AMD Blocks/Disables Overclocking the Memory for the Radeon R9 Fury X

BiG StroOnZ

Anyone who denies that this is no different than NVIDIA locking down overclocking on laptops is clearly a hypocrite, because the issues are one in the same. It's still locking down or disabling features that shouldn't be locked down.

Does the laptop have HBM?  I guess not... Although I agree that AMD shouldn't have lock that on a card they claim to be "enthusiast's dream". Neither you or me know jack shit about HBM or what can fuck up if we try to OC memory. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Sounds like you are making excuses. 

Dafuq? You have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about.

Also, what do you think about companies locking voltages? It's exactly the same thing.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Jesus backflipping christ, these past few days that list grew a tall tower

You ever think that maybe you are the problem? No couldn't be that could it...  :rolleyes:

Does the laptop have HBM?  I guess not... Although I agree that AMD shouldn't have lock that on a card they claim to be "enthusiast's dream". Neither you or me know jack shit about HBM or what can fuck up if we try to OC memory. 

No but a laptop can overheat easily and cause permanent damage to a mainboard. That didn't stop people from wanting to overclock them at all. And 60% of the people on this forum if not more all complained that they should be able to overclock it if they wanted to and NVIDIA is the devil for doing it.

Dafuq? You have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about.

Also, what do you think about companies locking voltages? It's exactly the same thing.

GDDR5 was introduced once, it was a new memory system, they didn't lock down overclocking on that. Sounds like you don't know what you are talking about.

They aren't just locking down voltages here clearly, because even with locked down voltages you can still overclock. Albeit not as much but you still can.

No but a laptop can overheat easily and cause permanent damages to a mainboard. That didn't stop people from wanting to overclock them at all. And 60% of the people on this forum if not more all complained that they should be able to overclock it if they want to and NVIDIA is the devil for doing it.

Overheating you say? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/315104-clevo-p150sm-cooling-mods-to-handle-overclocked-980m/#entry4286642

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

That's after someone modded it? 

Yeap and that was why half the people were against fully locking overclocking on laptops, because you have people like them that want to do it

Yeap and that was why half the people were against fully locking overclocking on laptops, because you have people like them that want to do it

Show me a 1,000 more people with modded laptops like that and I'll believe that...  :rolleyes:

Show me a 1,000 more people with modded laptops like that and I'll believe that...  :rolleyes:

Nah I'm too lazy  :lol:

q

More excuses. GDDR5 was new at one time too.

q

While I think we should be able to, if they are locking it down, I feel like they probably have a reason for it.

I wish they would tell us what that reason is though, or atleast give us some sort of option to OC it anyways with a warning like "this could cause x.x.x.x. problem etc"

Since it is new and on the die, is it possible it could become more unstable with OC's versus when it wasn't near the GPU?

From what I've seen from AMD cards in the past, they're usually much more unlocked voltage wise than Nvidia's cards, so I think if they aren't allowing it, it could be for a good reason.  (I can't speak from all of AMD's cards, as I've only owned the 290x reference and 290x Lightning, both of which had much more voltage allowance vs my 970 SLI / 780 SLI / Titan)

I really think we should be the ones to make the choice though.  I would totally understand if going a few mhz over stock causes massive driver problems and artifacting in games, but perhaps keeping it colder would help with those issues, say on DICE/Ln2/ custom water + chiller, etc.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

While I think we should be able to, if they are locking it down, I feel like they probably have a reason for it.

I wish they would tell us what that reason is though, or atleast give us some sort of option to OC it anyways with a warning like "this could cause x.x.x.x. problem etc"

Since it is new and on the die, is it possible it could become more unstable with OC's versus when it wasn't near the GPU?

From what I've seen from AMD cards in the past, they're usually much more unlocked voltage wise than Nvidia's cards, so I think if they aren't allowing it, it could be for a good reason.  (I can't speak from all of AMD's cards, as I've only owned the 290x reference and 290x Lightning, both of which had much more voltage allowance vs my 970 SLI / 780 SLI / Titan)

I really think we should be the ones to make the choice though.  I would totally understand if going a few mhz over stock causes massive driver problems and artifacting in games, but perhaps keeping it colder would help with those issues, say on DICE/Ln2/ custom water + chiller, etc.

Their stated reason is the memory system is "too new" and there's more than enough bandwidth so basically they are saying "it's not needed." Seems like quite a vague response altogether. What does it being too new have anything to do with it, at least specify why overclocking needs to be disabled for it. Not just, "it is too new." Also for most people stock clocks are fine, and you get more than "enough" performance but enough isn't always enough for everybody we want to push our components to the limits to squeeze every last ounce of performance out.

I would much rather them give us the option of being able to overclock, with a warning of some sort also. It's kind of always been that way really. But outright locking or or blocking it and not really giving much information as to why. Simply saying it is "too new" is not a good enough answer for someone spending upwards of $650 on an enthusiast class part.

Someone said that could be the case, at least it being on the interposer, but I'm pretty sure they would have at least stated this for the person writing the article. They would have to know that giving this piece of information was pivotal in regards to how people were going to respond to it. I'm not sure why they decided that "because it's too new" was clear enough.

That's my main issue here, is the removal of choice. And also, the curiosity of how this memory overclocks mainly. 

Their stated reason is the memory system is "too new" and there's more than enough bandwidth so basically they are saying "it's not needed." Seems like quite a vague response altogether. What does it being too new have anything to do with it, at least specify why overclocking needs to be disabled for it. Not just, "it is too new." Also for most people stock clocks are fine, and you get more than "enough" performance but enough isn't always enough for everybody we want to push our components to the limits to squeeze every last ounce of performance out.

I would much rather them give us the option of being able to overclock, with a warning of some sort also. It's kind of always been that way really. But outright locking or or blocking it and not really giving much information as to why. Simply saying it is "too new" is not a good enough answer for someone spending upwards of $650 on an enthusiast class part.

Someone said that could be the case, at least it being on the interposer, but I'm pretty sure they would have at least stated this for the person writing the article. They would have to know that giving this piece of information was pivotal in regards to how people were going to respond to it. I'm not sure why they decided that "because it's too new" was clear enough.

That's my main issue here, is the removal of choice. And also, the curiosity of how this memory overclocks mainly. 

Awww I didn't know they had already given a reason, and a reason as vague as that is quite sad :(

Yeah I agree on the removal of choice thing, I personally love pushing hardware to it's limits and competing on hwbot.org, hell I'm third place in rookie league right now :D

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

AMD is so lenient with everything else, I really don't see them locking VRAM clockspeed for no good reason. It would be a lot worse if they didn't lock it, and everyone tried to OC their fancy new $650 graphics card and instantly destroyed it. HBM is new, maybe it fries easily if you push the overclock too far.

How long until someone will flash a custom BIOS and then cry when a 50mhz clock bump on their VRAM destroys the whole card

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

HBM is a completely new, unknown entity for people, so allowing them to overclock it at this point would be foolish, AMD are doing the right thing here. People may think it'll overclock just as easily as GDDR5 and may try to knock a 100Mhz overclock on it, when really a 10Mhz overclock is all that it is capable of, due to the design of it.

Until they actually let professional overclockers loose with it to see how high they can get the HBM on different cooling solutions etc. then I do think locking the ability to OC it makes perfect sense.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

@patrickjp93

It is incredible seeing people talking about a complicated piece of electronics with a never seen before technology, like something as simple as a 1+1, without actually understanding that it *might* be different than the GDDR5 both in structure and its connections

Ill hang out in the pub while reading the thread, wanna join?

Not an illogical thing to do, considering no one has ever even used this technology before, imagine the amount of dead cards from people not understanding the limits of the memory.

If you have any shit to throw at AMD for blocking OC, than you should have done the same to Intel when they blocked OC for all i3/i5/i7 with exception of 2 chips from the series,and no one complained they pay more for nothing else than a number switched to a different value in the cpu microcode.All i3/5/7 can OC like monsters yet they are all locked.

Well I think that's one of the risks AMD took when they decided to implement HBM. First gen is not flawless, hell not even second gen, third gen etc...

I think they do this in order to prevent some ignorant pricks from OC*ing it like normal GDDR5, kill their cards and then blame AMD, therefore gaining even worse reputation.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Why do you need to overclock memory anyway. We all should know memory will not affect performance that much anyway but hey maybe because of limitations in GDDR5 it doesn't do anything to improve performance. So if they focused more on memory then hey maybe it will make a difference. 

It's first HBM so maybe in gen 2 or so you will be able to overclock memory as well. At least we can overclock the core and that's where the performance lies

Let's look at this logically. There's the obvious of it being newer tech. AMD is also a company that while isn't the leader, is still a huge company. Do you really believe AMD wants to handle a butt load of RMAs from customers breaking their shiny new toy?

giphy.gif

200_s.gif

Well maybe OC'ing kills it?

And maybe the power delivery or something isn't developed enough to survive any oc?

Electronic stuff can be very sensitive!

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

GDDR5 was introduced once, it was a new memory system, they didn't lock down overclocking on that. Sounds like you don't know what you are talking about.

They aren't just locking down voltages here clearly, because even with locked down voltages you can still overclock. Albeit not as much but you still can.

lol, you do know GDDR architecture is around since jesus christ, right?

Eh, clearly you don't.

Yeah, aka "we don't really know what the consumer will do with the card so we'll just lock down the vram so nobody fucks it up thinking it's the same as overclocking a GDDR vram and we also are pretty new to this whole HBM stuff."

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud