How do you keep your house cool?

MsTrMind

So with the temperatures in Belgium raising above 30°C (current temp is 34°C -> 94°F) my room and house is getting to hot :-(

currently I have a mobile aircooling device, which gets my room about 1°C cooler every 1.5 hours. But at noon the temperature raises about 3°C every hour :(

Any hints/tips to keep the house, or at least a few rooms nice and cool?

Proud to be from Belgium.

i sit in front of my fan and have the window as wide as it can go :3 also turn the heating off and when cooking open all the windows

Character artist in the Games industry.

Open a window on one side of your house then open a window on the opposite side and open all doors between them to create a makeshift wind tunnel, that keeps rooms cool in my house :)

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I live in Scandinavia.

'Nuff said.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

get 3 aerocool shark fanns and point them at your face (i warn you they will be loud) 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

My house just stays cool, I have R3 insulation in the roof, and half the walls are R7 plus the brickwork.  My house if I keep it closed will barely get over 27oc even when it hits 38-40 outside.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

My house just stays cool, I have R3 insulation in the roof, and half the walls are R7 plus the brickwork.  My house if I keep it closed will barely get over 27oc even when it hits 38-40 outside.

Well in Belgium we are not used to temperatures above 30°C. Winters are mild, summers are mild, so we don't really need the heavy grade insulation.

Also, I live in an old house (a renovated farm from the 1930's), the brickwork is VERRY thick (we call it in dialect "2 brick thick"), this means that the walls are the thickness of the length of 2 bricks. The bricks were home baked from clay in my garden, and have a length of 25cm average.

This is great when it is hot for a day or 2, but after that the walls are absorbing the heat and slowly letting it go, making it REALLY hard to cool it down inside...

Well in Belgium we are not used to temperatures above 30°C. Winters are mild, summers are mild, so we don't really need the heavy grade insulation.

Also, I live in an old house (a renovated farm from the 1930's), the brickwork is VERRY thick (we call it in dialect "2 brick thick"), this means that the walls are the thickness of the length of 2 bricks. The bricks were home baked from clay in my garden, and have a length of 25cm average.

This is great when it is hot for a day or 2, but after that the walls are absorbing the heat and slowly letting it go, making it REALLY hard to cool it down inside...

I see, as Australia's annual  temp can fluctuate on average 40oc we have learnt the value of insulation and the draw backs of solid walled houses.  Portable compressor style air conditioners are good. And in a pinch the evaporative coolers are o.k but you need air flow for them to work the best,

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I see, as Australia's annual  temp can fluctuate on average 40oc we have learnt the value of insulation and the draw backs of solid walled houses.  Portable compressor style air conditioners are good. And in a pinch the evaporative coolers are o.k but you need air flow for them to work the best,

I have an evaporative cooler, I just poor in some icy water (8 liter) and turn the thing on :-)

a fan, and i have it hot, it was hot on my work, it was hot outside, its hot in my room, so fuck it, im sweating alot, need to get a 120mm fan and 3x 9v batteries

I have central air as well. It's been a lifesaver this summer since the temperature is normally around 30 C...

CPU: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr 3 @ 1150 MHz core/6300 MHz memory | Motherboard: Some crap OEM H67 mATX board | RAM: 16GB Patriot G2 Series Division 4 @ 1333 MHz | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i | Mouse: CM Storm Inferno | Keyboard: crap OEM keyboard (Soon to be replaced with a CM Storm Quickfire TK) | Headphones: Audiotechnica ATH-M50's | Speakers: Corsair SP2500's

its 30.c every summer here at least ..... you know what i do, goto the beach :D

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Any hints/tips to keep the house, or at least a few rooms nice and cool?

this is more of a long term thing but growing deciduous vines on the sides of your house that the sun hits helps.

that way it keeps its cooler in summers but your still get the sun in winter.

Its all about those volumetric clouds

windows open at night till morning and closed during the day. 

also fans blowing into the attic to pump out the hot air during the day. and at night and morning use it to pull in the cold air in from outside

Noctua fans...

Interested in Business and Technology

I live in Scandinavia.

'Nuff said.

Not really, currently it's hot as all hell here as well. :) I open all windows and sit very very still to not release unnecessary energy. :D

I have these things called windows. I usually use these fabric thingies called curtains. They prevent sun from getting in. When sun is down I can open them. Then I have fan circulating air. It doesn't really do much, but feels better. Of course, if it's too hot for sleeping, I keep windows open during night also.

(Sorry, I'm on sarcastic mood today)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Wet towels on skin + fan = keepin' cool

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I have these things called windows. I usually use these fabric thingies called curtains. They prevent sun from getting in. When sun is down I can open them. Then I have fan circulating air. It doesn't really do much, but feels better. Of course, if it's too hot for sleeping, I keep windows open during night also.

(Sorry, I'm on sarcastic mood today)

Yeah lol, 15°C is soooo hot!

What is the max temperature you ever got? 21°C?

I kick the air on in my room and hope that the old electrical wiring can handle my computer and air conditioner. So far so good, haven't burned down the house yet :blush:.    

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Central AC...I love America... :D

My parents don't want to get one :( 

With the size of my house I would need a 5000watt one :( 

The volume of my house is 45 000m³, or about 1589000 cubic feet :-/

Great in the winter, lots of space inside, but damn it sure is a bitch to cool down :-p