[Rumor] Skylake can virtualise the entire CPU to act as a single thread, 'inverse Hyper Threading’!? 2.4 times faster..

TrigrH

I highly doubt this. It'd be awesome if it was true.. but as a software developer.. I can say with a fair amount of certainty(~90%) that this is likely not true.

It would effectively mean that Intel has solved the problem of runtime level parallelization, and that any program that is not multithreaded can now scale over multiple cores.

The problem with this has always been that many functions depend on the return value of other functions in order to execute. This means that literally some functions cannot run before others, thus there is a "queue" of what to do.

Multi-threading allows the programmer to create queues of his own and thus clear up any potential deadlocks that may have occured.

Perhaps they solved it with shared cache and some major runtime level analysis algorithms.. it'd be amazing if they did.

I highly doubt this. It'd be awesome if it was true.. but as a software developer.. I can say with a fair amount of certainty(~90%) that this is likely not true.

It would effectively mean that Intel has solved the problem of runtime level parallelization, and that any program that is not multithreaded can now scale over multiple cores.

The problem with this has always been that many functions depend on the return value of other functions in order to execute. This means that literally some functions cannot run before others, thus there is a "queue" of what to do.

Multi-threading allows the programmer to create queues of his own and thus clear up any potential deadlocks that may have occured.

Perhaps they solved it with shared cache and some major runtime level analysis algorithms.. it'd be amazing if they did.

It also turned out not to be true.

The concept already exist and implemented, however are on another level (keeps it within the core, which allows multiple instructions to be issued simultaneously).

A lot of research has been done on this subject, and alot of research are in the works, for potential future implementation.

The question is how well such an architecture will work with personal computers and not dedicated/specialized hardware that are tailored to the task.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Awesome news, but its not something that will make me run to the shops and buy skylake. When my current CPU (4670k) can no longer pull its weight then I will upgrade. 

Yeah same here, but 62% of people who voted are considering skylake.