Intel to use the USB-C connector for Thunderbolt 3

Source : https://www.theverge.com/2015/6/2/8704067/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-computex-2015

With Apple and Google both warmly embracing the new USB-C connector in  this year in their new computer, the fate of the fast, but rarely used, Thunderbolt standard was coming to question. [...] Intel's solution has been to pursue the old maxim of joining the adversaries you can't defeat: the next version of Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt 3, will come with a USB Type-C connector.

A Thunderbolt 3 cable will look like the current USB-C cables and will support the same power and data transfers, but it will also be capable of much higher throughput (40Gbps) in Thunderbolt mode

Current Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 peripherals and cables will be made compatible with Thunderbolt 3 through the use of an adapter.  

This is an awesome news, as more standard for ports means better compatibility between device, better looking IO and less stuff to carry around. I would imagine Apple having an influence on that decision, as they went full Thunderbolt on their computer before making a USB C only MacBook. The next generation will probably feature a Thunderbolt 3 only.

Beside if it can help Thunderbolt to be more use.

Was to be expected. its a much better connector, and its already driving DP through it, so adapting thunderbolt for it was trivial

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Was to be expected. its a much better connector, and its already driving DP through it, so adapting thunderbolt for it was trivial

trivial? having a port that can switch between 3 modes?

there is a reason why thunderbolt cables are expensive ... nothing about them is trivial, nor is anything thunderbolt related trivial.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Awesome, Type C really will be the one cable to rule them all!

trivial? having a port that can switch between 3 modes?

there is a reason why thunderbolt cables are expensive ... nothing about them is trivial, nor is anything thunderbolt related trivial.

Im saying because Type C already supports DisplayPort signaling mode, adapting that mode to Thunderbolt was trivial, since thats what versions 1/2 had to do on a DP connector, so most of the logic can be ported.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Only possible issue with the Type C is that the connector seems more fragile than the DP/Tunderbolt one

Only possible issue with the Type C is that the connector seems more fragile than the DP/Tunderbolt one

we will really only know how durable it is in about 6 months as the devices with type c have aged enough to be used. In house tests can only tell you so much.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Now we need everybody who makes data drives/peripherals/displays to actually start using it and we might have a winner.

Ye ole' train

Thunderbolt is best. More companies need to get with the program and include it.

So I wonder what will drive 4K @144Hz maybe new DP?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

obviously this mean usb devices can use thunderbolt ports

it would be awesome if thunderbolt devices had a usb mode so that they could use usb ports. would be nice to have cross-compatibility both ways

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

am i the only one that does not really like the design of type c? i like what it can do but the connector is meh. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

So I'm pretty sure Apple's gonna ship all thunderbolt 3 equipped Mac lineup for next year, Excited

That is some good news, sure Apple is happy (or was for the matter. I guess they knew about before, judging by the lack of thunderbolt in their macbook).

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Thunderbolt is best. More companies need to get with the program and include it.

Agreed, but still more expensive to implement (iirc) than USB3 or other stuff, which is why we haven't seen it widely implemented yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

yay all my computers dont have type-C and the world is about to take off with it

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Can the thunderbolt type c port output USB 3/3.1 signal? if so this is awesome, if not then this is really bad for normal consumers. people will buy items think they can work because they physically connect. most people don't need USB 3 speed let alone 3.1, or any thunderbolt revision.

it says this can do 2 4k screens at 60hz, so it has displayport 1.3 right?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

May sound odd but USB-C is quite beautiful. Living with Lightning cables has been a godsend and I'm glad the rest of the industry is moving to something similar.

That is some good news, sure Apple is happy (or was for the matter. I guess they knew about before, judging by the lack of thunderbolt in their macbook).

most likely Apple had its hands in this ... just look at the Intel picture ;)intel-c.0.0.png

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log