[Rumor] AMD to receive capital injection from tech investment outfit

bogus

Well the rumour started yesterday, but when I saw it I thought there was no need to makes a fuss about it, mainly because people here would not understand it fully and it would generate a mess and desinformation...

But it seems like more rabbits are comming out of the hole.

Apparently AMD is going to receive a capital injection, from who is not sure yet but the latest claims point at Silver Lake (a tech investment company with - pardon my french - fuck tons of money that already invested in Dell, Motorola, Alibaba, etc).

The funny part is that the early rumours pointed out as for INTEL to be the ones investing in AMD... the plot thickens.

There's people connecting the dots, almost pointing has Intel influenced Silver Lake decision. Who knows? Only them.

Either way, it's good news for AMD but anyone informed saw it coming a mile away - not who would do it (several companys were mentioned, like Apple and Samsung), but it was coming :)

Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/38694-private-equity-to-get-20-percent-of-amd

Make sense for Intel to do it. Why would that want AMD to go out of business? No competition is bad for a company.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

so AMD might get a big donation?

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

source: http://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/38694-private-equity-to-get-20-percent-of-amd

Our well informed industry sources have told us that AMD is about to sell 20 percent of its stake to a private equity outfit called Silver Lake.

Fudzilla got this from multiple, independent industry sources that want to remain anonymous. Silver Lake was the outfit which was behind Michael Dell's take over of his company and has piles of cash.

The company advertises itself as a global leader in technology investing and that have invested money in brands like Alibaba, Avago, GoDaddy,Motorola Solutions, Opera Solutions and many others has prepared to bite the significant part of AMD.

This could be AMD's big break as it will get the money that it desperately needs. AMD has been sinking under financial problems  as its CPU roadmap is not that great and it is hard for AMD to compete with Nvidia in the mainstream and entry level graphics market.

AMD stock has been trading at $1.88 and with company’s market cap of just 1.418 billion, this 20 percent would not have cost Silver Lake that much. AMD paid 5.4 billion to buy ATI in 2006.

Hopes are high that a super star CPU designer Jim Keller can put AMD roadmap back in order. He and his talented team have been working for a while on a brand new architecture codenamed Zen, but we don’t expect to see Zen for at least couple more quarters. On the graphics side, the company can compete in the higher end market but it doesn’t really had much new to offer in mainstream and entry level.

We also heard that AMD will do another round of restructuring that will be announced shortly. The company apparently has too many mouths to feed with too little an income.

---

in the past, there were a lot of rumors of companies looking into buying part of AMD or as a whole

for AMD's sake, I hope this comes to fruition and they get the much needed influx of cash to keep them afloat for the next generation of CPUs/APUs and GPUs

Make sense for Intel to do it. Why would that want AMD to go out of business? No competition is bad for a company.

and they would be forced to split up

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

Were a bit late. Already posted I think..

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

It's in intels best interests to keep AMD going, otherwise they'll be broken up because of having a market monopoly, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they're using a 3rd party to make investments in AMD.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Well, I wonder if they'll have a 4th generation of rebrands on their gpus?

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Well, I wonder if they'll have a 4th generation of rebrands?

no. They'll try, theynknowmthemselves there CPUs suck. Heck they used Intel CPUs for benching the new GPUs.

only if they still turn out to be competitive against the newest stuff that Nvidia can come up with.

qshlb.jpg

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

They are already coming out with a new architecture for GPUs called Artic islands. This money would go towards the Zen architecture. Also for being just a "rebrand" *cough* refresh *cough* they are doing quite well for themselves in the GPU market. Honestly they beating most,of Nvidia except for the highest end GPUs and some of the very low end ones.

Get money from invester > Buy half of Nvida > Takeover > Profit

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

no their new gpu line aka artic islands wont be rebrands the only reason they realeased rebrands is so they could keep up with nvidia until they are done developing and making the artic island gpu's

Spoiler

Both good posts though.sucks to be 8 min late heh.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

and they would be forced to split up

It's in intels best interests to keep AMD going, otherwise they'll be broken up because of having a market monopoly, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they're using a 3rd party to make investments in AMD.

No it wouldn't. Monopoly is LEGAL as long as it is gained legally (without anticompetitive behavior). Intel would be forced to sell a license to a new competitor, but it would not be forced to split up.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No it wouldn't. Monopoly is LEGAL as long as it is gained legally (without anticompetitive behavior). Intel would be forced to sell a license to a new competitor, but it would not be forced to split up.

if they get no new competitor than they will be force to split up, yes monopolies are legal as long as the monopoly has a competitor

Spoiler

if they get no new competitor than they will be force to split up, yes monopolies are legal as long as the monopoly has a competitor

No, monopolistic competition =/= monopoly. Monopoly = having no competitor. Monopolistic competition means competition in a market where products are not perfect substitutes and revenue is not perfectly derivable from price.

Monopoly is legal period. Intel would be held to being forced to give a license to a new reasonable competitor, but it could not be legally forced to split up or divest if AMD went down unless it could be proved Intel abused its market leader position in an effort to destroy them, something completely counterintuitive given Intel's much higher prices.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Silver Lake? Skylake?

Coincidence? I think Not!

Does firefox on these school computers not have autocorrect?!   I'm so sorry if I speled coincedence wrong. These keyboards ddon't help.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

If anything, Intel is looking at the fees that come with being a monopoly, not at a competition they know they've won and AMD doesn't have much chance to come back in.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.