Potential SFF Build - Worried About Overheating

Budget (including currency): N/A

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cities Skylines 2 and others

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

About to buy the following build:

CPU: i7-14700k

MOBO: ASUS STRIX B760-I

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix XT

GPU: Zotac Gaming Trinity 4070 Ti Super

RAM: G.Skill Ripgaws S5 64GB (2x32gb)

PSU: Corsair SF1000L (Yes, overkill)

Case: Dan A4-H20

Going for a small case because I travel a lot. But I'm a little worried about overheating with only a 240mm AIO and no other fans. I'd like a case as small as possible, but if I'm going to get major improvements with a little bit bigger case like a NR200P Max, then it'd be worth it for me.

Can anyone tell me if they think this build will be ok or if they'd recommend I bump to the NR200P Max for the 280mm AIO? And would that bump make the system ok?

14 minutes ago, TantalizedMoon said:

do you really need a 14700k?

if its for gaming then the 7800x3d will draw less power and output alot less heat, it may run hot itself but thats just the ihs and the cache insulating the heat within the cpu and not dumping it onto the rest of your components

if you need multicore the 7950x exists and you can tune those to sip power as their out of the box settings are just as garbage if not worse than intel out of the box (uneccesarily drawing too much power for diminishing returns on performance), once tuned properly it shouldnt even hit the 95c target temp

17 minutes ago, TantalizedMoon said:

gpu can be undervolted by quite abit while not losing much performance

49 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

do you really need a 14700k?

if its for gaming then the 7800x3d will draw less power and output alot less heat, it may run hot itself but thats just the ihs and the cache insulating the heat within the cpu and not dumping it onto the rest of your components

if you need multicore the 7950x exists and you can tune those to sip power as their out of the box settings are just as garbage if not worse than intel out of the box (uneccesarily drawing too much power for diminishing returns on performance), once tuned properly it shouldnt even hit the 95c target temp

gpu can be undervolted by quite abit while not losing much performance

Yes, the build is mainly for gaming, but I do some fairly heavy CPU stuff for work, which I'll use this for too. Software stuff for a company I own so I'd rather go ahead and shell out for the better CPU.

What's the smallest setup you think I could get away with? 280mm AIO w/o other fans like the NR200P Max?

29 minutes ago, TantalizedMoon said:

What's the smallest setup you think I could get away with? 280mm AIO w/o other fans like the NR200P Max?

Depends on the noise levels you are expecting, what temps you can consider acceptable, and the case you are using. The Dan or equivalent is going to run very hot. It's just a tiny, cramped little box. You won't have to worry about noise because you can't really add any fans lol

I am not sure your device will "overheat," but you are definitely setting yourself up for high temps under load.

2 hours ago, johnt said:

Depends on the noise levels you are expecting, what temps you can consider acceptable, and the case you are using. The Dan or equivalent is going to run very hot. It's just a tiny, cramped little box. You won't have to worry about noise because you can't really add any fans lol

I am not sure your device will "overheat," but you are definitely setting yourself up for high temps under load.

Just worried about temps reaching the point that the performance of the system is significantly altered and the durability of the components is significantly altered.
Do you think I'll be safe from both of those concerns?

4 hours ago, TantalizedMoon said:

fairly heavy CPU stuff for work

I would urge you to think how performance-focussed that work is.

The heat generation from those two CPU's is really significantly different.... way out of proportion to the performance benefit that you would likely get in one of your two use-cases and at the cost of gaming performance.

Is the work software really going to scale to more than 16 threads?

Even if it does, will it make a difference when those things take X% longer to process.

A 14700K will be a little faster for very short bursts of 16+ core multi-core processing, but it will either dramatically down-clock within 60 seconds OR it will be allowed to gradually increase the power-draw (up to around 400W) and generate sufficient heat to overwhelm even a 420mm AIO if left to run longer.

In gaming there is no contest, 7800X3D will be significantly faster even at half the power and half the heat generation.

4 hours ago, TantalizedMoon said:

shell out for the better CPU.

Please don't equate "higher price" to "better CPU"... Intel CPU's have historically been used in business pre-builts largely due to historic anti-competitive practices from Intel, but have managed to create a false illusion of being "better for business". There's a reason why almost all the self-built systems use Ryzen CPUs:
SEARCH RESULTS for Amazon's top selling CPUs.

If you really need the multi-core CPU capacity, then consider 7950X3D, but 7800X3D is usually faster sufficient for gaming and very little software will scale to more than 16 threads other than a handful of rendering use-cases.... and even if it does, the difference is normally marginal.

My workstation/gamer: Ryzen9 5900X@5Ghz, AC Freezer2 280mm AIO, ASUS TUF X570PRO, RTX3080Ti FE, 32Gb TridentZ DDR4-3600C14, M.2 1Tb WDSN850, M.2 1Tb WDSN550, 2x 8Tb WD80EFAX, Corsair HX850, LianLi O11 Air Mini + 3x NF-A14's, Gigabyte M27Q (27"/1440P/170Hz), Asus PA248 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Dell WFP2408 (24"/1200P/60Hz), G815 kbd, G502 mouse, Sony WH-H910N, ModMic Wireless.

5 hours ago, TantalizedMoon said:

You might consider an i7-14700. While it can reach i7-14700K like temps, for most loads it runs cooler.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

5 hours ago, TantalizedMoon said:

Just worried about temps reaching the point that the performance of the system is significantly altered and the durability of the components is significantly altered.
Do you think I'll be safe from both of those concerns?

I don’t think you are going to get any less life out of it, and thermal throttling with a 280 AIO is also unlikely. I just think you are going to be in the 80s and 90s degrees C on the CPU package during heavy loads because the heat output from the GPU and PSU will also be exhausted through the radiator in the Dan case. It’s just such a small case that it is thermally inefficient. It might be close depending on how much you overclock. The previous suggestion for a 14700 non-k is worth looking into.

Don’t forget to purchase a bending correction frame for that CPU. They run around $10 for a thermalright frame from Amazon. And they are totally worth it.

5 hours ago, BahnStormer said:

I would urge you to think how performance-focussed that work is.

The heat generation from those two CPU's is really significantly different.... way out of proportion to the performance benefit that you would likely get in one of your two use-cases and at the cost of gaming performance.

Is the work software really going to scale to more than 16 threads?

Even if it does, will it make a difference when those things take X% longer to process.

A 14700K will be a little faster for very short bursts of 16+ core multi-core processing, but it will either dramatically down-clock within 60 seconds OR it will be allowed to gradually increase the power-draw (up to around 400W) and generate sufficient heat to overwhelm even a 420mm AIO if left to run longer.

In gaming there is no contest, 7800X3D will be significantly faster even at half the power and half the heat generation.

Please don't equate "higher price" to "better CPU"... Intel CPU's have historically been used in business pre-builts largely due to historic anti-competitive practices from Intel, but have managed to create a false illusion of being "better for business". There's a reason why almost all the self-built systems use Ryzen CPUs:
SEARCH RESULTS for Amazon's top selling CPUs.

If you really need the multi-core CPU capacity, then consider 7950X3D, but 7800X3D is usually faster sufficient for gaming and very little software will scale to more than 16 threads other than a handful of rendering use-cases.... and even if it does, the difference is normally marginal.

Ok, getting what you're saying now.

I don't think I'll ever scale the CPU to all 16 threads. The software I use isn't that intense. I more so worry about what I may need it for in the future.

That being said, the 7950x3d is $150 more expensive than the 17400k. And I think I want the extra cores and threads in case I ever move the system to a larger case, then I can push it, which rules out the 7800X3D.

I don't think I'll ever play anything that's going to really push the 14700k, so the performance of it should be pretty on par with the others for gaming, correct?

That all being said, you think I'm ok sticking with it?

Another question for y'all.

PC part picker is saying my system will use 655W. I'd really like to use the Corsair SF750 rather than the larger SF1000L. Cooler master makes a SF1100, but looks like reviews are terrible.

Will I have enough power with the Corsair SF750?

8 minutes ago, TantalizedMoon said:

Another question for y'all.

PC part picker is saying my system will use 655W. I'd really like to use the Corsair SF750 rather than the larger SF1000L. Cooler master makes a SF1100, but looks like reviews are terrible.

Will I have enough power with the Corsair SF750?

Yes. PcPartPicker uses manufacturer power requirements to calculate the total. But I'd suggest an 850W model https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LxsV3C/corsair-sf850l-850-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-sfx-power-supply-cp-9020245-na.

14 hours ago, TantalizedMoon said:

Budget (including currency): N/A

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cities Skylines 2 and others

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Going for a small case because I travel a lot. But I'm a little worried about overheating with only a 240mm AIO and no other fans. I'd like a case as small as possible, but if I'm going to get major improvements with a little bit bigger case like a NR200P Max, then it'd be worth it for me.

Can anyone tell me if they think this build will be ok or if they'd recommend I bump to the NR200P Max for the 280mm AIO? And would that bump make the system ok?

You do not want that cpu for a SFF build. Look at the i7 13700 / 13700F.

19 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

You do not want that cpu for a SFF build. Look at the i7 13700 / 13700F.

I saw someone suggest an i9 14900 (non K). Would that be a better chip for this build than the 14700K?
The specs for the 14700 (non K) seem so much worse than the 14700K.

3 minutes ago, TantalizedMoon said:

I saw someone suggest an i9 14900 (non K). Would that be a better chip for this build than the 14700K?
The specs for the 14700 (non K) seem so much worse than the 14700K.

All of the non-K CPU have lower clocks than the K version. That is how they achieve a 65W TDP envelope. Actual performance difference will depend on the application and will be anywhere between 5% and 18%.

But consider the reality of this build. A non-K CPU is likely going to perform no worse, and likely better than a K model that is constantly throttling.

30 minutes ago, brob said:

All of the non-K CPU have lower clocks than the K version. That is how they achieve a 65W TDP envelope. Actual performance difference will depend on the application and will be anywhere between 5% and 18%.

But consider the reality of this build. A non-K CPU is likely going to perform no worse, and likely better than a K model that is constantly throttling.

Okay thanks.

Will the 14900 run cooler than the 14700K and be a better alternative than the 14700 if I'm willing to shell out the extra cash?