980 Price to drop to $499, EU Excluded

Brainless906

So looks like the price of the 980 will going down by about $50.00 USD in pretty much every area that isnt Europe.

"In an unexpected move, Nvidia Corp. reconsidered recommended pricing of its graphics cards following the introduction of its GeForce GTX 980 Ti early on Monday. Unfortunately, the GeForce GTX 980 Ti will be considerably more expensive in Europe than in the U.S.

Nvidia will sell GeForce GTX 980 Ti for $649 in the U.S., not $799 as reported last week citing an online store. In addition, the company will lower the price of the GeForce GTX 980 to $499 from $549. The cost of the GeForce GTX 970 will remain at $329, whereas the GeForce GTX 960 will retain its recommended retail price at $199.

While the MSRP of both GeForce GTX 980 Ti and GeForce GTX 980 seems to be very competitive in the U.S., the same cannot be said about the prices in Europe. The official manufacturer’s suggested retail price of Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 980 Ti for the U.K. is £549 including value added tax (VAT), which is $752. The MSRP of the GeForce GTX 980 Ti for Eurozone is €739 – €749 ($824 – $835), depending on the country, which is considerably higher compared to the price in the U.S."

nvidia_geforce_gtx_980_ti_emea.png

KitGuru Says: "Nvidia’s prices for Europe continue to disappoint. First, Nvidia made its GeForce GTX Titan X considerably more expensive in the European Union compared to the U.S. This time the price of the GeForce GTX 980 Ti in some European countries is nearly $200 higher compared to the MSRP of the product in the United States"

I didnt expect the price drop to be this drastic or this quick. They afraid of something AMD has to offer? The optimist in me says yes pls. They could have also just noticed the 980 no longer stood anywhere relevant when it came to Price to performance with the 980 TI being surprisingly cheap. 

EDIT: Math is hard...nobody saw that. 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

So looks like the price of the 980 will going down by a pretty massive $150.00 in pretty much every area that isnt Europe.

hDK5xBD.gif

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

They afraid of something AMD has to offer? The optimist in me says yes pls.

The realist in me says they're following market trends and norms. They drop the price of the card to give more of a distance between it and the GTX 980 TI, and yes, because AMD also has new stuff coming.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Nvidia? Afraid? 

Nvidia knows AMD has pitiful margins and are forcing their hand. It is cutthroat business as far as business goes. AMD HAS to be cheaper to get the sales they want, cause no one is going to fork over a premium when a 500 dollar 980 and 650 dollar 980 Ti exist. 

Nvidia doesn't care that their margins go down, they know AMDs will have to drop even more to stay competitive. 

749? Nvidia, y u do this :(

But that's only recommended pricing, it will probably be 800+  :angry:

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Woo!

Maybe I should sell my 970 off and get a 980 some time down the road :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

LOL when people are suprised. cards always drop in price shortly after they come out. you pay more to be the very first one to have it

EU is bailing out too many countries, should just kick 'em out tbh. euro falls, prices of outsourced items increases. Pretty obvious.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

LOL when people are suprised. cards always drop in price shortly after they come out. you pay more to be the very first one to have it

I'm more surprised about the speed and the size of the drop. I was expecting maybe a ~50 dollar drop in the first month and maybe another 50 after the offerings from AMD came out (assuming they were competitive) A straight $150 off the suggested retail right off the bat is pretty steep. 

EDIT: I'm an idiot and simple math is apparently pretty hard. Nobody saw this. It never happened. 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Well fuck you nvidia, just when I was considering buying one. Be fair and get even prices everywhere. If OnePlus could do it with their phones so can you.

Going to go with AMD just cuz of that.

749? Nvidia, y u do this :(

But that's only recommended pricing, it will probably be 800+  :angry:

The 980Ti?

EVGA EU is selling the stock reference one at 739, with Superclocked ACX2.0 at 759

http://eu.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?family=All%20Graphics

In the UK though prices are higher to the point of nearly being €800 for the same cards EVGA offer.

Funny enough the EVGA 980 Superclocked costs €10 more than the normal 980Ti :P

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

F*** Nvidia F*** Nvidia F*** Nvidia, $565 for my GTX 970 G1 Gaming and this happens.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

EU EXCLUDED???? SWITCHING TO AMD RIGHT FUCKING NOW!!! /s Seriously though why is the eu excluded? :P

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Nvidia? Afraid? 

Nvidia knows AMD has pitiful margins and are forcing their hand. It is cutthroat business as far as business goes. AMD HAS to be cheaper to get the sales they want, cause no one is going to fork over a premium when a 500 dollar 980 and 650 dollar 980 Ti exist. 

Nvidia doesn't care that their margins go down, they know AMDs will have to drop even more to stay competitive. 

I doubt it this time around as AMD has already 2.5 Dram and Nvidia isn't getting 3D dram until next year.

The new AMD GPU will have almost 2x the memory bandwidth of Maxwell.

Even under the same compute perforomance the bandwidth alone will give the card easy an extra 10-20fps over Maxwell.

I got a 3fps increase on my GPU just by overclocking memory with an increase of only 34GB/s.

The new card is getting 200-300GB/s more do the math and you know why Nvidia priced the 980TI so low.

It's very situation dependent.

The 970 as an example was almost $100 cheaper on release as the high demand increased the price just weeks later.

If the GPU is aggressively priced from the start it's often times cheaper to get it right on release instead of waiting.

And depending on how things go the price can even go up over time like with DRR3 that doubled in price last year.

Or Intel CPUs that are stagnant in price for years.

RTX2070OC 

Ahh you dirty chaps, no love for the people of the UK

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

EU EXCLUDED???? SWITCHING TO AMD RIGHT FUCKING NOW!!! /s Seriously though why is the eu excluded? :P

Per the article  "The reason why Nvidia decided to set the price of its new GeForce GTX 980 Ti so high in Europe is completely unclear"

Per the article  "The reason why Nvidia decided to set the price of its new GeForce GTX 980 Ti so high in Europe is completely unclear"

The question was kinda rhetorical, but thanks anyway ^^

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

So looks like the price of the 980 will going down by a pretty massive $150.00 USD in pretty much every area that isnt Europe.

The 980 cored $549 and is now $499. That isn't a $150 price drop.

*hops on the next flight to US of A* im gonna go buy a bunch and bring it over here $_$

I doubt it this time around as AMD has already 2.5 Dram and Nvidia isn't getting 3D dram until next year.

The new AMD GPU will have almost 2x the memory bandwidth of Maxwell.

It's very situation dependent.

The 970 as an example was almost $100 cheaper on release as the high demand increased the price just weeks later.

If the GPU is aggressively priced from the start it's often times cheaper to get it right on release instead of waiting.

And depending on how things go the price can even go up over time like with DRR3 that doubled in price last year.

Or Intel CPUs that are stagnant in price for years.

Though i'm cautiously optimistic pure memory bandwidth can only do so much as we've seen in the past. Fingers crossed and all that but AMD cards have generally always had higher bandwidth, which has allowed the 290x to stay relatively competitive for its age but not so much as to smash the competition in any ways other than price to performance. 

I'm kind of relieved. The news about AMD Fury not coming until August almost pushed me over to Nvidia. Now there's not a blue fuck's chance of that happening.

AND IF YOU'RE GOING TO INCLUDE NORWAY THEN SAY "EUROPE" NOT "EU" YOU PRICKS, NVIDIA.

(Norway is NOT a member of EU and never will be)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

The 980 cored $549 and is now $499. That isn't a $150 price drop.

EDIT: Math is hard...nobody saw that...never happened...

$499 for a GTX 980 still feels like highway robbery. 52% more expensive than a GTX 970 that is 13% less powerful on average at stock clocks at 1440p while the 980 Ti is 25% more powerful than the GTX 980 at 1440p at a 30% higher price. I'm with Linus that the only enthusiast Nvidia GPUs that make much sense for most gamers are the 970 and 980 Ti.

Source is the Techpowerup review for the 980 Ti.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti/31.html