The Witcher 3 was downgraded from what was shown in 2013 - Now with PS4 Comparison video

There have been streams of the PC version at Ultra, there are now uncompressed images of the game at max settings (http://www.gamersyde.com/pop_images_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-28293-1.html). It's not what they initially showed. How the hell is asking for a straight forward honest answer being entitled?

why do the plants range from shit to ok in all of them? was the vegetation detail at minimum?

There have been streams of the PC version at Ultra, there are now uncompressed images of the game at max settings (http://www.gamersyde.com/pop_images_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-28293-1.html). It's not what they initially showed. How the hell is asking for a straight forward honest answer being entitled?

Streams? Well then I have no comeback to that, we all know the quality of a stream clearly reflects the quality of whats being shown -_-

What is them telling you going to achieve? Are you going to buy the game if they say a PC couldn't handle it but not if it was downgraded for another reason? Probably not, you and half the others on here have already condemned the game so I doubt you would actually listen to anything they say anyway. 

why do the plants range from shit to ok in all of them? was the vegetation detail at minimum?

Most likely compression from the stream...

Lol that's not how the world works  :lol:

What do you mean? 10 years ago a game would be announced and then released a year or so later and people would either buy it or pass it by, nobody would pick the game apart for any discrepancies between the announcement and the launch. 

What do you mean? 10 years ago a game would be announced and then released a year or so later and people would either buy it or pass it by, nobody would pick the game apart for any discrepancies between the announcement and the launch. 

There you have it  ;)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Am I the only one to find this thread hilarious?

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to believe that Peter Molyeneux starts these controversies out of spite for the hate he has endured from the industry.

Most likely compression from the stream...

Not the textures. the model itself looks poor.

The screenshots are supposedly at max settings so who knows. Could just be the lack of shadows on some things causing the plants to look not quite right.

Streams? Well then I have no comeback to that, we all know the quality of a stream clearly reflects the quality of whats being shown -_-

What is them telling you going to achieve? Are you going to buy the game if they say a PC couldn't handle it but not if it was downgraded for another reason? Probably not, you and half the others on here have already condemned the game so I doubt you would actually listen to anything they say anyway. 

When you wish to stop being an ass and accusing people of things with no proof let me know. Until then piss off.

There you have it  ;)

I just don't get why people want to condemn the game before it's actually been released  :unsure:

The screenshots are supposedly at max settings so who knows. Could just be the lack of shadows on some things causing the plants to look not quite right.

When you wish to stop being an ass and accusing people of things with no proof let me know. Until then piss off.

What did I accuse you of? All I was saying is that even if you get an answer from them you have already decided that they are the bad guy. 

I'm sorry if I touched a nerve.

I just don't get why people want to condemn the game before it's actually been released  :unsure:

That's the way humans work  ;)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

What did I accuse you of? All I was saying is that even if you get an answer from them you have already decided that they are the bad guy. 

I'm sorry if I touched a nerve.

You are accusing me of being unfair and closed minded. If you had actually taken the time to ask my thoughts on the actual game and what I'd think if they had been upfront instead of jumping to conclusions I would have told you that I already bought it and am being harsh because I despise the current trend of PR bullshit, non-answers, and all that stuff. I don't believe in being loyal to any for profit company or the people that work for them. Over-all I like CDPR as a developer but that's not going to prevent me from being harsh when I feel they're not treating their customers right and PR is a big part of that. If they break the trust they've built up over the years it puts everything they say in the future to question and makes it hard for me to fully believe them again. Bad PR is not good for a company and hurts the image of a good developer. Heck there are still people mad at CDP for the stunt they pulled with GOG a few years ago.

That's the way humans work  ;)

Apparently so!  :lol:

What burden of trust? They don't owe you anything and you aren't being forced to buy it.

They kind of do owe us something. They owe us to tell the truth and maintain quality promised. When you publicly show a game and say that this is in game footage and it differs from what the retail version is with next to no mention (and denying even doing it) about the difference thats a problem. 

GG triple A games

Its all about those volumetric clouds

As shitty as this may seem, the game still looks gorgeous in my opinion. Still nothing compared to what bs Ubi pulled with Watch Dogs, also I highly doubt it'll be a buggy stuttery mess either.

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

They kind of do owe us something. They owe us to tell the truth and maintain quality promised. When you publicly show a game and say that this is in game footage and it differs from what the retail version is with next to no mention (and denying even doing it) about the difference thats a problem. 

The 2013 version looked like it had an atmosphere befitting a story like Witcher. It felt...right. You know? With all those effects and the mood that the art direction had set and having a closer camera to be more immersive - that was a game I would've liked to play. 

You know what 2013 Witcher reminded me of? Ryse, Son of Rome. A technically gorgeous game with brilliant art direction, engaging storyline and a incredible atmosphere, hampered by a ho-hum combat system that was nothing more than press the coloured buttons for quick time goodness. 

So Witcher seemed like properly made Ryse, with proper combat and a more enjoyable, engaging story. 

What I'm seeing now? Visually? Looks devoid of emotion, looks cleansed, doesn't look outstanding. At least Ryse had the overly dramatic visuals to keep things interesting. This? Meh. Meh meh meh. Gameplay is important, sure, but don't show consumers one version that looks great and then start trotting out footage that shows a decidedly neutered version. 

OK so in this video at GDC right from begining they are commenting on the graphics and they say that they NEVER showed game at max settings because they want us to to see it for our selves at launch.

Right from begining of the video

I hope thats true.

Anyway, even so in my opinion game looks great. More importantly, I hope the story will be good and gameplay too. Graphics later. If I wont let at least 100h of gameplay in this game then the 44€ will be not justified.

I payed 5€ for both Witcher 1 and 2 and that was a steal price. I left over 50h in each game easily.

The 2013 version looked like it had an atmosphere befitting a story like Witcher. It felt...right. You know? With all those effects and the mood that the art direction had set and having a closer camera to be more immersive - that was a game I would've liked to play. 

You know what 2013 Witcher reminded me of? Ryse, Son of Rome. A technically gorgeous game with brilliant art direction, engaging storyline and a incredible atmosphere, hampered by a ho-hum combat system that was nothing more than press the coloured buttons for quick time goodness. 

So Witcher seemed like properly made Ryse, with proper combat and a more enjoyable, engaging story. 

What I'm seeing now? Visually? Looks devoid of emotion, looks cleansed, doesn't look outstanding. At least Ryse had the overly dramatic visuals to keep things interesting. This? Meh. Meh meh meh. Gameplay is important, sure, but don't show consumers one version that looks great and then start trotting out footage that shows a decidedly neutered version. 

Please just wait until Tuesday when we all have access to the game, we will see truly how downgraded it is.  I'm not expecting marketing material, that would be silly, but I don't know how bad or how good it will look because all we've seen are screenshots and blurry videos.

As shitty as this may seem, the game still looks gorgeous in my opinion. Still nothing compared to what bs Ubi pulled with Watch Dogs, also I highly doubt it'll be a buggy stuttery mess either.

There's already at least one day one patch so who honestly knows. It's hard to take any triple A developer seriously anymore, we are being subject to the ritualistic pushing of season passes before games even launch, overhyped announcements with quiet "yea we couldn't actually do that" admissions later on; nothing in the industry is really on the "up and up" anymore.

But gamers don't care. People already threw down a million preorders for this game; people don't care and developers and publishers know that so why would they ever change their practices?

If a few apparent "downgrades" to the graphics magically make the gameplay and story go to absolute shit, then I'll be worried.

Git Gud.

Did we see the same game?

It was overly desaturated and sharpened.  It reminded me of terrible skyrim mods that sharpen the textures too much and then an ENB slapped on it to desaturate it all.  It wasn't reminiscent of the past games at all.  Geralt in particular was incredibly grey looking.

2013 W3:

1371178370-leshen-is-a-very-powerful-mon

W2:

TheWitcher2AssassinsOfKings-05042011-05.

W1

371-2-1368278543.jpg

W3 2015:

The-Witcher-3-screens-06.jpg

I think it's more faithful to the older games visually with the more saturated, softer textures than it is with the overly sharpened and desaturated look.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/witcher_3_dev_says_nvidia_hairworks_unoptimizable_for_amd_gpus/1

Witcher 3 Dev says Nvidia HairWorks unoptimizable for AMD GPUs

Nvidia's GameWorks Library has always been controversial, being called a "Black Box" by both devs and hardware vendors in the past and being seen by many of us on the PC hardware scene as a way for Nvidia to work in an anti-competitive manner if they wish.

While the GameWorks library does place into the hands of developers a great collection of graphical tools and can greatly simplify game development, however the fact that these libraries are closed to most of it's users makes it a difficult thing to optumise for if you are not using an Nvidia GPU. 

Here is a statement made by  CD Project's Marcin Momot, claiming that Nvidia's HairWorks code cannot be optimized to perform well on AMD GPUs;

Ahh, this should go over well with this forums more...vocal members. 

Coming off the backs of programmers from Intel/Nvidia saying they basically have to design drivers around the dodgy coding of developers, who knows who you can trust anymore. Can't optimize for it? Or don't have the time to optimize? 

Lest we forget, TressFX ran like garbage on Nvidia cards too for similar "can't optimize" reasons, so its hard to really take anyone seriously on who is to blame for poor performance. Maybe one, maybe all. 

<snip>

Not unexpected really. When have Nvidia features ever worked on AMD?

Not unexpected really. When have Nvidia features ever worked on AMD?

When have AMD features worked on Nvidia? 

TressFX was complete shit on Nvidia cards too, lets not act like AMD is some innocent little entity.