NASA has discovered the most Earth-Like planet to date, named Kepler-452b, but being dubbed "Earth 2.0" by many. 

It is actually 60% larger than Earth, but is well within the habitable zone of its star, which is in the same class as the Sun, only a little larger and brighter. 

Kepler-452b, however, orbits a parent star which belongs to the same class as the Sun: it is just 4% more massive and 10% brighter. Kepler-452b takes 385 days to complete a full circuit of this star, so its orbital period is 5% longer than Earth's.

The mass of Kepler-452b cannot be measured yet, so astronomers have to rely on models to estimate a range of possible masses, with the most likely being five times that of Earth. If it is rocky, the world would likely still have active volcanism and its gravity would be roughly twice that on our own planet.

There are 500 other planets that have recently been discovered, but Kepler-452b is the most Earth like of all of them, with the highest probability of containing liquid water, and therefore (most likely, if there is water) life. 

The new world is included in a haul of 500 new possible planets sighted by the Kepler space telescope around distant stars.

Twelve of the new candidates are less than twice Earth's diameter, orbiting in the so-called habitable zone around their star.

This zone refers to a range of distances at which the energy radiated by the star would permit water to exist as a liquid on the planet's surface if certain other conditions are also met.

Of these 500 candidates, Kepler-452b is the first to be confirmed as a planet.

Dr Suzanne Aigrain, from the University of Oxford, who was not involved with the study, told BBC News: "I do believe the properties described for Kepler-452b are the most Earth-like I've come across for a confirmed planet to date.
"What seems even more significant to me is the number of planets in the habitable zone of their host stars with radii below two Earth radii; 12 is quite a few compared to the pre-existing Kepler planet catalogue.

_84449889_84449888.jpg

Source

Lets invade them, but maybe learn our lessons from the first earth and give a shit about money, what am I takling about, inb4 new residency for the rich :P

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I was just about to post about this :P You win this round.

We will need to work on some warp field/wormhole technology before we will be able to even get near this planet. 

Cool none-the-less. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Kepler-452b has OIL? Looks like it could use some democracy.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

House prices would be... Astronomical! :D

oEhVvjZ.gif

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I wonder how long until we can colonize the planet

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I wonder how long until we can colonize the planet

It's 1400 light years away; it is going to be a while. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

It's 1400 light years away; it is going to be a while. 

ok time to start the space program for linustopia

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

11750612_879269142121571_499949306883849

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

This is super cool! I would love to see it in person but I don't think that'll happen, (at least in my life time).

This is super cool! I would love to see it in person but I don't think that'll happen, (at least in my life time).

Or anybody's lifetime if its 1600 Light-years away.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Can't wait visit a shopping mall there!

i5 4690k, Z97m gaming, Kingston Savage 2x4gb 1600, Msi r9 290, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, WD Blue 1tb, CM V650, Asus VX239H, CM Quickfire Rapid-I, Logitech G502.

Kepler-452b has OIL? Looks like it could use some democracy.

Quote of the day

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

well we would never get to visit until we the figure out how to turn the mathematical model for faster then light travel in to something real.

Lets invade them, but maybe learn our lessons from the first earth and give a shit about money, what am I takling about, inb4 new residency for the rich :P

Or quite possibly get bitch-slapped back where we belong by a far more advanced species that's also roughly 1.6 times bigger and stronger than us physically...

A ONE WAY TICKET PLEASE!

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Thought this would be fitting...

"... The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known, so far, to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment, the Earth is where we make our stand. It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."

-Carl SaganPale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

We need mass relay!

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

It's actually really depressing to see a discovery like this made, and then simultaneously realize you probably won't exist when humanity does all the awesome space exploration needed to actually GET there.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

It's actually really depressing to see a discovery like this made, and then simultaneously realize you probably won't exist when humanity does all the awesome space exploration needed to actually GET there.

well lets hope we can experience some form of communication at least then 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

unless you cryogenically freeze yourself

Spoiler