Experiences with non-techies

ANY mitx build is going to be bigger than a Mac mini...

Goddamn it. I actually can't find anything smaller than a Mac Mini. The closest thing I could find was the Alienware Alpha at 2200 cm3, while the Mac was at 1397.124 cm3

HOWEVER! According to iFixit's teardown of the Mac Mini Late 2014, it has received a 6! out of 10. https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+Mini+Late+2014+Teardown/30410 

Apple uses Torx screws to lock things down, not to mention the CPU and RAM is soldered and NOT removable. ITX builds, however, are much more flexible, easier to upgrade, will probably have a smaller chance of throttling due to the Mac's small size and low airflow. Did I mention the ITX build COULD be more powerful, as you can install a custom GPU in them?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Goddamn it. I actually can't find anything smaller than a Mac Mini. The closest thing I could find was the Alienware Alpha at 2200 cm3, while the Mac was at 1397.124 cm3

HOWEVER! According to iFixit's teardown of the Mac Mini Late 2014, it has received a 6! out of 10. https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+Mini+Late+2014+Teardown/30410 

Apple uses Torx screws to lock things down, not to mention the CPU and RAM is soldered and NOT removable. ITX builds, however, are much more flexible, easier to upgrade, will probably have a smaller chance of throttling due to the Mac's small size and low airflow. Did I mention the ITX build COULD be more powerful, as you can install a custom GPU in them?

Yep, there are many advantages to a custom built computer but SOME people DO want to pay the extra money and sacrifice performance and upgradeability for a  machine that can EASILY run Mac OS X and has the Mac Mini look and size. For me, a desktop is not important enough to have THAT small so I have one in a elite 130 but for my laptop I have a MacBook Air because it's what works best for ME with productivity (photo editing, web browsing, video streaming, word processing). I was willing to pay that price for those even though I knew there were alternatives that might work better for others.

On a side note: I know macs (and other apple devices) are terrible for upgrading parts in but I also know they aren't THAT hard to replace a part in (from personal experience); I wouldn't be put off from a mac mini because it's hard to take apart.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

So I finally received a much better wireless adapter than I had before which I ordered a few days ago. After telling my stepdad about how I was getting 45 mbps download when I was getting 5 mbps before, his response was:
"Oh, so you're hogging the internet from us? I don't really like that. How would you feel if I ordered a PCI Wiffee thing to make my laptop faster that slowed you down?"

-______________________________________________________-

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I'm going to wait for this thread to be locked and merged with experiences with non techies...

Hello,

Has anyone ever had that problem with their friends when you walk up to them and tell them all about that awesome PC that you are going to build and how cheap it is compared to buying one. And then all of a sudden they some shit like, "Cool. I'm saving up for the highest end Mac Mini. Its got a quad core 2.4 ghz processor and intel 5000 graphics. And best of all, ITS ONLY $1200 DOLLARS!" (facepalm). then you spend the rest of the year trying to convince them not buy it.

I'm sure a lot of you have been in this situation. Tell me about it! :)

I knew it!! I just knew it!!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

this one buy I was talking to thinks radiators provide active cooling...

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

https://youtu.be/Y_2tDojj6Nc

You will get some laughs off this kid.

Damn it, we need to call up Sennheiser, AKG, Audio-Technica, and Beyerdynamic. This kid doesn't understand a damn thing about audio.

(Says me wearing DT-990s)

My dad a couple of days ago:

Dad: Windows was telling me to update to Windows 11 a couple days ago.

Me: No it wasn't. There's no such thing yet.

Dad: No, it was telling me to. The new version of Windows.

Me: No, it did not. Testing on Windows 10 Preview isn't even complete yet, Windows 11 isn't even a thought from Microsoft right now and you probably have some weird virus if it's telling you to upgrade to "11."

My best guess is that Direct X was trying to update, though I have no clue. I'm pretty sure Windows 8.1 comes with DX11 already.

It's probably an update for internet explorer. I had the same experience once with a staff, he said his PC is asking to update from Windows 8 to Windows 11. I checked it only to find out that his internet explorer is asking to update from IE 8 to IE 11 ;)  

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

It's probably an update for internet explorer. I had the same experience once with a staff, he said his PC is asking to update from Windows 8 to Windows 11. I checked it only to find out that his internet explorer is asking to update from IE 8 to IE 11 ;)  

Windows 8.1 comes with 11 I do believe.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Windows 8.1 comes with 11 I do believe.

Yea, it does... didn't read the windows 8.1 part, thought it was a windows 7  :P

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

I cannot believe this thread has gone on for 800+ pages.

I stopped reading at about page 15. And I'm surprised none of you have gone on some kind of homicidal rampage.

I'm glad I don't know anything this fucking clueless/stupid.

So my sister just messaged me
'how do i uninstall things?'
Do i have to say more? ^^

Yes i do!
Because apple support told her to uninstall Itunes before she gets her third replacement iphone :D :D
She said her fourth 'iphone replacement' will be an android ;)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

You can easily fool them  :P

My story:

My Friend: "How do I install GTA:SA? I'm getting error! It's setup.exe right?"

Me: "Have you installed it? Let me take a look, yes it's setup.exe"

My friend gave me his laptop.

Me: "Oh, it's easy go to My Computer and click "Uninstall or Change Program", search GTA: San Andreas and click uninstall."

My Friend: "Okey dokey."

My Friend: "My game is gone! Why????"

Me: "Well, it's supposed to be like that  :P"

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

My story:

Me: "Oh, it's easy go to My Computer and click "Uninstall or Change Program", search GTA: San Andreas and click uninstall."

Thats actually kind of mean, not saying your mean I guess you like to troll people. 

I just give advice, I'm more of a guy who prefers to give people hints and let them figure it out for themselves.  Then they come and tell me they know how to do it.  

So my sister just messaged me

'how do i uninstall things?'

Do i have to say more? ^^

Yes i do!

Because apple support told her to do so befor she gets her third replacement iphone :D:D

She said her fourth 'iphone replacement' will be an android ;)

Good, I have both an Android and Iphone.  IPhone is definitely more what I prefer but at the same time Android is really awesome because I love to hack things and I HATE not being able to hack on IOS. 

Thats actually kind of mean, not saying your mean I guess you like to troll people. 

The guy I trolled is an asshole so it was a good time for a pay back.

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

The guy I trolled is an asshole so it was a good time for a pay back.

Still, one thing I said to this guy who was being bullied

(I made him face the guy, and the bully backed off but this guy wanted payback)

I said, don't.  Your just showing him you are just as bad, its best to show your awesome and capable of beating his ass, its not cool to actually beat it.  So, there. 

I don't blame you though, I troll my friends allot.  Thats awesome if your just trolling.  Just make sure not to beat up anyone over it. 

Still, one thing I said to this guy who was being bullied

(I made him face the guy, and the bully backed off but this guy wanted payback)

I said, don't.  Your just showing him you are just as bad, its best to show your awesome and capable of beating his ass, its not cool to actually beat it.  So, there. 

I don't blame you though, I troll my friends allot.  Thats awesome if your just trolling.  Just make sure not to beat up anyone over it. 

I did it once, at least he doesn't bully me again. Yeah I like to troll, but this guy.... I'd act differently, I wouldn't do this kind of thing but I wanted to make it like this...

"Bully being bullied".

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

I cannot believe this thread has gone on for 800+ pages.

I stopped reading at about page 15. And I'm surprised none of you have gone on some kind of homicidal rampage.

I'm glad I don't know anything this fucking clueless/stupid.

I read to around 450, then gave up and skipped to the end.

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

Macs look nice and aren't very buggy. What if he wants it for the low noise and small size? Cant really get that with a hackintosh...

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

My story:

Not nice, not nice at all.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Not nice, not nice at all.

I know.... I'd try another move in the future, well he's a trouble maker. So everybody hate him....

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

Troubleshooting my Teachers Laptop (We are a Tech school)

I did it for the entire year and I got an extension on my Report on Robert Frost (BTW can some Proof Read it if I post it?)

Because he had a hard drive.

same thread bro...

The 2 threads got merged. Post's from the other now are here. :/

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

The 2 threads got merged. Post's from the other now are here. :/

when did that happen?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

when did that happen?

I don't know, but more stories!

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor