8 Year old boy shoots grandmother after playing GTA 4.

@ Moderators; Didn't think this really belonged in the news section, feel free to move it though if you think it's necessary.

An 8 year old boy apparently shot his grandmother after playing GTA 4... in the article that I will link below they of course talk about this, violent games making people violent.

Do you think this statement is valid or do you, like me, think this only affects the weaker individuals out there, just like only certain people get addicted to weird stuff.

I myself believe people should stop thinking games make people violent, as that's not the case, except for those few individuals. 

Discuss.

ARTICLE: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/25/us/louisiana-boy-kills-grandmother/?hpt=hp_t2

So many things I could write here... things like this.

no, and how the hell did he get a gun?!?!?!

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

1084961_631733570171628_2056170366_o.jpg

Now... Why would an 8 year old boy be playing GTA?

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

no, and how the hell did he get a gun?!?!?!

He needs the gun to protect himself from the government and the commies, or something

I realise my dry british sarcasm is often missed so I'll just point out that that was a sarcastic statement relating to the murrican culture of fapping over guns

Yeah because there was no violence before video games. If anything, violent video games could be seen as stress relievers, now you don't have to go shoot your neighbor Bob for using your lawn mower to relieve some stress.

Now... Why would an 8 year old boy be playing GTA?

This is the more pertinent question I believe.

He saw guns being used. He did not know what they did or were for. He had access to one and did not understand the consequence. 

That is what I am willing to bet happened.

Gun safety. I really think every country should go the route of Finland. Really, I do.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

He saw guns being used. He did not know what they did or were for. He had access to one and did not understand the consequence. 

Gun safety. I really think every country should go the route of Finland. Really, I do.

Kids should not be allowed to play these games. I agree with you on going the route of Finland.

BUT: He was playing GTA... What do you do in GTA? You get guns, and kill people. I think he should understand that guns kill. Just my 2 cents.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

he didnt have a toy gun, he thought he did tho

Several things wrong here, 1. Why is a 8 year old playing a game like that? (tick off irresponsible parenting), 2. Why was a gun within easy reach of a 8 year old and how did he know how to load the gun and take the safety off or why was there a loaded gun within a 8 year old's reaching distance? (tick off irresponsible parenting), 3. Some people are born with mental issues, some people snap, and some people just have a weaker state of mind and shouldn't play video games because of that. Kids at that age are easily molded and manipulated by their surroundings in this case it was virtual guns. The video game didn't cause violence, human nature caused violence. We are violent creatures, I mean it says a lot about us as a species when the closest thing to intelligent life we have created is a computer virus, something made only to destroy.

i call bs. nothing to do with GTA, just irresponsible parents and unlucky grandma

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Look, I don't want this discussion to spiral out of control and be about the American gun-laws which I disagree on, I've started discussions time and time again and every single time I got yelled at by at least 10 Americans. I guess it's just one of these things that they love so much, just like I have certain things that I am proud and protective of in the Netherlands. 

I agree with you guys about the parenting, when you're like 13 you can play a game like that in my opinion, not to say you should or should be allowed to by retailers, but at that age it's far less dangerous to do so. 

When I was 8... man I barely remember anything from that time - the caretaker, in this case the grandmother, should not have allowed that kid to play a game like that.

But reading the story, he was sleeping at her place, thus making me believe it wasn't really up to her to decide if he was allowed to play games like that, more so his parent's.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

What is route of Finland?

In Finland we can shoot animals when we get licence and we are over 15 years old, but we cant buy these before we are 18 years old:post-2255-0-80468200-1377457307.jpg

Look, I don't want this discussion to spiral out of control and be about the American gun-laws which I disagree on, I've started discussions time and time again and every single time I got yelled at by at least 10 Americans. I guess it's just one of these things that they love so much, just like I have certain things that I am proud and protective of in the Netherlands. 

I agree with you guys about the parenting, when you're like 13 you can play a game like that in my opinion, not to say you should or should be allowed to by retailers, but at that age it's far less dangerous to do so. 

When I was 8... man I barely remember anything from that time - the caretaker, in this case the grandmother, should not have allowed that kid to play a game like that.

But reading the story, he was sleeping at her place, thus making me believe it wasn't really up to her to decide if he was allowed to play games like that, more so his parent's.

pshhhhh gun laws is a easy target its no fun. Philosophy and human nature now that is more interesting to debate about here. :P

its natural i killed alfred after playing My Pony

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

its natural i killed alfred after playing My Pony

This made my day.

1084961_631733570171628_2056170366_o.jpg

While this picture is funny, it's not like people are saying video games are the sole cause of violence. I don't think you should be allowed to play video games with 15, 16 or 18 ratings until you're at least 14. They could give children ideas that they are too young to understand the consequences of.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

• Why do you give an 8 year old a gun

Why is a 8 year old playing a 18+ game

If an 8 year old shot a gun, his arm would break

why why why

fake.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

• If an 8 year old shot a gun, his arm would break
  •  

Not necessarily... 

Well personally i blame whoever was supposed to be supervising him, 
An 8year old playing an 18+ rated game, seems legit. 
An 8year old having access to a gun, seems legit.
An 8year old will cause all the 80year old politicians to blame video games for violence while they overlook the fact that he had access to a gun and a mature rated game WHEN HE HAS FCKING 8 YEARS OLD

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

i think the story is fake it should of been the grandpa killing grandson its just how it is these dayz GTA should be 65- so grandpa's dont play it and kill ther grandson

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

• Why do you give an 8 year old a gun
  • Why is a 8 year old playing a 18+ game
  • If an 8 year old shot a gun, his arm would break
  • why why why
  • fake.

Not necessarily... 

he would need an RPG if his arm would break...

While this picture is funny, it's not like people are saying video games are the sole cause of violence. I don't think you should be allowed to play video games with 15, 16 or 18 ratings until you're at least 14. They could give children ideas that they are too young to understand the consequences of.

That is the entire point of the picture, we are violent creatures and it has been showed through history for thousands and thousands of years that this is true and will likely never change, now suddenly this new thing called video games comes about and people are blaming human nature or sanity on something like that? Why is a 8 year old playing a violent video game like that at a age where humans are so easily manipulated by their environment?

Several things wrong here, 1. Why is a 8 year old playing a game like that? (tick off irresponsible parenting), 2. Why was a gun within easy reach of a 8 year old and how did he know how to load the gun and take the safety off or why was there a loaded gun within a 8 year old's reaching distance? (tick off irresponsible parenting)

This.

3. Some people are born crazy, and kids at that age are easily molded and manipulated by their surroundings in this case it was virtual guns.

Unless it's a physical disability [tumor, damaged brain parts,...] it's not proven that these things are 100% genetic or 100% learned, cannot state this like that. Lots of research still going on, no definite answer yet.

IMO, people being unable to distinguish between real life and video game, were going to do some shit sooner or later anyhow.

If video games actually had this consequence, there was a lot more "game related violence".

It's the 482 year old politicians that do not understand technology [after all as they were young, they used to smear paint all over cave walls], that will now come out and critique video games.

I can recommend this video. It's about the Sandy Hook shooting, but fits the whole situation of "game = serial killer" perfectly.

I'm really tired of people qqing about video games. Especially the press that rapes these incidents as if it was an unconcious girl -.- The more they ban and cut, the more they gonna have their beloved piracy. It's this simple really. You tell people "U cant haz thiz" and they will pirate it like crazy.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

After reading the article once more, the caregiver was watching TV. The kid was playing GTA, so he is probably not in the same room as his caregiver. The gun might be close to that room. The kid decided to take the gun... Caregiver doesnt know because she's watching TV...