NVIDIA shows off Hairworks 1.1

BiG StroOnZ

ae232c30e1432bc94caa0c39d6798548_L.jpg

Nvidia has been showing off its latest technology which enables an accurate depiction of hair.

The video is of Nvidia HairWorks 1.1 which is simulation and rendering tool for creating lifelike hair and fur in video games. Since we don't have hair or fur [speak for yourself.ed] this means nothing to us.

In the clip below there is a manikin with a footballer haircut with about 500,000 hairs that bounce and sway as the camera circles.

Normally this would be as boring as hell, much like watching any football video, but as an example of what Nvidia can do with hair physics, we have to admit it is pretty good – if you like blokes with long hair.

Previous demos of HairWorks have showed only 20,000 strands of hair, making the jump to half a million much bigger. The video was recorded with ShadowPlay on an Nvidia GeForce GTX 980.

Nvidia HairWorks was involved in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and managed to make the bears and wolves look pretty real.

Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/38202-nvidia-shows-off-hairworks-1-1

This is pretty nice looking as far as realistic hair goes. I was impressed when Stress FX came out, I was also impressed with the first iteration of Hairworks. But this is on a completely different level compared to the previous two. This actually looks realistic. It also says it was ran on a GTX 980, so it cannot be that much more intensive compared to Hairworks 1.0. Which means probably by Pascal most NVIDIA GPUs will be able to run this without too much of a performance penalty.

And this is done in real time, not prerendered :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I just want CD Projekt RED to update hairworks to 1.1 in Witcher 3. Lots of people have asked, and sadly anything related to it bar bashing it gets downvoted to hell on Reddit.

It'll look better and run better, it's win win. Even if we don't get Fabio hair, since that's silly amounts still atm in a game.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Wow that is fucking stunning

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Fabulous

giphy.gif

Nvidia Hairworks, because you are worth it. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I just want CD Projekt RED to update hairworks to 1.1 in Witcher 3. Lots of people have asked, and sadly anything related to it bar bashing it gets downvoted to hell on Reddit.

It'll look better and run better, it's win win. Even if we don't get Fabio hair, since that's silly amounts still atm in a game.

But I want my Fabio hair.  :P

Was going to ask how many Titan X's did it take to run that, but a single 980 gives hope. Although that was just Hairworks and nothing else running either!

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

Was going to ask how many Titan X's did it take to run that, but a single 980 gives hope. Although that was just Hairworks and nothing else running either!

Also 500K hairs. Compared to the mere low thousands( thick as strands as well) currently used on the likes of Geralt's head and beard in the Witcher 3.

py4Kw9g.jpg

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

More like another locked thread 1.1

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

My 760 wont run this well

my 750 TI will probably melt xD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

More like another locked thread 1.1

ohh i don't see this being a repost, aslong the comments here stay reasonable(doubtfull because of summer vacation) it should be fine.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Meh.  It still only looks like a blurry mess to me.  I won't care / buy the illusion until character model hair stops disappearing into its shoulder blades.  When developers come together and solve this issue, then I will care about how fabulous my Fabio looks.

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

ohh i don't see this being a repost, aslong the comments here stay reasonable(doubtfull because of summer vacation) it should be fine.

That was my point, everyone is going to be fighting for days

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

That is very impressive. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

nVidia Hairworks:  Bringing back the 70's rockstar hair-style, faster than you can say, "need more tessellation "   Looks really incredible, though.  Well, done.  

The real question here is why does that dude have a girl hairstyle? Bloody hell, he looks fabulous!

Because if you have longer hair, you look 84% more badass. Proof:

AstonFlowingHair-crop.jpg

Also slightly irrelevant: The Luxuriant [Flowing|Former|Facial] Hair Club for Scientists™

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

A single 980 doing nothing but rendering hair on a model.

In a actual game scenario I think we're far away from this result. I mean look at where they were in 2010:

A single 980 doing nothing but rendering hair on a model.

In a actual game scenario I think we're far away from this result. I mean look at where they were in 2010:

A single overclocked 980 Ti can already run The Witcher 3 with Hairworks on and all settings completely maxed out @ 2560x1600 with 55-58 fps

By Pascal, you will see xx70 GPU's being able to run this tech as a single card. 

Damn, and the only thing I thought about was how much do I have to spend on my next GPU to get it. :blink:

Always moving forward, awesome to see. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Can't this be done through DX 12 without Nvidia's proprietary solution?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

A single overclocked 980 Ti can already run The Witcher 3 with Hairworks on and all settings completely maxed out @ 2560x1600 with 55-58 fps

By Pascal, you will see xx70 GPU's being able to run this tech as a single card. 

But it doesn't match the tech demo does it? That's my point.

But it doesn't match the tech demo does it? That's my point.

People honestly need to stop sweeping the BS that AAA publishers and game devs pull just because they 'get tired of hearing it'. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me thrice and I'm a retard.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL