Thoughts on AMD

Dimetime35c

Considering Bulldozer was lackluster, Vishera was lackluster, and Fury X was hyped up and didn't really deliver, I'm not convinced of Zen being anything amazing.

Agreed. Everyone HYPES all this stuff blah blah blah. Months ago people were telling people, SCREAMING at people wait for skylake, what for skylake. You know what they waited for? Spending more money on DDR4 a good mobo and getting what out of it? A few FPS?

Skylake is out and now people are saying wait for Zen wait for Zen. People seem to forgot about AMDs Artic GPUs because of nVidias pascal. Tons of people also say wait for pascal, but Nvidia usually does pretty good when they hype stuff. Most of the time....

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Agreed. Everyone HYPES all this stuff blah blah blah. Months ago people were telling people, SCREAMING at people wait for skylake, what for skylake. You know what they waited for? Spending more money on DDR4 a good mobo and getting what out of it? A few FPS?

Skylake is out and now people are saying wait for Zen wait for Zen. People seem to forgot about AMDs Artic GPUs because of nVidias pascal. Tons of people also say wait for pascal, but Nvidia usually does pretty good when they hype stuff. Most of the time....

but dat 970 dou lel tree.5

All this talk about Zen... Was the same when Bulldozer was coming up... Then the disappointement...

Honestly, even if, and that's a big if, even if Zen turned out to be a great success, finally putting AMD up there in the competition with Intel for the first time in years... Will the consumers even give a damn about AMD? I doubt they will somehow manage to bring back a huge portion of their customer base back to them with just that.

(And I wouldn't be surprised if Intel already had a much better CPU ready to roll out just in case AMD Zen turned out to be "better than anything Intel currently has".)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

whats with you having biases opinions over certain brands.

is it not allowded for my to be defending AMD but to have a intel CPU? lol 

It's important to note though that AMD turning themselves around is wishful thinking. Let's be serious, even Intel isn't doing particularly well at the moment.

We're speculating here but must think "What if" so "what if" Zen was shit? What then? You can't just turn around to me and say "but Zen is going to be good because AMD says so" I mean it's a load of horse and don't we all know it. AMD is in a bubble of self-delusion if it thinks that Zen will compete with what Intel has by the time that they release it. I remember reading an article in 2013 saying it was going to be 10-15%5 better than Ivy Bridge (according to AMD at the time) and then in 2014 saying it's going to be much better than Haswell. Now people are saying it's going to be better than Skylake? It's barely going to be APU fodder by the time they've finished it. They fucked up. They underinvested in research, they must pay the price.

In some ways, it's hard to get excited about new PC tech - graphics cards are different because we actually get gains per generation, but CPUs? Forget it. The market has pretty much remained stagnant since Sandy Bridge. That architecture is 4 years old and is still viable for today's games. Intel has been forced to only increasing performance by 5% per generation on the CPU side. On the IGP side, Intel is competing with AMD now. And I bet that's going to be a stagnant market as well because AMD won't be able to keep up with Intel. I really want AMD to survive. I do, but they're going to need someone to save them.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I reckon the GPU/CPU divisions are going to split, the GPU/ATI division will keep going on it's own or be adopted by another company; the CPU division will probably merge with Samsung or something. Let's face it, they're struggling to produce new CPUs to keep up with Intel, they almost don't even have enough money to fund R&D. 

If the CPU division is acquired by another company then AMD will lose their X86 license and their CPU devision will basically be useless.

All this talk about Zen... Was the same when Bulldozer was coming up... Then the disappointement...

Honestly, even if, and that's a big if, even if Zen turned out to be a great success, finally putting AMD up there in the competition with Intel for the first time in years... Will the consumers even give a damn about AMD? I doubt they will somehow manage to bring back a huge portion of their customer base back to them with just that.

(And I wouldn't be surprised if Intel already had a much better CPU ready to roll out just in case AMD Zen turned out to be "better than anything Intel currently has".)

Intel has millions of dollars to throw at some CPU project, AMD has a few hundred thousand dollars. Of course Intel has something ready. I bet you Intel could,roll out a CPU right now that performs 20% better then any x99 CPU.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Intel has millions of dollars to throw at some CPU project, AMD has a few hundred thousand dollars. Of course Intel has something ready. I bet you Intel could,roll out a CPU right now that performs 20% better then any x99 CPU.

If not more.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Except when Intel and Nvidia hypes the hell out of something, they don't get flak for it.

I really do hope Zen is gonna be a good competitor. If not, AMD's gonna be out for sale within the next year when it comes out.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

If the CPU division was aquired by another company then AMD will lose their X86 license and their CPU will basically be useless.

Samsung basically already helps make AMDs CPUs, they're practically  already merged.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

AMD really needs to shake the bargin tag off its CPUs also, most of the time I see people throwing in an AMD over a i5 purely for price no real reason otherwise. THough someone earlier hit the nail in saying that nothing amazing as happened since Sandy Bridge on the intel side.

I reckon Apple would be the best bet

That's true

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

AMD? Their CPU's are mediocre devices imo until they step up their game in terms of an individual core's performance.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Zen-projected to perform as well as Haswell
Next line of GPU-projected to be mostly rebadges going off previous generations.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Samsung basically already helps make AMDs CPUs, they're practically  already merged.

If anyone was to acquire AMD I would want it to be Samsung but it wouldn't work since they would loose one of the main selling point of the acquisition.

How is it people keep saying AMD wil lose the x86 license making them useless, forgetting entirely that intel will also lose their x86-64 license making them also useless...

Whatever company buys them will simply make a deal with intel for the licenses, they'll both have no choice but to do that.

I have no signature

I agree with you man. I'm Pretty sure I have the only gaming laptop with an amd gpu. Everyone else uses a GTX 970, 980 or 980TI nowadays

I agree with you man. I'm Pretty sure I have the only gaming laptop with an amd gpu. Everyone else uses a GTX 970, 980 or 980TI nowadays

I still have no idea how mobile R9 290X were even able to run safely inside a laptop considering how hot they get.

PMSL

I don't mind them, even if it's been a long time since I chose AMD over Intel/Nvidia. I think the last time I did ATi were still a thing. I also hope they don't go anywhere because Intel & Nvidia need to be reminded they aren't the only choice for people heh.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Their GPUs are competitive once again, Freesync is finally a thing, they have fancy new VRAM, and in Dx12 games it looks like they will hammer Nvida. The GPU side is looking pretty healthy.

CPUs; Zen doesn't need to be super powerful, if they can build an inexpensive low power chip it could still be incredibly successful even if it doesn't impress us gamers.

Decent.

Great GPU, but the CPU is falling behind.

But Zen is coming!
:3

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I think AMD will do great in 2017.

They have great GPUs and with DX12 I believe the power they harness will show. They are much faster at doing calculations.

CPU's, outdated and slow. Zen will be good, hopefully.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Zen-projected to perform as well as Haswell

Next line of GPU-projected to be mostly rebadges going off previous generations.

Arctic Islands is anything but a refresh, AMD will increase performance-per-watt by two times and decrease power usage compared to Fiji. I can't imagine a 290X refresh in their Arctic Islands, unless they rename it to post-global warming Arctic Islands.

Arctic Islands is anything but a refresh, AMD will increase performance-per-watt by two times and decrease power usage compared to Fiji. I can't imagine a 290X refresh in their Arctic Islands, unless they rename it to post-global warming Arctic Islands.

Think of the Fury and FuryX....then think of any other new GPU in the 300 series.

PMSL