Things Just Got Even Worse For VW

this whole thing is retarded, yes vw messed up but you know whoever else messed up. every fucking diesal car manufacture. BMW, Porsche, Audi, Volvo, Toyota, Mazda and the list goes on. Everyone has been caught but for some stupid reason everyone is ganging up on vw. Its like five people escaping from jail but the first to escape is the only one getting in trouble. diesal is a load of bollocks, its full of shit. I dont get mad often but diesal seriously needs to fuck off.

The difference is VW had a special hidden mode the car ran in, just for a test, so they took cheating a little further. And from your list above Audi is VW, Porsche is too but I don't think they had any of the affected engines unless the 2.0 diesel found it's way into their new smallish SUV thing?

There is a lot to be be said for trying to get diesel out of our cities ASAP, including all the buses, HGVs and taxis, but I'm not sure how viable electric alternatives are for those? And taxis are the only ones that could go petrol.

Even if it doesn't spell the end of VW, at the least, the diesel industry as a whole will be greatly affected and the benefits diminished. Sad sad.

The benefits are somewhat lower CO2 at the expense much higher NOx pollution versus petrol/gasoline (delete according to which side of the Atlantic you live), not worth the trade off IMO.

Cmon prices! Daddy needs a new A4 tdi.

Awww yeah.

"You wouldn't worry so much what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do" -Eleanor Roosevelt 

The difference is VW had a special hidden mode the car ran in, just for a test, so they took cheating a little further. And from your list above Audi is VW, Porsche is too but I don't think they had any of the affected engines unless the 2.0 diesel found it's way into their new smallish SUV thing?

There is a lot to be be said for trying to get diesel out of our cities ASAP, including all the buses, HGVs and taxis, but I'm not sure how viable electric alternatives are for those? And taxis are the only ones that could go petrol.

the guardian let a bombshell earlier this week saying 90% of diesals were way over the legal limit of emissions, some suvs going over 4times. Granted VW had a fail safe but how the hell did the others get away with it. Porsche have two diesals but the only problem child was in the cayenne.

What is the point of diesal, it sounds horrid, it blatently shits out a lot worse emissions including CFCs(yes that shit again), the MPG is blatantly bollocks just look at a odometer while driving, it costs more and has a hissy fit when its cold. Ill stick with petrol and wait for electricity and hydrogen to attack eachother though hydrogen seems like the vastly superior option, protecting is easy due to toyota using their lmp style safety which can stop a 50cal bullet from touching the hydrogen.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Is yours one of the affected cars?

Yep, got a letter from VW the other day, they basically said that mine is effected and not to worry, they will contact me when its time to roll out a solution or something, cant really remember what it said, but if the value of the car drops it will suck for me cause I got a £12k loan just to get it haha.

WHY VW WHY!

the guardian let a bombshell earlier this week saying 90% of diesals were way over the legal limit of emissions, some suvs going over 4times. Granted VW had a fail safe but how the hell did the others get away with it. Porsche have two diesals but the only problem child was in the cayenne.

What is the point of diesal, it sounds horrid, it blatently shits out a lot worse emissions including CFCs(yes that shit again), the MPG is blatantly bollocks just look at a odometer while driving, it costs more and has a hissy fit when its cold. Ill stick with petrol and wait for electricity and hydrogen to attack eachother though hydrogen seems like the vastly superior option, protecting is easy due to toyota using their lmp style safety which can stop a 50cal bullet from touching the hydrogen.

I agree. Petrol engines are clearly superior in terms of maintenance (Sometimes even 3 times cheaper than diesel), in terms of fuel (petrol doesn't freeze), less noisy engines and when they are noisy the sound a lot better ( Hehe :D ). Overall I love petrol engines, the only problems I have with them is the fuel consumption.

For example, my friends 1.4L petrol engine cosumes 7-7.5l/100km while it has the same power that my 1.6TDI does at a 3.5l consumption, while the diesel provides a lot more torque. However, when it comes to the standard service each 10-15k, the cost of my service is roughly 1/3 more expensive than his.

But, on higher CC this difference is negligible and I would pick the petrol engine 9 out of 10 times. :)

Ironically I know quite a bunch of people that are watching VW's cars to see if they're going to lower their prices due to all this crap

Yeah, it's a great time to buy a Golf TSI (if it wasn't such an ugly car) -- that's the S-version one, right?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The 400000 cars in the US they have to fix is a drop in the ocean compared to all the diesels they'll have to fix in Europe. I wonder if the German government is thinking about how a bailout would work?

they're gonna' ask Greece for it  :lol:

My golf doesn't even have 5k miles on it. Glad i got the TSI.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Sorry about the old holy balls title. My bad.

"You wouldn't worry so much what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do" -Eleanor Roosevelt 

I really have to wonder if VW thought they would get away with it.

That comic doesn't make any sense

German Engineering is outstanding.

Hopefully this will push more for electric cars. If VW gets on the electric car game, it could save them, as well as the environment.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

I'm not seeing any reference to CFC's in the case of diesel exhaust.

NOx emissions are an issue, but can be ameliorated, the biggest health and environmental threats are the unburned hydrocarbons and microscopic particulates.

Diesel may have to be relegated to more easily filtered and scrubbed applications like locomotives and generators.

Do we know what emissions effects there are in running soy/sunflower/peanut oil in a diesel engine? I don't mean bio-diesel, I mean straight oil, no added chemicals.

Its a joke, deal with it.

lolz.

On one side of the argument, VW cheated, got caught red handed and now has to pay the price.

On the other hand, it's a big part of Europe's economy, providing a lot of work places, so if it goes down, so does a (big) part of the European economy, resulting in worklessness, poverty etc.

Idk, maybe I'm overestimating the impact it'll cause, but afaik VW is pretty fucking huge.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

time to buy some VW shares and sell it back in a few years for a big profit.

I'd be more cautious with that idea if I were you. VW's year to year gains are pretty "meh". 

Watch out mate.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456801-in-regards-to-wan-show-vw-stocks/#entry6129735

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Just because VW got caught doesn't mean they're the only ones doing it though. They're all guilty.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Snip

VW was up to 40X over the limit so they are still the ones polluting the most. The other vehicles, besides Audi as they are part of VW, were victims of the way diesel cars were tested. On the test track they were legal but once they were on the road they polluted more just due to the way the test differs from real world driving. VW just completely cheated and lowered performance to reduce emissions.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

You really don't know how big VW is? This will be more like a dent.

Also, if Toyota didn't bankrupt because of stuck clutches and gas pedals. GM with their death vehicles and many others, neither will VW.

I would not ignore this, it is a serious issue that needs to be punished and a price needs to be paid, but it's nowhere NEAR the amount of people that died due to defective GM vehicles and I would consider Toyotas clutches/gas pedal problem MUCH more serious...

Yeh lmao isnt VW worth like $300B or am I way off?

I could swear hearing this number somewhere

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I'm not seeing any reference to CFC's in the case of diesel exhaust.

NOx emissions are an issue, but can be ameliorated, the biggest health and environmental threats are the unburned hydrocarbons and microscopic particulates.

Diesel may have to be relegated to more easily filtered and scrubbed applications like locomotives and generators.

Do we know what emissions effects there are in running soy/sunflower/peanut oil in a diesel engine? I don't mean bio-diesel, I mean straight oil, no added chemicals.

It's not CFCs, as you said, its NOx emissions and SOx's. 

As for straight soy/sunflower/peanut oils, I'm sure its possible but I don't think they are nearly as volatile as refined oil. Maybe they can be refined, but even then it would really difficult to produce enough oils from those plants to match the large scale production of petroleum products.