The story of getting IP banned from PCPartPicker (rant)

STRMfrmXMN

So.

As one who uses PCPartPicker.com on the regular I can say it is a great site though it does have its flaws. I do not try to cause a ruckus on here nor do I want to cause harm to anybody using the site. I lift adblock for the site and make lists as well as engage with the forum on there from time to time. What both Philip and Ryan at PCPP did was extremely rude and I'm more just here to vent.

Yesterday I was hopping on the intertubes and went on PCPP. I was immediately greeted with a message telling me that I had been logged out. Confused I tried to log back in. I could not. My account had been locked out and, after some Googling, I found that every comment I had ever made was gone. 

I emailed PCPP staff to see if there was a reason it was gone. I was told (quote) "Your account was permanently banned due to vote manipulation via a ring of accounts you controlled. This ban will not be lifted and all associated accounts were removed from our site." I was confused. I had been on there the night before with a friend of mine and we had been going through each other's topics and seeing what was going on on the forum. There probably was a lot of upvoting but nothing was from an account I had "controlled." 

Worried I contacted my friend and had found out that his account had, in fact, not been banned. So something was up. It would appear that somebody made multiple accounts pretending to be me and had abused the voting system to lower/raise (couldn't see as my account got deleted) my comment karma, a system that I think should be deleted from the site's experience entirely. I replied to Ryan, telling him I absolutely was not making accounts to affect my karma. I asked for the account names many times and was denied them, meaning that I very well could have been deleted from the site because they simply felt upset that day and I looked at them funny. I replied in a calm, collected tone, being quite appropriate. He then told me (after I had repeated several times that I did not make multiple accounts) that "further vote manipulation will be met with 'harsher consequences.'" Now maybe it's just me, but deleting my account without telling me and then accusing me of making up accounts to raise freaking comment karma is pretty much the harshest consequence a person can give to an innocent user of the site. I ended up just making another account as I needed one for business and had @ send the parts lists to me. 

Philosophy emailed them and got a response from Philip telling him the same basic thing. After telling Philip AND Ryan that they had not proven me or him that I had actually done anything, long story short, my IP was banned. I cannot get on on either my new or old account. I'm really frustrated by this. I'll be using adblock on the site and will be browsing with a VPN for the time being, but I cannot believe that this is what it came to. I wake up, ask a few questions, demand to know who it was that did this and was IP banned.

/rant

Do you have any experiences being banned from sites? Anything I should do?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Call your isp and change ip. Say you are getting ddos'ed. Easy.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Call your isp and change ip. Say you are getting ddos'ed. Easy.

I actually get more consistent download speeds with this VPN so I actually am fine with this for now. Comcast also is the worst thing ever so I would rather not call them xD Thanks for the suggestion though.

I've never been banned from a site.

Rant was 10/10 tho

du u r8 8/8 m8? thx thats gr8

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

But have you tried restarting your router for a new IP? So you can access the site again

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I've never been banned from a site.

Rant was 10/10 tho

You must be not edgy enough.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

But have you tried restarting your router for a new IP? So you can access the site again

Can the all-amazing Comcast router do that?

Can the all-amazing Comcast router do that?

When a router starts up, it contact Comasts mighty server to get an IP. So  that way you can get a new IP.

Many routers have a reset button and otherwise taking it out of the power outlet, waiting like 5 sec and putting it back in works too often

When a router starts up, it contact Comasts mighty server to get an IP. So  that way you can get a new IP.

Many routers have a reset button and otherwise taking it out of the power outlet, waiting like 5 sec and putting it back in works too often

Will try. Thanks. Although I'm pretty sure the public IP remains the same.

So you're a ring leader eh?

You got a hat? Maybe a lion or two?

I did not ringlead anything xD

I have a few pomeranians. They can count in a pinch.

I remember that I was IP banned from a site, but i forgot what site :/

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Well that did not do anything :/ 

Well that did not do anything :/ 

Well usually that changes the IP too, but you can try calling up your ISP too to change it

If I get IP banned from anywhere, I change my IP or use a VPN. Hasn't happened yet.

I'll probably change the IP. Still pissed off that I had to go to all this trouble over something I didn't do :/

Recently, i have witnessed alot Forbidden error on some websites.It might be because of my cheeky browsing.

too many pr0ns?

I've been banned from one forum (that I can remember) which no longer exists. (www.kotor.com)

I've always taken issue with PCPP mainly because EVERYTHING on their website takes an absolute ETERNITY to load for me ,and I have no idea why. Even if I close EVERYTHING else that I am doing, it still takes a good 2 to 3 minutes for a page to load.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I've been banned from one forum (that I can remember) which no longer exists. (www.kotor.com)

I've always taken issue with PCPP mainly because EVERYTHING on their website takes an absolute ETERNITY to load for me ,and I have no idea why. Even if I close EVERYTHING else that I am doing, it still takes a good 2 to 3 minutes for a page to load.

Same actually. When I wasn't banned it would take no less than 30 seconds for every page to load. Not sure why.

Also, now my default Google search is google.ae...? I reset my IP within Windows. EDIT: Fixed

-snip-

Do not forget how I went all lawyer on them. They cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt that @STRMfrmXMN did anything. 

I never got banned on any website/forum/blog or antyhing like that. Only in games .. for "hacking".

But it is silly that they are refusing to talk about the issue with you and instead IP ban you.

• Cmd.exe
  • ipconfig /release

And/or

• ipcofnig /release6

Does this work?

But also, damn, can I sue people from here to America? I'mma sue PCPP, f**** a*****.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

• Cmd.exe
  • ipconfig /release

And/or

• ipcofnig /release6

Does this work?

But also, damn, can I sue people from here to America? I'mma sue PCPP, f**** a*****.

I already tried resetting the IP and the one from Comcast is static (I believe that's the term) so that didn't work.

I already tried resetting the IP and the one from Comcast is static (I believe that's the term) so that didn't work.

Cmd.exe

Ipconfig

Find standard gateway, and poke arround in your settings, see what you can find!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Cmd.exe

Ipconfig

Find standard gateway, and poke arround in your settings, see what you can find!

Tried everything man.... screwed up Windows so that Google Chrome thought I was in Austria for some reason.. I'm good for now xD