Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
44 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Let me stop you right there, Suppressors are considered a title II firearm by the ATF, any machine shop who makes one for you without already being a class 3 manufacturer would not be able to make this for you without being in violation of federal law. You could however make one under an ATF form 1, but only YOU could make it; you COULD NOT hire out the physical construction to a machine shop as you have said.

Huh? No, 458 Socom would need significantly more volume than a 9mm, in order to achieve the same pressure out of the suppressor. 

1) Possible, sure.

2) Depends on the specific machine and tooling. 

3) Better than 4150? Yes. Assuming you didnt want to use something like a grade 5 titanium, I would be opting for something like 416 Stainless for corrosion resistance and hardness.

4) Anything you want, solid works would work, as would Inventor, fusion, Pro-e, Creo, unigraphics etc. You'd export the files as an IGES file to a machine program anyway, so the base file type doesnt much matter.

5) Yes. Titanium is much better suited to this kind of task than 4150. 

I'm aware of the form one and technically speaking I'm only borrowing their tools, the CNC machine.

its still legal.

i meant the other way around.

why would titanium be better? Is it stronger over all? What about elastic capability of constantly experiencing bursts of high pressure from firing the gun? 

Edited design

I've been wanting a silencer for a while now and I won't be spending 600 to 1000 dollars for one so I'll have a CNC machine shop make it.

first is the material.
I've been thinking 4150 steel but is there any steel that is better than 4150 steel for this application? 

Second is the design.
it will be .525 caliber so I can shoot anything I want in an ar15 and ar10 platform or something like 50 as.
it will be a monolithic bafffle design.
rhe first part will have the threads and this will about .5 inches but I'll extend it to .8 inches as the outside will contain threads for the baffle seal. The end of the suppressor will also contain threads on the out outside.
the end of the suppressor will also contain 4 .15 caliber holes as well advanced the main .525 caliber hole for the projectile.
the outside Of the baffle seal at the end will also contain threads on the front end so that I can mount caps with different sized caliber holes for different calibers.
the tube seal will of course have two sets of threads on the inside at both ends and will be made of the same material. It will be .28 inches thick.
the baffles will be Made out of cross sectioned circles(not sure how thick they will be) the very first two baffles will be definitely thicker than the rest by a significant percentage than the rest.
the baffles will be connected by 2 somewhat thick rods(they're machined out of a single metal tube so remember that) I would say 4 for extra rigidity but I'm not sure that can accomplished by a CNC machine. 
I will make the baffles 3 inch diameter.
Also the primary expansion chamber would probably be 2 to 4 inches in length where there are no baffles.
i would also like the suppressor to be semi modular so I might stop the baffles somewhere in the middle and stop the baffles with a middle portion just being metal. It will be .6 or .8 inches long with threads on the outside for the tube seal and also at the center of the silencer where the projectile goes through there will be threads there as well so that the two pieces can be joined for larger calibers and the first piece can be used by itself for something like a pistol. Basically have the suppressor be made of two parts.
Example - 9mm clearly needs less volume than 458 socom.
my question is is it possible for a CNC machine to make this with no human intervention other than moving the pieces around?
how long would it take a CNC machine to make this?
Is there better steel I can use and where can I buy it?
what software could I use to design this? Could I use solid works?
am I wasting on using steel? I imagine it would be heavy. Would it better be to use titanium or aluminum? The most powerful cartridge I'd be firing, possibly, would be something like 500 S&W magnum or something like 500 phantom or 510 beck.
Also I would like to know if it is possible to make the tube seal from the same piece of metal that the baffles will be made of and if it's more or less economical to do this.
I would also like to know what the life expectancy of this suppressor will be when mainly shooting 5.569mm, 45 acp, 7.5 Swiss, and 300 blk with mostly super sonic and some sub sonic.
Mainly I want to know the cost of this. 
I live in Chattanooga so I have access to machine shops here in Chattanooga, Knoxville, Nashville and Atlanta.
I am looking at this being less expensive than buying one.
Also which would better to use for the design portion, autocad or solid works or perhaps something else.
Also do I need to worry about baffle strikes for things like hard cast .50 caliber 700 grain projectiles from a 50 Beowulf or something similar? 
I'd like to have a 510 beck upper and that goes up to 750 grains so again should I worry about baffle strikes? And for 50 caliber is .015 inches enough for some wiggle room or should I increase the diameter of the projectile hole?

also i came up with the design very recently, last night, and I couldn't come up with any sort of locking system to keep the suppressor in place when firing. Can anybody help me out with designing a locking system so the silencer doesn't unscrew itself when firing? The ak platform has this already with those locking outs from the barrel. Why are ar15s don't have this I don't know.

I have now truly drained my wallet, bought a steyr lg110 high power (in 4,5mm or .177 for those that want non-commie measurements) with an illuminated scope (crosshair can glow either red or green and has markings for different distances) 

Wasnt cheap tho.... Rifle (with steyr sportwaffe carrying case) and scope was 3800$ after taxes.... (Pics when i get it)

Here is steyr's page about the rifle:

http://www.steyr-sport.com/en/steyr-lg-110-high-power-hunting

Mine is regular Silver, with the simple synthetic stock. (Scope wasnt bought from steyr)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

17 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

I have now truly drained my wallet, bought a steyr lg110 high power (in 4,5mm or .177 for those that want non-commie measurements) with an illuminated scope (crosshair can glow either red or green and has markings for different distances) 

Wasnt cheap tho.... Rifle (with steyr sportwaffe carrying case) and scope was 3800$ after taxes.... (Pics when i get it)

Here is steyr's page about the rifle:

http://www.steyr-sport.com/en/steyr-lg-110-high-power-hunting

Mine is regular Silver, with the simple synthetic stock. (Scope wasnt bought from steyr)

WTF? Why would you buy that? You can buy a steyr aug for less than half of that and buy like 6k rounds of ammo.

oh and I just looked it up and found several for a grand cheaper.

4 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

WTF? Why would you buy that? You can buy a steyr aug for less than half of that and buy like 6k rounds of ammo.

Augs are illegal in Norway and i cant legaly own a "real" gun, only air rifles in .177 or paintball and airsoft guns.

Plus, the lg110 high power is nothing to laugh at, it is one hell of a powerfull air rifle!

Oh and the reason why i bought it, i am an active member at a local range and i needed an upgrade from my feinwerkbau 602 to keep competing. 

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

21 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

Augs are illegal in Norway and i cant legaly own a "real" gun, only air rifles in .177 or paintball and airsoft guns.

Plus, the lg110 high power is nothing to laugh at, it is one hell of a powerfull air rifle!

Oh and the reason why i bought it, i am an active member at a local range and i needed an upgrade from my feinwerkbau 602 to keep competing. 

Why can't you legally own a gun?

anygun?

1 minute ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

Why can't you legally own a gun?

anygun?

Dont have a gun lisence and not old enough to get one. 

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Well, finally ordered some more parts for my first AR build. Will post pictures when I get the parts in.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

On 9/17/2016 at 11:40 PM, bcredeur97 said:

This guy doesn't need guns lol

and he's probably the only person in the world who has a proper excuse as to why.

HELL YEAH!!!!!!

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

6 minutes ago, dual290x said:

HELL YEAH!!!!!!

I posted that in September. Surprised someone found it lol

no one else replied at the time :( 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Thinking of buying my first long gun this year.

So far, I only have a Ruger GP100 6" chambered .357Mag ( can fire.38Sp). Posted in this thread a while ago.

Thoughts? I live in CA (unfortunately) so keep that in mind when giving me suggestions.

Edit: added more detail to my post.

Edited by ionbasa

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

42 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

So far, I only have a .38 special revolver, its a Ruger. (I posted in this thread a while ago).

Thoughts? I live in CA (unfortunately) so keep that in mind when giving me suggestions.

Move out.

11 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

Move out.

Verry funny. /s

But no. Plus, I love the town where I live: 

Spoiler

Yucaipa_City_Hall,_California.jpg

Logistically, it doesn't make sense.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

On 1/1/2017 at 4:04 AM, carguy86 said:

That's a damn sexy looking air rifle.  

4 hours ago, ionbasa said:

Verry funny. /s

But no. Plus, I love the town where I live: 

Reveal hidden contents

Yucaipa_City_Hall,_California.jpg

Logistically, it doesn't make sense.

You being in the PRK makes giving advice on this topic difficult.

Normally i would just suggest a CA compliant AR, but with rumblings that the CA legislature wants to implement a full ban on semi-auto long guns i don't know if that will work.

Maybe go with something a bit more historic like an m1 Garand, or a Mosin. 

8 hours ago, ionbasa said:

So far, I only have a Ruger GP100 6" chambered .357Mag ( can fire.38Sp). Posted in this thread a while ago.

Edit: added more detail to my post.

All I mostly have in my collection is rifles but most are from WWII since that is what I like to collect. Do you know what kind of rifle you are cooling at? Lots of people start out with a Remington 700 since it has lots of upgrades you can get. if you have a Bass Pro near you, you can get a Youth model 700 (comes with a scope) there for $450 and has a lot of calibers to choose from. Been thinking about buying this to use for hunting and long range shooting.

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Thunderpup said:

That's a damn sexy looking air rifle.  

You being in the PRK makes giving advice on this topic difficult.

Normally i would just suggest a CA compliant AR, but with rumblings that the CA legislature wants to implement a full ban on semi-auto long guns i don't know if that will work.

Maybe go with something a bit more historic like an m1 Garand, or a Mosin. 

I don't think that'll happen, but if it does, supposedly CA-legal ARs would be grandfathered in.

Is there anyway to get a red dot sight on a glock without the mos system?

is it possible to convert a glock to be able to have a red dot?

also what's the best handgun red dot for under a 100 dollars?

6 hours ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

1) Is there anyway to get a red dot sight on a glock without the mos system?

2) is it possible to convert a glock to be able to have a red dot?

3) also what's the best handgun red dot for under a 100 dollars?

1&2) Yes. There are many companies that can mill the slide of a glock to accept a number of micro red dots, Jagerwerks being one of the more respected companies.

http://jagerwerks.com/

3) under $100, none. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ordered an RMR today!

Spending money like it's going out of style haha.

An RM07 if anyone is interested. I'll post pics when it arrives.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Well ordered a trigger for my AR build and my pins for it, should be here some time next week. Cant wait to try out my lower to see how well it works. Been a long time coming and been saving money off to the side for this project. Hopefully I can finish the build sometime next month and post it.

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

Oh boy am i excited.

After over a year of playing hide & go seek with wait lists; i have finally gotten my hands on a drum mag for my vepr.

I can't wait to kick this cough of mine so i can take it out for a spin.

Drum mag.jpg

vepr mag 2.jpg

vepr mag 1.jpg

My RMR showed up today!

RM07, adjustable model with a 6.25 MOA dot.

2017-02-03%2014.32.53_zpsuvmfeqzo.jpg

2017-02-03%2014.54.40_zpsinpsonni.jpg

2017-02-03%2014.54.31_zps0rjfkf9e.jpg

2017-02-03%2014.55.07_zpsyqqd7fkf.jpg

I shot it this afternoon, my first time with a red dot equipped handgun; that shit is strait up cheating. haha. Even with only ~ 200 rounds with the RMR installed, I was noticeably faster and more accurate. This is absolutely the way we are going to see handguns going in the future. 

Unfortunately my new Gun Craft holster has not shown up yet so I'll have to remove the light and RMR again for carry.

6 hours ago, Poohy14 said:

Well ordered a trigger for my AR build and my pins for it, should be here some time next week. Cant wait to try out my lower to see how well it works. Been a long time coming and been saving money off to the side for this project. Hopefully I can finish the build sometime next month and post it.

What trigger did you get?

39 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

My RMR showed up today!

RM07, adjustable model with a 6.25 MOA dot.

I shot it this afternoon, my first time with a red dot equipped handgun; that shit is strait up cheating. haha. Even with only ~ 200 rounds with the RMR installed, I was noticeably faster and more accurate. This is absolutely the way we are going to see handguns going in the future. 

Unfortunately my new Gun Craft holster has not shown up yet so I'll have to remove the light and RMR again for carry.

What trigger did you get?

I have been looking at that sight for my S&W since I wanted a red dot for it but never got one yet. Also the trigger I got was that Rise Armament RA-140 to try out since a lot of people say it is good so we shall see. On another note, I color filled my AR today. Thinking I will color the "fire" with red to keep the safe and fire different colors.

B7xM0uQ.jpg
8cij9kz.jpg

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Poohy14 said:

Thinking I will color the "fire" with red to keep the safe and fire different colors.

What are you using to color fill?  If you are using nail polish then make sure to use a lighter shade of red.  I used a darker one and so it isn't as noticeable as i'd like it on my AR.