Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
2 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Maybe, maybe not.  Every little bit helps though.  I knew when this bill was originally proposed it didn't have a chance.  But now?  I'm mildly optimistic. 

I'm not. Too many people's only experiences with them are from action movies. 

I would love for it to pass, I really would; but I don't see that happening. The republicans have a majority of both house and senate but only 54 seats, so if it needs debate (extremely likely) it would take 60 votes to reach cloture, so six democrats assuming zero defections on the republican side. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

HELP.....

I seriously want a RIA 1911 double stack 9mm/.22

I have fallen completely in love with the 1911 after working on a few of them and now i want one.

Gunsmithing is dangerous, it might attack your wallet at any time so we must deal with it *bang*

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Sad news, I had to send my RMR back to Trijicon. After ~750 rounds it developed an occasional failure where the dot would slowly fade out after a shot was fired, then return if you fired another shot or racked the slide. 2-4 week turn around time according to Trijicon. :(

25 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

HELP.....

I have fallen completely in love with the 1911 after working on a few of them and now i want one.

Gunsmithing is dangerous, it might attack your wallet at any time so we must deal with it *bang*

I know the basic RIA 1911s have a good reputation, but the only 2011's I have any experience with are STI race guns like this:

dvc-limited.jpg

I cant afford them but the guys who can are usually very willing to let others try them out. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

3 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Sad news, I had to send my RMR back to Trijicon. After ~750 rounds it developed an occasional failure where the dot would slowly fade out after a shot was fired, then return if you fired another shot or racked the slide. 2-4 week turn around time according to Trijicon. :(

I know the basic RIA 1911s have a good reputation, but the only 2011's I have any experience with are STI race guns like this:

I cant afford them but the guys who can are usually very willing to let others try them out. 

*Ahem* why should i buy a fancy 1911 when i can get a Basic 1911 and then build a better than fancy 1911 for just the cost of the materials? (And obviously the time i need to spend making parts)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

2 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

*Ahem* why should i buy a fancy 1911 when i can get a Basic 1911 and then build a better than fancy 1911 for just the cost of the materials? (And obviously the time i need to spend making parts)

Those are dedicated competition guns... You want to be competitive in USPSA Limited? Not going to happen with a standard 1911.

I shoot USPSA Production and am looking to move to Carry Optics division with the G19.

Just now, Real_PhillBert said:

Those are dedicated competition guns... You want to be competitive in USPSA Limited? Not going to happen with a standard 1911.

I shoot USPSA Production and am looking to move to Carry Optics division with the G19.

most of the shooting i do is pistol class silouette shooting or target practice.

And a standard 1911 wouldnt remain standard in ny ownership, i would replace all the things i could without breaking the law. (Wich as previously mentioned i'd be making myself)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

On 2/28/2017 at 9:35 PM, TopDollar said:

Interesting. Virginia only requires a safety course and $50 to get a concealed handgun permit. The safety course can even be taken online. Not sure if there's a requirement to redo the course after 5 years, but I don't think so. It's specifically a handgun permit though. Open carry is legal regardless of whether or not you have a permit.

VA Resident here.

If your CHP  (Concealed handgun permit) is expired you will need to submit proof you took the course with your application.  Your original certificate will work so you don't need to retake the class.

If you renew it prior to it expiring you won't need to provide that certificate.

Funny enough i just sent my renewal off on monday.  

2 hours ago, Thunderpup said:

VA Resident here.

If your CHP  (Concealed handgun permit) is expired you will need to submit proof you took the course with your application.  Your original certificate will work so you don't need to retake the class.

If you renew it prior to it expiring you won't need to provide that certificate.

Funny enough i just sent my renewal off on monday.  

Gotchya. This probably varies city to city (I'm in Chesapeake), but do you happen to know the process for updating your address on the CHP? Moved about 8 months ago or so. I know the permit is still valid even if the address doesn't match, but it would be nice to be able to use it as a form of ID for gun purchases again. I might just wait until I renew it though.

Also, since I think you're a Hampton Roads resident as well, have you been to C2 Shooting Center? I've been looking at doing some of their courses. I normally shoot at Superior Pawn & Gun next to Lynnhaven Mall.

1 hour ago, TopDollar said:

Gotchya. This probably varies city to city (I'm in Chesapeake), but do you happen to know the process for updating your address on the CHP? 

Also, since I think you're a Hampton Roads resident as well, have you been to C2 Shooting Center? I've been looking at doing some of their courses. I normally shoot at Superior Pawn & Gun next to Lynnhaven Mall.

For the change of address this is the info from the state police as well as a link to the source.

Change of Address – Section 18.2-308.011

The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit due to a change of address shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#ChangeofAddress

As far as C2 is concerned i have not.  I keep meaning to take my Garand out there to install my ported gas plug, but i never seem to find the time.

I've been to colonial though, which is the one on VB blvd near the Harley Dealership, it's a nice facility, but a little anal  on somethings. 

23 hours ago, carguy86 said:

HELP.....

You mean like this?  I love mine.  I do have a nose dive issue with 9mm though.  Keep meaning to get a new magazine to see if that's the issue.

20150828_230205.jpg

20150429_173857.jpg

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

23 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I've never been a fan of USPSA/IPSC.  You have to have serious equipment to be competitive.  IDPA is much more to my liking. "Service equipment" only.  I think it translates better to real world applications.

24 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

I've never been a fan of USPSA/IPSC.  You have to have serious equipment to be competitive.  IDPA is much more to my liking. "Service equipment" only.  I think it translates better to real world applications.

I used to shoot IDPA before USPSA; I greatly prefer USPSA. 

It really only gets spendy when you want to get out of production class, Limited is spendy, and Open will make your head hurt. I've been shooting Production for the last three years or so for that very reason, but am now building up my G19 for Carry Optics. I'll be one of those guys with a $2500 glock lol. :D I'm really not super good, I've won a handful of stages but never a match, I just do it for the enjoyment. 

I could never get over some of the rules of IDPA like not dumping mags with ammo in them, USPSA is a bit more open with its rules. Plus, no stupid fishing vests! :P

I enjoyed IDPA for a long time, then I moved and the local club shot USPSA instead of IDPA so I decided to give that a go. I greatly prefer it, but different strokes for different folks. 

2 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

You mean like this?  I love mine.  I do have a nose dive issue with 9mm though.  Keep meaning to get a new magazine to see if that's the issue.

Requesting permission to slip hand down into pants :P

Seriously tho, I LOVE IT!

If i had one i would get my frame and slide cerakoted deep metallic red and get everything else that is visible finished in some sort of black nickel (id keep those g10 grips but add a finger groove spacer)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

3 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I used to shoot IDPA before USPSA; I greatly prefer USPSA. 

It really only gets spendy when you want to get out of production class, Limited is spendy, and Open will make your head hurt. I've been shooting Production for the last three years or so for that very reason, but am now building up my G19 for Carry Optics. I'll be one of those guys with a $2500 glock lol. :D I'm really not super good, I've won a handful of stages but never a match, I just do it for the enjoyment. 

I could never get over some of the rules of IDPA like not dumping mags with ammo in them, USPSA is a bit more open with its rules. Plus, no stupid fishing vests! :P

I enjoyed IDPA for a long time, then I moved and the local club shot USPSA instead of IDPA so I decided to give that a go. I greatly prefer it, but different strokes for different folks. 

Some of the rules can be a pain but they are geared toward self-defense.  Dropping partially loaded magazines is tactically unsound.  I may end up getting into USPSA though because the only range around here that did IDPA closed down (thanks to the gun hating folks in Columbus that sued them into bankruptcy).  

58 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

Requesting permission to slip hand down into pants :P

Seriously tho, I LOVE IT!

If i had one i would get my frame and slide cerakoted deep metallic red and get everything else that is visible finished in some sort of black nickel (id keep those g10 grips but add a finger groove spacer)

That's actually a black cerakote on there, it came parkerized.  The stainless accents aren't original either.  And the factory grips on the double stack are horrible.  Those grips are actually for a Para P18.9 double stack.  Had to modify them a bit with a dremel to make them fit.  Turned out pretty good though I think.

5 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Some of the rules can be a pain but they are geared toward self-defense.  Dropping partially loaded magazines is tactically unsound.  I may end up getting into USPSA though because the only range around here that did IDPA closed down (thanks to the gun hating folks in Columbus that sued them into bankruptcy).  

Not trying to start a thing, but the bolded part I think is questionable, at least for non-LEO and non-Mil guys. Allow me to explain.

My daily carry is a G19 with 15 rounds, then two 19 round reloads (G17 mags with +2 base pads on them). I've seen an FBI report that stated the average number of rounds fired in a defensive use of a firearm is 2, a quick google search only turned up the numbers of justifiable homicides nothing on number of shots fired, so I'll do more digging and see if I can find it. So for the sake of argument lets go with 5 X the normal engagement, 10 rounds; after which my gun is down to 5 left. 

So here's where I'm going to start to argue with your statement a bit, if I take that mag out, and throw it into a volcano then put a fresh 19 rounder in, I have 20 in the gun at this point, and another 19 on the belt. If I cannot handle whatever is coming with those 39 rounds, (remember this is after an engagement 5x the "Normal" self defensive engagement) I really need a rifle, not the 4 rounds left in that mag I dumped into the volcano. 

That's without even mentioning what are you going to do with that extra mag? Shove it in a pocket? In the now empty mag carrier? I'd argue that in situations like this that last seconds your time is best spent with your hands on the gun, not stowing a partial mag. 

This all falls apart when you start talking about Mil and LEO guys, they face a very different situation and in their place (backup and resupply, even air support) I would agree with your statement. But as a CCL guy... I dont. Then again, I carry a much larger amount of ammo than most CCL guys, so that might play a part too. :P

24 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

This all falls apart when you start talking about Mil and LEO guys, they face a very different situation and in their place (backup and resupply, even air support) I would agree with your statement. But as a CCL guy... I dont. Then again, I carry a much larger amount of ammo than most CCL guys, so that might play a part too. :P

You make a fair point.  And yeah, I have at most 8 in the gun and 7 on the belt (I'm a 1911 guy).  Light days I'll only carry my P238 with 6+1 and rarely an extra mag.  I always have my POS Taurus in the car though if for some reason the Zombie Apocalypse started.  It carries 15+1 .40 and two extra mags.  I would like a cheap rifle in the trunk but A, I haven't found one I like enough to use but not enough to care if it's in the trunk all the time B,  haven't found a way to securely store it in the vehicle and still be easy to get to and C, legal issues with loaded rifle mags in a car in the great state of OHIO kind of make that a problem.

1 hour ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

That's actually a black cerakote on there, it came parkerized.  The stainless accents aren't original either.  And the factory grips on the double stack are horrible.  Those grips are actually for a Para P18.9 double stack.  Had to modify them a bit with a dremel to make them fit.  Turned out pretty good though I think.

I made an error, i want a single stack (not widebody)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

6 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

I made an error, i want a single stack (not widebody)

When I purchased that one the single stack wasn't out yet.  I wouldn't mind having a single stack though.  Maybe next time. 

12 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

When I purchased that one the single stack wasn't out yet.  I wouldn't mind having a single stack though.  Maybe next time. 

You can never have too many 1911 (except if you live in Norway..... We have laws that stop you from owning more than one gun of X type)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

I recently bought a Star Model S. It is like a mini 1911 chambered in .380ACP. I have not shot it yet but next time I go to the range...

It looks exactly like the one in the picture but the picture is not mine. It is slightly bigger than a 3.5" HDD (for size reference). Mine is in mint condition with the original box, papers, mag and price tag.

2145545_01_star_380_640.jpg

12 hours ago, carguy86 said:

You can never have too many 1911 (except if you live in Norway..... We have laws that stop you from owning more than one gun of X type)

What kind of terrible law is that?  Can you have say a Colt 1911 and a Springfield 1911?  I just can't even imagine.  The Horror.

52 minutes ago, eatont9999 said:

I recently bought a Star Model S. It is like a mini 1911 chambered in .380ACP. I have not shot it yet but next time I go to the range...

It looks exactly like the one in the picture but the picture is not mine. It is slightly bigger than a 3.5" HDD (for size reference). Mine is in mint condition with the original box, papers, mag and price tag.

Star Model S is on my short list along with a Colt Mustang.  I do love those "mini 1911" style guns. Here's my Sig P238 with her older sibling. (and where the hell is the all stainless P938, SIg ?!?)

20150329_215738.jpg

8 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

What kind of terrible law is that?  Can you have say a Colt 1911 and a Springfield 1911?  I just can't even imagine.  The Horror.

Only if they are a different caliber and you can document that you need a 1911 in a different caliber for competing inaa different class....

Also this stupid law exists: "supressors need to be registrered separately from the gun with wich it is being used" (and you need permission to thread your barrel for mounting ANY THREAD ON ACSESSORY!!! )

They now want to limit the amount of supressors we can have to one.

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

I've never owned a gun but need to know or well just really want too due to robberies all around my house what's a good gun to have in north Carolina usa for self defense

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

8 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

Only if they are a different caliber and you can document that you need a 1911 in a different caliber for competing inaa different class....

Also this stupid law exists: "supressors need to be registrered separately from the gun with wich it is being used" (and you need permission to thread your barrel for mounting ANY THREAD ON ACSESSORY!!! )

They now want to limit the amount of supressors we can have to one.

I think all laws against suppressors are pretty stupid.  Right now we have to submit for a background check that literally takes months and pay a $200 tax stamp for each suppressor.  There is a bill in congress right now to remove them from the NFA restriction list.  I doubt it will pass though because politicians are morons.