Google Chrome bypass ad blocker extentions for YouTube. Adds a bit of revenge too.

GoodBytes

How come I was never affected by this? I use adblock pro... is that it? so adblock pro isn't affected by this?

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

well I would watch YT adds if they would be like 30sec max, also I have addblock for all those pop ups not for youtube

Fun fact: with the exception of this new thing where Google takes away the skip button if they have to avoid your ad blocker, any ad longer than 30 seconds has a skip button after the first 5 seconds! In other words, YouTube ads ARE limited to 30 seconds!

Unless you're using YouTube for audio-only like I do sometimes, it sucks to have a playlist going in a background tab and be forced to switch over to it each time it goes to the next video.

Fun fact: with the exception of this new thing where Google takes away the skip button if they have to avoid your ad blocker, any ad longer than 30 seconds has a skip button after the first 5 seconds! In other words, YouTube ads ARE limited to 30 seconds!

Try telling that to the unskippable 45-60 seconds (MINIMUM) ads Telstra, Optus & even Vodafone push here in Aus.

Oh and then there's the unskippable 60-90 second ads pushed by folks like QBE and other insurance companies here as well.

Watching videos 2-3x faster just to waste time on ads - bye Chrome .

Time is money, data is money. This move hurts consumers as long as isps continue their shady practices.

In what way does it hurt consumers lol, would you rather youtube start a premium service? Pay 5.99 for ad-free experience? I'd actually be fine with that, but then people are gonna bitch about that to. People bitch about ads and people bitch about paying for ad-free. People are just too self- entitled.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Try telling that to the unskippable 45-60 seconds (MINIMUM) ads Telstra, Optus & even Vodafone push here in Aus.

Oh and then there's the unskippable 60-90 second ads pushed by folks like QBE and other insurance companies here as well.

Which is why I instantly start downloading something-anything- if I see one of those ads start to appear, since it takes so long to load as a result the ad ends up being 'canceled' and I don't end up seeing it. Either that or I spam F5.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

In what way does it hurt consumers lol, would you rather youtube start a premium service? Pay 5.99 for ad-free experience? I'd actually be fine with that, but then people are gonna bitch about that to. People bitch about ads and people bitch about paying for ad-free. People are just too self- entitled.

However, there are times when an adblocker will genuinely save people money as the have to pay a fortune for it. For example last year it cost $200 for a 12GB pre-paid internet recharge with Telstra-who is the only option for a lot of people due to lack of internet coverage from other ISP, or $150 per month for 25GB (both options are wireless BTW as there are shitloads of ADSL blackspots). You do not want to be using your limited internet quota on inane an irrelevant ads that are about as bad as spam, if not worse.

PMSL

However, there are times when an adblocker will genuinely save people money as the have to pay a fortune for it. For example last year it cost $200 for a 12GB pre-paid internet recharge with Telstra-who is the only option for a lot of people due to lack of internet coverage from other ISP, or $150 per month for 25GB (both options are wireless BTW as there are shitloads of ADSL blackspots). You do not want to be using your limited internet quota on inane an irrelevant ads that are about as bad as spam, if not worse.

Then your option is to not consume streaming media.... and what kind of country has that shit of a coverage for DSL?

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Then your option is to not consume streaming media.... and what kind of country has that shit of a coverage for DSL?

Australia. Telstra refuses to upgrade 25 year old exchanges because they are, and I quote "too new to upgrade".

PMSL

Australia. Tlestra refuses to upgrade 25 year old exchanges because they are, and I quote "too new to upgrade".

Feels like Australia always gets the short end of the stick.

Opera still works fine!

I love Opera! Switched to it recently and have never looked back at Chrome or Firefox.

No crashes, beautiful design, a decent amount of extensions, and the same engine as Chrome, so it's also fast and RAM-hungry :D

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Feels like Australia always gets the short end of the stick.

I'll put this way, contrary to appearances, Telstra is a monopoly-mainly because the Australian government botched the deal when they sold Telstra and didn't do what they intended to do-which was prevent a monopoly (after getting more cash that could have come from their overblown paypackets).

PMSL

Well for now I'm unnafected by it, as I use neither of the two: Firefox & uBlock ftw ;)

I'm curious to see whether Google will release any PR statements concerning this, or (try) finding new ways of blocking ad blocking.

I suppose I understand why Google does it though, with YT, despite its size not making any profits. They should just add a (low) (<Netflix$) subscription fee to remove all adds, I'm sure a lot of people will join.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Easy solution : ditch Chrome.

:P

Same. I have my browsers synced, will just use opera or firefox instead.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

I know google and youtube use targeted advertising, if these ads were shorter and we saw less of the same ad every time, people won't even bother using adblock.

For example (I don't use adblock) I click to watch a 15 second video, I get a 30 second non-skippable ad that i've seen everyday! It's stuff like this which makes me really frustrated and makes people get adblock. Youtube's algorithm of displaying the ideal amount of ads to not annoy the user isn't very good.

You know what, you're completely right! I use vessel right now, and while they're a paid platform (technically, I like many others got the 1 free year), they sometimes (not every video) display short 3-5second ads. And I don't mind! If google implemented the same type of ads on YT, I'd whitelist youtube completely! I mean yes, you can skip the ad (sometimes) but it's annoying af. Just make the ad short, and more to the point.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Here's the bad part: you pay for Vessel, right?

True enough yes, and now that you mention that I remember few new Youtube "models" are coming and the paid version is gonna be ad free, but still you get my point.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I'm using uBlock and haven't seen any ads.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Firefox, old friend...

....is almost as bad as Chrome now.

PMSL

lol @ people claiming this will convert people to Firefox. If Firefox still had a soul instead of desperately trying to be more like Chrome each major update, you may have had a case. Still, Chrome has been getting more annoying overtime besides the horrific memory management. Lots of extensions broke when Google decided to change how extensions worked and that is what started turning me off. A perfect browser doesn't exist, but I've been an Opera convert for several months now.

Never noticed a difference, oh wait I don't use adblock. :) 

....is almost as bad as Chrome now.

Firefox is shit these days, utter shit. 

Firefox is shit these days, utter shit.

The 'Windows 10' edition of Firefox, is a lot better.

The 'Windows 10' edition of Firefox, is a lot better.

I find this where?