Need Router Advice for 130sqm Home with Strong 2.4GHz

Hello,

I'm moving to a new location and considering buying a new router, while leaving the old one at the current place. I've been using a TP-Link Archer C2300 v1.0 for about 6 or 7 years. Generally, it meets my needs, although I wish it had an OpenVPN server. I've managed this issue using Tailscale.

At my parents' house, I have an ASUS TUF Gaming AX3000 V2, and surprisingly, its Wi-Fi coverage is worse than the Archer's.

The new place is around 130 square meters, and I'm considering purchasing a new router. I was looking at the TP-Link Archer AX72 Pro, but I read a post here mentioning that Wi-Fi 6 is just a combination of 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, and it doesn't provide two bands simultaneously. My concern is that I need both bands for devices that only support 2.4GHz. Additionally, I need good coverage throughout the flat because I work from home and require a strong signal.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, InuGoliath91 said:

but I read a post here mentioning that Wi-Fi 6 is just a combination of 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands

All WiFi 5 and up routers have to support simultaneous dual band. Meaning the router will have 2.4, 5 Ghz radios that work at the same time. With WiFi 6E you get a third band of 6 Ghz. What you might have read is that a device can ONLY connect to one band at a time. This is true with the exception of WiFi 7, as multi band connections should be a thing with that standard. Another thing, some routers will combine the SSID and devices will just connect to the band that they can. Personally I prefer to have a 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz SSID's separate as some times combining them can cause issues with devices being on the edge of a bands coverage area.

1 hour ago, InuGoliath91 said:

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2.4 Ghz has better range an penetration power. The issue with it is other WiFi network can interfere if on the same WiFi channel. Also other devices on the 2.4 Ghz band will also interfere, such as Bluetooth devices, microwave ovens, cordless phones, etc.

There is no way to be sure on if a router is going to work in a space or not, because the airwaves are different every where you go. You seemed to have good luck with TP Link, I cant really say anything bad about them, they seem to be cheaper and just kinda work. I personally have the Synolgoy RT2600AC and its been rock solid, I think they have a WiFi 6 version. I would suggest looking for WiFi 6 devices at least, while WiFi 7 is kinda out, its probably going to take a while for it to catch on.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.