How to overcome "Must have the best" mentality?

Mnemosyune

So I've got some spare money now for basically any consumer grade parts including X99 stuff and TitanX kind stuff.

Personally I don't game that much, most of the time I'm just watching some videos browsing some internet or even stare at the monitor. 

However, I enjoy buying new parts and the process of upgrading and overclocking. 

I've just came back from looking at parts and I filled my shopping cart with more than $4k of stuff.

This is just crazy!

I know some people have crazier setups that are like 8k or even 10k+ but I'm not that of an enthusiast.

It feels like sh@t when I spend money on stuff I barely need but the same feeling goes toward not having the best parts.

I really want to know how you deal with this.

Please convince me! 

Instead of buying the best parts, get some mid tier parts and make a cool project with them. :) 

Having the best parts is nice for a while, but personal Id prefer pushing my system, more then i like having the best. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Get the best price/performance parts and then you do have components that maximize performance and consumer surplus. Macro economic says this is what will make you happy.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

It's hard to avoid. I am urged to go out and buy two titans because my single 970 can't run a solid 60fps on ultra with triple monitor surround. Even if it runs at 57fps, that still annoys me to a small extent lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You can't "overcome" it , but you CAN satisfy it ;

you can buy and sell pieces , eg buy 3 R9 290's , play with them for a while , then resell them at a small loss or even a benefit .

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

You can't "overcome" it , but you CAN satisfy it ;

you can buy and sell pieces , eg buy 3 R9 290's , play with them for a while , then resell them at a small loss or even a benefit .

WHy have 290s when you can have 290x?

Send me some of the stuff and realize you really don't get anything more or less out of what you buy?

Seems like a cool psychological experiment to me :D 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Think about the useful stuff you can spend the money on... Like booze women and drugs... Save that cash, Get what you need, not what you want. Spend money where it's important.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Instead of buying the best parts, get some mid tier parts and make a cool project with them. :)

Having the best parts is nice for a while, but personal Id prefer pushing my system, more then i like having the best. 

oh god.... it's a cool idea but I'm afraid I will start water cooling my system........

Think about the useful stuff you can spend the money on... Like booze women and drugs... Save that cash, Get what you need, not what you want. Spend money where it's important.

My only other hobby is ricing my car.......... 

So I've got some spare money now for basically any consumer grade parts including X99 stuff and TitanX kind stuff.

Personally I don't game that much, most of the time I'm just watching some videos browsing some internet or even stare at the monitor. 

However, I enjoy buying new parts and the process of upgrading and overclocking. 

I've just came back from looking at parts and I filled my shopping cart with more than $4k of stuff.

This is just crazy!

I know some people have crazier setups that are like 8k or even 10k+ but I'm not that of an enthusiast.

It feels like sh@t when I spend money on stuff I barely need but the same feeling goes toward not having the best parts.

I really want to know how you deal with this.

Please convince me! 

Being a uni student, I haven't really found myself in the position where I have enough to money that I'm worried that I might be spending it unnecessarily.

However, I was very much raised in a way that I see the value in getting better (more expensive) parts that will last longer instead of getting a bunch of cheaper parts that I'll have to replace later. For example, paying a bit more for an Asus motherboard. So I know this dilemma too (in a way).

Sometimes my budget and time schedule don't allow me to get all the things that I want. My method for dealing with this is benchmarks, benchmarks and more benchmarks.

When you know a i5-4660 + 290X gives you roughly if not the same fps as a 5820K + 290X, you should by all means save the money and go cheaper. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

don't stop

it's the only thing makes you special...

if you stop doing it, then you are just another common people.

Just walk away.

I wish online shopping or credit card didn't exist. 

oh god.... it's a cool idea but I'm afraid I will start water cooling my system........

Do it! :D And give us a build log! ;) 

@jojoharalds did something somewhat similar, a super cool custom loop for his daughter with some older parts. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Holly molly, this is good one.
We can't magically convince you, you have to try it to overcome your problems yourself. :) . Maybe you could limit tech news you receive? Or maybe spend money elsewhere, not just tech(new furniture, household stuff, hell, save for a GT-R). Set limit on bank account, you can take only X dollars/month.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Being a uni student, I haven't really found myself in the position where I have enough to money that I'm worried that I might be spending it unnecessarily.

However, I was very much raised in a way that I see the value in getting better (more expensive) parts that will last longer instead of getting a bunch of cheaper parts that I'll have to replace later. For example, paying a bit more for an Asus motherboard. So I know this dilemma too (in a way).

Sometimes my budget and time schedule don't allow me to get all the things that I want. My method for dealing with this is benchmarks, benchmarks and more benchmarks.

When you know a i5-4660 + 290X give you roughly if not the same fps as a 5820K + 290X, you should by all means save the money and go cheaper. 

What if I really just need a 970 now but I'm eager to get a 980. The 970 MIGHT just not be enough later on? 

My only other hobby is ricing my car.......... 

Do you own a house?

Start saving man.. Think about it, if you can afford to blow 4k on a PC you'll barely use, then you can afford to save a decent ammount of cash... Save your ass off for all those things you will want in life..

Hell use it as a fall-back.. So many people got put out of their homes cos they didn't put anything away for a rainy day, forget instant gratification of BUY BUY BUY, save your money and feel safe in the knowledge that if something happens you have funds there to deal with it / tide you over for a while.

What if I really just need a 970 now but I'm eager to get a 980. The 970 MIGHT just not be enough later on? 

If that's the case, then the 980 won't be enough either. There's not much difference between them. You're better off with another 970 or jumping straight to Titan X.

You might want to re-evaluate your hobbies though. If you don't game that much and don't seem to do anything particularly intensive, why are you interested in PC hardware? Not that the two have to be related, particularly, but it's worth thinking about what you are actually interested in and spending money on that.

Buy what you need for now, you'll always newed something better later. But later, when you need that performance it will cost less and you can satisfy that itch again at a lower cost.

eg, I bought an i7 950 a few years back, I wish I hadn't as the need for it disappeared before I built the rig but had bought the bits.. If I'd held off for 3 more months I could have had a 2500k / 2600k for less money.

Buy a 970 now, when you need more performance, put the budget you saved by not getting a 980 along with selling the 970 and get something probably better than a TitanX next year or better, the year after..