Thoughts on AMD

Dimetime35c

Okay so we all know AMD isn't what it use to be. There cpus are buried by the new Intel chips and there GPUs can at best keep up with Nvidias. With all the launch of the fury x and it running only 4gb I think AMD is in serious trouble. Yeah they are still gonna be around for at least 5 more years but I really am worried that they are dying a very slow death. At this point in time I can't see AMD living for another 10 years. It seems as if Zen is pretty much a make or break product. If it fails I think they're done. What are your thoughts? Can they survive if Zen fails to perform?

Their GPUs will not let them die.

And Zen is coming too.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

they'll be here forever, just they may slip into irrelevancy if they don't get their shit together.

Amazing

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

From my standpoint, if they are to survive, they're going to need another company to buy them out.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The GPUs will keep them alive. Depending on how Zen does/performs, we'll see.

There is a possibility that AMD might get acquired soon if they keep the sales up though.

AMD could get back to who they were, but it all depends.

I produce music!

From my standpoint, if they are to survive, they're going to need another company to buy them out.

This is what I was gonna say.

Theyre not just gonna "die out", someones gonna take them over if it gets to that point, which I dont think it will happen as soon as some people are making it out to be,

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I think AMD should go back to their roots and make ASICs again.

(GPUs, Network Controllers, and Bitcoin Miners)

That way, they could produce quality based products, and not quantity based products.

I reckon the GPU/CPU divisions are going to split, the GPU/ATI division will keep going on it's own or be adopted by another company; the CPU division will probably merge with Samsung or something. Let's face it, they're struggling to produce new CPUs to keep up with Intel, they almost don't even have enough money to fund R&D. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

If we all joined together and shared our cache, it'd be a better world. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Don't worry if zen can kick intel's ass

and the next gen of fury gets more VRAM

Then AMD will get back up keeping nVidia and intel on their toes

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

I agree with you man. I'm Pretty sure I have the only gaming laptop with an amd gpu. Everyone else uses a GTX 960, 970 or 980 nowadays 

Look at their stock prices. 5 years from now they will not be around as-is. Samsung or somebody needs to buy them if they're to survive.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

nah........

They have very little money at this point while trying to produce CPUs, APUs, and GPUs(Yes, I know they don't do the actual producing but it still costs money). If they hadn't screwed up with Bulldozer, their current situation could've been completely different. At this point, someone needs to buy them out.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

They have very little money at this point while trying to produce CPUs, APUs, and GPUs(Yes, I know they don't do the actual producing but it still costs money). If they hadn't screwed up with Bulldozer, their current situation could've been completely different. At this point, someone needs to buy them out.

but u dont know if zen is the dealbreaker or not. or the "new" greenland gpu's (maybe a refresh no one knoes :P)

if this all fails then maybe just maybe somone might buy them... other than that. I dont see them failing

but u dont know if zen is the dealbreaker or not. or the "new" greenland gpu's (maybe a refresh no one knoes :P)

if this all fails then maybe just maybe somone might buy them... other than that. I dont see them failing

Considering Bulldozer was lackluster, Vishera was lackluster, and Fury X was hyped up and didn't really deliver, I'm not convinced of Zen being anything amazing.

nah........

you're too positive about AMD's failures. They can't keep failing to progress forever (it's been too long for them to bounce back in a hurry).

But I'm glad to see you're in agreement that AMD just isn't good enough, what with your intel processor

But I do wish VALVE takes over AMD and bring its game back up!

With consoles having AMD chips they should soon have some money to do something atleast

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

you're too positive about AMD's failures. They can't keep failing to progress forever (it's been too long for them to bounce back in a hurry).

But I'm glad to see you're in agreement that AMD just isn't good enough, what with your intel processor

whats with you having biases opinions over certain brands.

is it not allowded for my to be defending AMD but to have a intel CPU? lol 

CPU= Crap

GPU= Are doing really good now, beating every Nvidia GPU atbthe same price point except Fury X vs 980Ti.

Maybe APUs? Only ever seen half a dozen people,build a PC with one,on the forums. Most are in prebuilts.

Remember AMDs Artic GPU series? :) but in all,seriousness a company needs to buy them. I'd like IBM to,buy them but that won't happen.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

But I do wish VALVE takes over AMD and bring its game back up!

With consoles having AMD chips they should soon have some money to do something atleast

I reckon Apple would be the best bet

But are they really making any money off the consoles? Its pretty well known that the console manufacturer dont make much money on them, I believe they just break even and then make the money back through the sale of games and peripherals. I built my first comp when I was 13, it rocked a AMD Athlon, and Im 25 now. Those were the good old days lol.