Experiences with non-techies

Main problem I have with Tesla is that there is no speedometer, only that huge screen in the middle. An excellent way to prompt people not to look at the road.

Also I wouldn't buy from them right now because of the build quality issues, but I understand that's getting better.

Also, Musk is a bit of a moron.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

5 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

The whole point about EVs is about spitting Zero emissions into the atmosphere

Except that's always been a complete lie when mentioned on its own without ensuring the power generation is done emission-free... otherwise it just moves the emissions to the power plant.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Tesla's are pretty shite.
The Apple of the road.
And also not even great cars. Chevvy Volt is a way better CAR.
They just mediocre gimmicks. And their avoidance of the right to repair makes them a company i'd rather see go bankrupt then anything else.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

8 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Main problem I have with Tesla is that there is no speedometer, only that huge screen in the middle. An excellent way to prompt people not to look at the road.

Also I wouldn't buy from them right now because of the build quality issues, but I understand that's getting better.

Also, Musk is a bit of a moron.

Wut? How many Tesla vehicles have you driven?? They all have a speedometer, it's either on the dash ahead of the steering wheel as normal or in the upper left (USA) corner of the display panel. Plenty of cars have had center mounted gauges.

Toyota Echo

Mini Cooper

Plymouth Prowler

Toyota Prius

Scion XB

Saturn Ion

And  probably a few others I can't think of off the top of my head because I haven't driven them.

The range is not compelling to get me to want to own any electric vehicle.  That, the lack of charging standards, the lack of infrastructure, and the lack of ability to get a "fuel up" in 15m and go another 250 miles down the road.

TBH, what is missing from the market right now are electric motorcycles.  Specifically in the <$10,000 range.  And not limited to city-bike kinds of 45mph speeds.  You build an electric motorcycle with a 150 mile range, 85mph top speed, and sell it for <$10,000...it will FLY off the shelves.

1 hour ago, IPD said:

fuel up" in 15m and go another 250 miles down the road.

This the the thing really holding them back. I think thats why there is much for charging infrastructure is because it takes too damn long to charge these vehicles. Another issue is charging at home, because unless you have a 220v charger, it takes for fucking ever. Older homes with older garages might not have 220v ran, our garage doesn't. Depending on the age of the house and its electrical system you might have to upgrade your electrical service and thats a lot of money. 

1 hour ago, IPD said:

the lack of charging standards

Actually there are standards in Europe its just that the US goverment doesn't seem to have the balls to force a charging standard here in the US. 

1 hour ago, IPD said:

TBH, what is missing from the market right now are electric motorcycles.  Specifically in the <$10,000 range.  And not limited to city-bike kinds of 45mph speeds.  You build an electric motorcycle with a 150 mile range, 85mph top speed, and sell it for <$10,000...it will FLY off the shelves.

Id be too afraid to drive a motorcycle in my area. Get your ass ran over pretty quick. OR you hit a pothole the wrong way and end up roadkill. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

4 hours ago, IPD said:

ability to get a "fuel up" in 15m and go another 250 miles down the road.

That can't be too far off, though the need for it will be quite rare because very few people will frequently drive longer than the range of their car in a day.

Drivers need to take breaks every couple of hours or so on a long trip anyway, as fatigue can severely increase the risk of an accident, so in practical terms all BEVs need to be able to match the convenience of a gas car is a ubiquity of chargers which can add enough range to drive the next couple of hours in whatever time it takes to have a drink/snack and go to the bathroom.

Of course, that assumes that all drivers were taking breaks as they should have done, which they probably weren't, but if electrification can make our roads safer by making avoiding doing so harder then that could be another benefit.

I agree. There's also the important issue of noise pollution - I cannot wait for motorcycles to go electric just because of how much quieter the streets will be when one goes past

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

41 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Drivers need to take breaks every couple of hours or so on a long trip anyway, as fatigue can severely increase the risk of an accident, so in practical terms all BEVs need to be able to match the convenience of a gas car is a ubiquity of chargers which can add enough range to drive the next couple of hours in whatever time it takes to have a drink/snack and go to the bathroom.

Me and my  dad did straight thru to South Dakota before. 14 hour drive. Yeah we stopped for gas, but that takes a few minutes at most. The thing is not every one wants to wait for hours on end to charge. Furthermore 120v chargers still take forever to charge, and 240v chargers require a bit of work to implement. 

No one is going to tolerate hours to charge and the biggest issue is no standardization of charging, because manufactures are being thunder cunts and not adopting a single standard (US Only). 

My aunt wanted to download that titanic song to her phone. For whatever reason Apple Music got deleted and I don’t feel like plugging in my personal laptop to add mp3/mp4 to Apple Music on her phone anyway. What I did was downloaded the mp4 to the files app, and then created a shortcut that would directly open the folder containing the songs so I don’t have to teach her how to navigate the files app, added to the Home Screen with the music icon ofc

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Me and my  dad did straight thru to South Dakota before. 14 hour drive. Yeah we stopped for gas, but that takes a few minutes at most. The thing is not every one wants to wait for hours on end to charge. Furthermore 120v chargers still take forever to charge, and 240v chargers require a bit of work to implement. 

For long journeys I was talking about DC fast chargers, which can replenish much of the battery capacity in 15-30 mins. What I'm saying is that having to stop for that long every few hours shouldn't massively increase journey time because you should have been doing that anyway.

Long journeys won't become much more difficult - they'll just require more forward planning. And GPS navigation systems will be able to handle that (especially ones built into cars, with access to the range data). So beyond a slight increase in journey time - no longer than what could be caused by some unexpected heavy traffic - everything will be very similar.

pythonmegapixel

5 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

bout DC fast chargers,

They dont charge from 0 to full in 15 minutes. If they did electric cars would already have taken over. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

They dont charge from 0 to full in 15 minutes. If they did electric cars would already have taken over. 

No but no one comes to a charger at 0% or needs to wait to be at 100% before leaving. 

The most time-efficient use for EVs is to stop more frequently and just charge for 15ish minutes each time (charging is fastest at low state of charge, so charge from 20% to 70% in 15-30 minutes and go again).

Obviously that requires enough charging stations which is a problem especially in the US, exacerbated by the stupid multiple standards.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Its not about the tool, but how you use it.
I cant believe electric cars are still being compared to regular gas guzzling machines. 🙈

You want range get a car with a tank.

Want cheaper miles in the city or whatever get one with a battery.
Cant make up your mind, get a hybrid. 😛

It would be way better that some of you lazy bunch gets on a bicycle and use sandwich power to get where you need to go. 😆

demonstrating how my phone doesn't boot to a friend

Me: "See, it's broken."

Person A: "Just reboot it!"
Me: "Alright, here, watch. It doesn't work." reboots phone with home + power button

Person A: "Why'd you hold the home button? That's not how you restart it."
Me: "To reboot it I have to hold the home button to force a restart, otherwise it doesn't restart." demonstrates that it doesn't restart if I don't hold the home button

Person A: "Here, give me that." grabs phone and holds power button

nothing happens

Person A: "Your phone is broken."

elephants

3 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Me: "Alright, here, watch. It doesn't work." reboots phone with home + power button

Me: "To reboot it I have to hold the home button to force a restart, otherwise it doesn't restart." demonstrates that it doesn't restart if I don't hold the home button

nothing happens

Kinda how teachers and parents think that closing tabs will save internet..

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

3 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

nothing happens

Isnt it wonderful to have a 2nd opinion. 🤭

Some brands do not need the home button to restart tho. But volume up or down. (I dont even have a home button anymore).
So the confusion i can understand, but only a little. As ive worked with many a phone, they all have a different way.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

If you don't scroll back to the top the next person will start at the bottom of the page. Be kind, rewind.

With the amount of VHS we watched when I was a kid the tape rewinder was an essential. But apparently having one made you rich.

Whoops.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

Playing CS:GO with my friend last night, I started having wifi issues, he asks me if I have a "wifi plug" since it's "faster bandwidth" than "bluetooth wifi" 

I assume he means an Ethernet cable...

18 minutes ago, CT854 said:

With the amount of VHS we watched when I was a kid the tape rewinder was an essential. But apparently having one made you rich.

Whoops.

Our deck had high speed rewind, sounded like the tape was going plaid inside that thing. S-Video too... fancy!

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Playing CS:GO with my friend last night, I started having wifi issues, he asks me if I have a "wifi plug" since it's "faster bandwidth" than "bluetooth wifi" 

I assume he means an Ethernet cable...

Ah, but maybe he meant dongle vs phone hotspot!?

23 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Well, I'm using a dongle, and we both know pretty well that phone hotspots for doing much other than work aren't ideal

Yes they aren't. My GF had one back in college and everytime a day ended in Y she had connection issues. Low speeds, excessive dropped packets, high ping, and sometimes just wouldn't work at all. Always dropped when a train went past. It was from Boost or Cricket who's customer service made AT&T look like the golden child by comparison. At that time it was phone or internet only and zero in person locations for service. In person was sales only and could give zero assistance after you bought anything. Phone service was just as bad being sales focused. Took a few weeks to cancel it. She got Comcast and no more problems. I'm a big fan of hardwired internet. It's more secure and stable generally.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yes they aren't. My GF had one back in college and everytime a day ended in Y she had connection issues. Low speeds, excessive dropped packets, high ping, and sometimes just wouldn't work at all. Always dropped when a train went past. It was from Boost or Cricket who's customer service made AT&T look like the golden child by comparison. At that time it was phone or internet only and zero in person locations for service. In person was sales only and could give zero assistance after you bought anything. Phone service was just as bad being sales focused. Took a few weeks to cancel it. She got Comcast and no more problems. I'm a big fan of hardwired internet. It's more secure and stable generally.

Yes, I would definitely be using Ethernet if the dorms at school were wired for it. For now I’m just stuck with WiFi even though I live literally above the router but they won’t let me drill a hole through the floor to run a 10ft cable.

4 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yes, I would definitely be using Ethernet if the dorms at school were wired for it. For now I’m just stuck with WiFi even though I live literally above the router but they won’t let me drill a hole through the floor to run a 10ft cable.

What they don't know won't hurt them lol