AMD Blocks/Disables Overclocking the Memory for the Radeon R9 Fury X

BiG StroOnZ

Since when did overclocking void warranties these days? Didn't realize it was 2004 anymore.

Companies literally advertise and hype up that their products are better at overclocking than other companies, and have software for overclocking their products. You can literally kill CPU's whilst extreme overclocking and still RMA them to intel, even without the tuning plan.

Companies put so many limits on their hardware now that you really can't kill it without modifying your BIOS + desoldering resistors on GPU's most of the time.

CPU's are easily kill-able, but as long as it's still in warranty, intel will still replace it. @ProKoN has killed a few 4770k/4790k's overclocking with DICE, hasn't had an RMA turned down yet I don't think.

If the company finds out that you overclocked, your warranty is void. It doesn't matter what they advertise. Read the warranty.

If the company finds out that you overclocked, your warranty is void. It doesn't matter what they advertise. Read the warranty.

http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=55

?????

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Newish technology? Name one piece of tech other than Fury, that has HBM. We have no idea of the overhead that HBM allows in speed, or if there even is any. This is not a new architecture, this is an entirely new technology that hasn't existed before. Locking it down, until full testing, production methods, etc are down, is a clever thing. Especially considering this is only a 500mhz part. Overclocking it 50 MHz is like OC'ing a 980ti 175/700 MHz on the memory. Can you imagine people starting an overclock based on their knowledge of GDDR5?

Either way, HBM is not a bottleneck, and you can OC the GPU itself. I don't see the problem in praxis, but understand that people want to try and OC just for the hell of it. But we all know what happens, if people start frying their HBM OC'ing them a tiny bit. AMD will get the standard shit fest, as we are used to. If this is the same with HBM2, Pascal should be locked down as well. I wonder what people would say to that.

Did you really get that offended when HBM was called newish technology? Looooooool

AMD keeps bragging about how the Fury X is a overclockingsdream and yet they disable it? What? Is Lisa Su on her period?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

There was defense of Nvidia because of OEM problems, and as a tech enthusiast I have to agree with that defense. Let MSI and Clevo get custom drivers for their beefy laptops. For 95% of the cases, locking overclocking is the right decision. And just because it voids your warranty doesn't mean it's easily proven that that's what you did. It's actually rather difficult to prove someone has overvolted and overclocked a CPU/GPU to death and takes a lot of time and expensive equipment to do.

You should say it means one of two things. AMD could also solely be choosing to use the high quality stacks and eating the cost of the production for the rest.

And where's your proof that those OEM problems even exist? I assume you have something. Also, custom drivers for a gaming machine? So people with $2000+ laptops deserve to get screwed over and wait days/weeks/months for driver updates due to a problem which might not even exist, all because you think that gaming should be restricted to desktops? You are so arrogant and narrow-minded...

Oh, I forgot that EVGA is the only graphics card maker. Looks like you win.

MSI is fine with it as well, Gigabyte doesn't care either.

As long as you don't PHYSICALLY damage the card, they don't care. (IE: desoldering capacitors / desoldering resistors, etc)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

It's probably really unstable or dangerous or something

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

As long as you don't PHYSICALLY damage the card, they don't care. (IE: desoldering capacitors / desoldering resistors, etc)

Off the top of my head, EVGA doesn't really care as long as it's returned in the same condition.

Who knows, maybe if you're good at soldering they won't care :P

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I really think that they just need to explain it better. We already know for a fact that yields are low, so it's possible that AMD really didn't have much a choice. Low yields means two things:

1.) They may have to settle for using lower quality stacks, and

2.) The number of stack available for them to use is limited.

Lower quality than what?

Low yields seems to come from the layering process, not the actual ram themselves. So if you sandwich 3 layers that work, and the 4th layer loses connection, then that entire stack is defective, even though all 4 ram modules themselves work. Either way, we know SK Hynix has ramped up production, so I doubt the "problem" lies there. Not everything is manufactured to have a huge overhead.

Did you really get that offended when HBM was called newish technology? Looooooool

Offended? Do you think I'm an SJW?

No, I'm just putting things into perspective. People are complaining that they cannot OC a revolutionary technology, that has just been announced for the market (not even in stores yet). And for what purpose? It already destroys all GDDR5 implementations out there. 

Like I said, if this is an OC limitation in the overhead of HBM, NVidia will have to do the exact same. Remember that they too will use HBM in Pascal.

AMD keeps bragging about how the Fury X is a overclockingsdream and yet they disable it? What? Is Lisa Su on her period?

I'm sure you can overclock the GPU quite a lot. Why would you need to OC the memory, if there is no benefit to it?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Serous question, how much of a performance gain can you can by only OCing the memory?

Not much at all. The only real benefit to overclocking memory is you can sometimes increase the stable core clock speed by increasing the memory speed. And with how fast HBM is, you might have to overclock the core by a huge amount before that becomes an issue.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Offended? Do you think I'm an SJW?

No, I'm just putting things into perspective. People are complaining that they cannot OC a revolutionary technology, that has just been announced for the market (not even in stores yet). And for what purpose? It already destroys all GDDR5 implementations out there.

Like I said, if this is an OC limitation in the overhead of HBM, NVidia will have to do the exact same. Remember that they too will use HBM in Pascal.

Yes, you look offended.

Also, you shouldn't be believing AMD's benchmarks. Watch for actual reviewer benchmarks.

You also don't know if Pascal will be doing the same thing.

Don't say stuff that you don't have confirmation on.

*cough* Reset overclock before sending it in

Yes, you look offended.

Also, you shouldn't be believing AMD's benchmarks. Watch for actual reviewer benchmarks.

You also don't know if Pascal be doing the same thing.

Don't say stuff that you don't have confirmation on.

That is your subjective opinion. I am not.

Who said anything about benchmarks? Read SK hynix' official specs on HBM: Higher bandwidth than GDDR5 in every way.

So if HBM goes up in smoke by OC'ing them, you don't think NVidia would lock OC? AMD are much more lenient when it comes to OC than NVidia has ever been.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

That is your subjective opinion. I am not.

Who said anything about benchmarks? Read SK hynix' official specs on HBM: Higher bandwidth than GDDR5 in every way.

So if HBM goes up in smoke by OC'ing them, you don't think NVidia would lock OC? AMD are much more lenient when it comes to OC than NVidia has ever been.

You're cute.

You're cute.

I know :D

Just out of curiosity, since you are so critical of Huddy. What exactly did he claim, that is not true?

Links? Because that's not really what I read. From what I've read, it voids the warranty if they know that overclocking was the cause of whatever the problem is. If they don't know, they can't find out, so your warranty isn't broken. It's easier for them to say that it doesn't void it, but damage from overclocking is not covered by the warranty other than in special cases. If you fry the GPU and tell them that you overclocked, you won't get an RMA.

I know :D

Just out of curiosity, since you are so critical of Huddy. What exactly did he claim, that is not true?

Probably everything.

Links? Because that's not really what I read. From what I've read, it voids the warranty if they know that overclocking was the cause of whatever the problem is. If they don't know, they can't find out, so your warranty isn't broken. 

I have personal experience dealing with MSI's live support on the phone in the past from some problems my 290X Lightning had, and some issues I had with my Z97 M Power motherboard. They said as long as nothing is physically damaged, overclocking is fine on their motherboards and GPU's.  (Hence why they have a dam product line DEDICATED to overclocking, with overclocking advertised all over the box.)

Gigabyte has their own software for overclocking, and they promote it on just about every GPU they sell, I'm 100% sure they wouldn't turn down an RMA as long as the card wasn't modified or damaged in any way.

You're cute.

You do realize that this is the same company with a max power limit of 106% on some of their cards, right?

You do realize that this is the same company with a max power limit of 106% on some of their cards, right?

You'll need to be more specific. Two companies were mentioned on those posts.

I have personal experience dealing with MSI's live support on the phone in the past from some problems my 290X Lightning had, and some issues I had with my Z97 M Power motherboard. They said as long as nothing is physically damaged, overclocking is fine on their motherboards and GPU's.  (Hence why they have a dam product line DEDICATED to overclocking, with overclocking advertised all over the box.)

Gigabyte has their own software for overclocking, and they promote it on just about every GPU they sell, I'm 100% sure they wouldn't turn down an RMA as long as the card wasn't modified or damaged in any way.

I worded it wrong. I clarified in an edit in my post. If your GPU fries and you say that you overclocked, you are not going to have a warranty no matter what the actual cause is. (Lightning is an exception though.)

Probably everything.

In other words nothing you have any proof of? Other companies, and even NVidia themselves, have verified his statements on GameWorks.

In other words nothing you have any proof of? Other companies, and even NVidia themselves, have verified his statements on GameWorks.

Are you a fan of Richard Huddy or something? No one has confirmed anything he's said.