AMD Blocks/Disables Overclocking the Memory for the Radeon R9 Fury X

BiG StroOnZ

Intel wants the crown of the world. If you think it wouldn't step up given access to the IP it needs, you're nuts.

Consoles get in the way of good game development. Ports from consoles are 9/10 of the time terrible in terms of performance despite a desktop having ludicrously more powerful hardware.

....I have to say, I agree. Intel would have the financial strength to actually set some decent standards and requirements on the console manufacturers for including their hardware.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

AMD dying sooner rather than later is best for consumers. I've hashed that out a number of times, and most of the forum is convinced.

Custom drivers would not be an issue if done correctly. That is my point in that regard.

No, I base them off of reality as a whole and cover as many facets as I can find.

AMD has no legitimate reason. The better way to handle this is give a warning to the early reviewers and require they include it in their reviews and carefully demo the behavior of the memory upscaling. There's no reason to block it for the smart. Fried RAM also leaves very obvious signs of overvoltage. Logic chips don't due to the huge complexity compared to RAM cells. HBM would be no different in this regard. AMD wouldn't face remotely similar OEM and warranty problems by allowing HBM overclocking on a desktop enthusiast card.

Until someone asks amd engineers directly why hbm overclocing was restricted and they get answers, the rest is speculation at best, wanton shit made up on the spot at worst.  And again, we see your general attitude towards AMD is literally give up and die.  There is so much bile inside you towards that company, nearly every kernel of information seems like it is filtered through the worst possible lense.

Here is a general question I have that someone else might know the answer to.  If a game is not memory bandwidth constrained, will there be any gains by overclocking the ram on the gpu?  I know that many APUs from amd get solid performance boosts when the ram is overclocked as the gpu can be better fed.  But I thought part of the point of HBM was that it was not NEEDED to have ultra high clock speeds on the memory because the bus was so wide and there was no longer a bottleneck there.  What kind of power envelope would be needed to change by overclocking standard gddr5 vs hbm?  Does anyone know?

I certainly have zero trust in the chip presumptions from Patrick here, he hates amd too much to have any credibility on their parts.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

....I have to say, I agree. Intel would have the financial strength to actually set some decent standards and requirements on the console manufacturers for including their hardware.

No, Intel would charge them ludicrous amounts and they'd either drop out or switch ARM. As for the desktop space, only a complete moron would think that Intel has any interest in the consumer high-end discrete market at all.

No, Intel would charge them ludicrous amounts and they'd either drop out or switch ARM. As for the desktop space, only a complete moron would think that Intel has any interest in the consumer high-end discrete market at all.

I suppose you are right about the first part. The second part, I don't really have the time to research and come up with a response to (should be studying my HTML class) so...meh.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yeah... No. Even if you doubled the speed, it would not bring a noticeable performance boost. If it could, then overclocking the 980 Ti's or Titan X's GDDR5 should bring a big performance boost. It doesn't.

theoretically if you doubled the clock it will run at double the performance because it is advancing at double the speed

hang on just a moment here

HBM has a really big bandwidth (like half a TB a second or something)

this is much more than any other card out there right now (R9 290X is sat at 320GB/s the titanX is sat at 335GB/s the fury is at least 200GB/s ahead of both)

what possible performance boost would you get by making it run a bit faster?

hang on just a moment here

HBM has a really big bandwidth (like half a TB a second or something)

this is much more than any other card out there right now (R9 290X is sat at 320GB/s the titanX is sat at 335GB/s the fury is at least 200GB/s ahead of both)

what possible performance boost would you get by making it run a bit faster?

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, 512gb/s is 2 slooooooooooow.

Also we just dont like AMD here.

regardless i've already made it clear i'm not a huge fan of anyone locking anything down so i guess i'm against this in general but its basically pointless just like trying to OC your nvidia laptop but whatever. 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, 512gb/s is 2 slooooooooooow.

Also we just dont like AMD here.

regardless i've already made it clear i'm not a huge fan of anyone locking anything down so i guess i'm against this in general but its basically pointless just like trying to OC your nvidia laptop but whatever. 

wait this entire thread is a circlejerk? well screw that i'm outta here (but seriously people we have never in the history of ever had a card with half a freaking TB a second of bandwidth i'm pretty sure something else will bottleneck that before it becomes the bottleneck - ooh i get to use my favorite phase: diminishing returns probably will rear its ugly head at some point)

also there is just the possibility that you cannot overclock HBM there might be some hardware issue with overclocking it that might for example overclock everything else or it could be simply that the methods used to overclock GDDR5 do not work with HBM and some other way of doing things would have to be implemented

right now we know nothing about HBM other than it is slow and wide and that it is stacked and that it can be put right next to the GPU

we know nothing else at this point

It's not about the desktop market. It's about HPC, but, desktop serves as a wonderful proving ground for getting their process technology more finely tuned. Intel would likely release a medium-sized die for a desktop GPU lineup and get all the tweaks and stuff in while binning professional cards from the cream of the crop. Then they'd follow up with HPC GPU-based accelerators on a large die, where the less than perfect become Intel's equivalent of the Titan or Fury.

As per charging ludicrous amounts of money, no. Atom, Avoton, and Xeon D prove that well enough. Frankly I'm surprised consoles didn't move to ARM anyway. AMD could have invested some of their K12 IP into it and gotten a stronger ARM core than the Puma x86 they used in consoles.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

theoretically if you doubled the clock it will run at double the performance because it is advancing at double the speed

Only if the memory speed is a bottleneck. If I overclock the GDDR5 on my GTX 970 by 10%, I don't get 10% more performance, or even 2%. Yet, it makes my card completely unstable. Go figure.

If AMD is truly dying, Apple should swoop in and buy Intel with that cash hoard they have and land the last killing blow.  :D

Only if the memory speed is a bottleneck. If I overclock the GDDR5 on my GTX 970 by 10%, I don't get 10% more performance, or even 2%. Yet, it makes my card completely unstable. Go figure.

i meant the memory would be twice as fast not the gpu as a whole. lol should have been more clear and HBM wouldnt be the bottleneck as it is already lightning fast

If AMD is truly dying, Apple should swoop in and buy Intel with that cash hoard they have and land the last killing blow.  :D

why would they do that when a lot of their computers use amd

Intel's product margins are generally too low (how many companies can say this besides Apple and IBM?), and Apple has no interest in the consumer computing segment.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

i meant the memory would be twice as fast not the gpu as a whole. lol should have been more clear and HBM wouldnt be the bottleneck as it is already lightning fast

Then your previous post was irrelevant.

Then your previous post was irrelevant.

the fury x is liquid cooled so i would guess you can OC the crap out of the gpu core so you might run into a memory bottleneck 

the fury x is liquid cooled so i would guess you can OC the crap out of the gpu core so you might run into a memory bottleneck 

This memory is already faster than any existing GDDR5 configuration can be overclocked to. There's no way it would be a bottleneck unless it can get like a 60% overclock, and even if that were possible, the heat from the HBM would limit that.

Really though, watercooling doesn't have that big of an effect on overclocking in the first place unless a card throttles on air.

I think it's a little too early to judge this. Do any of us really have any idea how HBM memory responds to being overclocked? I sure don't. There may be a good technical reason behind this. Given that it derives most of it's memory bandwidth from it's 4096-bit bus rather than the 500 MHz frequency, it's possible our traditional method of overclocking memory may not apply.

Of course, the tech sites are going to take this apart piece by piece. If AMD is just disabling things without good cause, that is deserving of criticism.

Heyyo,

WaitWait wait wait...

You are imagining that people will come up with excuses for amd? On this forum?

Have you been living under a rock?

3,5gb fiasco was legions of people defending Nvidia, but if amd so much as farts they get Shit for it.

Either you haven't been paying attention or you live in opposite world.

Also funny how you want make it more unbalanced by promoting amd bashing even more. Pathetic attempt.

Exactly.

Tbh? If I was AMD? I'd leave it unlocked... just throw up a prompt with a timer of 15 seconds that requires you to have the window in focus that it will void your warranty and all that jazz and that HBM is currently not designed to overclock... that wouldn't make people angry at least.

Maybe even do a thing where it will upload your GPU's model and serial number to AMD servers so they can have record that you overclocked and potentially voided your warranty (unless you have a warranty GPU that supports OC like the EVGA Classified series).

Same goes for NVIDIA with Mobile GPUs. That way? worst case it would be "hey, we warned you. Your fault and we have proof." instead of blocking out customers.

Need =/= Want

And sometimes Want > Need :P

Heh exactly. That's what I say too. I hate blocking out stuff... look at Apple constantly trying to block out jailbreaks... that's lame. Let people tinker with the product they bought ffs... Just put a system in place that reports you voided your warranty instead of limiting your consumers. Just makes you want to buy a product that isn't neutered off the get-go.

I agree with AMD here 100%.

You can't have your customers overclocking something if it is unstable will most likely harm the component and then have the customer tell you the card is broken and demand a refund or exchange. Same goes for the NVIDIA laptop situation.

Why don't they just have a disclaimer that reports if you overclock it'll report your model and serial number to the manufacturer stating you voided your product's warranty? :P

Much like how devices have stickers inside them that change color when water gets in them or tamper seals? Oh you messed with your device? Warranty is void but have fun with it I guess.

Same goes for vehicles... what if I wanted to throw a supercharger or turbo on my vehicle? or chip the system? How lame would that be if they welded the parts shut?

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Heyyo,

Exactly.

Tbh? If I was AMD? I'd leave it unlocked... just throw up a prompt with a timer of 15 seconds that requires you to have the window in focus that it will void your warranty and all that jazz and that HBM is currently not designed to overclock... that wouldn't make people angry at least.

Tbh my post was sound and true, it's just that some people have this seething hatred for AMD, . I don't listen to people who are insane and unreasonable anymore.

Heyyo,

Tbh my post was sound and true, it's just that some people have this seething hatred for AMD, . I don't listen to people who are insane and unreasonable anymore.

Oh I know what you're saying that people are just gonna bash them for doing this "because fanboy"... I've seen the fanboy-isms this forum is capable of hahaha... But what I'm saying is AMD and NVIDIA should have taken the same approach of warning the user and recording their GPU model and serial number before enabling the overclock that their warranty is void instead of throwing up walls.

Much like unlocking bootloaders on Android phones like HTC where they're all "hey you shouldn't tamper with your device if you like warranty but whatever here's our bootloader unlocker tool"

Like this:

http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/

It is our responsibility to caution you that not all claims resulting or caused by or from the unlocking of the bootloader may be covered under warranty. Please note that unlocking your bootloader does not mean that you will be able to unlock the SIM lock. Unlocking your SIM lock is at the discretion of your operator/carrier and is not part of the bootloader unlocking scope.

I respect HTC for that... just wish they would have dumped the HTC One M9 and instead replaced it with the HTC One M9+ and E9+ for international markets. It's the flagship that should have been the international flagship.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

people should throw the same fit when a company tells you cannot experiment with overclocking their new memory system because it's better for you

Should we throw some fit to Western Digital and Intel for not letting us overclock SATA bus?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

This sucks. I was hoping they'd just put a few more warnings about the memory clocks and then say "We told you" if it explodes.

Are you a fan of Richard Huddy or something? No one has confirmed anything he's said.

Fanboys only see what they are looking for,  not at.  Anyone who brings up gameworks in a thread about overclocking clearly hasn't got anything to say about overclocking and just wants to shit talk or fanboy out.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Fanboys only see what they are looking for,  not at.  Anyone who brings up gameworks in a thread about overclocking clearly hasn't got anything to say about overclocking and just wants to shit talk or fanboy out.

Gameworks part was about his profile, not the thread. At least read what my post said. @Kloaked apparently is on a smear campaign on huddy, yet can't provide a single shred of evidence on any wrong doing. Why is that unacceptable to question?

Also I've contributed quite a bit to this thread too.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro