Things Just Got Even Worse For VW

http://consumerist.com/2015/10/15/federal-trade-commission-opens-probe-into-volkswagens-clean-diesel-advertising/

Federal Trade Commission Opens Probe Into Volkswagen’s “Clean Diesel” Advertising

VW regularly advertised its “clean diesel” branded vehicles with slogans like “this ain’t your daddy’s diesel,” likely in an attempt to target consumers in the market for a vehicle with cleaner emissions.

VW is facing stiff penalties and fines from so many agencies it'll make your head spin. 400,000 cars that might need major repairs to fix the emissions cheating engines and now the FTC might leverage fines against the company for false marketing.

The next few months will be interesting for VW.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"You wouldn't worry so much what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do" -Eleanor Roosevelt 

Great, just great.

/s

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

The 400000 cars in the US they have to fix is a drop in the ocean compared to all the diesels they'll have to fix in Europe. I wonder if the German government is thinking about how a bailout would work?

Volkswagen is getting hit with so many fines and investigations.  Good god they're going to be screwed at the end of all this.

Yeah I knew when the initial news about the VW scandal hit the headlines the company was finished, just the fines alone will bankrupt them.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Ironically I know quite a bunch of people that are watching VW's cars to see if they're going to lower their prices due to all this crap

It would be stupid not to watch them. It will lower the Value of all VW vehicles and only some Passat and Jetta models are the defected ones. There was a list of vehicles that had this problem, but prices will fall for all of them. :)

Ive had my Golf Mk6 TDI for 6 months now, and Im annoyed that this is happening, Im still paying off my bank loan for it and if the value drops on my car I'll be livid..

Is yours one of the affected cars?

I don't really think this is too bad. Terrific buying opportunity for VW stock right now. They're going to bounce back, they're the like the largest freaking car company in the world! Nobody stopped buying Toyota or GM when they had their scandals, and theirs were matters of life and death! 

They dug their own grave by trying to cheat the system. 

The system is digging grave for every car .

Yeah I knew when the initial news about the VW scandal hit the headlines the company was finished, just the fines alone will bankrupt them.

You really don't know how big VW is? This will be more like a dent.

Also, if Toyota didn't bankrupt because of stuck clutches and gas pedals. GM with their death vehicles and many others, neither will VW.

I would not ignore this, it is a serious issue that needs to be punished and a price needs to be paid, but it's nowhere NEAR the amount of people that died due to defective GM vehicles and I would consider Toyotas clutches/gas pedal problem MUCH more serious...

I just wonder if this might sink the whole company. Recalls happen, fact. But out-and-out cheating on such a large scale is a completely different animal.

"You wouldn't worry so much what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do" -Eleanor Roosevelt 

The only misleading thing vw has used in their ads is using the term "claean diesel" everything else still holds true, the cars do perform far better than those as they put it " your daddy's diesel".

Also, if Toyota didn't bankrupt because of stuck clutches and gas pedals. GM with their death vehicles and many others, neither will VW.

Very true. Time will tell with this, but it makes me wonder.

this whole thing is retarded, yes vw messed up but you know whoever else messed up. every fucking diesal car manufacture. BMW, Porsche, Audi, Volvo, Toyota, Mazda and the list goes on. Everyone has been caught but for some stupid reason everyone is ganging up on vw. Its like five people escaping from jail but the first to escape is the only one getting in trouble. diesal is a load of bollocks, its full of shit. I dont get mad often but diesal seriously needs to fuck off.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

The only misleading thing vw has used in their ads is using the term "claean diesel" everything else still holds true, the cars do perform far better than those as they put it " your daddy's diesel".

Yeah, by spewing 40X the amount of pollutants that they were supposed to. If they had met the emissions standard, theor cars would've been just as bad as "your daddy's diesel."

Even if it doesn't spell the end of VW, at the least, the diesel industry as a whole will be greatly affected and the benefits diminished. Sad sad.

I would not ignore this, it is a serious issue that needs to be punished and a price needs to be paid, but it's nowhere NEAR the amount of people that died due to defective GM vehicles and I would consider Toyotas clutches/gas pedal problem MUCH more serious...

Total assets €351.209 billion

They won't have any cash and may have to sell some assets but your probably right, assuming that consumers don't outright boycott them. But they have basically negated at least 4 years of profits so they will be hurting for a while.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I wonder if the GTI will lose value. I've always fancied one of those.