Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
2 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

I've never owned a gun but need to know or well just really want too due to robberies all around my house what's a good gun to have in north Carolina usa for self defense

Your options are pretty limitless.  I'd start with a safety class (they are generally cheap or free and a must for a new shooter).  For home defense you can't go wrong with a shotgun.  If you're looking for a handgun I always recommend you rent a few or find a gun friend and borrow a few to try before you settle on a purchase.  

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Just now, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Your options are pretty limitless.  I'd start with a safety class (they are generally cheap or free and a must for a new shooter).  For home defense you can't go wrong with a shotgun.  If you're looking for a handgun I always recommend you rent a few or find a gun friend and borrow a few to try before you settle on a purchase.  

I dont know anyone that has a gun....

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

Just now, Lilninjsways said:

I dont know anyone that has a gun....

Call your local gun range/store and see what they offer in the way of classes and rentals.  There's almost guaranteed to be a range nearby that would be happy to help you out.  Let them know you've never owned a gun but are interested.  They should be able to help point you in the right direction if nothing else.

1 minute ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Call your local gun range/store and see what they offer in the way of classes and rentals.  There's almost guaranteed to be a range nearby that would be happy to help you out.  Let them know you've never owned a gun but are interested.  They should be able to help point you in the right direction if nothing else.

ok thanks!

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

For Home defense id recomend him an aa12 with a big drum mag 

(Dont take this seriously, the aa12 is a fully automatic 12gauge shotgun developed for the military)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Just now, Lilninjsways said:

ok thanks!

Another thing you can do is join some gun forums.  North Carolina gun owners has a nice forum.  Talk to people and get to know them.  They will also be able to help you out.

2 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

(Dont take this seriously, the aa12 is a fully automatic 12gauge shotgun developed for the military)

I was gonna recommend a nice 20 ga pump, but your idea sounds like a lot more fun!

4 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

I was gonna recommend a nice 20 ga pump, but your idea sounds like a lot more fun!

But hey, if you miss once just scatter more bullets in their general direction :P

Also get two aa12s, their recoil absorbing ability is aparently good enough for you to dual wield them like pistols...

I would instantly keel over and die if i broke into a house and saw someone with two full auto shotguns pointed at me....

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

6 hours ago, Lilninjsways said:

ok thanks!

I second going to/calling your local gun stores/ranges.

I have a gun store with a range down the road from me and every friday they have a "sampler class" for $40 where they put 10 pistols and revolvers on some lanes for you to try out and they have an instructor briefly go over each gun's use, pros and cons, help with technique and answer any questions.

I took my mom there a few weekends back and we had a lot of fun trying out the various pistols and learned quite a bit about what we did and did not like in a pistol.

I had only ever shot rifles and shotguns till then so it was a new and cool experience.

It may be difficult to find a store/range that does the exact same sort of thing but I'd look for one that at least does some sort of weekly/monthly special on rentals and rent a hand full of guns in various calibers and styles to try and see if there are things you like and do not like.

15 hours ago, carguy86 said:

If they ever make a Semi-version of that beast i will make it a my mission in life to acquire it.

15 hours ago, Lilninjsways said:

ok thanks!

I concur with the check your local range/store, but also if you take a liking to the shooting sports you should look into any local clubs.

There are likely some private clubs with their own ranges near you.  

20 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

If they ever make a Semi-version of that beast i will make it a my mission in life to acquire it.

I concur with the check your local range/store, but also if you take a liking to the shooting sports you should look into any local clubs.

There are likely some private clubs with their own ranges near you.  

Why not "just" get the full auto?

Making the assumption that you live in a state where this is legal :P

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

So I saw you talking about dropping loaded mags, and while I'm totally not a guy with experience from abroad and real situations, I do have a military training.

At least when using an assault rifle, exchanging a partially empty mag for a fuller one is something that is done.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

8 minutes ago, RatedBlam said:

So I saw you talking about dropping loaded mags, and while I'm totally not a guy with experience from abroad and real situations, I do have a military training.

At least when using an assault rifle, exchanging a partially empty mag for a fuller one is something that is done.

In combat you would save crucial time by not needing to pull the charging handle so it makes sense there.

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

27 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

In combat you would save crucial time by not needing to pull the charging handle so it makes sense there.

Yep, and you never want the gun to go "click", outside of the shooting range.

Staying ontop of your ammo count is important, that's why the mags have viewing holes in the spine.

Also we never dropped mags on the ground, unless we absolutely had to. There's a baggy attached to the combat vest made for storing empty ones and candy bars.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

53 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

Why not "just" get the full auto?

Making the assumption that you live in a state where this is legal :P

Not a matter of what state you live in.  You'd need a class 3 FFL in order to own one. 

10 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

Not a matter of what state you live in.  You'd need a class 3 FFL in order to own one. 

Oh.... But i assume that it would be expensive and that you'd need to jump through hoops to get it?

But if you have a class 3 ffl and concealed carry permit could you carry an MP5, folding stock, short barrel ak47 or full auto glock?

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

25 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

Oh.... But i assume that it would be expensive and that you'd need to jump through hoops to get it?

But if you have a class 3 ffl and concealed carry permit could you carry an MP5, folding stock, short barrel ak47 or full auto glock?

A FFL is a federal firearms license that the ATF issues for dealers/manufacturers/importers.  It is very expensive and time consuming to get approved for one, and you have to have a business located on commercially zoned property before they will even look at you.  A class 3 is one of the classes of FFL, and this one provides the ability to deal in firearms regulated under the NFA, which include select fire weapons.

An FFL isn't a license to carry, but it does give you a permissible purpose for transport.

Also a concealed carry permit typically only provides you the ability to carry a concealed hand gun.  an MP5 and a AK typically arent classified as handguns, though there are exceptions to that.

Also i dont know of any state law that permits carrying an automatic firearm so the glock would be out too.  

Well went to the Gun Show this morning and picked up something new. Bought a 1968 British Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine (pictures below)

Spoiler

uVUbI3y.jpg
AYvmzaO.jpg
XpuQ0FU.jpg
XpIkB2x.jpg

Also decided to take some nice pictures of my 1943 Mosin Nagant 91/30 while I was at it.

Spoiler

FQASdrx.jpg
ok3TI5Q.jpg
IDHd1k5.jpg

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

3 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

A FFL is a federal firearms license that the ATF issues for dealers/manufacturers/importers.  It is very expensive and time consuming to get approved for one, and you have to have a business located on commercially zoned property before they will even look at you.  A class 3 is one of the classes of FFL, and this one provides the ability to deal in firearms regulated under the NFA, which include select fire weapons.

An FFL isn't a license to carry, but it does give you a permissible purpose for transport.

Also a concealed carry permit typically only provides you the ability to carry a concealed hand gun.  an MP5 and a AK typically arent classified as handguns, though there are exceptions to that.

Also i dont know of any state law that permits carrying an automatic firearm so the glock would be out too.  

So id just get a volcanic repeater to carry.

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

ND Constitutional Carry passed the senate, now all we need is the governor to sign it and we wont need a permit anymore. 

I'm expecting him to sign it since it passed the senate with more than a veto proof majority so I doubt he'll expend the political capital needed to keep it from happening. 

I'd still need my permit since I commonly venture into MN and SD, but those who stay in ND would not need a permit for a concealed weapon anymore. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

UPDATE: ND Governor Burgum has signed the constitutional carry bill! 

http://www.inforum.com/news/4239798-burgum-signs-bill-allowing-concealed-firearms-be-carried-without-permit

Go us!! 

The bill takes effect Aug 1st 2017.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

• 3 weeks later...

Got some more goodies in this weekend! Zev Tech Ultimate trigger kit and a titanium pin set.

2017-04-07%2012.09.25_zpsqtold1r3.jpg

However, as it life is for a perfectionist, the trigger housing pin was longer than I'd like. 

2017-04-07%2013.17.02_zpsabsvaumk.jpg

I called Zev and was told that since the 3rd and fourth gen trigger housing pins were so close in length they just use the 3rd gen pin for both third and fourth gen guns. Bummer.

So I did what any senseable person would do, and broke out the milling machine and took 80 thousands off the pin.

2017-04-07%2014.07.34_zps8fx1pxqs.jpg

Much better!

2017-04-07%2014.53.06_zpsovfetkfa.jpg

I put about 200 rounds through it Saturday and wasnt really blown away with the trigger as it came, but they are fully adjustable so after an hour or so of tuning I have it running beautifully now. I dialed as much pre-travel out of it as is possible, and got the reset down to barely any precived motion on the trigger. Plus I think it looks pretty sharp.

2017-04-09%2017.46.53_zpsmfajhd4i.jpg

Magwell next month and then the frame will go off for stippling and the slide will go off for milling. It's coming along nicely. 

Quick question for you guys.

I got into skeet over this past summer, and want to get back into it again this summer. My current shotgun is an old Marlin bolt action 12 gauge. Not really skeet friendly on the doubles.

I would like a Benelli since I'm very familiar with them; however, they are a bit out of my price range. I'm currently considering the Beretta 1301 Comp because it looks to be comparable to the Benelli. I'm going to shoot it before I decide; however, would there be any other guns that anyone might suggest as well?

18 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Quick question for you guys.

I got into skeet over this past summer, and want to get back into it again this summer. My current shotgun is an old Marlin bolt action 12 gauge. Not really skeet friendly on the doubles.

I would like a Benelli since I'm very familiar with them; however, they are a bit out of my price range. I'm currently considering the Beretta 1311 Comp because it looks to be comparable to the Benelli. I'm going to shoot it before I decide; however, would there be any other guns that anyone might suggest as well?

*DISCLAIMER* I am far from an expert clay shooter *DISCLAIMER*

Do you mean the 1301? I couldn't find a 1311 on the Berretta web site. 

The majority of my clay experience is my companies yearly trap day, the company rents out a local skeet and trap range and buys all the ammo you can shoot, then we just spend a day attempting to make clay into dust. 

Anywho, I've not seen a whole lot of semi guns make it through the day (500-1000 shells) without troubles. Most semi-auto shotguns are really set up for full power hunting loads, not the cheap trap loads that everyone uses for the clay sports. I use a Winchester 1300 for this yearly event, but purely because I have one. If I was going to get a dedicated clay sports gun, an over/under gun would be the route I went. 

Just my $0.02

8 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

*DISCLAIMER* I am far from an expert clay shooter *DISCLAIMER*

Do you mean the 1301? I couldn't find a 1311 on the Berretta web site. 

The majority of my clay experience is my companies yearly trap day, the company rents out a local skeet and trap range and buys all the ammo you can shoot, then we just spend a day attempting to make clay into dust. 

Anywho, I've not seen a whole lot of semi guns make it through the day (500-1000 shells) without troubles. Most semi-auto shotguns are really set up for full power hunting loads, not the cheap trap loads that everyone uses for the clay sports. I use a Winchester 1300 for this yearly event, but purely because I have one. If I was going to get a dedicated clay sports gun, an over/under gun would be the route I went. 

Just my $0.02

Yes, I meant the 1301, and it's fixed. Thank you.

Yes, I'm aware of garbage amunition, and I've seen quite a few of the semi-auto's having issues as well. The only one I've never seen fail is the Benelli. I've never seen the Beretta at the range though. I would like to get into 3 gun competitions, which will be possible when I move in 2 years to a state that actually allows certain types of guns and modifications. So the semi-auto appeals to me a little bit more, though I do like the appeal of simplicity with the over-under. Not a fan of side-by-side.

I will be getting into hunting this year, so it will have a life outside of 4-ish hours a week at the range making orange dust.

I'm in school, so until the semester ends, I won't have much time to go talk to my normal shooting group. I am young and have internet. They are all old, retired farmers, that don't really care much for anything aside from a standard touch-tone house phone. But they are a good group, anyways. have you had any experience with any specific models for over-unders? I have access to a bunch to try out at the local gun club.

And $0.02  is always welcome.