Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Hello.  Idiot here.  ?

What's a moon clip?

A moon clip is a small piece of metal used to hold the cartridges together for certain types of revolvers, most commonly found in competition guns. The snowflake shaped pieces of metal in this pic are moon clips. 

6251.jpg

They do this so that an entire cylinder of ammo can be loaded and ejected in one motion. 

7 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Would you have some brands of guns to suggest btw?  I'm considering getting a pistol but idk what the best brands are in terms of quality and reliability.  

That is an almost impossible question to answer, we need to know what type of pistol you are interested in. For example the best pistol for plinking may not be the best pistol for competition or the best for home defense. 

I'll try to map out some for you though:

DA/SA => Sig Sauger makes a ton of excellent double-single guns

Revolvers => Smith and Wesson is the big name, but the Ruger GP100 is also an excellent option at a slightly lower price point.

Striker => Glock, Smith and Wesson (2.0s), even the XDm line are excellent options. This category is crowded to say the least so there are other good options, but these are the most popular.

1911 => Springfield Armory, Sig Sauger, Wilson Combat, and Ed Brown are all excellent in their price brackets. 

How much do you want to spend? What do you want to use it for?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

43 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

A moon clip is a small piece of metal used to hold the cartridges together for certain types of revolvers, most commonly found in competition guns. The snowflake shaped pieces of metal in this pic are moon clips. 

6251.jpg

They do this so that an entire cylinder of ammo can be loaded and ejected in one motion. 

That is an almost impossible question to answer, we need to know what type of pistol you are interested in. For example the best pistol for plinking may not be the best pistol for competition or the best for home defense. 

I'll try to map out some for you though:

DA/SA => Sig Sauger makes a ton of excellent double-single guns

Revolvers => Smith and Wesson is the big name, but the Ruger GP100 is also an excellent option at a slightly lower price point.

Striker => Glock, Smith and Wesson (2.0s), even the XDm line are excellent options. This category is crowded to say the least so there are other good options, but these are the most popular.

1911 => Springfield Armory, Sig Sauger, Wilson Combat, and Ed Brown are all excellent in their price brackets. 

How much do you want to spend? What do you want to use it for?

I didn't think it mattered what it was for.  I thought a good brand is a good brand. 

What types of pistol are there?

I don't want a revolver I know that.  I think a revolver design is cool mechanically but it's hardcore impractical IMO for anything beyond target shooting.  (Too slow

to reload.) 

I guess $500 USD or less.  Is that realistic or not enough to get something good?

I was thinking target shooting and to gain basic familiarity/comfortable with shooting a gun but I suppose concealed carry/self defense could be a consideration.  

Idk if I'd want .22 or 9mm.  .22 would be nice to not scare me from a lot of noise and recoil but 9mm would be better from a self defense standpoint.  

Something I should mention is that while I'm not opposed to getting a second gun, for the near future I'm only looking to cough up money for one gun for now.  

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I didn't think it mattered what it was for.  I thought a good brand is a good brand. 

I don't want a revolver I know that.  I think a revolver design is cool mechanically but it's hardcore impractical IMO for anything beyond target shooting.  (Too slow

to reload.) 

I guess $500 USD or less.  Is that realistic or not enough to get something good?

I was thinking target shooting and to gain basic familiarity/comfortable with shooting a gun but I suppose concealed carry/self defense could be a consideration.  

Idk if I'd want .22 or 9mm.  .22 would be nice to not scare me from a lot of noise and recoil but 9mm would be better from a self defense standpoint.  

Something I should mention is that while I'm not opposed to getting a second gun, for the near future I'm only looking to cough up money for one gun for now.  

Find a range near you that will let you rent handguns.  If you've never shot before it might be good to just buy a box of .22 and rent a .22 gun for an hour.  You can also rent different 9mm to try and see which one you like best. It's a very subjective decision. 

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

4 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

to reload.) 

Ive only been shooting once. I got a .22, 9mm, .40 and .45. The most fun was the 1911, its a big mother and it has some kick, but it was fun. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Find a range near you that will let you rent handguns.  If you've never shot before it might be good to just buy a box of .22 and rent a .22 gun for an hour.  You can also rent different 9mm to try and see which one you like best. It's a very subjective decision. 

Is 9mm that much that it might too much to start with?    

If nothing else I could just stick with a .22.  

44 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Ive only been shooting once. I got a .22, 9mm, .40 and .45. The most fun was the 1911, its a big mother and it has some kick, but it was fun. 

Was 9mm ok or a bit scary to shoot?

I 100% plan to get a 1911 someday.  I really like the look of it.  I think it comes in other calibers but I'd want .45 which means I wouldn't want to jump right to that if I've never shot before.

@Bleedingyamato 9mm pistols aren't too hard to shoot. I've shot one many times and I'm not a gun enthusiast. 

A bit intimidating at first but after the first couple shots you get a decent feel for it. So no reason to worry

but yeah a friend invited me to go shoot with him at the range despite having no prior experience (well except for shooting a .410 shotgun when I was little lol) and it ended up being really fun. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I 100% plan to get a 1911 someday.  I really like the look of it.  I think it comes in other calibers but I'd want .45 which means I wouldn't want to jump right to that if I've never shot before.

I think the 1911 was easier only because it has weight. I was not a big fan of the 9mm. The 1911 I fired was a .45 but my friends dad has one thats .22. 

9 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@Bleedingyamato 9mm pistols aren't too hard to shoot. I've shot one many times and I'm not a gun enthusiast. 

A bit intimidating at first but after the first couple shots you get a decent feel for it. So no reason to worry

but yeah a friend invited me to go shoot with him at the range despite having no prior experience (well except for shooting a .410 shotgun when I was little lol) and it ended up being really fun. 

I just wouldn't want to get a 9mm and do something stupid like freak out and drop it thr first time I shoot it.  ?

Is a .410 shotgun very mild on the recoil?    I'd like to at some far into the future point try to get a friend into target shooting with a shotgun and I was thinking that would be easier for her to handle.

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I think the 1911 was easier only because it has weight. I was not a big fan of the 9mm. The 1911 I fired was a .45 but my friends dad has one thats .22. 

What about the 9mm didn't you like?    

I was thinking of getting a .380 but @Real_PhillBert was saying 9mm is a more common caliber and so the ammo is cheaper.  

That's interesting.  I didn't know a 1911 came in .22.  

57 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

No, 9mm isn't too much to start with.  I do recommend a beginners class in the very least.  If nothing else for safety and to help you with the basics so you don't start learning bad habits.  And if you like the 1911 I say go for it.  .45 out of a 1911 has less perceived recoil than most 9mm simply because of the weight of the gun.  1911 is my personal favorite and my daughters as well.  She's 16, 5' 0 and 105 lbs soaking wet.  Some say the 1911 isn't a good beginners gun but I disagree.  It has an easy trigger and enough weight to blunt a lot of the recoil.  That extra weight will tire your arms faster when you first start shooting though.  5 pounds doesn't sound like much until your holding it at arms length for awhile.

48 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Is a .410 shotgun very mild on the recoil?    I'd like to at some far into the future point try to get a friend into target shooting with a shotgun and I was thinking that would be easier for her to handle.

.410 is basically the smallest shotgun shell you can get.  Some revolvers will even shoot .410

9mm generally has a sharper recoil.  The .45 may have more recoil but it's a much slower bullet and tends to push more snap back.  Kind of hard to explain.

I was thinking of getting a .380 but @Real_PhillBert was saying 9mm is a more common caliber and so the ammo is cheaper.  

.380 is actually a 9mm short.  They do tend to be slightly more expensive but we're talking pennies.  The problem with .380 is they tend to be small plastic pocket guns.  This can make their recoil seem harder than it is.  That's not always the case though.  My Sig P238 shoots like a dream.  Bit on the expensive side though.

That's interesting.  I didn't know a 1911 came in .22.  

They do.  If you go back in the forum a page or two you'll see a picture of my Sig 1911-22.  It's the desert tan one with the US grips.  

It really all comes down to your preference.  Which is why I recommended renting a few to try or find a buddy to go shooting with that will let you try theirs.  Most gun enthusiasts are more than happy to show off their hardware.  Call around a few ranges and see if they have a first time shooters class.  Most places have them VERY cheap because we love getting new people into the sport.  Be warned though.  It's addictive and expensive...kinda like building computers. But fun as hell!

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

To me it felt like it was harder to keep it on target. The 1911 has a lot of weight at the top, which helps you keep on target easier. I just have more fun with the 1911. 

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

To me it felt like it was harder to keep it on target. The 1911 has a lot of weight at the top, which helps you keep on target easier. I just have more fun with the 1911. 

Thats largely a matter of weight distribution.  

1911s generally have steel lower frames which balances it and reduces muzzle flip.

Polymer guns tend to be top heavy because their polymer frames are ao much lighter than the top.

1 hour ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

No, 9mm isn't too much to start with.  I do recommend a beginners class in the very least.  If nothing else for safety and to help you with the basics so you don't start learning bad habits.  And if you like the 1911 I say go for it.  .45 out of a 1911 has less perceived recoil than most 9mm simply because of the weight of the gun.  1911 is my personal favorite and my daughters as well.  She's 16, 5' 0 and 105 lbs soaking wet.  Some say the 1911 isn't a good beginners gun but I disagree.  It has an easy trigger and enough weight to blunt a lot of the recoil.  That extra weight will tire your arms faster when you first start shooting though.  5 pounds doesn't sound like much until your holding it at arms length for awhile.

Bad habits like what?

I could use some work for my arms.  They're as thin as twigs.  ?

I wonder if I'd be any good at shooting?  ?

I'm left handed but right eye dominant.  

1 hour ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

.410 is basically the smallest shotgun shell you can get.  Some revolvers will even shoot .410

9mm generally has a sharper recoil.  The .45 may have more recoil but it's a much slower bullet and tends to push more snap back.  Kind of hard to explain.

.380 is actually a 9mm short.  They do tend to be slightly more expensive but we're talking pennies.  The problem with .380 is they tend to be small plastic pocket guns.  This can make their recoil seem harder than it is.  That's not always the case though.  My Sig P238 shoots like a dream.  Bit on the expensive side though.

They do.  If you go back in the forum a page or two you'll see a picture of my Sig 1911-22.  It's the desert tan one with the US grips.  

It really all comes down to your preference.  Which is why I recommended renting a few to try or find a buddy to go shooting with that will let you try theirs.  Most gun enthusiasts are more than happy to show off their hardware.  Call around a few ranges and see if they have a first time shooters class.  Most places have them VERY cheap because we love getting new people into the sport.  Be warned though.  It's addictive and expensive...kinda like building computers. But fun as hell!

Push more snap back?  What does that mean?

I think that's because .380 is seen as an ideal caliber for concealed carry guns so I'd assume they make a lot of small and light .380 pistols.  

I only have have a few friends and none like guns...    They seem to forget they can be used for more than killing.  

Like a shotgun.  What I want most is a nice shotgun to go target shooting with.  I'd like to try the various "games" or whatever you'd call them like skeet shooting.  

But I'm still living with my parents and my mom is hardcore anti-gun.  I think I could get away with buying a shotgun because my dad doesn't seem like he'd mind but my mom would be crazy disappointed and maybe even mad at me if I got a shotgun.  So I'm not sure if it's worth upsetting her.  Something I'd want ro consider more carefully to see if there's anything I could do to reassure her if I got one.  

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Maybe the gun was too light to absorb more of the recoil?

For a newbie id recomend either .22 magnum or .32 in wadcutter or s&w long.

Or 9mm if you can handle a little recoil.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

On 2/27/2017 at 9:16 AM, Corrupt_Liberty said:

The Surefire X400 is probably a better Laser/Light combo if you want THE BEST.  But I don't think it's worth 4x the price.  The TLR4 is pretty damn good for the money.

Right thanks-  TLR4-G it is

Well was going to buy a Remington 700 for 22-250 last night but decided to buy a new computer case... Phanteks Elite.. Not sure what I would get more use out of but still happy either way. On another note, I instead got a Mauser baynet dated 1937. It needs a little work redone to the blade as someone that doesnt know what they were doing tried to sharpen it and messed it all up so that will have to get fixed but it still looks really nice and glad I bought it for my gun collection for WWII firearms.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

On 2/27/2017 at 1:22 PM, Real_PhillBert said:

Renewed my ND CCW yesterday. 

Unfortunatly in ND you have to sit through the whole 6 hr class to renew a Class 1 permit. Hard to believe it's been five years already. 

Some of those people in the class scare me, the instructor had to actually explain the difference between a moon clip, magazine, and speed loader to one guy. I almost facedesk'd.

Interesting. Virginia only requires a safety course and $50 to get a concealed handgun permit. The safety course can even be taken online. Not sure if there's a requirement to redo the course after 5 years, but I don't think so. It's specifically a handgun permit though. Open carry is legal regardless of whether or not you have a permit.

1 minute ago, TopDollar said:

Interesting. Virginia only requires a safety course and $50 to get a concealed handgun permit. The safety course can even be taken online. Not sure if there's a requirement to redo the course after 5 years, but I don't think so. It's specifically a handgun permit though. Open carry is legal regardless of whether or not you have a permit.

Our open carry is legal without a permit, but only from an hour before dawn, to an hour after dark. A bit odd, but open carry is stupid anyway :P

Unfortunately we have to sit through the class and even the shooting test every five years. I was boring the first time, and worse the second :P But there is a bill working it's way through our state legislature that would allow for constitutional carry, concealed without a permit. I hope it passes but I would still need a permit anyway just for the reciprocity with other states that I regularly travel to. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Well I just bought my first suppressor and I am really excited to get it (after my stamp tax of course). I got the SilencerCo Hybrid on sale for $400 + $200 in store credit so I couldn't pass it up right now.

8kxe58Z.png

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

54 minutes ago, Poohy14 said:

Well I just bought my first suppressor and I am really excited to get it (after my stamp tax of course). I got the SilencerCo Hybrid on sale for $400 + $200 in store credit so I couldn't pass it up right now.

8kxe58Z.png

Let the waiting game begin!

3 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

lol wish it didnt take so long because it would be fun to use this while I hunt Coyotes. I really hope I got a good suppressor and its not junk, but only time will tell and all of the reviews told me it was really good for the price. Now all I need is a .22 silencer and I will be set.

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Poohy14 said:

8kxe58Z.png

3 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

If you are all tired of the waiting game (and the $200 tax) call your congressmen and ask them to support the Hearing Protection Act of 2017 HR 367.  

The Hearing Protection Act seeks to remove suppressors from the NFA and instead have their purchase and transfer treated the same as a long gun – no more $200 tax or extensive waiting period – customers will now undergo an instantaneous NICS background check. Also included in the bill language is a provision to refund the $200 transfer tax to applicants who purchased a suppressor after October 22, 2015 – the original date of introduction

Edited by Corrupt_Liberty
Edited for clarification

2 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

If you are all tired of the waiting game (and the $200 tax) call your congressmen and ask them to support the Hearing Protection Act of 2017 HR 367.  

The Hearing Protection Act seeks to remove suppressors from the NFA and instead have their purchase and transfer treated the same as a long gun – no more $200 tax or extensive waiting period – customers will now undergo an instantaneous NICS background check. Also included in the bill language is a provision to refund the $200 transfer tax to applicants who purchased a suppressor after October 22, 2015 – the original date of introduction

yeah I already did that and even signed that petition for it as well. I personally do not mind the wait, its the $200 tax for it that I do not like.

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

I think it's safe to say that we are all familiar with this already :P

38 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I think it's safe to say that we are all familiar with this already :P

Maybe, maybe not.  Every little bit helps though.  I knew when this bill was originally proposed it didn't have a chance.  But now?  I'm mildly optimistic.