Experiences with non-techies

Im pretty sure you can get mac minis with i7's in them and at least 8gb RAM, which would be awesome for video editing as AfterFX and C4D/etc. all use CPU usage to render things.

As for heat, they chose their processors to have minimal TDP and therefore generally run cooler.

Mac minis look better then any Intel NUC or Brix you will get and most users would pay an extra couple hundred to get something they love the look of (not something cheap and plastic).

As for pricing, you can pick the up for sub 600 im pretty sure (for a lower spec'd model)

""i7""s that are low power dual cores with hyperthreading. Not something you can comfortably video edit on. So no, even with the highest end one decent video editing will not happen. I never said anything about heat. Yeah, bring in subjective looks again to justify a way higher price tag. The NUC I linked plus ram and hdd right now would be 600$ cheaper. And the 600$ mac mini is just straight up unusable garbage that is bad for anyone.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

""i7""s that are low power dual cores with hyperthreading. Not something you can comfortably video edit on. So no, even with the highest end one decent video editing will not happen. I never said anything about heat. Yeah, bring in subjective looks again to justify a way higher price tag. The NUC I linked plus ram and hdd right now would be 600$ cheaper. And the 600$ mac mini is just straight up unusable garbage that is bad for anyone.

Hyperthreading is good for rendering, and you need to think like a consumer and not enthusiast for once.

People don't care how much more it is, if it looks nice and is simple to use with a "pretty" GUI (OSX does look better then Windows) then people will pay the extra dollars.

Just like getting a GTR 35 (v6 engine) compared to a HSV Maloo which sports the bigger v8. People pay more for the GTR because it looks 'better' to them, they dont care about the sacrifice to horses

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

IKR. When we got everything to build my PC, we (me and my mom) got into an arguement if I should build it by myself. She brought into the arguement, your just a kid that watches internet videos. Anyways, I built it by myself and it works fine. The people who think that you get wiser as you grow older, thats stupid. WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK THEY ARE???

There is the general idea that you gain wisdom when you get older, and that worked right up until computers were popularized.

Sig under construction.

Hyperthreading is good for rendering, and you need to think like a consumer and not enthusiast for once.

People don't care how much more it is, if it looks nice and is simple to use with a "pretty" GUI (OSX does look better then Windows) then people will pay the extra dollars.

Just like getting a GTR 35 (v6 engine) compared to a HSV Maloo which sports the bigger v8. People pay more for the GTR because it looks 'better' to them, they dont care about the sacrifice to horses

Yes, but you're looking at a multiple time decrease in performance for the lower-power i7s.\

Hyperthreading does help but that only makes up some of the difference.

Sig under construction.

Someone has a laptop with 980M and asked me...

"Why my games are lagging? This is a gaming laptop!"

"Let me see..."

He hasn't downloaded his GPU's drivers.... He almost dumped the laptop dude (ಥ﹏ಥ).... Immediately I installed the drivers, I don't want him dumped that laptop, so scary....

His laptop is GT72 DOMINATOR PRO DRAGON EDITION (MSI)

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Someone has a laptop with 980M and asked me...

"Why my games are lagging? This is a gaming laptop!"

"Let me see..."

He hasn't downloaded his GPU's drivers.... He almost dumped the laptop dude (ಥ﹏ಥ).... Immediately I installed the drivers, I don't want him dumped that laptop, so scary....

His laptop is GT72 DOMINATOR PRO DRAGON EDITION (MSI)

You should've told him you take that slow piece of shit for 100bucks.

Profit.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Hyperthreading won't make up for dual core when rendering.

OSX looking better than Windows is subjective. Windows is (especially 10) starting to look more modern.

soup, on 04 May 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:snapback.png

After you with that crystal ball.

hm??? >.>

You can see into the future i.e your politics your religion etc wont change. As you (TIY)know at 16 how you will feel at (say)60.

Note this is nothing to do with knowledge levels ,or age or...

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

even google is a grammarnazi

how-can-u-get-herpes.jpg

meanwhile

post-89070-0-88015600-1430991015.jpg

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

Hyperthreading is good for rendering if there are 4 cores. 2 cores with hyperthreading are nothing compared to a full quad core without hyperthreading (from intel of course). The NUC I linked has an i5 that is identical to that ""i7"" with the sole difference of a couple hundred mhz.

Consumer != stupid necessarily. A lot of the times they don't know any better, but if they did they would change their mind instantly.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You should've told him you take that slow piece of shit for 100bucks.

Profit.

LOL he paid me  :P he said that he would do anything I wanted just to fix his laptop, he said he'd even pay me  :P soooo nailed it.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I get that, punctuation is not really that much different in almost any language. And reading wall of text without it, is pain in the ass. :D

This sentences punctuation, is annoying.

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

This sentence's punctuation, is annoying.

It doesn't need to be perfect punctuation, it just needs to make the wall of text properly readable without having to mentally insert it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It doesn't need to be perfect punctuation, it just needs to make the wall of text properly readable without having to mentally insert it.

True.

Another tale, I remember as a kid finding an old, non-used PC and taking it apart. I took out the CPU and touched the IHS, the thermal paste and all that. I remember asking my dad what it was, and then putting it back together to be donated.

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

I'm only at the age of 16 yet I am the only one in my family that even knows what a HDD actually looks like.

One of the worst experiences I have with non-techies is my Dad, he has had the same laptop for about 5 years and a couple of years ago we changed internet provider. He then thought that the fact his computer was slow, which was probably due to its age and what he does with the laptop, was due to the change of internet and that it had put a virus on his laptop. All I could suggest to him was an upgrade is in order and that the ISP had nothing to do with that fact his laptop slowed down.

My Mum is just as bad, whenever she gets the chance she asks me to put things on her desktop or attach documents to her emails. I wouldn't mind too much but she has a cheap laptop running an Intel Atom so it takes 10 minutes to send an email.

CPU: FX-6300 GPU: Sapphire R9 380X MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: XFX XTR 550W CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

17 years old, PC Enthusiast for 3. Be gentle with me, I'm only young.

This isn't the same thread? Why are there two?

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

I have a pretty bad story on my part.  Back when I was just getting into computers (a few years ago) I tried taking an old one apart just to see what it was like and to maybe get a feel for it.  Long story short, I ripped a few cables out and thought, "Well the machine is an old PoS anyway, why not have some fun?"  AND BASHED THE CPU SOCKET WITH A SCREWDRIVER.  I still have nightmares about it.  Just recently I got down and dirty and cleaned it, put in new thermal paste, got everything cable managed, ready to install linux for a DIY minecraft/fileserver and wondered why it wouldn't post.  Well whaddya know, the socket's massacred.  I was such an idiot then.

EDIT:  Luckily I didn't destroy the actual processor, a P4.  I'm planning to make it into a keychain add-on.

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

Yet another story here, thankfully not about me  :P

Anyways, our school-issued chromebooks are shitty samsung-made flimsy slabs of grey plastic.  I was bored in homeroom so I was peeling the bezel off, which just snaps off with a few weak clip things.  My somewhat-friend, let's call him "F", was like:

F:  Whoa!  Are you hacking the chromebook?

Me:  Uh, no.  I'm just bored and looking at the camera module.

F:  Oh, okay.  Hey, I can see the motherboard!  *points at backlight*

Me:  That's not the motherboard, that's just the screen backlight.  The motherboard is under the keyboard, in the plastic shell.

F:  Oh.  *proceeds to rip the bezel off of his own chromebook, which already is plastered with tape, scuff marks, dirt, and what I'm assuming is either cheeto or dorito oil*

F:  Cool!  I can see the pixels!

Me:  That's wonderful.

F:  *stares intently at screen for 5 minutes*

Me:  You okay?

F:  I'm trying to see the pixels change the matrix.

Me:  *facekeyboard*

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

My friend who calls himself a techie does the following:

Thinks ram is used as storage before the hdd accesses it.. :P

Thinks the razer blade is blah because he mindlessly hates on razer just because Linus once ranted about the new peripherals.

Thinks his cpu isn't overheating when it's running @ 73C.. In the bios...

Also used vassaline as thermal compound. P

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

I have a pretty bad story on my part.  Back when I was just getting into computers (a few years ago) I tried taking an old one apart just to see what it was like and to maybe get a feel for it.  Long story short, I ripped a few cables out and thought, "Well the machine is an old PoS anyway, why not have some fun?"  AND BASHED THE CPU SOCKET WITH A SCREWDRIVER.  I still have nightmares about it.  Just recently I got down and dirty and cleaned it, put in new thermal paste, got everything cable managed, ready to install linux for a DIY minecraft/fileserver and wondered why it wouldn't post.  Well whaddya know, the socket's massacred.  I was such an idiot then.

EDIT:  Luckily I didn't destroy the actual processor, a P4.  I'm planning to make it into a keychain add-on.

Lol I did that with an Athlon 64 and I really wanted to use it 3 years later :P

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Lol I did that with an Athlon 64 and I really wanted to use it 3 years later :P

Hindsight is a bitch huh ? :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Happened sometime this week (I forget.. Been busy).

One of our clients came up and said there's something wrong because he can't access the company server.

I take his Macbook and try pinging the server by name and ip, failed both times.

I think I'll turn the wifi on and off. I go to the wifi drop down menu and he's connected to btwifi.......................

Well of fking course you can't access the server.

Just had a call in work that a woman couldn't access the domain because she was locked out..

I unlocked her account and reset her password, and she still got it wrong 3 times.

So I changed it the password again and she still couldn't log in, she got he colleague to type the password and they successfully logged in! haha

I felt sorry for her though :P

I'm going to put a link to my PC specs which actually aren't my PC specs and I cry myself to sleep everyday so I can have these PC specs but I can't afford these PC specs so PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs.

-snip-

How did she do that ?

I can imagine you behind the PC changing the password like :D

Cas-shake-head.gif

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler