Experiences with non-techies

I agree... I'm going to be 14 this month, and all my friends will be seniors when I go to highschool. :( I can't stand 90% of the people in my school at my age level. :/

My school life in a nutshell. Only the last 2 years of high school were bearable because they started closing the mental gap. That is not to say I didn't have my own maturity problems (don't we all?) but MAN, I got to wonder if conversation subjects could even GET more braindead.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 Years Ago, I told my friend who was planning to build a computer that a 750Ti was good. At that time, I wasn't as knowledgeable as I am about tech today. The next day, I told him not to buy the 750Ti because I had researched on it and he was like nope already bought it. Hes also knowledgeable about tech (Though not researching and just buying stuff)(Is that counted knowledgeable?)

And then he goes around buying SSDs during school break time.

Now (by now I mean a few weeks ago), he asks me for my opinions and then decides not to listen to them. A few days ago:

This is the exact chat, Not paraphrasing

Him: I need

Him: wireless

Him: Mouse

Me: Logitech mx master OP

Him: Logitech skrub

Him: Peasant

Me: Please

Me: A lot of people say that its good

Me: Its a good office mouse okay

Him: Nah m8

Him: More like

Him: for teh weak

Me: Can you at least check it out

Him: No

Me: Fine, then you find your own stuff

-Blocks him-

Pfft.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

I had to help a small business with a nas. I had them buy a WD Nas with four drive. I got a call later from that business saying they went for the cheaper one and it is not working. I came out to look at it when I realized they bought the disk less kind. They got mad at me for not warning them. I replied with I gave you my recommendation and your amazon order shows that it was disk less when you bought it. LOL 

Chase B
Sound Tech and GPU Expert

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

I had to help a small business with a nas. I had them buy a WD Nas with four drive. I got a call later from that business saying they went for the cheaper one and it is not working. I came out to look at it when I realized they bought the disk less kind. They got mad at me for not warning them. I replied with I gave you my recommendation and your amazon order shows that it was disk less when you bought it. LOL 

You will learn very quickly, that you have to repeat what people should buy again and again. Don't even just recommend it (give options), just have them buy the thing you know will work best. I hate when people try to do this, but so far they did listen to me. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

You will learn very quickly, that you have to repeat what people should buy again and again. Don't even just recommend it (give options), just have them buy the thing you know will work best. I hate when people try to do this, but so far they did listen to me. :D

So the way that I work is I give 5-7 options and out of those 5-7 I recommend one that I like the seven. 

Chase B

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

So the way that I work is I give 5-7 options and out of those 5-7 I recommend one that I like the seven. 

I usually only give 3: the best ones I can find/make at the bottom, middle, and top of their price range. Then I just give the layman's pros and cons of each like "this one had a faster processor" or "This one has a better screen" 

Then I give my opinion on the one that gives them the most for their money and which one is the best overall for their needs. 9 times out of 10 the customer ends up satisfied and the last one usually only needs a little help with familiarizing themselves with the change, which I am happy to hep them with.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

I usually only give 3: the best ones I can find/make at the bottom, middle, and top of their price range. Then I just give the layman's pros and cons of each like "this one had a faster processor" or "This one has a better screen" 

Then I give my opinion on the one that gives them the most for their money and which one is the best overall for their needs. 9 times out of 10 the customer ends up satisfied and the last one usually only needs a little help with familiarizing themselves with the change, which I am happy to hep them with.

So i run very close too your method. Sadly this guy was like OK so here is what he recommends and I see a cheaper option lets go for that. It later bit him in the ass   

Chase B

So i run very close too your method. Sadly this guy was like OK so here is what he recommends and I see a cheaper option lets go for that. It later bit him in the ass   

That's the problem, you gonna be blamed for it even though it was his fault. I learned that you need to be a little bit uncompromising if you will. Something along the lines of here are 3 choices (budget, middle, high end) Pick one, I know these work fine. If you gonna buy something different, I am not gonna help you anymore. Sound rough, but people like to blame you for their own stupidity and you need to be prepared for that. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

That's the problem, you gonna be blamed for it even though it was his fault. I learned that you need to be a little bit uncompromising if you will. Something along the lines of here are 3 choices (budget, middle, high end) Pick one, I know these work fine. If you gonna buy something different, I am not gonna help you anymore. Sound rough, but people like to blame you for their own stupidity. :)

I guess I am too nice 

Chase B

I guess I am too nice 

Nothing bad about being friendly and providing information and such, but stand firmly behind your choices and doesn't give any leeway when it comes to buying something. Lot of people are douches and will find a way to exploit your kindness. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

So recently, i've been doing pretty shit in my english class (i currently have a 28/100 but i have a shit load of assignments that can bring that up) so my parents have barred me from using my computer. Yesterday my mom asked me to give her the password to my computer so she can "monitor my history" to make sure I'm only doing school work on it; because my "history" (i assume she means internet history) is definitely not something that can be tampered with, and is definitely able to show if I was using any other programs besides chrome like CS:GO or any other steam game. The best part is that becasue my computer is basically a test bench atm, my mom wouldn't be able to find the power button with out worrying about breaking something!

The amount of times i've had to look at an issue and the problem is something hasn't been turned on  :angry:

The IT person she called to help said the exact same thing.

The class got a good laugh out of it.

I have a little one but it's not mine it's from my dad, he work's at a school in charge of the IT on the school. One day one of the teachers was trying to power on a computer but it didn't work so he contacted dad, he comes in looks around and the first thing he says is, "have you tried plugging in the power?" and the entire class starts laughing and the teacher get's a bit embarresed.

It is for me here in Indiana. So, I dunno. It's still the other two.

huh, i guess some states have some weird laws. (coming from a person who lives in a state were shops legally are suppose to have hitching posts, and 10 miles from another where it is illegal to drink non-dairy milk).

Nothing to see here, move along

huh, i guess some states have some weird laws. (coming from a person who lives in a state were shops legally are suppose to have hitching posts, and 10 miles from another where it is illegal to drink non-dairy milk).

Oh the world... What will we think of next?

My dad can barely work his Samsung Galaxy S4. He always has to ask me how to turn the camera lol.

CPU: i7 4790k Devil's Canyon MOBO: G1.SNIPER | GPU: GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ | CPU-COOLER: CM Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: G.Skill Sniper X 8GB

PSU: Corsair CX600 | CASE: Corsair 760T | MONITOR: Vizio 32in HDTV | HDD & SDD: Kingston 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Today at school, someone had to present something from google presentation.  Firefox was already open, ready for someone to sign in to it.  For some reason, they close Firefox, and opened Internet Explorer  -_-

probably the most bruh moment i have had in a while

u wot m7+1

We were recently doing some online testing at school. ON CHROMEBOOKS! *vomits* (That's Besides the Point Though). Midway through the testing everything goes wrong. Everybody starts getting kicked from test. My knowledge in basic IT infrastructure and ABILITY TO READ OBVIOUS CHROME ERROR MESSAGES, led me to believe the server the test was running on had crashed, and the testing software was kicking everybody when it couldn't auto-save. So the teacher tells everybody to reboot their Chromebooks. Knowing that the issue is not on our end, I calmly try to explain that it will not help anything. This was useless until the tech person came in and fixed the issue. Yeah for not listening to the nerd!

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

So recently, i've been doing pretty shit in my english class (i currently have a 28/100 but i have a shit load of assignments that can bring that up) so my parents have barred me from using my computer. Yesterday my mom asked me to give her the password to my computer so she can "monitor my history" to make sure I'm only doing school work on it; because my "history" (i assume she means internet history) is definitely not something that can be tampered with, and is definitely able to show if I was using any other programs besides chrome like CS:GO or any other steam game. The best part is that becasue my computer is basically a test bench atm, my mom wouldn't be able to find the power button with out worrying about breaking something!

even if she can power it on she will likely check internet explorer :P

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

I posted a picture of my older PC build on Instagram, and I had a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz G0 Stepping CPU at the time. A guy commented and basically went on and on about how Q6600s suck, and he has better performance on his other dual core CPU. I basically went on and told him quality and fps I was getting in certain games. He then said (and I quote), "Cores don't matter..."

U Wot M8!

I about lost it at that point, and I fell on the floor laughing.

Happy Gaming! :)

We were recently doing some online testing at school. ON CHROMEBOOKS! *vomits* (That's Besides the Point Though). Midway through the testing everything goes wrong. Everybody starts getting kicked from test. My knowledge in basic IT infrastructure and ABILITY TO READ OBVIOUS CHROME ERROR MESSAGES, led me to believe the server the test was running on had crashed, and the testing software was kicking everybody when it couldn't auto-save. So the teacher tells everybody to reboot their Chromebooks. Knowing that the issue is not on our end, I calmly try to explain that it will not help anything. This was useless until the tech person came in and fixed the issue. Yeah for not listening to the nerd!

What testing program? Skyward? Or was it SBAC? My school recently did SBAC and they didn't have enough computers for everyone, so they went and bought some crappy ones. The keyboard kept registering keystrokes twice, and I'm sure I racked up some spelling errors because of that.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

So my mom went and put SafeEyes (computer monitoring software) on my computer which blocked shit and limited my usage of the machine. Well I wasn't too happy about this, so I broke the software and rather than trying to fix it, she actually uninstalled it (you need a special code and account info which I could not get) so I hope that she did not try to put it back on, but I think she will. In order to counteract this, I'm going to install a keylogger on my pc to get her account info when she signs in!