Thoughts on AMD

Dimetime35c

There apu's are beyond awesome. 110 bucks for apu+MB playing Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4

That means it will play ANYTHING

Scalable beyond belief.

Annandtech has a skylake review....WOW....point 1 fps improvement in some games...but R9 380 is just a refresh with 10 or more fps improvement

The annandtech review also has my 7850k in the benchmarks with the mighty skylake....not impressed with skyjunk.

AMD is for gaming

intel is for benchmarking

All you intel fanboys have fun on your synthetic benchmarks

I am having a ball on my 7850k.....actually playing games

Later.....much

snip

BRkj4jM_700wa_0.gif

No....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

BRkj4jM_700wa_0.gif

No....

Ignore Trucker2, he's a wandering troll from redit.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Lately

A-nother

M-assive

D-issapointment

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Lately

A-nother

M-assive

D-issapointment

Lol, haven't seen that in a while.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Annandtech has a skylake review....WOW....point 1 fps improvement in some games...but R9 380 is just a refresh with 10 or more fps improvement

It's able to gain huge improvements in games because of slight tweaks in the GPU and higher clock speeds.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Think of the Fury and FuryX....then think of any other new GPU in the 300 series.

Yeah, but it doesn't mean that Arctic Islands will be refreshes. Just because they've done it a time or two doesn't mean that's what they'll always do. I bet that AMD will not have a single refresh in their 400 series.

Lately

A-nother

M-assive

D-issapointment

That just applies for the Fury X, the 290X and 290 were better than what Nvidia had to offer when they launched, same with the 300 series.

That just applies for the Fury X, the 290X and 290 were better than what Nvidia had to offer when they launched, same with the 300 series.

The Fury X (and Fury) are the only products of the 300 series that weren't also part of the 200 series... well apart from the 370 which was part of the 7000 series before it. How is rehashing products from nearly 2 years ago (and in come cases nearly 4) not a disappointment?

Like... if some of the 300 series were human they'd be starting school next month.

I think AMD's revival may rely on a buyout from 3rd party company. I don't see them losing money and be able to compete with newer tech from rivals.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

The Fury X (and Fury) are the only products of the 300 series that weren't also part of the 200 series... well apart from the 370 which was part of the 7000 series before it. How is rehashing products from nearly 2 years ago (and in come cases nearly 4) not a disappointment?

Like... if some of the 300 series were human they'd be starting school next month.

I'm talking from a performance perspective, the 300 series is anything but a disappointment in terms of performance.

AMD needs to be bought out. There is no feasible way they can survive, they've blundered too much and nothing (product wise) will save them.

The x86 license with Intel means that AMD CAN NOT die or Intel will loose their license to use x86.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

AMD needs to be bought out. There is no feasible way they can survive, they've blundered too much and nothing (product wise) will save them.

They can. Need I remind you that they're a corporation? They're not allowed to fail. I do like the idea of Valve buying them out though.

They can. Need I remind you that they're a corporation? They're not allowed to fail. I do like the idea of Valve buying them out though.

First of all, corporations fail, end of story. Second of all, Valve buying AMD would be one of the worst things that could happen to AMD. Valve knows dick about running a hardware company for profit when you have physical products to sell. The only reason Valve stays afloat is wide adoption and revenue from other games sold in their market place.

I'm still advocating for Samsung to buy AMD because, 1, they have gobs of money, 2, they understand the hardware business, 3, they actually have business sense.

AMD will fail. Zen will not bring them back. Their next "generation" of GPUs will not bring the back. Being the better player in a low-end market is not what generates revenue for continued projects.

Okay so we all know AMD isn't what it use to be. There cpus are buried by the new Intel chips and there GPUs can at best keep up with Nvidias. With all the launch of the fury x and it running only 4gb I think AMD is in serious trouble. Yeah they are still gonna be around for at least 5 more years but I really am worried that they are dying a very slow death. At this point in time I can't see AMD living for another 10 years. It seems as if Zen is pretty much a make or break product. If it fails I think they're done. What are your thoughts? Can they survive if Zen fails to perform?

Well first of all they make more than just desktop CPUs, and second of all 4GB AFAIK is enough for most things at 4K even, so that's probably not a big issue at all really. People will also keep them afloat because of their licenses that allow Intel to produce x86 microprocessors. You can read more about that if you google AMD x86 license Intel or something along those lines. 

Silverstone ML08  ||  Intel i5-6600  ||  Gigabyte HD 7950 @ Stock  ||  Corsair 2x4GB DDR4 2133MHz  ||  Gigabyte H170-N WIFI  ||  Samsung 840 Pro 128GB  ||  WD Caviar Black 1TB  ||  MSX 64-bit

I'm talking from a performance perspective, the 300 series is anything but a disappointment in terms of performance.

From a performance perspective it's identical to the 200 series. They've overclocked the 390 and the 390X but that's about it.

From a performance perspective it's identical to the 200 series. They've overclocked the 390 and the 390X but that's about it.

Identical?! Yeah, right. The 290X could barely keep up with the GTX 970, the 390X goes neck-to-neck with the 980, the 290 went head-to-head with the 780 and lost in nearly every comparison against the 970, the 390 is better than the 970 in nearly every comparison. And the 300 series isn't just over locked 200 series cards, that would be a rebrand, the 300 series is a refresh as AMD modified the silicon a little.

First of all, corporations fail, end of story. Second of all, Valve buying AMD would be one of the worst things that could happen to AMD. Valve knows dick about running a hardware company for profit when you have physical products to sell. The only reason Valve stays afloat is wide adoption and revenue from other games sold in their market place.

I'm still advocating for Samsung to buy AMD because, 1, they have gobs of money, 2, they understand the hardware business, 3, they actually have business sense.

AMD will fail. Zen will not bring them back. Their next "generation" of GPUs will not bring the back. Being the better player in a low-end market is not what generates revenue for continued projects.

I really wouldn't like Samsung buying out AMD, I hate Samsung. It's also still early to talk about who's gonna buy out AMD.

Zen and Arctic Islands will bring them back, they won't simply fail, if they had a couple of flops that does not mean everything they release will be a flop.

I agree with you man. I'm Pretty sure I have the only gaming laptop with an amd gpu. Everyone else uses a GTX 970, 980 or 980TI nowadays

Considering how nvidia dominates the China market, that's to be expected...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Identical?! Yeah, right. The 290X could barely keep up with the GTX 970, the 390X goes neck-to-neck with the 980, the 290 went head-to-head with the 780 and lost in nearly every comparison against the 970, the 390 is better than the 970 in nearly every comparison. And the 300 series isn't just over locked 200 series cards, that would be a rebrand, the 300 series is a refresh as AMD modified the silicon a little.

It was a rebrand. Same exact chip. More vram (pointless), and better power delivery, a higher clockspeed et voila. You even flash a 290X with a 390X bios for a performance improvement. Nothing you couldn't have gotten on some of the better aftermarket 290Xs.

There are a lot of AMD fanboys out there trying to defend their beloved failed Fury X card every single day.

What is so hard to understand that the 980Ti is better then the Fury X, just as the R9 390 is better then the 970 and the R9 380 better then the 960?

Amd is already back. It has better cards in every single pricecategory in the budget and mainstream section.

But they completely suck at giving the enthousiast a good card and good driver features like 4K,5K and 8K DSR.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

There are a lot of AMD fanboys out there trying to defend their beloved failed Fury X card every single day.

What is so hard to understand that the 980Ti is better then the Fury X, just as the R9 390 is better then the 970 and the R9 380 better then the 960?

Amd is already back. It has better cards in every single pricecategory in the budget and mainstream section.

But they completely suck at giving the enthousiast a good card and good driver features like 4K,5K and 8K DSR.

Pretty much this.

My view:

They're clinging on to the lower and middle class market of GPUs

So if they don't do anything about the enthusiast grade hardware then I don't see them lasting for a while

That is if Arctic Islands does anything (which probably will but not enough to shake the market IMO)

Their CPU market will now entirely be under fire

Unless Zen actually does anything (again they're clinging on to this)

If they get bought out I hope it's a good company 

I'll stick to my AMD GPU's, color accuracy and compute performance over fancy tricks any day for me.

6805699b84.jpg

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14