Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
23 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

Today was f*ckings scary!

Was at the range and some guy with a snub-nose 44 magnum was testing some Home chsrges ammo... His revolver exploaded!

Holy shit. Any serious inuries or was he lucky?

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

21 minutes ago, Urishima said:

Holy shit. Any serious inuries or was he lucky?

He was lucky as hell, his protective glasses Split right down the middle left glass but the shrapnel didnt hit his eye! (Half the barrel/magazine (dunno what its called in english) was missing and the top of the frame was blown off...

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

1 hour ago, WowMuchName said:

K, so I'm looking at parts, and I find some (lowers or uppers) that are "complete", so could I take a complete upper and complete lower and put them together? That easy? Or will I need some pins and stuff

You can buy a complete upper, and a complete lower and be good to go. The completed lower will have the takedown pins already on it. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

K, so I'm looking at parts, and I find some (lowers or uppers) that are "complete", so could I take a complete upper and complete lower and put them together? That easy? Or will I need some pins and stuff

That's the general idea. Less work that way but less personalized.

41 minutes ago, Charger said:

That's the general idea. Less work that way but less personalized.

Yup thats the easy way, if im building a gun id like to BUILD IT. (Mill, drill, weld, machine stuff with my lathe, harden whatever needs to me hardened, carve my own stock from wood that i got from my own little patch of forrest in my back yard, do the finishing myself (i prefer dark wood with light smoke brushed steel) probably engrave it and do some Copper inlays too.)

Ps: studying to become a gunsmith, this is what i will be doing at school for the next two years if i get accepted into gunsmithing school.

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

3 hours ago, WowMuchName said:

What Real_PhillBert said is correct but i will add that something listed as "complete upper" sometimes lack some parts.

Complete uppers will sometimes lack things like Sites, hand guard,  bolt carrier group, and/or charging handle.

Complete lowers usually are actually complete, but every so often i have seen some lacking a stock, or a trigger, or even a buffer spring & buffer. 

I'll also add that should you have to buy your own BCG (Bolt carrier group) don't cheap out on it.  Make sure you get one from a reputable brand as there are a lot of BCGs out there that are labelled as "mil-spec" but are very much not Mil-spec.  I learned that the hard way with my AR build.

6 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

What Real_PhillBert said is correct but i will add that something listed as "complete upper" sometimes lack some parts.

Complete uppers will sometimes lack things like Sites, hand guard,  bolt carrier group, and/or charging handle.

Complete lowers usually are actually complete, but every so often i have seen some lacking a stock, or a trigger, or even a buffer spring & buffer. 

I'll also add that should you have to buy your own BCG (Bolt carrier group) don't cheap out on it.  Make sure you get one from a reputable brand as there are a lot of BCGs out there that are labelled as "mil-spec" but are very much not Mil-spec.  I learned that the hard way with my AR build.

Wow, thanks!

3 minutes ago, WowMuchName said:

Wow, thanks!

Thanks for what?

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

I wanna see an S&W 500 but with a six bullet chamber and semi-auto/2 round burst/3 round burst/full auto capabilities. I also want the ammo to be hyper velocity and be a longer boat tail round design. I also want the muzzle break to direct all the gas upwards to focus stopping upward recoil. I'm hoping to one day get around to building such a gun myself.

40 minutes ago, Sirgeorge said:

I wanna see an S&W 500 but with a six bullet chamber and semi-auto/2 round burst/3 round burst/full auto capabilities. I also want the ammo to be hyper velocity and be a longer boat tail round design. I also want the muzzle break to direct all the gas upwards to focus stopping upward recoil. I'm hoping to one day get around to building such a gun myself.

The heck are you hunting?

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

57 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

What are your guys' opinions on Anderson's RF-85 implementation?

(for those who don't know, here's a link that explains it)

https://www.andersonrifles.com/how-rf85-works/

Seems like snake oil to me.

I would want to see testing by independent users before i would ever spend my own money on that.  If it turns out to be everything they say it is then great, but until then i will not hold my breath.

My peace of mind mostly. Honestly I would hope to be able to make it as an art piece (a functional one) so that, in it of itself, is enough to go for it (later). As for if I were to go hunting, I would take a 1 pounder Punt gun retooled for a single shot bolt action with a rifled barrel and, again, using hyper velocity ammo. I would prefer an HE version but you would have to have custom ammo at that point. To reduce recoil, I would use a regular side redirecting muzzle break with a recoil pad in the stock.

Obviously for big game hunting where I want the thrill of possibly missing my literally only shot.

4 hours ago, carguy86 said:

Yup thats the easy way, if im building a gun id like to BUILD IT. (Mill, drill, weld, machine stuff with my lathe, harden whatever needs to me hardened, carve my own stock from wood that i got from my own little patch of forrest in my back yard, do the finishing myself (i prefer dark wood with light smoke brushed steel) probably engrave it and do some Copper inlays too.)

Ps: studying to become a gunsmith, this is what i will be doing at school for the next two years if i get accepted into gunsmithing school.

I have not gone quiet that far yet but I have made most my own tools for some builds. Barrel vise and inserts for it, receiver wrench, barrel nut wrench, made a few parts for some things

13 hours ago, WowMuchName said:

Err, the info thunderpup gave me

But you quoted me xD

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

4 hours ago, carguy86 said:

But you quoted me xD

maybe he quoted you another time and that's just the one you happened to see?

xD for me, it shows I quoted him :/

me too

6 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

me too

Hmmm, welp. Okay then xD

9 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

me too

I think i know what caused this.... I shouldnt drink and forum xD

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

2 hours ago, carguy86 said:

I think i know what caused this.... I shouldnt drink and forum xD

xD

I've been wanting a silencer for a while now and I won't be spending 600 to 1000 dollars for one so I'll have a CNC machine shop make it.

first is the material.

I've been thinking 4150 steel but is there any steel that is better than 4150 steel for this application? 

Second is the design.

it will be .525 caliber so I can shoot anything I want in an ar15 and ar10 platform or something like 50 as.

it will be a monolithic bafffle design.

rhe first part will have the threads and this will about .5 inches but I'll extend it to .8 inches as the outside will contain threads for the baffle seal. The end of the suppressor will also contain threads on the out outside.

the end of the suppressor will also contain 4 .15 caliber holes as well advanced the main .525 caliber hole for the projectile.

the outside Of the baffle seal at the end will also contain threads on the front end so that I can mount caps with different sized caliber holes for different calibers.

the tube seal will of course have two sets of threads on the inside at both ends and will be made of the same material. It will be .28 inches thick.

the baffles will be Madrid out of cross sectioned circles(not sure how thick they will be) the very first two baffles will be definitely thicker than the rest by a significant percentage than the rest.

the baffles will be connected by 2 somewhat thick rods(they're machined out of a single metal tube so remember that) I would say 4 for extra rigidity but I'm not sure that can accomplished by a CNC machine. 

I will make the baffles 2.8 inch diameter.

i would also like the suppressor to be semi modular so I might stop the baffles somewhere in the middle and add a .5 inch piece with threads on the inside. 

So that if I wish I would Be able to split up the suppressor into two to reduce the weight.

458 socom clearly needs less volume than 9mm.

my question is is it possible for a CNC machine to make this with no human intervention other than moving the pieces around?

how long would it take a CNC machine to make this?

Is there better steel I can use and where can I buy it?

what software could I use to design this? Could I use solid works?

am I wasting on using steel? I imagine it would be heavy. Would it better be to use titanium or aluminum? The most powerful cartridge I'd be firing, possibly, would be something like 500 S&W magnum or something like 500 phantom or 510 beck.

alao i came up with the design very recently, last night, and I couldn't come up with any sort of locking system to keep the suppressor in place when firing. Can anybody help me out with designing a locking system so the silencer doesn't unscrew itself when firing? The ak platform already has such a system with these sort of login lugs from the barrel but unfortunately ars dont, for some reason.

3 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

I've been wanting a silencer for a while now and I won't be spending 600 to 1000 dollars for one so I'll have a CNC machine shop make it.

first is the material.

I've been thinking 4150 steel but is there any steel that is better than 4150 steel for this application? 

Second is the design.

it will be .525 caliber so I can shoot anything I want in an ar15 and ar10 platform or something like 50 as.

it will be a monolithic bafffle design.

rhe first part will have the threads and this will about .5 inches but I'll extend it to .8 inches as the outside will contain threads for the baffle seal. The end of the suppressor will also contain threads on the out outside.

the end of the suppressor will also contain 4 .15 caliber holes as well advanced the main .525 caliber hole for the projectile.

the outside Of the baffle seal at the end will also contain threads on the front end so that I can mount caps with different sized caliber holes for different calibers.

the tube seal will of course have two sets of threads on the inside at both ends and will be made of the same material. It will be .28 inches thick.

the baffles will be Madrid out of cross sectioned circles(not sure how thick they will be) the very first two baffles will be definitely thicker than the rest by a significant percentage than the rest.

the baffles will be connected by 2 somewhat thick rods(they're machined out of a single metal tube so remember that) I would say 4 for extra rigidity but I'm not sure that can accomplished by a CNC machine. 

I will make the baffles 2.8 inch diameter.

i would also like the suppressor to be semi modular so I might stop the baffles somewhere in the middle and add a .5 inch piece with threads on the inside. 

So that if I wish I would Be able to split up the suppressor into two to reduce the weight.

my question is is it possible for a CNC machine to make this with no human intervention other than moving the pieces around?

how long would it take a CNC machine to make this?

Is there better steel I can use and where can I buy it?

what software could I use to design this? Could I use solid works?

am I wasting on using steel? I imagine it would be heavy. Would it better be to use titanium or aluminum? The most powerful cartridge I'd be firing, possibly, would be something like 500 S&W magnum or something like 500 phantom or 510 beck.

alao i came up with the design very recently, last night, and I couldn't come up with any sort of locking system to keep the suppressor in place when firing. Can anybody help me out with designing a locking system so the silencer doesn't unscrew itself when firing? The ak platform already has such a system with these sort of login lugs from the barrel but unfortunately ars dont, for some reason.

How about making one from aluminium or some form of plastic to avoid having a Heavy lump on the end of your barrel? (Only concern is temperature and for the plastic would also be hardness)

But by using a lighter matereals you will be able to use a larger supressor with less strain on the barrel.

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

9 hours ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

Let me stop you right there, Suppressors are considered a title II firearm by the ATF, any machine shop who makes one for you without already being a class 3 manufacturer would not be able to make this for you without being in violation of federal law. You could however make one under an ATF form 1, but only YOU could make it; you COULD NOT hire out the physical construction to a machine shop as you have said.

Huh? No, 458 Socom would need significantly more volume than a 9mm, in order to achieve the same pressure out of the suppressor. 

1) my question is is it possible for a CNC machine to make this with no human intervention other than moving the pieces around?

2) how long would it take a CNC machine to make this?

3) Is there better steel I can use and where can I buy it?

4) what software could I use to design this? Could I use solid works?

5) am I wasting on using steel? I imagine it would be heavy. Would it better be to use titanium or aluminum? The most powerful cartridge I'd be firing, possibly, would be something like 500 S&W magnum or something like 500 phantom or 510 beck.

1) Possible, sure.

2) Depends on the specific machine and tooling. 

3) Better than 4150? Yes. Assuming you didnt want to use something like a grade 5 titanium, I would be opting for something like 416 Stainless for corrosion resistance and hardness.

4) Anything you want, solid works would work, as would Inventor, fusion, Pro-e, Creo, unigraphics etc. You'd export the files as an IGES file to a machine program anyway, so the base file type doesnt much matter.

5) Yes. Titanium is much better suited to this kind of task than 4150. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro