G-Sync Vs FreeSync Event - July 18

jos

adaptive_sync_versusxcf_0_0.png?itok=tc2

On July 18 in City of Industry in Los Angeles, California, Tom's Hardware will be hosting Battle of the Brands: G-Sync vs FreeSync. gaming systems, built courtesy of sponsor, Digital Storm, half of them running G-Sync, half running FreeSync. Your job: Play some of the games we'll have set up, and answer a series of qualitative questions about the experience. It's that simple. Play games, eat food, and know that your fun-filled Saturday afternoon and will help to determine the champion between these two technologies from Nvidia and AMD.

The event will be hosted at one of the Newegg facilities -- they are also a sponsor, and they've agreed to throw the party, so to speak. When you're not doing some of the testing for us, we'll have music and giveaways and some other stations set up for continued entertainment.

Host for the day will be Chris Angelini. MSI and Zalman will also be there showing off their wares as sponsors.

Will be a good place to spend the weekend... Whom do you think will win the ultimate battle???????

Registeration at: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2192322/FreeSync-vs-G-Sync-July-18-2015-Registration

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/g-sync-vs-freesync-event,29393.html

thats some cheap labor bro, food and few hours of gaming :D

no but seriously that's not a fair comparaison, G-syng rely on it's module, while Freesync rely on the Monitor quality and which scaler the manufacturer used, so basicaly the results depands on the guy who picks the freesync monitors :D

Battle of the fanboys, round 42^69...

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Nvidia verifies the capability of panels prior to partners fitting them with a G-Sync module.

Free-Sync is open standard and thus AMD has no control over what panels this is implemented into. This raises the potential issue of quality concern (Asus MG279Q recall, anyone?)

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Nvidia verifies the capability of panels prior to partners fitting them with a G-Sync module.

Free-Sync is open standard and thus AMD has no control over what panels this is implemented into. This raises the potential issue of quality concern (Asus MG279Q recall, anyone?)

They do however control which panel gets freesync certified.

I don't suppose they'll do blind testing?

I think it will be blind testing

If it isn't then the results are totally meaningless.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

So long as the best products for each tech is chosen, the tests are blind and the hardware revealed after to show no gimping or foul play.  Then the only hurdle that will be left to overcome will be the fanboys retort. 

EDIT: and maybe Richard Huddy blaming Nvidia for intentional sabotaging freesync if it loses. :o:ph34r::P   Joke, don't flame me.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm going to make a big bold prediction and say G-Sync's going to win this one. Simply because most of the current 4K and IPS FreeSync monitors have very narrow variable ranges. 48-75, 40-60. The only exception is Asus's MG279Q.

Yeah, that is not the fault of AMD. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

G-Sync is better because nVidia controls the way it works through their hardware modules.

Freesync is cheaper, thus more friendly to the consumer, but as someone pointed out above, quality is on the manufacturer's side, not AMD's

end of topic...

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Actually I'd say it somehow is. No one is gonna come to them and beg them to use Freesync on their monitors.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I'm going to make a big bold prediction and say G-Sync's going to win this one. Simply because most of the current 4K and IPS FreeSync monitors have very narrow variable ranges. 48-75, 40-60. The only exception is Asus's MG279Q.

It's not going to be a fair match if you don't include the BenQ XL2730Z, the 40-144Hz freesync monitor.

People are probably going to look for flaws in the blinding methodology, and differences between the screens other than G-sync / FreeSync that are out of the control of AMD and Nvidia. There's the issue of hiding the entire exterior design of both monitors. Also, if, say, the pixels are brighter, or more vibrantly coloured on one monitor, that's something for people to complain about. I kinda doubt any good is going to come out of this "vs" stunt.

That said... what's a good "opponent" to pit against the Freesync BenQ XL2730Z. We're looking for something of the same resolution, same physical size, and same pixel type (TN ?)... not sure if I've missed anything. O.o?

Also need a similar IPS display to pit against the Asus MG279Q.

Fault or not, we can only compare what we can buy. if it turns out to be that way then so be it, however it is still legit and a reflection of the technology as a whole. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Freesync currently has the two better 1440p monitors (Acer XG270HU for budget segment, BenQ XL2730Z overall best 1440p monitor, they both go down to 40hz and up to 144)

G-sync currently the better IPS and 4K monitors in general, but it might be about to change, if the Samsung U32E850R lives up to expectations.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

This will be cool place! Though more monitors are needed, specially Freesync I know only one which is 30-144 supported range.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

They do however control which panel gets freesync certified.

manufactures don't actually have to certify with AMD, they just need to support VESA's Adaptive Sync

This should be interesting. 

hbn4fSh.png

NK6LBys.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

manufactures don't actually have to certify with AMD, they just need to support VESA's Adaptive Sync

While it will work yes, they still need to be certified to get the "freesync" stamp.

G-Sync is better because nVidia controls the way it works through their hardware modules.

Freesync is cheaper, thus more friendly to the consumer, but as someone pointed out above, quality is on the manufacturer's side, not AMD's

end of topic...

Who said anything about quality? This test will be looking exclusively at user experience. The testers don't have to live with the product so evaluating quality is not feasible.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Who said anything about quality? This test will be looking exclusively at user experience. The testers don't have to live with the product so evaluating quality is not feasible.

..that's what quality is..