝̲͇͚̦̖͕̰̟̪͖̳̲͉͙̰̭̼̩̟̝̣̝̬̳͎̙̱͒̃̈͊̔͒͗̐̄̌͐͆̍͂̃̈́̾͗̅̐͒̓̆͛̂̾͋̍͂̂̄̇̿̈͌̅̈́̃̾̔̇̇̾̀͊͋̋̌̄͌͆͆̎̓̈́̾̊͊̇̌̔̈́̈́̀̐͊̊̍͑̊̈̓͑̀́̅̀̑̈́̽̃̽͛̇́̐̓̀͆̔̈̀̍̏̆̓̆͒̋́̋̍́̂̉͛̓̓̂̋̎́̒̏̈͋̃̽͆̓̀̔͑̈́̓͌͑̅̽́̐̍̉̑̓̈́͌̋̈́͂̊́͆͂̇̈́̔̃͌̅̈́͌͛̑̐̓̔̈́̀͊͛̐̾͐̔̾̈̃̈̄͑̓̋̇̉̉̚̕̚͘̕̚̚̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͠ͅͅͅͅͅi̵̢̧̢̧̡̧̢̢̧̢̢̢̡̡̡̧̧̡̡̧̛̛͈̺̲̫͕̞͓̥̖̭̜̫͉̻̗̭̖͔̮̠͇̩̹̱͈̗̭͈̤̠̮͙͇̲͙̰̳̹̲͙̜̟͚͎͓̦̫͚̻̟̰̣̲̺̦̫͓̖̯̝̬͉̯͓͈̫̭̜̱̞̹̪͔̤̜͙͓̗̗̻̟͎͇̺̘̯̲̝̫͚̰̹̫̗̳̣͙̮̱̲͕̺̠͉̫̖̟͖̦͉̟͈̭̣̹̱̖̗̺̘̦̠̯̲͔̘̱̣͙̩̻̰̠͓͙̰̺̠̖̟̗̖͉̞̣̥̝̤̫̫̜͕̻͉̺͚̣̝̥͇̭͎̖̦̙̲͈̲̠̹̼͎͕̩͓̖̥̘̱̜͙̹̝͔̭̣̮̗̞̩̣̬̯̜̻̯̩̮̩̹̻̯̬̖͂̈͂̒̇͗͑̐̌̎̑̽̑̈̈́͑̽́̊͋̿͊͋̅̐̈́͑̇̿̈́̌͌̊̅͂̎͆̏̓͂̈̿̏̃͑̏̓͆̔̋̎̕͘͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅZ̴̧̢̨̢̧̢̢̡̧̢̢̢̨̨̨̡̨̧̢̧̛̛̬̖͈̮̝̭̖͖̗̹̣̼̼̘̘̫̠̭̞͙͔͙̜̠̗̪̠̼̫̻͓̳̟̲̳̻̙̼͇̺͎̘̹̼͔̺̹̬̯̤̮̟͈̭̻͚̣̲͔͙̥͕̣̻̰͈̼̱̺̤̤͉̙̦̩̗͎̞͓̭̞̗͉̳̭̭̺̹̹̮͕̘̪̞̱̥͈̹̳͇̟̹̱̙͚̯̮̳̤͍̪̞̦̳̦͍̲̥̳͇̪̬̰̠͙͕̖̝̫̩̯̱̘͓͎̪͈̤̜͎̱̹̹̱̲̻͎̖̳͚̭̪̦̗̬͍̯̘̣̩̬͖̝̹̣̗̭͖̜͕̼̼̲̭͕͔̩͓̞̝͓͍̗̙̯͔̯̞̝̳̜̜͉̖̩͇̩̘̪̥̱͓̭͎͖̱̙̩̜͎̙͉̟͎͔̝̥͕͍͓̹̮̦̫͚̠̯͓̱͖͔͓̤͉̠͙̋͐̀͌̈́͆̾͆̑̔͂͒̀̊̀͋͑̂͊̅͐̿́̈́̐̀̏̋̃̄͆͒̈́̿̎́́̈̀̀͌̔͋͊̊̉̿͗͊͑̔͐̇͆͛̂̐͊̉̄̈́̄̐͂͂͒͑͗̓͑̓̾̑͋̒͐͑̾͂̎̋̃̽̂̅̇̿̍̈́́̄̍͂͑̏̐̾̎̆̉̾͂̽̈̆̔́͋͗̓̑̕͘̕͘͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͝͠͠͝ͅo̶̪͆́̀͂̂́̄̅͂̿͛̈́̿͊͗́͘͝t̴̡̨̧̨̧̡̧̨̡̢̧̢̡̨̛̪͈̣̭̺̱̪̹̺̣̬̖̣̻͈̞̙͇̩̻̫͈̝̭̟͎̻̟̻̝̱͔̝̼͍̞̼̣̘̤̯͓͉̖̠̤͔̜̙͚͓̻͓̬͓̻̜̯̱̖̳̱̗̠̝̥̩͓̗̪̙͓̖̠͎̗͎̱̮̯̮͙̩̫̹̹̖͙̙͖̻͈̙̻͇͔̙̣̱͔̜̣̭̱͈͕̠̹͙̹͇̻̼͎͍̥̘͙̘̤̜͎̟͖̹̦̺̤͍̣̼̻̱̲͎̗̹͉͙̪̞̻̹͚̰̻͈͈͊̈́̽̀̎̃̊́̈́̏̃̍̉̇̑̂̇̏̀͊̑̓͛̽͋̈́͆́̊͊̍͌̈́̓͊̌̿̂̾̐͑̓̀́͒̃̋̓͆̇̀͊̆͗̂͑͐̀͗̅̆͘̕͘̕̕͜͜͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅḁ̶̢̡̨̧̡̡̨̨̧̨̡̡̢̧̨̡̡̛̛̛͍̱̳͚͕̩͍̺̪̻̫̙͈̬͙̖͙̬͍̬̟̣̝̲̼̜̼̺͎̥̮̝͙̪̘̙̻͖͇͚͙̣̬̖̲̲̥̯̦̗̰̙̗̪̞̗̩̻̪̤̣̜̳̩̦̻͓̞̙͍͙̫̩̹̥͚̻̦̗̰̲̙̫̬̱̺̞̟̻͓̞͚̦̘̝̤͎̤̜̜̥̗̱͈̣̻̰̮̼̙͚͚̠͚̲̤͔̰̭̙̳͍̭͎̙͚͍̟̺͎̝͓̹̰̟͈͈̖̺͙̩̯͔̙̭̟̞̟̼̮̦̜̳͕̞̼͈̜͍̮͕̜͚̝̦̞̥̜̥̗̠̦͇͖̳͈̜̮̣͚̲̟͙̎̈́́͊̔̑̽̅͐͐͆̀͐́̓̅̈͑͑̍̿̏́͆͌̋̌̃̒̽̀̋̀̃̏̌́͂̿̃̎̐͊̒̀̊̅͒̎͆̿̈́̑̐̒̀̈́̓̾͋͆̇̋͒̎̈̄̓̂͊̆͂̈́̒̎͐̇̍̆̋̅̿̔͒̄̇̂̋̈́͆̎̔̇͊̊̈́̔̏͋́̀͂̈́̊͋͂̍̾̓͛̇̔̚͘̚̕̚͘͘̕̕̕̚͘͘̚̕̚̕͜͜͜͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅç̵̧̢̨̢̢̢̧̧̡̨̡̢̧̧̧̨̡̡̨̨̢̢̢̧̨̢̨̢̛̛͉̗̠͇̹̖̝͕͚͎̟̻͓̳̰̻̺̞̣͚̤͙͍͇̗̼͖͔͕͙͖̺͙̖̹̘̘̺͓̜͍̣̰̗̖̺̗̪̘̯̘͚̲͚̲̬̞̹̹͕̭͔̳̘̝̬͉̗̪͉͕̞̫͔̭̭̜͉͔̬̫͙̖̙͚͔͙͚͍̲̘͚̪̗̞̣̞̲͎͔͖̺͍͎̝͎͍̣͍̩̟͈͕̗͉̪̯͉͎͖͍̖͎̖̯̲̘̦̟̭͍͚͓͈͙̬͖̘̱̝̜̘̹̩̝̥̜͎̬͓̬͙͍͇͚̟̫͇̬̲̥̘̞̘̟̘̝̫͈̙̻͇͎̣̪̪̠̲͓͉͙͚̭̪͇̯̠̯̠͖̞̜͓̲͎͇̼̱̦͍͉͈͕͉̗̟̖̗̱̭͚͎̘͓̬͍̱͍̖̯̜̗̹̰̲̩̪͍̞̜̫̩̠͔̻̫͍͇͕̰̰̘͚͈̠̻̮͊̐̿̏̐̀̇̑̐̈͛͑͑̍̑̔̃̈́̓̈́̇̐͑̐̊̆͂̀̏͛̊̔̍̽͗͋̊̍̓̈́̏̅͌̀̽́̑͒͒̓͗̈́̎͌͂̕̚͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͠͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅS̵̡̡̧̧̨̨̡̢̡̡̡̡̧̧̡̧̢̫̯͔̼̲͉͙̱̮̭̗͖̯̤͙̜͚̰̮̝͚̥̜̞̠̤̺̝͇̻̱͙̩̲̺͍̳̤̺̖̝̳̪̻̗̮̪̖̺̹̭͍͇̗̝̱̻̳̝̖̝͎̙͉̞̱̯̙̜͇̯̻̞̱̭̗͉̰̮̞͍̫̺͙͎̙̞̯̟͓͉̹̲͖͎̼̫̩̱͇̲͓̪͉̺̞̻͎̤̥̭̺̘̻̥͇̤̖̰̘̭̳̫̙̤̻͇̪̦̭̱͎̥̟͖͕̣̤̩̟̲̭̹̦̹̣͖̖͒̈́̈́̓͗̈̄͂̈́̅̐̐̿̎̂͗̎̿̕͘͜͜͜͜͝͝ͅͅt̸̡̡̧̧̨̡̢̛̥̥̭͍̗͈̩͕͔͔̞̟͍̭͇̙̺̤͚͎͈͎͕̱͈̦͍͔͓̬͚̗̰̦͓̭̰̭̎̀̂̈́̓̒̈́̈́̂̄̋́̇̂͐͒̋̋̉͐̉̏̇͋̓̈́͐̾͋̒͒͐̊̊̀̄͆̄͆̑͆̇̊̓̚̚̕̚̕͜͠͝͝ͅͅơ̵̡̨̡̡̡̨̛̺͕̼͔̼̪̳͖͓̠̘̘̳̼͚͙͙͚̰͚͚͖̥̦̥̘̖̜̰͔̠͕̦͎̞̮͚͕͍̤̠̦͍̥̝̰̖̳̫̮̪͇̤̱̜͙͔̯͙̙̼͇̹̥̜͈̲̺̝̻̮̬̼̫̞̗̣̪̱͓̺̜̠͇͚͓̳̹̥̳̠͍̫͈̟͈̘̯̬̞͔̝͍͍̥̒̐͗͒͂͆̑̀̿̏́̀͑͗̐́̀̾̓́̌̇̒̈́̌̓͐̃̈́̒̂̀̾͂̊̀̂͐̃̄̓̔̽̒̈́̇̓͌̇̂̆̒̏̊̋͊͛͌̊̇̒̅͌̄̎̔̈́͊́̽̋̈̇̈́́͊̅͂̎̃͌͊͛͂̄̽̈́̿͐̉̽̿́́̉͆̈́̒́̂̾̄̇̌̒̈̅̍̿̐͑̓͊̈́̈̋̈́̉̍̋̊̈̀̈́̾̿̌̀̈́͌̑̍́̋̒̀̂̈́́̾̏̐̅̈̑͗͐̈͂̄̾̄̈́̍̉͑͛͗͋̈́̃̄̊́́͐̀̀̽̇̓̄̓̃͋͋̂̽̔̀̎͌̈́̈́̑̓̔̀̓͐͛͆̿̋͑͛̈́͂̅̋̅͆͗̇́̀̒́̏͒̐̍͂̓͐͐̇̂̉̑̊͑̉̋̍͊̄̀͂̎͒̔͊̃̏̕̚̕̕͘͘͘̚͘̚͘̕͘̚͘̚̚̚̕͘͜͜͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅc̴̨̡̢̢̢̡̡̢̛̛̛̻͇̝̣͉͚͎͕̻̦͖̤̖͇̪̩̤̻̭̮̙̰̖̰̳̪̱̹̳̬͖̣͙̼̙̰̻̘͇͚̺̗̩̫̞̳̼̤͔͍͉̟͕̯̺͈̤̰̹̍̋́͆̾̆̊͆͋̀͑͒̄̿̄̀̂͋̊͆́͑̑̽͊̓́̔̽̌͊̄͑͒͐̑͗̿̃̀̓̅́̿͗̈́͌̋̀̏̂͌̓́̇̀͒͋̌̌̅͋͌̆͐̀̔̒͐̊̇̿̽̀̈́̃̒̋̀̈́̃̏̂̊͗̑̊̈̇̀̌͐̈́̉̂̏͊̄͐̈̽͒̏̒̓́̌̓̅́̓̃͐͊͒̄͑̒͌̍̈́̕͘̚͘̕͘̚̕͜͝͠͝͝͝ͅǩ̴̢̢̢̧̨̢̢̢̨̨̨̢̢̢̨̧̨̡̡̢̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̜̥̩̙͕̮̪̻͈̘̯̼̰̜͚̰͖̬̳͖̣̭̼͔̲͉̭̺͚̺̟͉̝̱̲͎͉̙̥̤͚͙̬̪̜̺͙͍̱̞̭̬̩̖̤̹̤̺̦͈̰̗̰͍͇̱̤̬̬͙̙̲̙̜͖͓̙̟̙̯̪͍̺̥͔͕̝̳̹̻͇̠̣͈̰̦͓͕̩͇͈͇̖͙͍̰̲̤̞͎̟̝̝͈͖͔͖̦̮̗̬̞̞̜̬̠̹̣̣̲̮̞̤̜̤̲̙͔͕̯͔͍̤͕̣͔͙̪̫̝̣̰̬̬̭̞͔̦̟̥̣̻͉͈̮̥̦̮̦͕̤͇̺͆͆̈͗̄̀̌̔̈́̈̉̾̊̐̆̂͛̀̋́̏̀̿͒̓̈́̈́͂̽̾͗͊̋̐̓̓̀̃̊̊͑̓̈̎̇͑̆̂̉̾̾̑͊̉̃́̑͌̀̌̐̅̃̿̆̎̈́̀̒́͛̓̀̊́̋͛͒͊̆̀̃̊͋̋̾̇̒̋͂̏͗͆̂̔́̐̀́͗̅̈̋̂̎̒͊̌̉̈̈́͌̈́̔̾̊̎́͐͒̋̽̽́̾̿̚̕͘͘̚̕̕̕̚̚̕̚̕͘͜͜͜͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅB̸̢̧̨̡̢̧̨̡̡̨̡̨̡̡̡̢̨̢̨̛̛̛̛̛̛͉̞͚̰̭̲͈͎͕͈̦͍͈̮̪̤̻̻͉̫̱͔̞̫̦̰͈̗̯̜̩̪̲̻̖̳͖̦͎͔̮̺̬̬̼̦̠̪̤͙͍͓̜̥̙̖̫̻̜͍̻̙̖̜̹͔̗̪̜̖̼̞̣̠̫͉̯̮̤͈͎̝̪͎͇͙̦̥͙̳̫̰̪̣̱̘̤̭̱͍̦͔̖͎̺̝̰̦̱̣͙̙̤͚̲͔̘̱̜̻͔̥̻͖̭͔̜͉̺͕͙͖̜͉͕̤͚̠̩̮̟͚̗͈͙̟̞̮̬̺̻̞͔̥͉͍̦̤͓̦̻̦̯̟̰̭̝̘̩̖̝͔̳͉̗̖̱̩̩̟͙͙͛̀͐̈́̂̇͛̅̒̉̏̈́̿͐́̏̃̏̓̌̽͐̈́͛̍͗͆͛̋̔̉͂̔̂̓̌͌͋̂͆̉͑̊̎́̈́̈̂͆͑́̃̍̇̿̅̾́́̿̅̾̆̅̈́̈̓͒͌͛̃͆̋͂̏̓̅̀͂̽̂̈̈́̎̾̐͋͑̅̍̈́̑̅̄͆̓̾̈́͐̎̊͐̌̌̓͊̊̔̈́̃͗̓͊͐̌͆̓͗̓̓̾̂̽͊͗́́́̽͊͆͋͊̀̑̿̔͒̏̈́́̏͆̈́͋̒͗͂̄̇̒͐̃͑̅̍͒̎̈́̌̋́̓͂̀̇͛̋͊͆̈́̋́̍̃͒̆̕̚̚̕̕̕͘̕̚̚͘̕͜͜͜͜͝͠͠͝͠͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅI̵̡̢̧̨̡̢̨̡̡̢̡̧̡̢̢̢̡̢̛̛͕͎͕̩̠̹̩̺̣̳̱͈̻̮̺̟̘̩̻̫͖̟͓̩̜̙͓͇̙̱̭̰̻̫̥̗̠͍͍͚̞̘̫͉̬̫̖̖̦͖͉̖̩̩̖̤̺̥̻̝͈͎̻͓̟̹͍̲͚͙̹̟̟̯͚̳̟͕̮̻̟͈͇̩̝̼̭̯͚͕̬͇̲̲̯̰̖̙̣̝͇̠̞̙͖͎̮̬̳̥̣̺̰͔̳̳̝̩̤̦̳̞̰̩̫̟͚̱̪̘͕̫̼͉̹̹̟̮̱̤̜͚̝̠̤̖̮̯̳͖̗̹̞̜̹̭̿̏͋̒͆̔̄̃̾̓͛̾̌́̅̂͆̔͌͆͋̔̾́̈̇̐̄̑̓̂̾́̄̿̓̅̆͌̉̎̏̄͛̉͆̓̎͒͘̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͠ͅͅƠ̷̢̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̟̰͔͔͇̲̰̮̘̭̭̖̥̟̘̠̬̺̪͇̲͋͂̅̈́̍͂̽͗̾͒̇̇̒͐̍̽͊́̑̇̑̾̉̓̈̾͒̍̌̅̒̾̈́̆͌̌̾̎̽̐̅̏́̈̔͛̀̋̃͊̒̓͗͒̑͒̃͂̌̄̇̑̇͛̆̾͛̒̇̍̒̓̀̈́̄̐͂̍͊͗̎̔͌͛̂̏̉̊̎͗͊͒̂̈̽̊́̔̊̃͑̈́̑̌̋̓̅̔́́͒̄̈́̈̂͐̈̅̈̓͌̓͊́̆͌̉͐̊̉͛̓̏̓̅̈́͂̉̒̇̉̆̀̍̄̇͆͛̏̉̑̃̓͂́͋̃̆̒͋̓͊̄́̓̕̕̕̚͘͘͘̚̕̚͘̕̕͜͜͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͠ͅS̷̢̨̧̢̡̨̢̨̢̨̧̧̨̧͚̱̪͇̱̮̪̮̦̝͖̜͙̘̪̘̟̱͇͎̻̪͚̩͍̠̹̮͚̦̝̤͖̙͔͚̙̺̩̥̻͈̺̦͕͈̹̳̖͓̜͚̜̭͉͇͖̟͔͕̹̯̬͍̱̫̮͓̙͇̗̙̼͚̪͇̦̗̜̼̠͈̩̠͉͉̘̱̯̪̟͕̘͖̝͇̼͕̳̻̜͖̜͇̣̠̹̬̗̝͓̖͚̺̫͛̉̅̐̕͘͜͜͜͜ͅͅͅ.̶̨̢̢̨̢̨̢̛̻͙̜̼̮̝̙̣̘̗̪̜̬̳̫̙̮̣̹̥̲̥͇͈̮̟͉̰̮̪̲̗̳̰̫̙͍̦̘̠̗̥̮̹̤̼̼̩͕͉͕͇͙̯̫̩̦̟̦̹͈͔̱̝͈̤͓̻̟̮̱͖̟̹̝͉̰͊̓̏̇͂̅̀̌͑̿͆̿̿͗̽̌̈́̉̂̀̒̊̿͆̃̄͑͆̃̇͒̀͐̍̅̃̍̈́̃̕͘͜͜͝͠͠z̴̢̢̡̧̢̢̧̢̨̡̨̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̲͚̠̜̮̠̜̞̤̺͈̘͍̻̫͖̣̥̗̙̳͓͙̫̫͖͍͇̬̲̳̭̘̮̤̬̖̼͎̬̯̼̮͔̭̠͎͓̼̖̟͈͓̦̩̦̳̙̮̗̮̩͙͓̮̰̜͎̺̞̝̪͎̯̜͈͇̪̙͎̩͖̭̟͎̲̩͔͓͈͌́̿͐̍̓͗͑̒̈́̎͂̋͂̀͂̑͂͊͆̍͛̄̃͌͗̌́̈̊́́̅͗̉͛͌͋̂̋̇̅̔̇͊͑͆̐̇͊͋̄̈́͆̍̋̏͑̓̈́̏̀͒̂̔̄̅̇̌̀̈́̿̽̋͐̾̆͆͆̈̌̿̈́̎͌̊̓̒͐̾̇̈́̍͛̅͌̽́̏͆̉́̉̓̅́͂͛̄̆͌̈́̇͐̒̿̾͌͊͗̀͑̃̊̓̈̈́̊͒̒̏̿́͑̄̑͋̀̽̀̔̀̎̄͑̌̔́̉̐͛̓̐̅́̒̎̈͆̀̍̾̀͂̄̈́̈́̈́̑̏̈́̐̽̐́̏̂̐̔̓̉̈́͂̕̚̕͘͘̚͘̚̕̚̚̚͘̕̕̕͜͜͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅī̸̧̧̧̡̨̨̢̨̛̛̘͓̼̰̰̮̗̰͚̙̥̣͍̦̺͈̣̻͇̱͔̰͈͓͖͈̻̲̫̪̲͈̜̲̬̖̻̰̦̰͙̤̘̝̦̟͈̭̱̮̠͍̖̲͉̫͔͖͔͈̻̖̝͎̖͕͔̣͈̤̗̱̀̅̃̈́͌̿̏͋̊̇̂̀̀̒̉̄̈́͋͌̽́̈́̓̑̈̀̍͗͜͜͠͠ͅp̴̢̢̧̨̡̡̨̢̨̢̢̢̨̡̛̛͕̩͕̟̫̝͈̖̟̣̲̖̭̙͇̟̗͖͎̹͇̘̰̗̝̹̤̺͉͎̙̝̟͙͚̦͚͖̜̫̰͖̼̤̥̤̹̖͉͚̺̥̮̮̫͖͍̼̰̭̤̲͔̩̯̣͖̻͇̞̳̬͉̣̖̥̣͓̤͔̪̙͎̰̬͚̣̭̞̬͎̼͉͓̮͙͕̗̦̞̥̮̘̻͎̭̼͚͎͈͇̥̗͖̫̮̤̦͙̭͎̝͖̣̰̱̩͎̩͎̘͇̟̠̱̬͈̗͍̦̘̱̰̤̱̘̫̫̮̥͕͉̥̜̯͖̖͍̮̼̲͓̤̮͈̤͓̭̝̟̲̲̳̟̠͉̙̻͕͙̞͔̖͈̱̞͓͔̬̮͎̙̭͎̩̟̖͚̆͐̅͆̿͐̄̓̀̇̂̊̃̂̄̊̀͐̍̌̅͌̆͊̆̓́̄́̃̆͗͊́̓̀͑͐̐̇͐̍́̓̈́̓̑̈̈́̽͂́̑͒͐͋̊͊̇̇̆̑̃̈́̎͛̎̓͊͛̐̾́̀͌̐̈́͛̃̂̈̿̽̇̋̍͒̍͗̈͘̚̚͘̚͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͜͠͠͝͝ͅͅͅ☻♥■∞{╚mYÄÜXτ╕○\╚Θº£¥ΘBM@Q05♠{{↨↨▬§¶‼↕◄►☼1♦  wumbo╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ

Why do people always think that?  The UK price is always almost exactly the same as the US price.  Oculus Rift is $600 without tax, change that to GBP and you get £410, add VAT and you're at £492.  It's the same with every other piece of hardware.

But US price is already including VAT....so why do we pay it twice ?

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Did you all learned your lesson about not backing shit on crowd funding? No of course you didn't you'll keep making excuses for Oculus no doubt.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Max i would pay for any VR equipment would be $200, im not that interested in it and to just try it i would give that amount or use a like arcade or something where you pay by time.

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

Nobody will buy this, and thus no developer will give a shit. Not unless it's moderately available will the gaming industry even fucking bat an eye at this tech.

Unless Facebook gives them a big bag of money.

Considering I just officially submitted my preorder, when can I expect my big bag of money?

The US doesn't have VAT.

Did you all learned your lesson about not backing shit on crowd funding? No of course you didn't you'll keep making excuses for Oculus no doubt.

Plenty of crowd funded projects turned out just fine. Like Pillars of Eternity, best RPG of 2015.

Also, the people who funded the original Oculus kickstarter are getting the consumer version for free, so that's not exactly a harsh lesson.

few things they would have been better off doing.

1- no headphones, ppl usualy have their own and better quality, then they wouldn't need the remote, money saved on cost.

2- no body like VR with Xbox controller, and if they need it they can buy it, or buy oculus touch, saved money on pre-order, and benefited from accesory sale.

3- no free games, ppl who need them will buy them, just add a demo of something, money saved on pre-order.

with these simple things they could have set the pre-order around 400, and still make money on accessory

Actually no. What they did is provide a turn-key solution. It was a very good marketing decision. A full package that the purchaser can enjoy out of the box without having to buy other peripherals or games (vice a high performance gaming computer of course). There would be far fewer preorders if only the headset was included.

1 - A binaural audio solution for VR is required for immersion. Visuals are not the only thing needed to be fully immersed into a virtual reality. Being convincing to your ears is just as, if not more important for providing faux senses (look up spatial disorientation among pilots if you're not convinced). You cannot assume an end user is going to have head phones; but you also have to be flexible if they want to use their more high end ones.

2 - Oculus touch is not ready for release. In order to stay on track with the company's plan of action & milestones, they made the decision to provide a solution to end users that would be easy to use while in a VR environment (keyboard & mouse is not really practical when you can't see anything around you). The cost of including an xbox controller is nominal at best.

3 - Again, part of the turn-key solution. What better way to provide people with a unique experience than to include a couple games that have good compatibility with the system. Again, price to include this per unit is very low.

Trust me, the additional items included in the price do not affect the purchase price.

Actually no. What they did is provide a turn-key solution. It was a very good marketing decision. A full package that the purchaser can enjoy out of the box without having to buy other peripherals or games (vice a high performance gaming computer of course). There would be far fewer preorders if only the headset was included.

1 - A binaural audio solution for VR is required for immersion. Visuals are not the only thing needed to be fully immersed into a virtual reality. Being convincing to your ears is just as, if not more important for providing faux senses (look up spatial disorientation among pilots if you're not convinced). You cannot assume an end user is going to have head phones; but you also have to be flexible if they want to use their more high end ones.

2 - Oculus touch is not ready for release. In order to stay on track with the company's plan of action & milestones, they made the decision to provide a solution to end users that would be easy to use while in a VR environment (keyboard & mouse is not really practical when you can't see anything around you). The cost of including an xbox controller is nominal at best.

3 - Again, part of the turn-key solution. What better way to provide people with a unique experience than to include a couple games that have good compatibility with the system. Again, price to include this per unit is very low.

Trust me, the additional items included in the price do not affect the purchase price.

1 - Again, remember who's the one that can run Oculus: People with a GTX 970 or higher. Those people usually already have their own headphone (actually almost everyone should already have a headphone somewhere, high-end one or something coming out of their phone purchase), already own a controller (and may very well be a XBOX or XBOX One controller, or even better, a XBOX One Elite controller). And a freaking remote? Why? The controller is not enough to navigate the menu? If I need to keep both a remote and a controller with me all the time to use an Oculus, it's a stupid design. How am I suppose to keep a tiny remote along with a controller around and switching between them when I cant even see outside? Do I have to take off the headset everytime to look for them? Oculus is already not a "full package that the purchaser can enjoy out of the box". Leaving those unnecessary stuff out would be much better IMO, since people are more likely than not to already own all those thing, and at better quality to boot. Also since if you want to talk about the headphone included in the Oculus, that thing dont look detachable. Meaning by including it in they officially denied all other solution the customer could use (maybe except the in-ear one). Why? Also that thing is on-ears headphone, not over the ears (to clarify, my understanding is that on-ear are those sit on top of your ear without cover it completely like over the ear), and those things suck. I own some headphone like that back in the day and they are absolutely the worst for blocking outside noise because they dont cover your ear, and also due to that their sound isnt quite as good as other over the ear or in ear head phone either. Why am I being forced to use that again?

2- Xbox One controller is around 60$ if I remember correctly, so yeah, I agree that leaving that out wouldnt decrease the price too much. But it will decrease the price nonetheless. Again, most people with that kind of setup already own one if not multiple controller, why making them paying for 1 more they dont need? 

3- I have nothing against your point with this one. I totally agree that included free games is nice, and it wouldnt contribute that much to the price anyway. Around 40-60$ at best IMO. 

All in all, I still think they could have reduce the price by around 100-150$ if they remove stuff like controller, remote and headphone, and actually let the user have the option to choose their own. It would make the Oculus more accessible, and wont affect the immersive-ness of the Oculus in anyway (if anything by removing that headphone and replace it with one of my own, I think it would be much more immersive)

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Plenty of crowd funded projects turned out just fine. Like Pillars of Eternity, best RPG of 2015.

Also, the people who funded the original Oculus kickstarter are getting the consumer version for free, so that's not exactly a harsh lesson.

1) No that'd be Witcher 3, but good point

2) That's not the exception that proves the rule though, you know just how many crowd funding projects exists? How many will end up in limbo? It's more effective than a traditional ponzi scheme. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

1) No that'd be Witcher 3, but good point

2) That's not the exception that proves the rule though, you know just how many crowd funding projects exists? How many will end up in limbo? It's more effective than a traditional ponzi scheme.

1) Nah.

2) The existence of bad kickstarter projects doesn't prove crowd funding is always a scam. It's just a matter of dodging the sketchy ones.

Oculus VR is the new Razer.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 - Again, remember who's the one that can run Oculus: People with a GTX 970 or higher. Those people usually already have their own headphone (actually almost everyone should already have a headphone somewhere, high-end one or something coming out of their phone purchase), already own a controller (and may very well be a XBOX or XBOX One controller, or even better, a XBOX One Elite controller). And a freaking remote? Why? The controller is not enough to navigate the menu? If I need to keep both a remote and a controller with me all the time to use an Oculus, it's a stupid design. How am I suppose to keep a tiny remote along with a controller around and switching between them when I cant even see outside? Do I have to take off the headset everytime to look for them? Oculus is already not a "full package that the purchaser can enjoy out of the box". Leaving those unnecessary stuff out would be much better IMO, since people are more likely than not to already own all those thing, and at better quality to boot. Also since if you want to talk about the headphone included in the Oculus, that thing dont look detachable. Meaning by including it in they officially denied all other solution the customer could use (maybe except the in-ear one). Why? Also that thing is on-ears headphone, not over the ears (to clarify, my understanding is that on-ear are those sit on top of your ear without cover it completely like over the ear), and those things suck. I own some headphone like that back in the day and they are absolutely the worst for blocking outside noise because they dont cover your ear, and also due to that their sound isnt quite as good as other over the ear or in ear head phone either. Why am I being forced to use that again?

2- Xbox One controller is around 60$ if I remember correctly, so yeah, I agree that leaving that out wouldnt decrease the price too much. But it will decrease the price nonetheless. Again, most people with that kind of setup already own one if not multiple controller, why making them paying for 1 more they dont need? 

3- I have nothing against your point with this one. I totally agree that included free games is nice, and it wouldnt contribute that much to the price anyway. Around 40-60$ at best IMO. 

All in all, I still think they could have reduce the price by around 100-150$ if they remove stuff like controller, remote and headphone, and actually let the user have the option to choose their own. It would make the Oculus more accessible, and wont affect the immersive-ness of the Oculus in anyway (if anything by removing that headphone and replace it with one of my own, I think it would be much more immersive)

I was under the impression that the head phones were removable or could be moved out of the way? If this isn't the case, then I rescind my comment about it being flexible and would agree with wanting the option to have something better. Either way I think their point was to increase ergonomics of the entire device. Having a separate set of headphones that you need to wear could be uncomfortable for long periods of time due to the already large amount of equipment you're already wearing. Having a purpose built design for comfort would make a more enjoyable experience for the average user. If it doesn't work out this way and the audio is crap, I'm sure it will see changes in future design iterations.

As far as the remote is concerned, I would agree that that is a little superfluous. I think the remote is a little better suited for the GearVR and other mobile VR devices mostly used for media playback. But they probably have a ton of them laying around, so chucking it in for the hell of it.

The biggest thing to keep in mind when marketing something is really not to make assumptions, no matter the target audience. I do think their whole turn key package marketing is pretty damn smart though. Providing a more polished product increases the appeal significantly. Apple is another company which is good at this. Give you everything you need to get going. They even have contracts with Dell and ASUS for selling out of the box pre-built PCs that work with it. I have a feeling the marketing is where you find Facebook pulling the strings. You don't become one of the top social media company in the world without knowing how to market successfully.

I still think that the biggest mistake that was made was Oculus giving any indication of their order of magnitude cost estimates at the start of the project. Although maybe a catch 22 as the original kickstarter may not have gained the traction it did if they had not given target purchase price goals. I have done some work on initial cost estimates for both R&D and production aspects of large scale engineering projects. I have never seen any one of them meet or be below the original estimate; mostly due to unforeseeable circumstances and new information as the project progresses. Something I don't think the general public necessarily understands or thinks about.

Well shit... I was thinking i might upgrade in the next cycle and get one for some of these space flight sims. I was tempted to go big and buy it and a top tier gpu, and while i can afford it, im not willing to put that much down on a v1.0 hardware with a limited stack of games.

Ill wait for rev 2.0-3.0, and hopefully have Touch built in by then or something. This is too big of a sticker shock and i honestly think it will negatively impact the market because of this. I thought the 350-450 price range was good because that would me a lot of people could jump in and maybe spur developers on.... but jesus christ thats a big jump in price...

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

I was under the impression that the head phones were removable or could be moved out of the way? If this isn't the case, then I rescind my comment about it being flexible and would agree with wanting the option to have something better. Either way I think their point was to increase ergonomics of the entire device. Having a separate set of headphones that you need to wear could be uncomfortable for long periods of time due to the already large amount of equipment you're already wearing. Having a purpose built design for comfort would make a more enjoyable experience for the average user. If it doesn't work out this way and the audio is crap, I'm sure it will see changes in future design iterations.

As far as the remote is concerned, I would agree that that is a little superfluous. I think the remote is a little better suited for the GearVR and other mobile VR devices mostly used for media playback. But they probably have a ton of them laying around, so chucking it in for the hell of it.

The biggest thing to keep in mind when marketing something is really not to make assumptions, no matter the target audience. I do think their whole turn key package marketing is pretty damn smart though. Providing a more polished product increases the appeal significantly. Apple is another company which is good at this. Give you everything you need to get going. They even have contracts with Dell and ASUS for selling out of the box pre-built PCs that work with it. I have a feeling the marketing is where you find Facebook pulling the strings. You don't become one of the top social media company in the world without knowing how to market successfully.

I still think that the biggest mistake that was made was Oculus giving any indication of their order of magnitude cost estimates at the start of the project. Although maybe a catch 22 as the original kickstarter may not have gained the traction it did if they had not given target purchase price goals. I have done some work on initial cost estimates for both R&D and production aspects of large scale engineering projects. I have never seen any one of them meet or be below the original estimate; mostly due to unforeseeable circumstances and new information as the project progresses. Something I don't think the general public necessarily understands or thinks about.

I was under that impression as well, until I take a closer look at the picture. It dont seem removable at all, and even if it do from the look of it you need to remove the rubble knot and then unscrew it or something, which is again still really annoying, and I doubt the cable could be remove that easily. But then again, this is what I extracted from staring at the picture for a while. So I could be completely wrong here.

I'm not really an Apple user, and I dont recall ever unboxing anything bigger than an iPad mini, so I might not be correct here, but didnt they also dont ship a mouse/keyboard along with the iMac? or am I wrong here and they do do that? Also this whole "package" thing remind me of the failure that is the XBOX One, so I do hope they later down the line will unpacked it and sold it seperately.

And to be really really fair to them, I think 600$ is a bit overpriced, but not unreasonable. I cant pick it at 600$, especially with all the tax and VAT and shipping fee associated with it, but for the CV1, I think it can be justified with all the development they have gone through all over the year. The PR nightmare they got themselves into by implying their Oculus will cost around 400$ mark is totally their fault, but looking at the price alone I think it's acceptable to some degree.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

2) The existence of bad kickstarter projects doesn't prove crowd funding is always a scam. It's just a matter of dodging the sketchy ones.

The existence of many unfinished products along with many confirmed scams far outnumbering the positive stories shows that it's a flawed system that's easily exploitable and people shouldn't risk it.

That's not even counting people who have money but abuse kickstarter because they're cowards not willing to fund with their own pockets like Richard Garriot or people you know can easily find all the funding they'd need elsewhere like Yu Suzuki.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Terrible argument. If you are going to say "you have to include the phone price with the Gear VR!" then you also need to say that you need to include the desktop PC needed to drive the Oculus Rift.

So how much will that be? So the Gear VR will cost like 700 dollars and the Oculus Rift will cost maybe 2000 dollars?

You can't compare a complete system vs the headset alone.

By the way, the screen used in the S6 Edge is 85 dollars. Samsung could sell the Gear VR, with a screen included (as in, it would work exactly like the Oculus Rift, you would need to connect it to a computer etc) for 200 dollars and still make money.

How about comparing it to what it is: A high end display device?  Many monitors cost over 700 dollars, and some are 1100 USD.  I really don't see the problem with this except for the fact that they are kinda shit at PR, but I'm not an Oculus drone and didn't follow the PR at all.

How about comparing it to what it is: A high end display device?  Many monitors cost over 700 dollars, and some are 1100 USD.  I really don't see the problem with this except for the fact that they are kinda shit at PR, but I'm not an Oculus drone and didn't follow the PR at all.

IMO, that comparison isnt fair at all. Monitor can be use for pretty much anything, heck you can even buy a 10$ av to hdml dongle and play ur SNES or so on it (I play my Wii on my PC monitor like that). Oculus on the other hand is pretty limited as a gaming accessory for the most part right now, and normal day to day stuff wouldnt be useful on it. Granted it have other things normal monitor could never hope to do, but the market right now dont have that manything specifically for the Oculus.

He's done an ama on reddit

> Will the integrated DAC+amp be usable with third party headphones? e.g. through a 3.5mm jack on the headset. Or only with the shipped ones?

Not officially, and not without a little hardware hackery. Our DAC+amp are optimized for our specific driver modules, and are definitely not designed for high-impedance cans. The quality of our built-in audio stack is pretty great, if you really want something better, you are probably better pairing off with an external DAC.

> As a self-professed audiophile, how would you rank the integrated audio solution alongside entry-level audiophile headphones like the ATH-M50x, or the HD 598s?

Favorably. They are open-back drivers with pretty accurate response and a great soundstage. Somewhat similar to ATH-AD700s.

>We've all heard of the concept of the metaverse, and there have been more than a few concepts released. As a partner with Facebook, it seems perfect for a first-party application to be released that would give us some of that functionality (having our own place in VR where we can socialize with friends/other users, small activities, etc.). Can you talk about any plans for such an application, or if Oculus will continue to release first party applications for the Rift besides its suite of launch software?

We will continue to release first party applications, but I can't share anything more specific right now.

>What is it like working with Carmack?

Awesome. There are only a handful of people with comparable expertise in both hardware and software.

@Megazero

Part 2:

>What accessories can we expect to see from Oculus for the Rift (replacement facial interface padding)

There are a range of accessories coming, and we’ll have a range of facial interfaces ourselves. Expect more news in the future.

>The are some apps on the GearVR store that are unavailable to people in certain countries.. (MilkVR in Australia for example), are we going to have to deal with that bullshit with the Rift in it's Oculus store?

We want to have all Oculus Store content available everywhere in the world for Gear VR and Rift. There may be some cases where we can’t because of local policy or technical limitations.

>Multiplayer experiences are obviously going to be a big thing when it comes to VR, what is Oculus doing to ensure its not the Wild West out their for connecting to other Oculus Users.. Id really rather not have to sign up to a hundred different gaming portals each with its own unique friends list and differing network performance…

Our games services provide devs the ability to use your Oculus Name throughout all of the Oculus games and experiences.

>Are there any details about Oculus' Friends List/Store Front/Community/Library app/program. Basically im asking how is Oculus' answer to Steam going? Can we have some details?

We talked about the Oculus platform at the E3 Rift Reveal event in June and at Oculus Connect 2 in September, good to watch those talks if you have not already. No additional news yet.

>Oculus have the Rift and Touch. Is there anything else VR related you guys are working on that your willing to let slip?

Yes, we are working on a wide range of VR technology. No, not willing to let more secrets slip here.

>Will upgrading to Windows 10 be required for Rift? Will it provide a better experience for the Rift specifically? (compatibility, setup, etc)

We support Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

>Will we ever see a drum kit in Rock Band VR? or Multiplayer..

That’s a better question for Harmonix, the developers of Rockband.

>How Long will the Cables be from headset to PC, is it feasible to extend that length for room to vr experiences?

4 meters from PC to Rift headset, though use of extenders is often possible.

>Palmer the messaging you have been hammering out lately is "We'll see you in the Rift".. how exactly will that happen?

Multiplayer and social experiences like EVE Valkyrie, mostly! I can’t work all the time, gotta spend some time playing VR games myself.

>Recommended specs are 970/290.. anyone buying a RIFT will EXPECT to play all games at max settings and have the best experience possible.. is a 970 up for that challenge? will Nvidias Pascal GPU's be better suited for VR? what will YOU (@palmers) be running on your rift set up?

You won’t necessarily be able to play all games at MAX settings on the recommended spec. You will be able to play everything in the Oculus store at a high quality level (90 FPS) on the recommended spec. Personally, I am going to be running the standard rec spec rig to make sure I get the same experience as most users.

>Will Oculus Cinema be able to play our 3D/2D Bluray movies off the disc or do we have to go through the whole rip/convert phase.

On Gear VR, Oculus Video has a paid video store that features full-length films from our content partners. It also supports sideloaded video playback. You can expect similar features to come to Rift over time.

>I want to know more about the small new remote, can we play games with it? What was the decision behind it and what functionality can we expect from it

We designed the Oculus Remote to be simple and intuitive input device for navigating VR experiences, especially when a fully-featured gamepad doesn’t make sense. An example is Oculus Video on Gear VR, which can be explored with just with gaze and tap. The remote is also ideal for non-gamers who want to try VR but aren’t familiar with a gamepad. It is also a good fit for apps that are ported across from Gear VR to Rift.

>Will only apps downloaded from the Oculus store work or will we be able to use software that is downloaded outside the app store?

You’ll be able to do both. You can download Rift titles from our store or elsewhere and run them.

>When CV1 is out, what happens to DK1 & DK2 compatibility? are they phased out immediately or will the SDK allow seemless support for them for games and experiences? is this all on the developers themselves? Will the introduction of Touch phase out DK2 completely when it comes to games with "Touch required"?

We want to make sure that developers with DK1 and DK2 can continue developing for Rift. We’ll have more news on DK1 and DK2 compatibility over the next few months.

>The Case that the CV1 comes in, is there a place for the Oculus Touch in that case?

Maybe…

>

Will we see CV2 before 2020?

Can’t say too much about future products yet.

>What kind of 3D support can we expect for traditional, non-VR games? If I want to play Overwatch or Heroes of the Storm or Counterstrike on my Rift, can I use it as a dummy 3D display? If not, why?

This may be enabled via 3rd party applications, but it isn’t something we’re focused on for Rift launch.

>Can we expect to ever see a cheaper, stripped down Rift SKU (-Xbox controller, -headphones, -games, etc)

Very unlikely for the first generation of Rift. A standardized system is in the best interest in developers trying to reach the widest audience, and we cannot significantly reduce the cost without dramatically reducing quality. Also see my first post.

>What's the rough cost breakdown that goes into the $600 cost of production? Roughly how many % of the price is the OLED, optics, audio, electronics, peripherals, and manufacturing?

And spoil the first tear down?! I wish I could share the detailed breakdown, but I cannot, for both internal and partner related reasons. I will use whatever credibility I have left to assure you that you are getting a pretty crazy deal.

Second to last post. (I'm on my phone it's a bitch to format)

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I'll still buy it, when I upgrade my PC.

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

He's done an ama on reddit

> Will the integrated DAC+amp be usable with third party headphones? e.g. through a 3.5mm jack on the headset. Or only with the shipped ones?

Not officially, and not without a little hardware hackery. Our DAC+amp are optimized for our specific driver modules, and are definitely not designed for high-impedance cans. The quality of our built-in audio stack is pretty great, if you really want something better, you are probably better pairing off with an external DAC.

> As a self-professed audiophile, how would you rank the integrated audio solution alongside entry-level audiophile headphones like the ATH-M50x, or the HD 598s?

Favorably. They are open-back drivers with pretty accurate response and a great soundstage. Somewhat similar to ATH-AD700s.

>We've all heard of the concept of the metaverse, and there have been more than a few concepts released. As a partner with Facebook, it seems perfect for a first-party application to be released that would give us some of that functionality (having our own place in VR where we can socialize with friends/other users, small activities, etc.). Can you talk about any plans for such an application, or if Oculus will continue to release first party applications for the Rift besides its suite of launch software?

We will continue to release first party applications, but I can't share anything more specific right now.

>What is it like working with Carmack?

Awesome. There are only a handful of people with comparable expertise in both hardware and software.

@Megazero

Part 2:

>What accessories can we expect to see from Oculus for the Rift (replacement facial interface padding)

There are a range of accessories coming, and we’ll have a range of facial interfaces ourselves. Expect more news in the future.

>The are some apps on the GearVR store that are unavailable to people in certain countries.. (MilkVR in Australia for example), are we going to have to deal with that bullshit with the Rift in it's Oculus store?

We want to have all Oculus Store content available everywhere in the world for Gear VR and Rift. There may be some cases where we can’t because of local policy or technical limitations.

>Multiplayer experiences are obviously going to be a big thing when it comes to VR, what is Oculus doing to ensure its not the Wild West out their for connecting to other Oculus Users.. Id really rather not have to sign up to a hundred different gaming portals each with its own unique friends list and differing network performance…

Our games services provide devs the ability to use your Oculus Name throughout all of the Oculus games and experiences.

>Are there any details about Oculus' Friends List/Store Front/Community/Library app/program. Basically im asking how is Oculus' answer to Steam going? Can we have some details?

We talked about the Oculus platform at the E3 Rift Reveal event in June and at Oculus Connect 2 in September, good to watch those talks if you have not already. No additional news yet.

>Oculus have the Rift and Touch. Is there anything else VR related you guys are working on that your willing to let slip?

Yes, we are working on a wide range of VR technology. No, not willing to let more secrets slip here.

>Will upgrading to Windows 10 be required for Rift? Will it provide a better experience for the Rift specifically? (compatibility, setup, etc)

We support Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

>Will we ever see a drum kit in Rock Band VR? or Multiplayer..

That’s a better question for Harmonix, the developers of Rockband.

>How Long will the Cables be from headset to PC, is it feasible to extend that length for room to vr experiences?

4 meters from PC to Rift headset, though use of extenders is often possible.

>Palmer the messaging you have been hammering out lately is "We'll see you in the Rift".. how exactly will that happen?

Multiplayer and social experiences like EVE Valkyrie, mostly! I can’t work all the time, gotta spend some time playing VR games myself.

>Recommended specs are 970/290.. anyone buying a RIFT will EXPECT to play all games at max settings and have the best experience possible.. is a 970 up for that challenge? will Nvidias Pascal GPU's be better suited for VR? what will YOU (@palmers) be running on your rift set up?

You won’t necessarily be able to play all games at MAX settings on the recommended spec. You will be able to play everything in the Oculus store at a high quality level (90 FPS) on the recommended spec. Personally, I am going to be running the standard rec spec rig to make sure I get the same experience as most users.

>Will Oculus Cinema be able to play our 3D/2D Bluray movies off the disc or do we have to go through the whole rip/convert phase.

On Gear VR, Oculus Video has a paid video store that features full-length films from our content partners. It also supports sideloaded video playback. You can expect similar features to come to Rift over time.

>I want to know more about the small new remote, can we play games with it? What was the decision behind it and what functionality can we expect from it

We designed the Oculus Remote to be simple and intuitive input device for navigating VR experiences, especially when a fully-featured gamepad doesn’t make sense. An example is Oculus Video on Gear VR, which can be explored with just with gaze and tap. The remote is also ideal for non-gamers who want to try VR but aren’t familiar with a gamepad. It is also a good fit for apps that are ported across from Gear VR to Rift.

>Will only apps downloaded from the Oculus store work or will we be able to use software that is downloaded outside the app store?

You’ll be able to do both. You can download Rift titles from our store or elsewhere and run them.

>When CV1 is out, what happens to DK1 & DK2 compatibility? are they phased out immediately or will the SDK allow seemless support for them for games and experiences? is this all on the developers themselves? Will the introduction of Touch phase out DK2 completely when it comes to games with "Touch required"?

We want to make sure that developers with DK1 and DK2 can continue developing for Rift. We’ll have more news on DK1 and DK2 compatibility over the next few months.

>The Case that the CV1 comes in, is there a place for the Oculus Touch in that case?

Maybe…

>

Will we see CV2 before 2020?

Can’t say too much about future products yet.

>What kind of 3D support can we expect for traditional, non-VR games? If I want to play Overwatch or Heroes of the Storm or Counterstrike on my Rift, can I use it as a dummy 3D display? If not, why?

This may be enabled via 3rd party applications, but it isn’t something we’re focused on for Rift launch.

>Can we expect to ever see a cheaper, stripped down Rift SKU (-Xbox controller, -headphones, -games, etc)

Very unlikely for the first generation of Rift. A standardized system is in the best interest in developers trying to reach the widest audience, and we cannot significantly reduce the cost without dramatically reducing quality. Also see my first post.

>What's the rough cost breakdown that goes into the $600 cost of production? Roughly how many % of the price is the OLED, optics, audio, electronics, peripherals, and manufacturing?

And spoil the first tear down?! I wish I could share the detailed breakdown, but I cannot, for both internal and partner related reasons. I will use whatever credibility I have left to assure you that you are getting a pretty crazy deal.

Second to last post. (I'm on my phone it's a bitch to format)

Yeah... hardware hackery, pretty much what I expected from my "staring" at the picture suggest. Well that's that.

I wouldnt put my money on what he said about no tear down version of the CV1, but well, if the CV2 do come out within 2-3 years then I guess it make sense to not have a tear down version of CV1. 

The US price never includes VAT because different States pay different amounts.
12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10