Experiences with non-techies

so your saying that is not worth it overclock?

Spending more money for an overclock is not worth it, overclocking is worth it though.

Spending more money for an overclock is not worth it, overclocking is worth it though.

So if you need to spend money to get a higher overclock than you should just upgrade the component?

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

So if you need to spend money to get a higher overclock than you should just upgrade the component?

I guess?

An overclocked potato... Oh hell yeah....

IMG_7437.jpg

Damn dood I bet that potato runs gravy at over 60 fps on high settings!

niceness

I am saving up for an EVGA superclocked 760 acx cooler and eventually a define R4 with a window (for the card) but that is along way away seeing as how PCPartPicker said that that is just over $400 with a power supply to drive the entire thing

Yea spent a lot of time revising it over and over. I'm also lucky that I found a place that still sell the 290 @ MSRP!

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

anybody who actually falls for that deserves what ever happens to their computer.

CPU: Core i7 4770k, RAM: 8GB DDR3 GSkill Ripjaws X, PSU: OCZ 700W, GPU: AMD Radeon R9 270X, Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl, Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

anybody who actually falls for that deserves what ever happens to their computer.

You are saying that in the mindset that ONLY bad things happen to their computer what if something amazing happened to their computer like they were able to get an amazing overclock on one of their components.

My tech teacher was telling me how the after school program prints pages after pages after endless pages of pictures of Justin Bieber (WTF?) and then fails at clearing a jam.

EDIT: The after school program is not run by him but takes place in his room. I feel bad for his Lexmark T630 and his OptiPlex GX270's.

I've been trying to get more and more people over to the dark side, and i've succeeded... though sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

One guy has gotten the itch to upgrade his 7770, so we get to talking and I recommended the 750ti, it had come out the day before. There was also a 7870 that I had a line on for $125 shipped.

So he had those 2 options

He chose option number 3, which was going into the local computer shop and asking for whatever they had in stock. 

A GTX 650... not even ti. for $193.

I told him to go get his money back and that he'd been swindled, showed him benchmarks and everything.

You'd assume he'd take the card back that day and be pretty pissed about it as well. 

2 weeks later we get to talking about it and sure as s*** he's still using the 650.

he took it back the next day.

Then he goes and buys a 8350 when he already had an fx 6300, and is still using the 7770.

Just a lot of facepalming going on there.

Tired of hearing people say you can't install OS X on AMD hardware. Educate yourself.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/138853-just-got-myself-into-a-fully-working-hackintosh-amd-no-less/

I've been trying to get more and more people over to the dark side, and i've succeeded... though sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

One guy has gotten the itch to upgrade his 7770, so we get to talking and I recommended the 750ti, it had come out the day before. There was also a 7870 that I had a line on for $125 shipped.

So he had those 2 options

He chose option number 3, which was going into the local computer shop and asking for whatever they had in stock. 

A GTX 650... not even ti. for $193.

I told him to go get his money back and that he'd been swindled, showed him benchmarks and everything.

You'd assume he'd take the card back that day and be pretty pissed about it as well. 

2 weeks later we get to talking about it and sure as s*** he's still using the 650.

he took it back the next day.

Then he goes and buys a 8350 when he already had an fx 6300, and is still using the 7770.

Just a lot of facepalming going on there.

the 8350 is better than both of the GPUS that he previously considered/bought since it has more numbers!

I was bored so i showed my friend one of my skyrim screenshots, he thought it was a real camera shot and said it wasnt a game(oddly the ui was there but he wasnt buying it)

This is the shot btw.

gallery_16690_349_116326.jpg

Oddly enough that was a old shot, i have many more mods now and it looks way better now. i still find it quite funny.

What graphic mods are those? I can't get my skyrim looking like that.

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

A kid on Facebook asked me what my PC specs were after I posted to another friend about some bench scores. After I told him, this conversation happened. Sometimes it's best to let them go on. :P

USuCrOI.png

I thought y'all might enjoy this.

I am highlighted in blue, my friend is highlighted in green, and the idiot it yellow.

post-419-0-76532900-1394779216_thumb.png

post-419-0-68132000-1394779218_thumb.png

post-419-0-49060100-1394779220_thumb.png

post-419-0-01825600-1394779222_thumb.png

post-419-0-81787500-1394779223.png

And this happened afterwards, my friend sent me a screenshot, LOL.

post-419-0-36024400-1394779224.png

I about died trying to go through this again.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Ok,ok, i need everybody to brace yourself, because you will pass out after reading this.

My friends friend ordered parts for a gaming pc (including a GTX Titan), but something went wrong with the shipping, so most part was destroyed but not the Titan. The website just sent another full set of parts to him. H ebuilded the computer with one Titan. One. And he had two. What happened to the other one, you may ask. He gave it away to his friend for free. FOR FREE. HE GAVE AWAY A GTX TITAN FOR FREE.

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Ok,ok, i need everybody to brace yourself, because you will pass out after reading this.

My friends friend ordered parts for a gaming pc (including a GTX Titan), but something went wrong with the shipping, so most part was destroyed but not the Titan. The website just sent another full set of parts to him. H ebuilded the computer with one Titan. One. And he had two. What happened to the other one, you may ask. He gave it away to his friend for free. FOR FREE. HE GAVE AWAY A GTX TITAN FOR FREE.

Well, that guy is one good friend. By chance, is his name Greg?

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

I guess I'm not that good a friend. If I was giving anyone a Titan, they had better have lips and tongue on or around parts I best not mention by name on this forum. 

No I don't think so, but I don't really know. I live in Sweden btw.

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

My friends in school thinks Macbook is better than Alienware laptops.

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

I have a few for ya:

- Until I took the time to explain her how it worked, my mom was convinced wi-fi was everywhere. Like, merged with the atmosphere or something.
- Once a few techie freinds and me were talking to a non-tech savvy guy, and convinced him to clean the inside of his case, which he hadn't in literally years. Next time we saw him he had managed to fry his motherboard. How? When reconnecting the power supply, he somehow got to the conclusion the mobo's PATA port was a good place to plug in a power cable (worth noting ancient computer hardware isn't that rare in South America).
- Pretty sure he was trolling, but I once encountered a guy who stood firm on the Pentium 4 being a quad core cpu.
- When I was a little kid, my dad taught me how to use Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V. The more reason it irks me how he now uses the context menu for these tasks almost every time.

I know I have more, I just don't remember any at the moment xD

- Pretty sure he was trolling, but I once encountered a guy who stood firm on the Pentium 4 being a quad core cpu.

Encountered them everyday at my school.

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

My friend thinks I'm a non-techie, just since I want an iPhone... Even though I seriously have enough PCs/PC parts to make his head spin. One day I brought my netbook into school, got into the school's wireless, and was on YouTube, and he was baffled that it was so quiet (even though it's not). He got his out, and I tore it apart, and I asked him why one of the fan connectors was ripped on it (he has one of the nice ASUS gaming laptops), and he said that he thought one was enough. Idiot.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)