Experiences with non-techies

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yes they aren't. My GF had one back in college and everytime a day ended in Y she had connection issues. Low speeds, excessive dropped packets, high ping, and sometimes just wouldn't work at all. Always dropped when a train went past. It was from Boost or Cricket who's customer service made AT&T look like the golden child by comparison. At that time it was phone or internet only and zero in person locations for service. In person was sales only and could give zero assistance after you bought anything. Phone service was just as bad being sales focused. Took a few weeks to cancel it. She got Comcast and no more problems. I'm a big fan of hardwired internet. It's more secure and stable generally.

Yes, I would definitely be using Ethernet if the dorms at school were wired for it. For now I’m just stuck with WiFi even though I live literally above the router but they won’t let me drill a hole through the floor to run a 10ft cable.

4 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yes, I would definitely be using Ethernet if the dorms at school were wired for it. For now I’m just stuck with WiFi even though I live literally above the router but they won’t let me drill a hole through the floor to run a 10ft cable.

What they don't know won't hurt them lol

2 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

A recent conversation I had:

Me: "You shouldn't buy a QLC SSD for Chia mining; you'll wear it out within days."

Them: "But it's cheaper!"

Me: "It's going to be more expensive and wasteful since you'll have to replace them more frequently."

Them: "Shouldn't be too much of a problem, right? I don't think Chia mining isn't that bad for SSDs, right?"

*Proceeds to use his computer's Sabrent Rocket Q to mine Chia and gets mad at me when it inevitably fails*

1642664181_facepalmcrowd.gif.ca9ab232c7be6eb2fffc5e5242820416.gif

elephants

"PC stands for portable computer"

Ah yes, The IBM Portable Computer. 

See the source image

Only 40 pounds, with the monitor it's close to 80 total but the keyboard is easy to fit in a briefcase if you hang it out! And if you don't have a mouse it's even easier to carry! Battery life wasn't great with 0.00 minutes but hey, it's fine. 

(/s) and not sure about those weights, probably wrong

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

portable computer

I think it also is Personal Computer? That makes more sense with the IBM PC.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

"PC stands for portable computer"

Ah yes, The IBM Portable Computer. 

See the source image

Only 40 pounds, with the monitor it's close to 80 total but the keyboard is easy to fit in a briefcase if you hang it out! And if you don't have a mouse it's even easier to carry! Battery life wasn't great with 0.00 minutes but hey, it's fine. 

(/s) and not sure about those weights, probably wrong

It was more portable than previous computers that had similar processing power. Those often were located in a different room than the terminals used to interact with it. A different ROOM because the computer needed it's own room. So comparatively, yes it was portable.

Ok so Life Tip here everyone, if you're using an old toothbrush to clean PC parts of dust and old thermal paste in your bathroom because you're washing it down with alcohol over the sink DO NOT under any circumstances leave that cleaning toothbrush next to your sink when you are done.

Another Life Tip, old thermal paste makes for lousy toothpaste.

4 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yes that is what it truly means

Oddly, I've heard both nearly equally when people are talking about them. Which is actually correct?

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Oddly, I've heard both nearly equally when people are talking about them. Which is actually correct?

Personal is technically the correct one because the idea of a computer from IBM not the size of a room was to be available to everyday users and not just businesses.

ibmpc-160113134820-thumbnail-4.jpg.1452e568da004b9939612a6d634c29d4.jpg

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

<image>

"Hey bro check out my sick $1500 gaming rig" -- c. 1980

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

15 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

PC stands for portable computer

So a PPC is a Personal Portable Computer ?!?

/s

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

33 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

So a PPC is a Personal Portable Computer ?!?

/s

The Particle Projector Cannon (or PPC) is an energy weapon, firing a concentrated stream of protons or ions at a target with damage resulting from both thermal and kinetic energy.[4] Despite being an energy weapon, it does produce recoil. The lethality of the weapon rivals that of higher-caliber autocannons; just three shots from a PPC will vaporize nearly two tons of standard military-grade armor.[5] Targets hit by multiple, simultaneous PPCs can also suffer electrical side-effects, such as overloaded computer systems or targeting sensors.[6] The ion beam also extends to much farther ranges than autocannon fire, though PPCs generate large amounts of waste heat, the earlier prototype versions (produced between 2439 and 2460) even more so.

They're my fave MechWarrior weapon. Long range, hard hitting, no ammo. Can gimp a target in a couple hits from far away. Great for sniping emplacements. Lasers are cool too, but I love the PPC.

Not exactly my direct experience, but I always see this.

So many non-techies think their PC/console can reach let's say 144 frames if they buy a 144hz monitor. They really should be thought it doesn't work like that. A monitor just displays, it doesn't have the processing power or boost that people think it gives. A lot of times I see people selling their high refresh rate monitors, just because they were dissapointed with the result. Gotta do your research.

42 minutes ago, FRD said:

Not exactly my direct experience, but I always see this.

So many non-techies think their PC/console can reach let's say 144 frames if they buy a 144hz monitor. They really should be thought it doesn't work like that. A monitor just displays, it doesn't have the processing power or boost that people think it gives. A lot of times I see people selling their high refresh rate monitors, just because they were dissapointed with the result. Gotta do your research.

I bought a 144hz HDR curved monitor back when I played on a laptop. I knew I would be upgrading in the future but for like half its life it was run at SDR 60hz.

GFs Mom: hey can I have the credentials to your Spotify again? 

GF: yeah sure, try blah@blup.com, password 123

M: That doesn't work 😞

GF: OK then try password abc

M: perfect, thanks! But why do you have multiple passwords? 

Me:

Spoiler

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9520c98de5ce342c9923

Yeah and now I am thinking about making a power point presentation about how life works "on the line". 

*if you haven't realized yourself, the email address and passwords have been changed for obvious reasons

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

New temp at work. Got brought in earlier this week. Our place does Temp to Hire after 90 days. Anyway guy said he bought a $69 Chromebook. His intent was to game on it. He's a PS4 gamer, wanted to jump in to PC gaming. Was trying to play Mount and Blade (The Newest one) on it. He then said he tried to install Linux on it so he could install Windows. 

image.png.96545aba6313bed045f76263899382e9.png

I bit my lip a bit. Kept calm. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I'm an I.T technician in a school. I was unboxing a ubiquity switch and then a teacher walks in and says "can I have that pc?" a few minutes later some random kid walks in and says "Does that have a 3090 super ti in it?" 

I had to control myself from throwing it on their heads

Just now, NOV654 said:

I'm an I.T technician in a school. I was unboxing a ubiquity switch and then a teacher walks in and says "can I have that pc?" a few minutes later some random kid walks in and says "Does that have a 3090 super ti in it?" 

oh god 

That reminds me of when I had my PC open installing a soundcard (I live in a dorm with 17 other guys) and someone walks in and says "wow that's a tiny graphics card it must suck" but there's obviously already a GPU in it and the card I'm installing has audio not display outs... 

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

oh god 

That reminds me of when I had my PC open installing a soundcard (I live in a dorm with 17 other guys) and someone walks in and says "wow that's a tiny graphics card it must suck" but there's obviously already a GPU in it and the card I'm installing has audio not display outs... 

yep I was installing a wifi card in a teachers pc and was asked what the clock speed of it was

12 hours ago, NOV654 said:

LOL thats so funny.

Cus lack of control was why i had to stop going to work at a elementry school. (6 to 13yo)
According to the IT-teacher i was an assistant to, i was to honest. After 4 months, it was enough.

But then they do learn hella quick if you make fun of the kids for assuming something.
Month later the never assumed anymore they just asked. I feel like i've done enough there. :old-laugh:

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

BS I hear from time to time that irritates the Δ out of me as an early Gen-Z, whether it's coming from boomers, Gen-X or late Gen-Z kids:

• Mac devices or laptops are not "PCs"
  • CPU's "integrated graphics cArD"
  • "Overclocking will damage your hardware". Better yet: "Undervolting will damage your hardware"
  • Both "VRAM matters more than the GPU" and "VRAM does not matter" make me cringe
  • "An improvement from 120Hz to 144Hz is not noticeable" -- trust me, IT IS.
  • "Razer Cortex is the best app for optimization" -- more like the best placebo

Also coming from plenty of users on tech forums:

• "iMacs don't have a BIOS!"
  • Clear misconception of M.2, NVMe and SATA.
  • "DDR3 is for 'processors' and GDDR3 is for GPUs ONLY" -- false btw
  • "You can't upgrade a laptop" / "All chips in a laptop are soldered" -Every wannabe-geek born in the past decade

There's tons more, I just can't recall.

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

2 minutes ago, thekingofmonks said:

"An improvement from 120Hz to 144Hz is not noticeable" -- trust me, IT DOES.

I'm pretty sure I saw Jesus when I went from 60Hz to 144Hz...

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)