[Rumor] Skylake can virtualise the entire CPU to act as a single thread, 'inverse Hyper Threading’!? 2.4 times faster..

TrigrH

2.4 times faster.... for a single threaded operation.

image-143869977638851-0d28163b2b35519e.j

The German website Heise reports that Skylake CPUs might have a special feature to boost single-thread performance, the site calls it reverse Hyper Threading. The feature pretty much combines several physical cores into a single ‘Super Core’. In other words, the feature combines features and performance of multiple physical cores into a single virtual core. - MyCE

Could this mean the future Skylake-E with chips with 6+ cores could have noticeable gains in all tasks, not just multi-threaded ones?

skylake_spec-e7be3ad25135c830.png

< -------------------------------------- Physical cores -------------------------------------- > < -----------------------------Logical cores ---------------------------------- >

The chart above shows a 2.4 times boost with a single thread operation, the more threads in use, the lower the performance gains.

WCCF believes:

I suspect, part of Intel’s “Global Shortage” has something to do with the fact that they have yet to reveal the biggest selling point of the Skylake processor to the consumers. Which go a long way in exponentially increasing demand.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/intel-inverse-hyper-threading-skylake/#ixzz3j31D8eCf

Think about how long since they changed the box art this much? Surely skylake has something special?

Source (german):
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Skylake-mit-inversem-Hyper-Threading-2779793.html

Google translation of source:

"Strange readings with Benchmarks SPEC CPU2006 suite of cause for speculation.

For measurements in the c't laboratory showed a particular application of the SPEC CPU2006-Suite, which comes from the field of Computational Fluid Dynamics (470.lbm) a very unusual behavior. In operation with a single thread (Single Thread, without Autoparallelisierung) she ran on the processor Core i7-6700K Skylake by factor 2.4 faster than on the predecessor Core i7-4790K Haswell. However, this projection broke with simultaneous operation of multiple cores in rapidly together, amounted to four physical cores in normal sizes of perhaps 20 percent. This could draw the conclusion that in certain cases a second core with its functional units, caches or TLBs is the first core to the side. So a technique certainly had the Startup softmachines presented at the Linley Processor Conferenz almost a year ago .

But that seems to work only with pure single-threaded operation and in certain load situations. On two (physical) cores of benchmark runs noticeably faster than on a.The normal Hyper-Threading helps in this benchmark way, not so much, resulting in both processors to slow down. Intel will introduce the Skylake architecture until Tuesday of next week at IDF in San Francisco. ( AS )"

snip

BTW see that dip at 5 logical threads. That's what I keep mentioning about hyper-threading sucking massive resources. Obviously some actually scale positive but not all do.

That is odd btw. The top graph pattern is actually what I would expect out of all cpu's.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Also if this is the case does this mean that single threaded games would see a performance boost? I am actually debating the I5 4690k vs i5 6600k right now.

Edited by colonel_mortis

Okay.. maybe I'll upgrade to Skylake mainstream until E comes out.  That.. has my attention.

Done. Also if this is the case does this mean that single threaded games would see a performance boost? I am actually debating the I5 4690k vs i5 6600k right now.

In theory, yea. I mean I don't know that it is real, but you can set custom turbo boosts for one/two/three cores. I heard from someone yesterday on the forum that said they were pulling a 1 core 5960x turbo up to 5.7 Ghz.

You could try all of these separately, but it's harder to confirm stability to be honest.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

If this is true my Case + Mobo + RAM (for current system) upgrade will have to wait cause I'll be first in line. There's an entire generation of DX9 games I like that run like shit because the devs anticipated faster single cores, but it never happened. 

All aboard hype train.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

If this is true, then it is really awesome. Not sure if it's worth upgrading from a 4790k, but it's awesome nonetheless

Heeeeeeeey, this would be perfect for FSX.

This would be the best.  Especially if the Skylake-E xx30k is an 8-core.  

This would be the best.  Especially if the Skylake-E xx30k is an 8-core.  

I'd love 16 threads of amazing power to run it. :'D

I'd love 16 threads of amazing power to run it. :'D

I don't expect sixteen threads to become a single thread, but if four threads can become one at a time--it'd be seriously amazing.  

I don't expect sixteen threads to become a single thread, but if four threads can become one at a time--it'd be seriously amazing.  

I don't see why it cant? I would expect diminishing returns the more cores you have though.

I highly doubt this because that's the opposite of what Intel seeks to do. If AMD or Qualcomm came out with this tech, then I would believe it because they both have very weak IPC. 

I don't think Intel would bother putting this in a consumer line up if this is made for xeon stuff but even in the server space this is the opposite of what they want to achieve, so much more can be done with virtual machines that make much better use of resources. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Sounds interesting.

There are programs that do much better with a single thread that multiple threads (like many games) because they need things to happen in a specific order and it can be very challenging to break the data apart that need to be calculated and then sync the finished calculations back up in the right order and send it along.

There seems to be a wall engineers are running into as far as per clock calculations are concerned and this could be a pretty neat way to help with speeding up some programs.

A 50% increase from a quadrupling of available power to a thread?

So in other words, it's some form of non-native/ emulation cajiggering.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

mmmm it seams that, though some games and software do, most games and software dont utilise multiple threads efficiently and show little signs of moving that way any time soon.  how many times have we told new builders not to bother with the i7 becasue it OP for gaming and surfing, etc. IF intel are heading this way then i see no problem with it and i can see why they would be....

Edited by colonel_mortis
Removed backseat moderating

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

this somewhat came at a bad time with directx 12 able to use more than 2 cpu threads

this somewhat came at a bad time with directx 12 able to use more than 2 cpu threads

There's an entire generation of DX9 games I like that run like shit because the devs anticipated faster single cores, but it never happened. 

CommandMan7 answers that one quite nicely :P

CommandMan7 answers that one quite nicely :P

sure this could benefit people who get low fps on games they currently own but i would guess most people check whether they can run the game properly before they buy it. so new hardware matters more for new games that will become more demanding and if those games already use most of the cpu threads this wont help especially since it doesnt seem to scale linearly 

Its useless because there is no OS or program for the desktop/workstation environment that uses 1 thread.

Any program you have needs more threads for audio/graphics etc, if you run all on a single thread it will get much slower than 2.4x the gain in skylake.

Its useless because there is no OS or program for the desktop/workstation environment that uses 1 thread.

Any program you have needs more threads for audio/graphics etc, if you run all on a single thread it will get much slower than 2.4x the gain in skylake.

Java.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean