Experiences with non-techies

He's been dead for 4 years now.

Oh, i feel so sorry. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Oh, i feel so sorry. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

It wasn't much of a loss. We barely were together in the final 3 years of his life.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

It wasn't much of a loss. We barely were together in the final 3 years of his life.

Oh, that sucks. So did your parents hate each other or something? What happened that day (if you don't mind explaining. If you do, I understand.)

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Oh, that sucks. So did your parents hate each other or something? What happened that day (if you don't mind explaining. If you do, I understand.)

My parents were divorced for 3 - 4 years I don't remember anymore (I was so young back then). The breakup was due to father's alcoholism (surprise...). To make things worse, he had diabetes (and once felt asleep while holding a lit cigarette, which landed on his stomach, ignited his shirt and burned his stomach. Had to get skin transfer for his stomach).

He died 4 years ago for an unknown reason, most likely either a heart attack or relating to blood sugar levels caused by not eating/drinking alcohol while having diabetes. He was found dead one morning, and his body was still warm, so he probably died before 10.00 AM in the morning, before he was diagnosed as dead in his apartment. At least those were the words of our relative who's also an ambulance driver.

Probably told way more than I should've, but just some background story for you to read.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

My parents were divorced for 3 - 4 years I don't remember anymore (I was so young back then). The breakup was due to father's alcoholism (surprise...). To make things worse, he had diabetes (and once felt asleep while holding a lit cigarette, which landed on his stomach, ignited his shirt and burned his stomach. Had to get skin transfer for his stomach).

He died 4 years ago for an unknown reason, most likely either a heart attack or relating to blood sugar levels caused by not eating/drinking alcohol while having diabetes. He was found dead one morning, and his body was still warm, so he probably died before 10.00 AM in the morning, before he was diagnosed as dead in his apartment. At least those were the words of our relative who's also an ambulance driver.

Probably told way more than I should've, but just some background story for you to read.

Oh, that sucks. Why did your mother decide to marry an alcoholic?

Oh, that sucks. Why did your mother decide to marry an alcoholic?

No. He was better back then.

No. He was better back then.

Oh. Well, how did he just suddenly become an alcoholic?

Oh. Well, how did he just suddenly become an alcoholic?

No.

I think we've derailed this thread enough. Let's stick to the topic.

It sucks when parents have a techie child and refer to me for tech support. Then they pressure you to get the right answer, even if you don't know.

So, I was helping my dad replace a hard drive in his computer. It was a huge pain.

Me: So the first thing you do is unplug the hard drive.

Dad: Ok, how?

Me: Just unplug the data cable from the hard drive. Then the power cable.

Dad: This one? *points to Molex connector*

Me: No.

Dad: *points to floppy power*

Me: NOOOO.

Dad: Screw this. You do it. Get that hard drive in within half an hour or else you get spanked.

Me: WHAT?? WHY? A BIT HARSH THERE.

For God's sake, why? I mean, he didn't know how to install a simple hard drive? I mean, he works for SEAGATE!!!!!!

Spanked? How old are you? And why is he such a ass? (No hate, spanking's just a bad decision)

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

It's just soccer.

But I thought I saw that clip in a movie or something......

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

story 1: sister refuses to fix macbook keyboard

Sister refused to change her macbook keyboard because it was too troublesome, despite it being probably a loosened ribbon connector.

Want to know how she fixed her problem?

she bought a wireless keyboard and placed it over the macbook's keyboard.

story 2: sister doesn't know about types of display connectors

after coming back from her fucking makers academy, she asked if she could borrow my screen just because she "liked having a secondary screen"

so I said fine whatever, she went to my desk and IMMEDIATELY moved her (still) broken macbook over and displaced all the stuff on my desk and tried plugging in the hdmi cable from my laptop (which I had to point out to her which cable it was) into her macbook. 

I was silent and watching from behind the whole time as she was smashing the hdmi into the side of her macbook for about 5 minutes (i had a spare cable so it didn't matter if it broke). It was like watching Tyrion's scene about the beetles in game of thrones

"kuh, kuh, kuh"

She then turned around and asked why i didn't have a "normal" connector.

I asked her if she even knew what connector her macbook used for monitors.

this was legitimately her answer

yeah, usb, I used it all the time at makers

yes, no joke.

She even went so far as to call my monitor "shit" because it didn't use "normal" connectors

I was pretty mad already at the fact that she essentially pushed my whole desk aside so she could use it, and this just topped it off, so I decided to throw a bunch of terms at her and watch her confusion for my entertainment

I listed off all the connectors that my monitor uses to see if she knew any of these, displayport, hdmi, dvi, vga, and her face was just 0_o

she had no idea what I was talking about, and she even asked "do you even know what they are?" in a really bitchy 'omg, you're so dumb' tone. 

I said they're just industry standard display connectors, again, 0_o

I was having fun, ripping into her lack of knowledge of display connectors and tech in general without her knowing what I was doing, but eventually I told her that she needed a mini display port to full size display port connector. again 0_o

so I said it again very clearly, and even wrote it down on a sheet of paper so she could go into the store and show them that piece of paper and they would give her the right connector.

the next day, my sister and parents went out for shopping and I stayed home because I had to do work and uh...other...things, but I get a whatsapp from her a bit later with a picture of

a mini hdmi, with the words "mini hdmi" explicitly written on the front packaging

and the text followed: "finally got the right cable" 

my reply: that's fucking mini hdmi, I said mini display port. mini DISPLAY PORT

sis reply: it IS mini display port

my thoughts: holy fucking shit, where's my house's nail collection? i want to drive one through my eyeballs.

my reply: no it's not, the box says right there "MINI HDMI", go to the computer shop I go to and ask for MINI DISPLAY PORT TO STANDARD DISPLAY PORT CONNECTOR, SAY THOSE WORDS EXACTLY.

sis reply: 

actually, she didn't reply.

they come back later, and I asked if she got the cable, and she said "nah, it was too troublesome to ask them so I didn't" 

are...

you......

kidding..........

and so now, she won't be able to use my screen no matter what, and I say no matter what because there's no hope in the world that she'll get the right cable or bother to get the right one at all.

tl:dr:

sister went to progamming course for 12 weeks, claims to have used usb as display connector in her time there, called my monitor shit for not using usb as connector.

I play around with her lack of knowledge in display connectors. She fails to get correct connector (gets wrong one) after being explicitly told which connector to get.

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

story 1: sister refuses to fix macbook keyboard

Sister refused to change her macbook keyboard because it was too troublesome, despite it being probably a loosened ribbon connector.

Want to know how she fixed her problem?

she bought a wireless keyboard and placed it over the macbook's keyboard.

section 2: sister doesn't know about types of display connectors

after coming back from her fucking makers academy, she asked if she could borrow my screen just because she "liked having a secondary screen"

so I said fine whatever, she went to my desk and IMMEDIATELY moved her (still) broken macbook over and displaced all the stuff on my desk and tried plugging in the hdmi cable from my laptop (which I had to point out to her which cable it was) into her macbook. 

I was silent and watching from behind the whole time as she was smashing the hdmi into the side of her macbook for about 5 minutes (i had a spare cable so it didn't matter if it broke). It was like watching Tyrion's scene about the beetles in game of thrones

"kuh, kuh, kuh"

She then turned around and asked why i didn't have a "normal" connector.

I asked her if she even knew what connector her macbook used for monitors.

this was legitimately her answer

yeah, usb, I used it all the time at makers

yes, no joke.

She even went so far as to call my monitor "shit" because it didn't use "normal" connectors

I was pretty mad already at the fact that she essentially pushed my whole desk aside so she could use it, and this just topped it off, so I decided to throw a bunch of terms at her and watch her confusion for my entertainment

I listed off all the connectors that my monitor uses to see if she knew any of these, displayport, hdmi, dvi, vga, and her face was just 0_o

she had no idea what I was talking about, and she even asked "do you even know what they are?" in a really bitchy 'omg, you're so dumb' tone. 

I said they're just industry standard display connectors, again, 0_o

I was having fun, ripping into her lack of knowledge of display connectors and tech in general without her knowing what I was doing, but eventually I told her that she needed a mini display port to full size display port connector. again 0_o

so I said it again very clearly, and even wrote it down on a sheet of paper so she could go into the store and show them that piece of paper and they would give her the right connector.

the next day, my sister and parents went out for shopping and I stayed home because I had to do work and uh...other...things, but I get a whatsapp from her a bit later with a picture of

a mini hdmi, with the words "mini hdmi" explicitly written on the front packaging

and the text followed: "finally got the right cable" 

my reply: that's fucking mini hdmi, I said mini display port. mini DISPLAY PORT

sis reply: it IS mini display port

my thoughts: holy fucking shit, where's my house's nail collection? i want to drive one through my eyeballs.

my reply: no it's not, the box says right there "MINI HDMI", go to the computer shop I go to and ask for MINI DISPLAY PORT TO STANDARD DISPLAY PORT CONNECTOR, SAY THOSE WORDS EXACTLY.

sis reply: 

actually, she didn't reply.

they come back later, and I asked if she got the cable, and she said "nah, it was too troublesome to ask them so I didn't" 

are...

you......

kidding..........

and so now, she won't be able to use my screen no matter what, and I say no matter what because there's no hope in the world that she'll get the right cable or bother to get the right one at all.

tl:dr:

sister went to progamming course for 12 weeks, claims to have used usb as display connector in her time there, called my monitor shit for not using usb as connector.

I play around with her lack of knowledge in display connectors. She fails to get correct connector (gets wrong one) after being explicitly told which connector to get.

Ain't got time to read this.

this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GondYi7jqxY

he was building a pc on the anti static bag, on a carpet, with socks on. huge palmface (a palmface is a special tree with a face that is very dumb).

Ain't got time to read this.

got a tl:dr at the bottom, feel free to ignore the rest, I just wanted to rant about it

-snip-

I feel really sorry for you but I loved the story.

this video

he was building a pc on the anti static bag, on a carpet, with socks on. huge palmface (a palmface is a special tree with a face that is very dumb).

What's wrong with unboxing on an antistatic bag? I do it all the time.

I feel really sorry for you but I loved the story.

unfortunately, similar events happen far too commonly, it's made me lose my patience with her

Outside of the bag has conductive metal to help keep. Static from getting to the components. Inside is fine to build on outside is BAD

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

The outside of an antistatic bag contains conductive material that could short out your board.

unfortunately, similar events happen far too commonly, it's made me lose my patience with her

Btw love y profile pic!

Outside of the bag has conductive metal to help keep. Static from getting to the components. Inside is fine to build on outside is BAD

So than what if you were to turn the bag inside out?

So than what if you were to turn the bag inside out?

Technically you could build on it.

9000 POSTS!! ITZ OVAR 9000!!!!

Btw love y profile pic!

ikr, I was laughing for a good while when I saw it.

I believe this is the link 

(currently youtube blocked at school, so I can't actually view the video)

edit: yes, it's the right one