Experiences with non-techies

didnt know where to put this, thought it was brilluiant.

Fej9M5P.png

Like a landline phone. Because it plugs into the wall like a landline phone.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

I had a customer one day return her computer system that she called about saying it wasn't working.

She said "I plugged the speakers in and the monitor went black." I said. "Did you plug the speakers into the back of the computer?"

She said "No. I plugged it into the wall." I said "Ma'am it has power built in from the monitor and that the green cable is what goes into the green spot on the back of the PC." "Where did you plug it in at."

She pointed to the GROUND OUTLET on the wall power outlet.

Lets just say I politely pointed and showed her where to plug it in at. Gave her a replacement monitor at no cost since it was cooked. Thank god it wasn't her that was cooked.

Hyperthreading won't make up for dual core when rendering.

OSX looking better than Windows is subjective. Windows is (especially 10) starting to look more modern.

personally i think the best looking operating system would have to be linux.

you want it to look like windows xp at desktop but windows 9000OSXturbo?

you can.

custom shiiieeeettt *waves hands*

xD

You can see into the future i.e your politics your religion etc wont change. As you (TIY)know at 16 how you will feel at (say)60.

Note this is nothing to do with knowledge levels ,or age or...

well, im looking at it from a very specific angle, and im a very strange young woman. x'D something like music? my interests evolves alot but stays in the same general area.

my stances on <inset important shit here>.... thats stuff i think about long and hard. hasent changed in years. 99% sure it wont ever again.

not really non techies related but my brother jeremy wrore a three backwards and argued to the point of chasing me around the block that he was right. xD

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Since I moved to the house I live at present, I've been complaining about the slow internet connection. The other day, with the help of my tech genius cousin, we checked my home network infrastructure, and discovered that all of my four WiFi access points (because the new house is big and made of concrete) were hard set with the same IP. On top of that, they set up the ISP provided modem as the only DHCP and NAT server over the work it has to do to act as a Modem and wireless access point. Taking into account that there are normally more than 50 devices connected to the network at any point in time (sound systems, TVs, BluRay players, phones, PCs, CCTV, set top boxes, a femtocell, etc.) it kept overheating and crashing every 10 seconds. We paid a pretty penny for a "professional" team to install our network, and I had to right all their wrongs after I learned a bit of network architecture. Long story short, it took me three days to set the network up correctly, and I now hate Ubiquity AirRouters.

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

thats stuff i think about long and hard. hasent changed in years. 99% sure it wont ever again.

...and I am 'five nines' sure it will.

7>16 nine years, in nine years you will only be 25 another nine 34 and so on, you still maintain that your opinions on "stuff you have thought long and hard over" will not change by the time you are 60?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Just going to leave this here (I'm Tom)

The nonsense... I couldn't handle it. I know that Sweden has good internet, but oh god even swedish people overrate their own internet

[10/05/15 15:10:41] Leo: http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=1953857

the cheapest one there is, but i also saw 

[10/05/15 15:10:49] Leo: seems to be an intel socket 1150 so
[10/05/15 15:11:37] Tom: Can’t open those pages
[10/05/15 15:12:09] Leo: dog internet
[10/05/15 15:12:15] Tom: My internet is perfect kek
[10/05/15 15:12:25] Leo: s-i-k-e-
[10/05/15 15:12:29] Tom: Not sike kek
[10/05/15 15:12:39] Tom: It’s better than 98% of Belgium.
[10/05/15 15:13:10] Leo: Sweden looks at belgium & laughs when it comes to internet speed.
[10/05/15 15:13:15] Leo: we're in the top 5 in the world with the fastest internet
[10/05/15 15:13:15] Leo: kek
[10/05/15 15:13:35] Tom: Well yeah but my download isn’t something to laugh at either. Not everyone in sweden has 1Gb up/down
[10/05/15 15:13:46] Leo: actually, a lot of people do xD
[10/05/15 15:13:50] Tom: Well okay
[10/05/15 15:13:51] Tom: but do u ?
[10/05/15 15:13:53] Leo: it's nothing big here.
[10/05/15 15:13:55] Leo: and yes, i do
[10/05/15 15:13:59] Leo: ive had
[10/05/15 15:14:00] Tom: Prove it, pfft
[10/05/15 15:14:01] Leo: a lot bigger
[10/05/15 15:14:06] Tom: do a speedtest.net
[10/05/15 15:14:15] Leo: i've had over 10Gb up/down
[10/05/15 15:14:20] Leo: also 5Gb Up/Down
[10/05/15 15:14:37] Tom: Okay but do a speedtest kek
[10/05/15 15:15:06] Leo: Speedtest with over 10 browsers, wow, skype,steam and spotify open.
[10/05/15 15:15:07] Leo: (y)
[10/05/15 15:15:09] Leo: good idea
[10/05/15 15:15:20] Tom: That does not affect speed by the slightest bit
[10/05/15 15:15:24] Leo: actually
[10/05/15 15:15:24] Leo: it does.
[10/05/15 15:15:26] Tom: Ofc not
[10/05/15 15:15:42] Leo: when they do the speed tests it runs on ur current speed.
[10/05/15 15:15:48] Leo: the more speed u use.
[10/05/15 15:15:49] Leo: the less u have.
[10/05/15 15:15:53] Leo: just like an example.
[10/05/15 15:15:56] Leo: a person has shit internet.
[10/05/15 15:15:58] Leo: he opens a browser.
[10/05/15 15:15:59] Tom: I have the same things open that you have, besides WoW then, I’m uisng 0.5Mb/s
[10/05/15 15:16:00] Leo: bam he gets more MS
[10/05/15 15:16:16] Tom: You’re overrating the usage of WoW and other applications
[10/05/15 15:16:18] Tom: It’s literally nothing
[10/05/15 15:16:23] Leo: actually it is.
[10/05/15 15:16:25] Leo you just think it isnt
[10/05/15 15:16:28] Tom: Leo...
[10/05/15 15:16:31] Leo: Tom...
[10/05/15 15:16:32] Tom: I can monitor my usage
[10/05/15 15:16:36] Tom: It’s literally 0.5Mb/s
[10/05/15 15:16:45] Leo: Don't believe too much in the technology today Tom.. ;)
[10/05/15 15:16:57] Tom: Just do a speedtest like this then
[10/05/15 15:17:01] Tom: It’s not gonna use 500Mb/s
[10/05/15 15:17:12] Tom: I’ll even be impressed if u have 500Mb/s

personally i think the best looking operating system would have to be linux.

you want it to look like windows xp at desktop but windows 9000OSXturbo?

you can.

custom shiiieeeettt *waves hands*

Isn't it cheating to say your preferred OS visually is a completely custom one? :P

I said I want an SSD. My dad walks into the room, and then says: Why would you want an STD?

Saw a picture once of a guy protecting himself from a virus by putting a condom over his Ethernet cable.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Saw a picture once of a guy protecting himself from a virus by putting a condom over his Ethernet cable.

Use a firewall lol. OH NO! THE CONDOM BURSTED!!!! I CAN GET A VIRUS

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Eh, not as bad as my school. They have some budget Celeron PC's with 4GB (Maybe two, I don't know) that are all in a line INSIDE a desk with no ventilation.

You literally aren't allowed to use colours and textures on autodesk because it 'crashes the server', when in reality the computers are too crap to handle anything more than five parts to a model :D

We have some really nice Dells with a Quatro 600, 1080p monitor, 8GB of RAM, and an i7. Only for Design and Modeling. Rest of school uses MacBook Pros.

Or just do what I did. Buy a 15 meter cable and run it from the router all the way to your room upstairs.

I'd rather use powerline, but we have a range extender, and it has an Ethernet port.

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

I was working in a computer lab with about a dozen computers and they were powered from a power strip plugged into a power strip plugged into a power strip.

That is:

A. Illegal 

B. Unsafe

C. AND INCREDIBLY STUPID.

Hi this is nothing to do with this convo I just have no I dare about forums and finding the 1 I need !I have a hp q6600 quadcore 2.4 ghz an I recently lost the graphics card inside with was a geforce 8600gt!! I want to get a new card but I really have no idea what I am doing I am a noob to all of it and I would highly apreciate some help the u in advance for your kind help

Taking care of PC:

I'll be like:

fix-computer.gif

My friends be like:

patrick-spongebob-computer.gif

I have a story about this one... I've already posted it, so you'll have to find it. But I wished I had found this  :D

New story, this time @ local a computer upgrade store (I was there because they had a sale on SSDs). Here we go

Worker: Hello Sir! Welcome to the Computer Center of Indiana!

Me: Hi, where are your SSDs?

Worker: *Points towards the GPUs*

Me: Sir, those are the GPUs

Worker: No their not! Those are the finest SSDs on the market! They use the power of AGP!

Me: What the literal f*ck! AGP is a wicked old GPU standard! Do you know anything about computers!

Worker: Yes I do! I used to work at Best Buy!

Me: *FACE F*CKING PALM*

Worker: Calm down, you sir know nothing about Computers, if you would like us to install your SSD, that that will be $1,000 US.

Me: So, that's about $920 Mark up?!

Worker:  No! These SSDs cost $12 per Gigabyte! SSDs are expensive! You know-it-all!

Me: Did you just call me a know it all? Um, Mr. Best Buy, I can go on Amazon.com and order a $80 SSD that has 250 GB of storage. Do you even know what IOPs are?

Worker: Those SSDs are of lesser quality. You shouldn't buy them. And IOPs are Instructions Of Power, they have nothing to do with Computers.

Me: Alright then, bye, You are obviously not qualified to sell Tech Products, you X58 socket! (Yes I actually called the guy an X58 Socket)

Worker: *Shock*

Me: Lol

Worker: Why did you call me an AMD CPU?

Me: *Leaves the building*

Best story ever. 

(Please note, the "Computer Center of Indiana" isn't an actual place, I am using it as an alias).

New story, this time @ local a computer upgrade store (I was there because they had a sale on SSDs). Here we go

Worker: Hello Sir! Welcome to the Computer Center of Indiana!

Me: Hi, where are your SSDs?

Worker: *Points towards the GPUs*

Me: Sir, those are the GPUs

Worker: No their not! Those are the finest SSDs on the market! They use the power of AGP!

Me: What the literal f*ck! AGP is a wicked old GPU standard! Do you know anything about computers!

Worker: Yes I do! I used to work at Best Buy!

Me: *FACE F*CKING PALM*

Worker: Calm down, you sir know nothing about Computers, if you would like us to install your SSD, that that will be $1,000 US.

Me: So, that's about $920 Mark up?!

Worker:  No! These SSDs cost $12 per Gigabyte! SSDs are expensive! You know-it-all!

Me: Did you just call me a know it all? Um, Mr. Best Buy, I can go on Amazon.com and order a $80 SSD that has 250 GB of storage. Do you even know what IOPs are?

Worker: Those SSDs are of lesser quality. You shouldn't buy them. And IOPs are Instructions Of Power, they have nothing to do with Computers.

Me: Alright then, bye, You are obviously not qualified to sell Tech Products, you X58 socket! (Yes I actually called the guy an X58 Socket)

Worker: *Shock*

Me: Lol

Worker: Why did you call me an AMD CPU?

Me: *Leaves the building*

Best story ever. 

(Please note, the "Computer Center of Indiana" isn't an actual place, I am using it as an alias).

That just made my day

-big snip-

How the actual fuck do these idiots get their jobs?!  This has to be, by far, the worst tech store employee I've ever heard about.

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

So I'm walking by my mother's laptop, and I see this... kid watching a YT video that is skipping half the frames. I make the kid leave, and take a closer look. Incredibly slow even with that SSD I so kindly got her? Wait... could it be.... All 4GB RAM used up?!?! Really? What could be using it all?

8fHbqv5.jpg

107 tabs open in Chrome. I counted.

Well, I know what she's getting for Mother's day. She got an extra 8 gigs of memory (total 12), and a stern talking to about how to manage her browsing.

She didn't seem to understand or care about keeping her browsing habits in check, but now at least she can have her tabs and love them.

All's well that ends well.

I don't do signatures.

Wait.... Isn't lube conductive? Or is it not?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I would have called him an A4 APU!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

How the actual fuck do these idiots get their jobs?!  This has to be, by far, the worst tech store employee I've ever heard about.

I bet he said something about... I actually have no f*cking idea.

I would have called him an A4 APU!

I wanted to call him The "Bastard" Chipset.

Wait.... Isn't lube conductive? Or is it not?

I have made so many innuendos about the male Ethernet cable being the "packet" sender and the RJ-45 jack being the "reciever" port. I have a dirty mind.

I actually explained what I knew about a certain subject using a USB innuendo.

Said parent (Mom) keeps messing with the chrome browser size and blames it on windows 8. Brett come fix this for me, mmmkay... Clicks maximize, fixed. Said parent (Dad) Brett what's youtube... Face palm...

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10