almost 10000 back & white TV sets still active in UK

zMeul

source: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-35185652

More than 550 households in Scotland are still watching television in black and white, according to TV licensing officials.
Glasgow has the largest number of black and white sets at 200, followed by Edinburgh with 55.
TV Licensing Scotland revealed the figure as it reminded viewers they need a licence, however dated the model.
Regular colour broadcasts began on BBC Two in July 1967.
Britain became the first country in Europe to offer regular programming in colour, weeks ahead of Germany.
Yet almost 10,000 black and white licences are still in force across the UK.

---

knowing the color television was a thing in the UK for 48years, this sounds nuts .. righ!?
well .. wait until you hear how much a licence costs / year

• black and white - £49
  • color - £145.50  :o

that's over 200USD, jaw dropping

but, what does it get you? long story short: it keeps the BBC independent and add-free

The fee you pay provides a wide range of TV, radio and online content, as well as developing new ways to deliver it to you. In addition to funding BBC programmes and services, a proportion of the licence fee contributes to the costs of rolling out broadband to the UK population and funding Welsh Language TV channel S4C and local TV channels. This was agreed with the government as part of the 2010 licence fee settlement.
The licence fee allows the BBC's UK services to remain free of advertisements and independent of shareholder and political interest.

TV license?

Thank God we don't have those here..

Edited by Godlygamer23

I used to be quite active here.

Why the hell do you need a TV license? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, glad I live in the US where I can do whatever the fuck I want.

You dont need one but if you dont wanna get arrested you probably should.

Edited by Godlygamer23

Why the hell do you need a TV license? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, glad I live in the US where I can do whatever the fuck I want.

actually it's not stupid at all

UK is not the only country in The World to have a TV licence fee - and that licence goes to the public television and radio station

the reason for this fee is to keep the public service free of politics

actually it's not stupid at all

UK is not the only country in The World to have a TV licence fee - and that licence goes to the public television and radio station

the reason for this fee is to keep the public service free of politics

Yes it is stupid.

We have taxes for a reason, those already partially go to public television. In fact we wouldn't have Bob Ross without taxes. No need to add onto it with a TV license.

On the topic of licensing:

4278de469a9d012f83f617d23531beae.pngLicence_fee_pros_a_3211954c.jpg

#worth it

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

why is the license tied to the TV and not to the "box"

i mean if i buy a monitor for my pc i dont to pay this license right ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Yes it is stupid.

We have taxes for a reason, those already partially go to public television. In fact we wouldn't have Bob Ross without taxes. No need to add onto it with a TV license.

You really don't understand.

The BBC is unique in that it is entirely publicly funded and ergo is owned by the public. Because of this fact the BBC has very strict guidelines and rules WHICH THEY MUST FOLLOW, must have public consultations and allow public input and criticism, both in terms of the corporation itself and the programmes they make and show.

BBC News are literally not allowed to broadcast an unconfirmed story, they must check all facts are correct and if there is doubt about them they must say it's an unconfirmed report. When they report or show anything they must remain entirely impartial at all times.

They also have zero advertisements for anything other than BBC programmes and they are also the channel the government show all PSAs, Party Political Broadcasts and other public service type stuff on.

The TV license fee goes to the BBC, not the government.

It's a weird setup I agree but it's also a unique situation.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

-The fact that people in the UK have to pay a fee to receive tv is more shocking than the news itself.

-The typo in the title is even more shocking.

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

10,000 doesn't seem like that staggering a number. Population of the UK is 64 million.

So.... 10,000 grannies/grampies who "don't need no colour TV. Black and white's just fine."

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

The BBC is unique in that it is entirely publicly funded and ergo is owned by the public. Because of this fact the BBC has very strict guidelines and rules WHICH THEY MUST FOLLOW, must have public consultations and allow public input and criticism, both in terms of the corporation itself and the programmes they make and show.

BBC News are literally not allowed to broadcast an unconfirmed story, they must check all facts are correct and if there is doubt about them they must say it's an unconfirmed report. When they report or show anything they must remain entirely impartial at all times.

They also have zero advertisements for anything other than BBC programmes and they are also the channel the government show all PSAs, Party Political Broadcasts and other public service type stuff on.

Zero advertisements for anything other than BBC programs? If only Foxtel was like that. I mean they used to be, with no advertisements except for stuff on Foxtel. But now you pay to watch shows and advertisements.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So does the license help reduce commercials? If so I am all for bringing this in the US! 

Unless Comcast gets a say, in which case I rather not have to pay $100+ for ad free TV :/

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

PBS is fully publicly funded as well, and they're the ones that brought us the wonderful Bob Ross. A certain percent of government taxes go to PBS, so in a way it's just a different form of the TV license. I just think it's stupid to call it a TV license instead of just including it in the taxes.

Are we sure it isn't just 10,000 people who don't think anybody will check and are saving all that money? I can't imagine anybody goes to the houses and verifies what type of televisions they are using. It's not like it makes the broadcast be b&w to your house...

Are we sure it isn't just 10,000 people who don't think anybody will check and are saving all that money? I can't imagine anybody goes to the houses and verifies what type of televisions they are using. It's not like it makes the broadcast be b&w to your house...

Knowing the Scots quite well I'm inclined to nod furiously and agree with you on that one.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

So does the license help reduce commercials? If so I am all for bringing this in the US! 

Unless Comcast gets a say, in which case I rather not have to pay $100+ for ad free TV :/

yeah, a bbc program runs start to finish with no add breaks and then a short 1-2 minute ad for bbc shows and saying whats coming up next between programs. which is great imo.

also shows dont have to stick to specific layouts to fit round ads so creators have far more freedom in what they make 

yeah, a bbc program runs start to finish with no add breaks and then a short 1-2 minute ad for bbc shows and saying whats coming up next between programs. which is great imo.

also shows dont have to stick to specific layouts to fit round ads so creators have far more freedom in what they make 

I want this O.o. In the US most shows are 20 mins of actual show/10 mins of ads or 40 mins show/20 mins of ads :'( (unless it's a premium channel like HBO or Showtime)

I'll pay $100/year extra for no ads

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

guys just think with no TV license or BBC there'd be no top gear, no doctor who, no sherlock, and numerous other TV shows, also the UK isn't the only country with a TV license https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

Enjoy you're crap dramas and adverts. 

Enjoy your bad grammar.

And PBS doesn't have adverts. I do like Top Gear though, that's the only thing good to come from BBC.

Because in the UK the BBC has a monopoly on the broadcast system and they can charge you for a TV license if you want to watch the BBC. If you don't plan on using your TV to watch anything then you don't need to pay for one.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15