[Rumor] AMD to receive capital injection from tech investment outfit

bogus

It's in intels best interests to keep AMD going, otherwise they'll be broken up because of having a market monopoly, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they're using a 3rd party to make investments in AMD.

Throwing even in excess of a billion at AMD is still better for Intel than having AMD go out of business. Antitrust laws strike again... for the better IMHO

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

No it wouldn't. Monopoly is LEGAL as long as it is gained legally (without anticompetitive behavior). Intel would be forced to sell a license to a new competitor, but it would not be forced to split up.

The problem is that Intel does have a track record of anticompetitive behavior, and was found guilty of it.

Would it matter currently in that scenario? Don't know.

If anything, Intel is looking at the fees that come with being a monopoly, not at a competition they know they've won and AMD doesn't have much chance to come back in.

If AMD goes bankrupt Intel is forced to split up. They want them alive.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Well, I wonder if they'll have a 4th generation of rebrands on their gpus?

their 3rd rebrands (270X) and 2nd rebrands (285, 290) are beating Nvidias superior new tech....

How does that feel? Years old technology, still better then the latests and greatest..

Inbefore power saving argument.

Power save doesnt give oyu more FPS.

The problem is that Intel does have a track record of anticompetitive behavior, and was found guilty of it.

Would it matter currently in that scenario? Don't know.

10 years ago under a different CEO. It wouldn't affect the current situation.

If AMD goes bankrupt Intel is forced to split up. They want them alive.

No.

No it wouldn't. Monopoly is LEGAL as long as it is gained legally (without anticompetitive behavior). Intel would be forced to sell a license to a new competitor, but it would not be forced to split up.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

their 3rd rebrands (270X) and 2nd rebrands (285, 290) are beating Nvidias superior new tech....

How does that feel? Years old technology, still better then the latests and greatest..

And neither do AMD's GPUs.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Great... Another thread turning into AMD vs Nvidia...

tumblr_nqoa0sci8x1uzcdn4o1_400.gif

Not sure what would be best for AMD, being bought or getting cash. I doubt Silver Lake just hands out cash for free so they will probably lose some control in either scenario, but if they got bought by for example Samsung they could benefit in other ways such as better access to Samsung's other technologies (fabs, memory, etc).

And neither do AMD's GPUs.

They don't give you more FPS? Depends what you're comparing.

The 380-960 yeah they do. 390-970 yeah they do. Fury- Select 980s ( higher end ones ) yeah they do.

Furyx-980Ti no.. AMD is only,loosing in two areas. Highest of the high and lowest of the low.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

The 380-960 yeah they do. 390-970 yeah they do. Fury- Select 980s ( higher end ones ) yeah they do.

Furyx-980Ti no.. AMD is only,loosing in two areas. Highest of the high and lowest of the low.

plus it would probably be a whole lots closer if the reviewers would use W10 to allow AMD to compete at its best.

I'm in the boat of who cares where the cash flow is coming from, I want AMD to make something new that'd make Sandy Bridge worth upgrading from!

plus it would probably be a whole lots closer if the reviewers would use W10 to allow AMD to compete at its best.

Windows 10 has absolutely no beneficial impact, it's even worse since drivers are not mature...nVidia is experiencing crashes and freezes...AMD seems not to, but there is no significant improvement in performance, if at all.

Since we're stuck with DX11..every performance figure is dictated by software(a.k.a. drivers).

When DX12 will be largely adopted, drivers should not matter any more in terms of performance, since the game engine will "talk" pretty much directly to the GPU. The only thing that drivers will do is maintain stability.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Unless your name starts with P... in that case, AMD loses in all areas, every time, always. Even when they win, they actually lost.

Windows 10 has absolutely no beneficial impact, it's even worse since drivers are not mature...nVidia is experiencing crashes and freezes...AMD seems not to, but there is no significant improvement in performance, if at all.

Since we're stuck with DX11..every performance figure is dictated by software(a.k.a. drivers).

When DX12 will be largely adopted, drivers should not matter any more in terms of performance, since the game engine will "talk" pretty much directly to the GPU. The only thing that drivers will do is maintain stability.

absolute tosh. I have had a noticeable increase in fps since changing from windows 7 to windows 10

Unless your name starts with P... in that case, AMD loses in all areas, every time, always. Even when they win, they actually lost.

What

absolute tosh. I have had a noticeable increase in fps since changing from windows 7 to windows 10

In what games? I have not noticed a performance increase in any of the games I play (which are for the most part old and/or not that demanding to begin with).

The benchmarks I have seen (including a video from Linus) seems to indicate the same thing. It's within margin of error.

Are you sure it's not just because you got rid of a ton of bloat when you changed? Did you measure your FPS before and after (to make sure it's not just placebo)?

In what games? I have not noticed a performance increase in any of the games I play (which are for the most part old and/or not that demanding to begin with).

The benchmarks I have seen (including a video from Linus) seems to indicate the same thing. It's within margin of error.

Are you sure it's not just because you got rid of a ton of bloat when you changed?

Before changing to W10, I had updated the firmware on my raid ssds so had done a clean windows 7 install at that point.

I play Project Cars (this is my main game and I reckon I had at least a 10-15 fps increase but have nothing to prove it so take that as you want.

I have yet to see a true benchmark done on Windows 10, Linus's comparison was done on Nvidia hardware so it wouldn't have shown any increase.

Technically, that increase in performance came from the new WDDM. Going from 7 to 8.1 would have given that same boost. However, going from 8.1 to 10 will not yield that same performance boost. 

WDDM 1.3 helped trim DXGI resource usage, making things run smoother.  Windows 10 gives us WDDM 2.0, which is the main requirement of DX12, and will allow all of its features to be used. However, until games come out to use those features, there will be no performance difference in benchmarks of DX11 games in windows 8.1, and windows 10. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Apparently there are a few games where AMD users benefit due to WDDM 2.0

Maybe somebody can explain that in more technical terms.

For example Project Cars used to be AMD's weakest game on windows 8 or older.

I pray for the day AMD rolls over and dies and we get back to real competition. Hand the CPU division to Nvidia and hand the GPU division to Intel and get the incompetent managerial structure of AMD out of the damn way, not to mention its lack of financial backing.

Technically, that increase in performance came from the new WDDM. Going from 7 to 8.1 would have given that same boost. However, going from 8.1 to 10 will not yield that same performance boost. 

WDDM 1.3 helped trim DXGI resource usage, making things run smoother.  Windows 10 gives us WDDM 2.0, which is the main requirement of DX12, and will allow all of its features to be used. However, until games come out to use those features, there will be no performance difference in benchmarks of DX11 games in windows 8.1, and windows 10. 

I have no way of testing this as I will never install 8/8.1 on my machine as I detest it. :) 

I pray for the day AMD rolls over and dies and we get back to real competition. Hand the CPU division to Nvidia and hand the GPU division to Intel and get the incompetent managerial structure of AMD out of the damn way, not to mention its lack of financial backing.

i pray for the day you get a job and face reality of real 9-5 work

Ad hominem is an argument of the weak and insecure

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

;)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case