Skarp the Laser Razor is cancelled by Kickstarter

Dollar Shave Club

Or you could go really cheap and get a better shave and go the safety razor route. Just get good blades like Personna Lab Blue. 100 blades for $12 on Amazon at 4-6 shaves per blade. Also safety razors give closer shaves that are less irritating than any cartridge will ever be.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Kickstarter were quietly given a brown envelope from Gillette, I'm sure of it.

They have an effective monopoly on this market, somehow without intervention from anybody, in 98% of the world.

I am sure Gillette are laughing at these guys. They put in millions of dollars into research every year, you think they didn't explore something like this already?

Also they don't have a monopoly, not even close.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I am sure Gillette are laughing at these guys. They put in millions of dollars into research every year, you think they didn't explore something like this already?

Also they don't have a monopoly, not even close.

they probably have. and know that it works and that is why they want to kill this project so they can keep selling the razor blades. 

they probably have. and know that it works and that is why they want to kill this project so they can keep selling the razor blades. 

conspiraceh. they could have patented the blade themselves and made a monopoly on lazor blades. It just doesn't work imo.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

conspiraceh. they could have patented the blade themselves and made a monopoly on lazor blades. It just doesn't work imo.

But they can't make money off of a rechargeable razor blade that doesn't need new razor blades every month or so. So imo, it does give them a reason to do so.

But they can't make money off of a rechargeable razor blade that doesn't need new razor blades every month or so. So imo, it does give them a reason to do so.

yes, exactly like people who make electric shavers can't make any money out of those. wait...

Spoiler

gee that looks effective....I could probably shave better with a chocolate bar wrapper

They explained why in the indiegogo page. Now whether you believe it or not is up to you

They explained why in the indiegogo page. Now whether you believe it or not is up to you

I read it, its investing in something even the manufacture has not tested

lots of "we dont know until we try" terms in there

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I hope I can still get my toothbrush that uses tiny mass effect fields to clean the gums....

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Well deserved, come back when you have a working prototype (as in actually working, not something that will cut one hair when you're lucky enough to get it working).

one of the guys who are part of the Skarp project was one of the original engineers behind the laser hair removal...

Gillette probably wanted to do this, a LOOOONG time ago.

But i am pretty damn sure there is A LOT of IPs and patents in the way to do this, or do even make developing a test rig possible.

Not to mention. Why would Gillette bother making this when they know that razors or other types of blades work, and have worked just fine for centuries if not millenias?

gee that looks effective....I could probably shave better with a chocolate bar wrapper

Looking at your profile pic it looks like you already do :P

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Looking at your profile pic it looks like you already do :P

Pfft I am beautiful

(actually right now its super short stubble)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You could see the hair getting cut by a laser in the video.

you can see the shave demo here. They're going to need a larger laser because it doesnt seem reliable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2&v=aOLwNJ7TXWA

Doesn't show the top of the razer could still be a blade

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Doesn't show the top of the razer could still be a blade

Explain the white flashes when cutting the hair then?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

GUYS, do not worry. It IS a real product. It will work. The problem here is that the makers of Skarp needed funding for production of a new fiber. They don't actually have the models of razors that they would sell.

in violation of our rule requiring working prototypes of physical products that are offered as rewards.

Here is a few sentences from their indiegogo campaign https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-skarp-laser-razor-21st-century-shaving#/

Your support will allow us order the new factory made fiber. Please see the time line in the campaign.

The new fiber design can be mounted rigidly & supported to prevent breaking. It also couples the hair-cutting laser 'blade' evenly into the hairs.

The new fiber design has an extremely hard surface. We expect it to take several years to wear it out with normal use, but that can’t be tested until we have made it. 

Morgan Gustavsson & his team have decades of experience with bringing new technologies, cosmetic & medical products to market successfully.

Kickstarters policy is that you need to have working prototypes of the actual product to give out to your backers. They don't have the new fiber razors made because they needed funding for the production. So, they don't have the actual razors that they would give to backers yet. BUT, don't worry. They are almost at their goal with just 11 hours into their Indiegogo campaign. They already have $114,000 (I even had to update the total of their campaign contributions as I was typing this because of how fast people are backing their project).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WHY!

This made me a very sad panda when I got the email from them...

Why?

This is why I never fund things up front, show me the product before I pony up the greenbacks

Well that's sad, oh well not surprising however.

This is one of the first kickstarters i was really interested in. I hope they just move to indiegogo to spite them.

Yeah no, not surprised. "Lasers operating the the right frequencies to be able to cut hair but not skin" is a tub full of snake oil.

Darn, I was really looking forward to that.  Oh well, I guess it was too good to be true.

Dammit world

I knew if was snake oil the first time I saw that thing and its claims.

An easy way to do this is to do Ctrl shift v to paste. It pastes as plain text :)

Does that work with Firefox?, I know Chrome has that as an option to paste text though.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I knew if was snake oil the first time I saw that thing and its claims.

Does that work with Firefox?, I know Chrome has that as an option to paste text though.

I thought it worked everywhere

I thought it worked everywhere

Thanks, I'll have to test it.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I don't know man, that demo looked incredibly sketchy, I know they're asking for money to build a better one, but honestly, they have made promises that it'll cut EVERY hair with the new and improved fiber. sigh. I'm waiting personally to see how this all pans out but I'm not holding my breath.  

They've clearly never tried straight edge razors.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2