AMD Blocks/Disables Overclocking the Memory for the Radeon R9 Fury X

BiG StroOnZ

One interesting thing that we just learned this week is that AMD will not allow you to overclock the memory when the first Fiji cards are released. AMD feels that the memory technology is too new and there is more than enough bandwidth, so they are locking down the ability to overclock the memory in AMD Overdrive. This might change down the road, but for the time being only the core clock can be overclocked by end users.

Source: http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-fiji-arrives-radeon-r9-fury-x-details_166515#OpQZsfoAmLt9ajjt.99

Remember that amazing performance everybody said they were going to gain from even slightly overclocking the memory on HBM, well apparently you won't get any performance improvements from doing that because there will be no memory overclocking on the card at all. AMD Disabled the feature, therefore you will be limited to Core overclocking entirely. I know a lot of people are going to say, well HBM is new blah blah blah blah. Listen, if NVIDIA blocks overclocking on Laptops and people throw a fit, then people should throw the same fit when a company tells you cannot experiment with overclocking their new memory system because it's better for you. It's all about freedom of choice, that's the beauty of using PC. Here a company is saying you don't have that freedom to experiment yourself. There should be equal treatment for AMD doing this. Mind you this might change in the future, but for the time being when the cards release you won't be able to do any memory overclocking at all. Of course it's not like you are limited by bandwidth from HBM, but that's not the point, right?

Someone is probably going to find a way around and make it possible.. But still, why say its for overclockers then only allow for overclocking the core and that is it?

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Well... that memory runs at 500 MHz. They probably did that because someone could think that a (for example) 50 MHz OC is nothing... But it's quite considerable (10 % OC)

Still I'd never lock OC capability.

This is a signature.

Someone is probably going to find a way around and make it possible.. But still, why say its for overclockers then only allow for overclocking the core and that is it?

unless they hardware lock it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

WaitWait wait wait...

You are imagining that people will come up with excuses for amd? On this forum?

Have you been living under a rock?

3,5gb fiasco was legions of people defending Nvidia, but if amd so much as farts they get Shit for it.

Either you haven't been paying attention or you live in opposite world.

Also funny how you want make it more unbalanced by promoting amd bashing even more. Pathetic attempt.

So the "overclockers dream" is a big LIE! False advertisement. Shame on you AMD.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

unless they hardware lock it

Some people are really into hardmodding cards.

Do you really need to OC it though?

They're supposed to be selling it as a overclocking card. Hence the watercooling.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I think it's right. If someone ocs by 1mhz and breaks the shit out of the card, hbm will look bad.

EDIT:

Guys...

Disabling memory ocing does not mean all ocing is disables

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

This shouldn't shock anybody. With a new memory technology, this makes sense. It's not AMD being greedy or anything.

No no take the pitchforks out, it's time for an amd hunt because fuck them for trying new technology right? :P

I agree with AMD here 100%.

You can't have your customers overclocking something if it is unstable will most likely harm the component and then have the customer tell you the card is broken and demand a refund or exchange. Same goes for the NVIDIA laptop situation.

Your quote says "in AMD Overdrive". So will it be possible with other overclocking applications?

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

No no take the pitchforks out, it's time for an amd hunt because fuck them for trying new technology right? :P

No.

...We do it because it's AMD. That's why. 

No.

...We do it because it's AMD. That's why.

I don't do that.

But yeah I see what you mean.

TBH, doesn't seem like you need to OC it.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

So the "overclockers dream" is a big LIE! False advertisement. Shame on you AMD.

If they said this in advertising for this then yeah it is false advertisement.

Uhh, that was legions of people bashing Nvidia?

Well yes.

But the hordes defending them were much larger.

The 970 is still a good card, but just saying, they have their fanboys rooted Deep in this forum.

Well yes.

But the hordes defending them were much larger.

The 970 is still a good card, but just saying, they have their fanboys rooted Deep in this forum.

Well..alrighty then.

Serous question, how much of a performance gain can you can by only OCing the memory?

Really depends on the application what engine, take the unigine Valley benchmark for instance, it gains massively higher scores from overclocking memory, but games seem to benefit quite a bit less.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089