Experiences with non-techies

My grandma barely uses a computer for more than an hour a month. And she has this weird habit to always move the cursor over the scroll bar, and THEN use the scroll wheel to scroll. Told her countless times but she doesn't seem to understand that and still continues doing that.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

17 hours ago, IPD said:

PEBKAC?

I prefer PICNIC.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

my friend that doesn't know anything and thinks he does: "yea the gtx 5600 xt is so good"

context is my other friend and i were discussing something about his pc.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

20 hours ago, adarw said:

my friend that doesn't know anything and thinks he does: "yea the gtx 5600 xt is so good"

context is my other friend and i were discussing something about his pc.

Reminds me of the day when I posted the SU "Finally got a 6800!" but it was a GeForce 6800

My friend just texted me and said, and I quote:

Hey can you help me? I plugged my laptop into my family's TV to watch something and it didn't show on the screen

I said send me a pic.

He sends me this picture of the USB-C port on his laptop plugged into the USB A of the TV. 

It's a 1st gen Ryzen so no thunderbolt. 

Would post the pic but wifi is too terrible to download and upload it. 

5 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

USB-C port on his laptop plugged into the USB A of the TV. 

USB - Universal Serial Bus

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

VPN Server Guide

We rolled out Security software at our company a few days ago, where you watch a bunch of videos and take several quiz's. you need 80% to pass. if you get less, you have to keep retaking it to pass. i had a user that got a 70, barfed about doing it again. and asked if i could remote in and take it for her

and i am the security guy for the company running the program

Sorry, no i cant do that, her response was. Well if i fail the 2nd time i am just not doing it again

LOL

Coworker: "Hey Avocado, my work-issued iPhone doesn't sync calendars anymore. It caused me to miss an appointment."

Me: *after looking through the settings* "The app lacked permission to access mobile data. And since you weren't connected to the company Wi-Fi, there was no way for the phone to sync calendars. Someone must have turned off those permissions."

Coworker: "Oh, yeah, I think last time someone had a look in the settings was [coworker 2] when he helped me with something. He must've disabled it for some reason."

Me (internally): Yeah, sure, coworker 2 must've done it, even though he retired 2 years ago and I happen to know for a fact you don't have Wi-Fi at home, because you told me as much, that you use your phone as a hotspot for everything. So all the other synced appointments I saw in your calendar just magically appeared out of thin air between 2 years ago and now.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

On 10/12/2021 at 6:24 PM, soldier_ph said:

"Ignorance Outside"

Infused in AMD

Edited by linux fanboy

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

This is literally what happened today.

Friend: "Hey my computer is booting very slow"

Me: "How long"

Friend: "Last time it took like 4 minutes"

Me: "Wtf"

Friend: "ikr"

Spoiler

Me: "HDD or SSD"(thankful he at least knew what was in it)

He: "SSD"

Me: "Okay that's good, what's the CPU"

He: "i3 10th gen"(He just told me the laptop name and I had to figure this one out)

Me: "Will have to check fast startup then"

Attaching screenshots because I'm too lazy to type

Spoiler

image.png.e83a59688f36e096f6eaa44f3380d85b.pngimage.png.88e415421df62a2246583deeae12f2d1.png

image.png.f2d69d79671adfe2a528a033b700ce6a.png

Another example of people who don't use their brains at all. It literally says it in the name, "fast" startup..

^

VPN Server Guide

2 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

This is literally what happened today.

Friend: "Hey my computer is booting very slow"

Me: "How long"

Friend: "Last time it took like 4 minutes"

Me: "Wtf"

Friend: "ikr"

Hide contents

Me: "HDD or SSD"(thankful he at least knew what was in it)

He: "SSD"

Me: "Okay that's good, what's the CPU"

He: "i3 10th gen"(He just told me the laptop name and I had to figure this one out)

Me: "Will have to check fast startup then"

Attaching screenshots because I'm too lazy to type

image.png.e83a59688f36e096f6eaa44f3380d85b.png

image.png.88e415421df62a2246583deeae12f2d1.png

Another example of people who don't use their brains at all. It literally says it in the name, "fast" startup..

Fast Startup in Windows can actually slow down your startup times... turning off fast boot in the BIOS however makes it much slower (on most modern boards its less though). 

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Fast Startup in Windows can actually slow down your startup times...

Is there something that I don't know? AFAIK it kinda caches the basic system components so they don't have to be loaded from scratch the next time the PC boots, and speeds up the boot process.

^

VPN Server Guide

1 minute ago, RockSolid1106 said:

Is there something that I don't know? AFAIK it kinda caches the basic system components so they don't have to be loaded from scratch the next time the PC boots, and speeds up the boot process.

Windows fast startup and
BIOS's fast boot
Are not the same thing.

And isnt fast startup a form of hibernation, which can come with complications. If doesnt load properly it has to do a normal boot after thus making boot times longer.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Windows Fast Startup has continually given me nothing but headaches on older (4th gen Intel, 1st gen Ryzen, etc) hardware. Maybe it's smoother on new stuff but when I run into a Windows PC with a weird problem I disable that and 7/10 times that fixes it.

So on Friday I got into an argument with one of my Coworkers about Combustion Engines and EVs because he was asking me questions about my E-Bike.

And he goes like: "You produce much more Co2 than I do with my Motorcycle which runs on regular Gas, both in production and on the road."

Me: While I agree with you that my E-Bike produces Co2 in the production and shipping (Virtually any physical Product does that) you're completely wrong on the producing Co2 while driving part. The whole point about EVs is about spitting Zero emissions into the atmosphere, reducing road noise, having as few moving parts as possible, being much safer and in case of Tesla's actually being the best Vehicle you would wanna be in during a Car Crash since they're built so damn well.

Then he starts to shit on E-Bikes and Tesla and bla bla.

He's also kinda a Covid denier and against getting Vaccinated so no wonder he's so Brain dead, also younger than me so there's that. Good thing I don't have to work together much with him. 

It's funny to me that these Teens always talk about their dream Cars like BMWs, Mercedes's and Audios and how they're the fastest on the road. And they might have the top overall speed and pretty long ranges but do you know which production Car actually has the fastest 0-60 mph/0-100 km/h ? 

That's right, Tesla Model S Plaid 2021 with 1.9 Seconds so I also win that argument. They gotta make the Roadster faster now lol. Please don't make this into a heated Car argument. I'm just a Tesla Fanboy lol. 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

2 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

So on Friday I got into an argument with one of my Coworkers about Combustion Engines and EVs because he was asking me questions about my E-Bike.

And he goes like: "You produce much more Co2 than I do with my Motorcycle which runs on regular Gas, both in production and on the road."

Me: While I agree with you that my E-Bike produces Co2 in the production and shipping (Virtually any physical Product does that) you're completely wrong on the producing Co2 while driving part. The whole point about EVs is about spitting Zero emissions into the atmosphere, reducing road noise, having as few moving parts as possible, being much safer and in case of Tesla's actually being the best Vehicle you would wanna be in during a Car Crash since they're built so damn well.

He's also kinda a Covid denier and against getting Vaccinated so no wonder he's so Brain dead, also younger than me so there's that. Good thing I don't have to work together much with him. 

It's funny to me that these Teens always talk about their dream Cars like BMWs, Mercedes's and Audios and how they're the fastest on the road. And they might have the top overall speed and pretty long ranges but do you know which production Car actually has the fastest 0-60 mph/0-100 km/h ? 

That's right, Tesla Model S Plaid 2021 with 1.9 Seconds so I also win that argument. They gotta make the Roadster faster now lol. Please don't make this into a heated Car argument. I'm just a Tesla Fanboy lol. 

Only thing about Tesla cars I don't like is the repairability is pretty much zero. You'll have to bring it to a Tesla dealership to fix and good luck finding replacement parts (perhaps a junk yard). 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, soldier_ph said:

i lost a brain cell,

you would think by reading this that this guy is in his 60-70's

3 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

while i dislike elon, i cant deny that teslas are good.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

14 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Only thing about Tesla cars I don't like is the repairability is pretty much zero. You'll have to bring it to a Tesla dealership to fix and good luck finding replacement parts (perhaps a junk yard). 

Yeah I agree. I wanna get a Tesla at some point (maybe even a used one as my first Car who knows) and I am totatally fine to bring it in for repair in one of the 8 Tesla Service Centers here in Switzerland two of which are in reasonable distance to me so yeah. 

Just now, soldier_ph said:

Yeah I agree. I wanna get a Tesla at some point (maybe even a used one as my first Car who knows) and I am totatally fine to bring it in for repair in one of the 8 Tesla Service Centers here in Switzerland two of which are in reasonable distance to me so yeah. 

Oh for sure!! I'd love to get a Tesla in the future, probably until I can no longer go further with my current car lol. For warranty work, yeah just bring it to the dealership and let them work on the car and fix the problem. But once it's out of warranty...let the fun begin. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

just a curious question: what do you think of hydrogen powered fuel cell electric vehicles?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

1 minute ago, Red 🙂 said:

just a curious question: what do you think of hydrogen powered fuel cell electric vehicles?

I mean they're also pretty cool. But it's just Buses and Trucks which use that Technology here and no way as mainstream and broadly understood as EVs already are.

4 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

I mean they're also pretty cool. But it's just Buses and Trucks which use that Technology here and no way as mainstream and broadly understood as EVs already are.

I mean, there are a couple of consumer models out as well like the Toyota Mirai, which I'd love to own one day, however over here we have just one hydrogen station for the entire country. And it's in Prague, of course. That station isn't even built yet.

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

1 minute ago, Red 🙂 said:

I mean, there are a couple of consumer models out as well like the Toyota Mirai, which I'd love to own one day, however over here we have just one hydrogen station for the entire country. And it's in Prague, of course.

Yeah for me it'll always be Tesla because of the amazing World Wide Super Charging Network. So Roadtrips in Europe are so easy to plan. 

1 hour ago, soldier_ph said:

Maybe he means the emissions when the ebike catches fire? LOL Cause gas vehicle never catch fire.