[Rumor] AMD to receive capital injection from tech investment outfit

bogus

I was wondering how long it would take for this news to reach this forum. Quite a while actually :)

I pray for the day AMD rolls over and dies and we get back to real competition. Hand the CPU division to Nvidia and hand the GPU division to Intel and get the incompetent managerial structure of AMD out of the damn way, not to mention its lack of financial backing.

Your nonsense never fails to bring a smile to my face :lol:

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

I think it's awesome if Intel is directly/indirectly helping out AMD. This is good for everyone. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Apparently there are a few games where AMD users benefit due to WDDM 2.0

no, it's not because of WDDM2 - those same drivers were ported from W10 to W8.1 and have a similar performance gain

and since WDDM2 works exclusively on DX12 and W10, that can be counted out

the speciffic optimization in WDDM2 driver models can only be used in DX12 as per MS (example):

In WDDM v2, processes will be assigned budgets for how much memory they can keep resident. This budget can change over time, but generally will only be imposed when the system is under memory pressure. Prior to Microsoft Direct3D 12, the budget is handled by the user mode driver in the form of Trim notifications and MakeResident failures with STATUS_NO_MEMORY. TrimToBudget notification, Evict, and failed MakeResident calls all return the latest budget in the form of an integer NumBytesToTrim value that indicates how much needs to be trimmed in order to fit in the new budget.

you can read more about it here: http://anandtech.com/show/8962/the-directx-12-performance-preview-amd-nvidia-star-swarm/2

bottom line is: WDDM2 optimizations cannot be used outside DX12

Before changing to W10, I had updated the firmware on my raid ssds so had done a clean windows 7 install at that point.

I play Project Cars (this is my main game and I reckon I had at least a 10-15 fps increase but have nothing to prove it so take that as you want.

I have yet to see a true benchmark done on Windows 10, Linus's comparison was done on Nvidia hardware so it wouldn't have shown any increase.

That's it?! A single game?

That's your proof to backup your claim?

I barely noticed any difference(if at all) in the games I play...(CS:GO, Witcher III, Far Cry 3&4, Trine 1,2,3).

I tried Project Cars back on 8.1...I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it either, main reasons being graphics and controls. Graphics were meh..but FPS was really choppy. Controls were horrific with both keyboard and controller. They might be good with a wheel, but I don't have any.

I will try Project Cars, for the sake of it and report to you via PM. What you said might be true for Project Cars, but if that's the only "benchmark you performed", don't be quick to generalize.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

i pray for the day you get a job and face reality of real 9-5 work

I already worked 8-6 over the summer, and I've held a job as a research and teaching assistant for the past 2 years.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

That's it?! A single game?

That's your proof to backup your claim?

I barely noticed any difference(if at all) in the games I play...(CS:GO, Witcher III, Far Cry 3&4, Trine 1,2,3).

I tried Project Cars back on 8.1...I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it either. I will try Project Cars, for the sake of it and report to you via PM. What you said might be true for Project Cars, but if that's the only "benchmark you performed", don't be quick to generalize.

I have no specific links or anything but I have read reports of fps gains in W10 as well as my own experiences. Pcars is the main game that I play, and this is why I noticed the improvement in that game the most.  I have to be very selective in my games due to my budget. In fact I only have 4 in my library. Pcars is the most graphically intensive game that I play regularly and it is only since W10 that I have been able to get 60FPS+ across my 3 screen setup.

I was wondering how long it would take for this news to reach this forum. Quite a while actually :)

Your nonsense never fails to bring a smile to my face :lol:

Until today with the RUMOR of Silver Lake, it's been doom and gloom for AMD's finances with its debt striking a killing blow in January unless Zen and Arctic Islands are smash hits. It's only the facts.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Until today with the RUMOR of Silver Lake, it's been doom and gloom for AMD's finances with its debt striking a killing blow in January unless Zen and Arctic Islands are smash hits. It's only the facts.

Silver lake is only a guess, so far. Rumor about an incomming cash infusion have been here for a little longer..

The conclussion are based by limited facts.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Last year I said this would probably happen (AMD getting outside funding), and was ridiculed for making such a claim.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I pray for the day AMD rolls over and dies and we get back to real competition. Hand the CPU division to Nvidia and hand the GPU division to Intel and get the incompetent managerial structure of AMD out of the damn way, not to mention its lack of financial backing.

After doing what you said did I would also wish and pray for AMD death... else lol, I don't know how you are going to be able to sleep with yourself and look yourself in the mirror... selling AMD stocks @ 2$... probably losing a fuck ton of money or made so little that the just the cost of moving the money around, you didn't cut it... jesus dude.

You have such a tunnel vision and you belive so much in your non sense that you're going to have alot of problems in the future... your financial sense, it's just bad patrick. You don't have any long term vision... you can't see past Intel logo.

So yeah I can feel your pain and your hate... no wonder you want to see AMD burn to the ground, after your poor judgement of investment.

I have no specific links or anything but I have read reports of fps gains in W10 as well as my own experiences. Pcars is the main game that I play, and this is why I noticed the improvement in that game the most.  I have to be very selective in my games due to my budget. In fact I only have 4 in my library. Pcars is the most graphically intensive game that I play regularly and it is only since W10 that I have been able to get 60FPS+ across my 3 screen setup.

I understand what you mean...but you can't just say..."Games on Windows 10 work better just because I play Project Cars and I saw an improvement, so others might too".

Upon a simple search on google we find some benches(even if the sites are not the most accurate)

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-vs-windows-8-1-gaming-benchmark-comparison-which-os-grants-better-performance/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2949894/windows/windows-10-vs-windows-8-performance-benchmarks-show-a-close-battle-for-fastest.html

As you can see, the difference is marginal.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

After doing what you said did I would also wish and pray for AMD death... else lol, I don't know how you are going to be able to sleep with yourself and look in the mirror... selling AMD stocks @ 2$... probably losing a fuck ton of money or make so little that the just the cost of moving it around didn't cut it... jesus dude.

You have such a tunnel vision and you belive so much in your non sense that you're going to have alot of problems in the future... your financial sense, it's just bad patrick. You don't have any long term vision... you can't see past Intel logo.

So yeah I can feel your pain and your hate... no wonder you want to see AMD burn to the ground after your poor judgement in investment.

you may want to check your post for gramatical issues

you may want to check your post for gramatical issues

I'm tired mate, I'm sorry for it, but it was a long day. I'll review it later ;)

Thanks for the heads up :)

I understand what you mean...but you can't just say..."Games on Windows 10 work better just because I play Project Cars and I saw an improvement, so others might too".

Upon a simple search on google we find some benches(even if the sites are not the most accurate)

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-vs-windows-8-1-gaming-benchmark-comparison-which-os-grants-better-performance/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2949894/windows/windows-10-vs-windows-8-performance-benchmarks-show-a-close-battle-for-fastest.html

As you can see, the difference is marginal.

As you can also see, neither of these tests involved AMD hardware. The first one is an Nvidia gpu the second one was intel.

AMD has a lot of good things going for them right now, i really hope they dont go full retard mode and screw all of it up.

I think Valve should just buy AMD, I mean... they're the largest supporters of VR and the Vulkan API, Gabe could just come up to AMD.

"Hey, we know you're strapped for cash. We've got station wagons of cash, why don't we align our interests a little bit? You've got the architectures and the processors, we have VR, API support, and all the R&D money you'd need to kick some ass for a change, and we'll make a ton of money together!"

I think Valve should just buy AMD, I mean... they're the largest supporters of VR and the Vulkan API, Gabe could just come up to AMD.

"Hey, we know you're strapped for cash. We've got station wagons of cash, why don't we align our interests a little bit? You've got the architectures and the processors, we have VR, API support, and all the R&D money you'd need to kick some ass for a change, and we'll make a ton of money together!"

Lord GabeN + AMD..... now that is some GPU sales i want to see....

Lord GabeN + AMD..... now that is some GPU sales i want to see....

Personally I think that Lord GabeN should at the very least buy ATi, as they're the ones who landed AMD in so much debt, yet ironically the ones making AMD the most money. I mean, Valve has so much money they could easily pay all of AMD's debts tomorrow without blinking an eye, and then proceed to buy AMD. It would be glorious.

Personally I think that Lord GabeN should at the very least buy ATi, as they're the ones who landed AMD in so much debt, yet ironically the ones making AMD the most money.

AMD has split from Radeon...

while they still own it... it is its own division now....

http://anandtech.com/show/9612/amd-reorganizes-graphics-division-radeon-whole-once-more-led-by-raja-koduri

So they're getting green injected :) ?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Back to reality: What would AMD be without graphics?