Experiences with non-techies

:(

Now I feel bad.  :(

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

WHAT THE F*** I AM A BOY!!!!!!!

Please read my frakkin' profile.

Geez sorry! haha I was just goofing around man! sorry  :(

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Geez sorry! haha I was just goofing around man! sorry  :(

It's okay, just f***ing around...

You're good.

About a year ago, my dad called me into his office to tell me something. Eventually I noticed the slowness of his 5 year old HP laptop and told him, which resulted in him saying that he was going to buy a new one soon. I started looking and found that, not only was he using and old version of IE that had many tool bars, but also that he had not gotten rid of ANY of the bloatware on his laptop and most of it was set to run on start up. I installed chrome and got rid of all of the bloatware which resulted in a large increase in relative speed. When he got his new laptop recently, he refused to let me take the thing away for an hour to set it up properly but had no idea how to configure windows properly (mostly the windows live stuff in windows 8 as he was upgrading from Vista),  but yelled at me when I tried to take over. 

My mom is the sort of person who thinks that they know more than they actually do about tech. Also she uses an iMac. There will be many times when she will ask me to come and help her with a problem that is exclusive to macs (navigating through Finder, changing file types, etc.) and expects me to know everything there is to know about the damn thing despite the fact that I never use OSX. Sometimes she is completely clueless with tech. The other day, she purchased a second monitor for her Mac (Dell ultrasharp) and purchased a miniDsplayport to Displayport cable (under my supervision, naturally). The whole package came before I managed to get home from school and she tried to hook it up w/ the monitor. Instead of plugging the cable into its proper port on the monitor, she instead tried to plug it into the USB port on the side of the monitor. Instead of waiting until I got home and asking me to help, she instead "went online and did a help" (as she puts it). According to her, the Dell person was completely useless and was asking her various questions that "she had already answered." Before I finish the story, **I must mention that my mom thinks that tech support are supposed know everything about the problem that you have and will solve it without your involvement. As a result, from what I have heard, she NEVER provides sufficient info to the person on the other end then complains about how crap all tech support is (minus apple, according to her.) ** Anyway, after she got nowhere with Dell, she decided to go to Radio Shack and purchase a thunderbolt to VGA adapter... For her god damn new Dell ULTRASHARP  monitor. She then proceeded to use VGA WITH A FUCKING PROFESSIONAL GRADE MONITOR AND A REALLY SHITTY ADAPTER. Just let that sink in for a bit. 

Explaining what the 'Cloud' is to people.......

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

It's okay, just f***ing around...

You're good.

Haha! Yea you too! I was worried that I really offended you there...

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

About a year ago, my dad called me into his office to tell me something. Eventually I noticed the slowness of his 5 year old HP laptop and told him, which resulted in him saying that he was going to buy a new one soon. I started looking and found that, not only was he using and old version of IE that had many tool bars, but also that he had not gotten rid of ANY of the bloatware on his laptop and most of it was set to run on start up. I installed chrome and got rid of all of the bloatware which resulted in a large increase in relative speed. When he got his new laptop recently, he refused to let me take the thing away for an hour to set it up properly but had no idea how to configure windows properly (mostly the windows live stuff in windows 8 as he was upgrading from Vista),  but yelled at me when I tried to take over. 

My mom is the sort of person who thinks that they know more than they actually do about tech. Also she uses an iMac. There will be many times when she will ask me to come and help her with a problem that is exclusive to macs (navigating through Finder, changing file types, etc.) and expects me to know everything there is to know about the damn thing despite the fact that I never use OSX. Sometimes she is completely clueless with tech. The other day, she purchased a second monitor for her Mac (Dell ultrasharp) and purchased a miniDsplayport to Displayport cable (under my supervision, naturally). The whole package came before I managed to get home from school and she tried to hook it up w/ the monitor. Instead of plugging the cable into its proper port on the monitor, she instead tried to plug it into the USB port on the side of the monitor. Instead of waiting until I got home and asking me to help, she instead "went online and did a help" (as she puts it). According to her, the Dell person was completely useless and was asking her various questions that "she had already answered." Before I finish the story, **I must mention that my mom thinks that tech support are supposed know everything about the problem that you have and will solve it without your involvement. As a result, from what I have heard, she NEVER provides sufficient info to the person on the other end then complains about how crap all tech support is (minus apple, according to her.) ** Anyway, after she got nowhere with Dell, she decided to go to Radio Shack and purchase a thunderbolt to VGA adapter... For her god damn new Dell ULTRASHARP  monitor. She then proceeded to use VGA WITH A FUCKING PROFESSIONAL GRADE MONITOR AND A REALLY SHITTY ADAPTER. Just let that sink in for a bit. 

Good god I feel bad for you....

You should get rid of the VGA adapter and connect it via DP...

Lucky for you Linus has a tech quickie video for that!

Good god I feel bad for you....

You should get rid of the VGA adapter and connect it via DP...

I forgot to mention that I actually did connect it via DP and now doesn't have really shit image quality. She returned the adapter after realizing that DP was much better. And one other quick thing; I was able to convince my sister to get an HTC One as her first smartphone (she was 11 when she got it) and when she first got it, she asked if it had the app store and iTunes on it and was surprised/disappointed when it didn't. 

I forgot to mention that I actually did connect it via DP and now doesn't have really shit image quality. She returned the adapter after realizing that DP was much better. And one other quick thing; I was able to convince my sister to get an HTC One as her first smartphone (she was 11 when she got it) and when she first got it, she asked if it had the app store and iTunes on it and was surprised/disappointed when it didn't. 

Poor soul.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Good Man! Educating the one ones that are not as fortunate as we are to know the better tech!

Poor soul.

I did manage to convert my entire family to Windows/Android with the exception my mom's mid-2011 iMac, and when that will be replaced (in a couple years), I will build her a glorious PC! 

Good Man! Educating the one ones that are not as fortunate as we are to know the better tech!

It is always so rewarding!

I must also mention that I'm inducting my dad into the pc master race by building a computer in the Slverstone FT03 with him!

Ok so, you know, there are folders that only you can access since they're yours, but problem was that you could access to the folders of the people in your entire class and vice versa, but that was ok I guessed, until I found out that you could access the personal folders of the teachers, which contained all the futur homeworks and stuff, so yeaaahhh... I told the IT guy about it and he then called the principal, and they were like, "how about you fix this for us and tell nobody about it ?" I was okay with that, but yeah, detention...

Next time I suggest writting a readme and droping it in the principles folder :P (or multiple teacher's folders, obviously anonymously)

Horray 100th Post!!! PARTY!!!! I am now an advanced memeber!!

My little brother thought the PCISet was a capacitor in my dad's old rig. 

Congrats! I haven't even paid attention to my posts! I haven't looked into the perks of having a lot of them if any.

I did manage to convert my entire family to Windows/Android with the exception my mom's mid-2011 iMac, and when that will be replaced (in a couple years), I will build her a glorious PC!

It is always so rewarding!

I must also mention that I'm inducting my dad into the pc master race by building a computer in the Slverstone FT03 with him!

You do not understand how lucky you are... Most techies only dream of converting their entire family to Android and Windows. How the heck did you do that!?

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

I went to Best Buy with my dad because he needed to return something.

He was looking at the specs for a computer that said "8gb Memory" and scoffed because he had a 16gb USB drive for his memory.

I wanted to give up on humanity.

You do not understand how lucky you are... Most techies only dream of converting their entire family to Android and Windows. How the heck did you do that!?

Try using logic and compare costs. My dad dislikes apple because of how overpriced they are even though he isn't as much of a techy as me or most of the people here. At least he knows enough stuff about computers to know that apple products aren't as good as they claim they are...

I had a little run in with my not so smart classmate.i study nitec in electronics(computer&networking) .some of my friends brought their laptops to school to play LoL. One of them complained that his laptop was not powerful enough and he wanted to get a new one so this conversation happened.

A(the one who wanted a new laptop): my laptop is slow, you guys recommend any new ones

B(the not so smart one) how many GB is your laptop?

A: 500GB

B: ha! Mine is 1 TB!

I jump in and say : dude, your 'GB' doesn't define performance. I now say to A: and it depends and what you're going to use it for,what kinds of games you're playing, I'm thinking of getting the MSI ge60

B retorts: no, my Alienware is much better.it can be upgraded and has a backlit keyboard

Me: well you can upgrade some things of most laptops, and the one I recommend also has a backlit keyboard.and. Besides,Alienware is overpriced and bulky

B: NO! Every laptop is different and it's parts are different.and my Alienware has individual backlit keys

Me: alright the msi one is backlit in zones. But some parts like hard drives and ram are standard sized and universal.

B: no! Did you see how thin A's laptop was , how do you expect to upgrade that?

I now raise my voice: no! Like I said ,some parts like hard drive and ram are standard sized and universal.i know how to assemble a computer and upgrade the parts of a laptop, and that is why I joined this course !

And everyone who heard that was like wow,that's cool ! . B later asked me if I could upgrade his Alienware as it was running hot and loud.i told him he had to clean it out and replace the thermal compound after which I briefly described to him what it was and why it was needed. He was like' what? I want to get a water cooler for it" after which I excused myself to the toilet to laugh my ass off . I don't want to brag but I think I'm the only tech savvy person in my class.

I had a little run in with my not so smart classmate.i study nitec in electronics(computer&networking) .some of my friends brought their laptops to school to play LoL. One of them complained that his laptop was not powerful enough and he wanted to get a new one so this conversation happened.

A(the one who wanted a new laptop): my laptop is slow, you guys recommend any new ones

B(the not so smart one) how many GB is your laptop?

A: 500GB

B: ha! Mine is 1 TB!

I jump in and say : dude, your 'GB' doesn't define performance. I now say to A: and it depends and what you're going to use it for,what kinds of games you're playing, I'm thinking of getting the MSI ge60

B retorts: no, my Alienware is much better.it can be upgraded and has a backlit keyboard

Me: well you can upgrade some things of most laptops, and the one I recommend also has a backlit keyboard.and. Besides,Alienware is overpriced and bulky

B: NO! Every laptop is different and it's parts are different.and my Alienware has individual backlit keys

Me: alright the msi one is backlit in zones. But some parts like hard drives and ram are standard sized and universal.

B: no! Did you see how thin A's laptop was , how do you expect to upgrade that?

I now raise my voice: no! Like I said ,some parts like hard drive and ram are standard sized and universal.i know how to assemble a computer and upgrade the parts of a laptop, and that is why I joined this course !

And everyone who heard that was like wow,that's cool ! . B later asked me if I could upgrade his Alienware as it was running hot and loud.i told him he had to clean it out and replace the thermal compound after which I briefly described to him what it was and why it was needed. He was like' what? I want to get a water cooler for it" after which I excused myself to the toilet to laugh my ass off . I don't want to brag but I think I'm the only tech savvy person in my class.

Both A and B are fcking retards.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

My family thinks IE is the superior browser. DEAD WRONG. I can't even merge them to Firefox or Chrome. Well, I'll just let them die of a security breach.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

My family thinks IE is the superior browser. DEAD WRONG. I can't even merge them to Firefox or Chrome. Well, I'll just let them die of a security breach.

Well ie works flawlessly in winders 8 so no use hating on in it not nearly as bad as it used to be

I hate the cloud term :/