Experiences with non-techies

19 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

My teacher calls the webcam a monitor/computer in online classes.

So if she wanted to ask the class to turn on their videos, she'd say, "Okay, everyone turn on your monitors".

I get it, people can confuse a cursor with a mouse, a computer with a monitor, but seriously, webcam with a monitor?

webcams make you appear on her monitor tho?

This just happened and I get really frustrated with my mother not listening.

So, my computer is hooked up in an outlet in the living room, that is also on the same circuit as the 2nd floor bathroom and some outlets in the master bedroom/ bathroom. When she gets cold (yes with the damn air conditioning on in the summer), will put on her 1500W "fireplace" heater-plugged into the master bathroom. I'm usually playing a game so my computer is under a load, her 1500W heater is on in her room, and then she decided to put on the 800W light bulbs in the 2nd floor bathroom. This trips the breaker (as it was designed to do) and I'm sitting in the middle of an online game, where the computer suddenly goes out. 

I yelled upstairs to my mom and said, "What did you do, have the space heater on and then turned on the lights in the bathroom?", she replied "Yes". This has been over at least 10 times on different occasions that this has happened and my dad and I have told her to not put those 800W lights on in the bathroom. 

She still doesn't seem to remember, but it'll be on her if something goes wrong with the computer...

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

We have an 85" monitor in our conference room. It's basically a TV without a tuner. Hooked up to that is a document camera, a regular PC and a ClickShare (allows wireless screen sharing whenever someone wants to hook up their own laptop and can't be bothered to unplug the HDMI from the PC), each of which occupy one of the three available HDMI inputs. Every time the big boss or his second in command have to give a presentation, I get called up to set things up, because apparently, it's just too much effort to learn how to switch inputs on that monitor with a literal TV remote. Or to learn how the ClickShare works (You plug it in, it gets recognized as a USB drive, run the .exe on the drive to start the service and then click the button on the device to mirror your screen wirelessly to the monitor, you know, a really hard to follow procedure). And it's not like I was the guy who ordered that stupid ClickShare, it's something the bosses saw during a conference somewhere else and decided that we needed that too, but they can't be bothered to learn how it works. Never mind that it's incredibly slow. If you want to play a video file over it the connection stutters more than Scatman John. That's what happens when you just buy shit because you thought it was cool without thinking it through.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

13 hours ago, Bitter said:

Calling a computer a hard drive.

Calling the computer a CPU

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

19 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Calling the computer a CPU

My teacher said a same thing, ironically he is more or less an IT teacher

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

28 minutes ago, Freakwise said:

My teacher said a same thing, ironically he is more or less an IT teacher

IT teachers are who I find are even dumber at tech

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

Just now, RockSolid1106 said:

IT teachers are who I find are even dumber at tech

Problem is, it's like a lot of them really had a passion for it, then life happened, they lost interest and ended up behind the times. So some are technically qualified to teach, what they teach is outdated.

Or they never really liked tech in the first place and just wanted a job.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted

literally no one asked: game review edition

ok.thumb.png.3d42dd6796b5d7061d4486eb83b405e4.png

From the same game there are reviews, one star, of "the fire extinguisher doesn't work" "it's too hard" "it's too scary" 

Edit: here's an among us review that's just useless

image.thumb.png.78a789e75225908d013572e731dccb08.png

and another: "the game updates too much" 

image.thumb.png.984584b28cb7faf16d9e3c1ef2db57f8.png

DANG CAPSHA

image.png

2 hours ago, Schnoz said:

To be fair, creepers are controlled by an AI and I don't think they'd be able to solve a captcha.

They also don't have arms.

elephants

People complaining on Amazon reviews that they only get 120MB speeds max on gigabit power line adapters.

This...

lolz.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 hour ago, DoctorNick said:

This...

lolz.png

Which supercomputer is this instance of Opera running on?

On 7/25/2021 at 4:16 AM, ShrimpBrime said:

Dude, I just moved. Also in Chicago suburbs. Called them up (xfinity) and upgraded the Blast 400mb to the 1gb and with their modem, the bill is 98$ a month. 

Maybe you should call them. 

On 7/24/2021 at 11:08 PM, Bitter said:

My friend in Iowa (podunk country pig and corn farming state) has symmetrical gigabit fiber for $100 USD a month. I pay about the same for 400mbit down and 20mbit up AND I LIVE WITH IN 30 MILES OF A MAJOR CITY, CHICAGO!

Gotta love strange prices of internet connections.

First i had 100 mbit down / 50 mbit up for 30€ a month. (It was the best connection available for me)

After they upgraded the cable in my street they offered to upgrade my connection to 1000 down / 500 up for only 5€ more per month. Of course i said yes.

I also live in pretty a small town and yet i have better internet that any of my friends, some of which live in big cities with anywhere from 100K to 1Mil citizens. And that while also paying less than everyone else i know.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

The company i work for has a dedicated IT department, which got so big that it has been split up into a seperate company alltogether. But somehow in my branch i'm the first responder when it comes to IT questions because i've proven to be more helpful most of the times compared to some remote worker using team viewer. And my job position has nothing to do with IT. One of my older colleagues even calls me a "hacker". But not to be offensive in any way, more as some sort of a strange compliment because i know my way around computers. (Altough i never needed to pull out the command prompt in front of him 🤔)

That just shows again that you can have education, but that doesn't mean you know what you're doing. Just like most other things you need practice and experience above all else.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Gotta love strange prices of internet connections.

First i had 100 mbit down / 50 mbit up for 30€ a month. (It was the best connection available for me)

After they upgraded the cable in my street they offered to upgrade my connection to 1000 down / 500 up for only 5€ more per month. Of course i said yes.

I also live in pretty a small town and yet i have better internet that any of my friends, some of which live in big cities with anywhere from 100K to 1Mil citizens. And that while also paying less than everyone else i know.

When we moved in June, I called the auto insurance company. 

Moved 1 town over and my auto insurance rate dropped 50 bucks a month for my vehicles.

I have no idea why pricing differs from onetown to another, but I feel it's BS. Everyone should pay the same price IMO.

6 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

When we moved in June, I called the auto insurance company. 

Moved 1 town over and my auto insurance rate dropped 50 bucks a month for my vehicles.

I have no idea why pricing differs from onetown to another, but I feel it's BS. Everyone should pay the same price IMO.

That is BS, but also makes a certain amount of sense?

Insurance cost reflects risk factor, so you might have been in a town with a higher accident likelihood, or which was closer to an interstate (and thus inherited the interstate's risk factor).

Still odd that it changed by that much!

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

So I recently called the local ISP guy who had little to no knowledge about networking.

I called him because my I was experiencing frequent drops and that would cause a lot of hassle because most of my dad's work applications die if the internet is disconnected, even for a couple seconds.

I told him that all devices are experiencing drops(I had to explain what drops are too).

He asked "how many devices are connected"

"About 12 or so"

"Okay, this router doesn't support more than 5 devices. So this wouldn't work"

(There are literally only 3 or 4 active devices, while others are just idle)

So I somehow managed to explain him that idle devices won't cause any problems. Now he started to point at my dad's work computer. And, as soon as I said "That is a work computer", he just said "contact your company, this is not our problem." I disagreed, because the problem occurred on all devices.

After some time he started to explain me that the company would have to "install" a firewall and "install" an IP address as if they were some applications.

And at that point I understood that I was talking to someone who had very little knowledge and I was wasting my time explaining stuff to him.

Spoiler

Not all things were spoken by me, my dad too got involved a bit. Though, networking isn't something that he knows a lot about. Even I am not as knowledgeable when it comes to networking, but I know a lot more things than my dad does. So I was the one to talk to the ISP guy mostly.

Edited by RockSolid1106
On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

social/groups of "techies" are usually a shithole; this usually happens in every groups but whatever

like you get nutjobs who think that have a clue of what they are talking about by agreeing each other, while they clearly don't

even if you put straight off in their face the source they won't listen

35 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

So I recently called the local ISP guy who had little to no knowledge about networking.

I called him because my I was experiencing frequent drops and that would cause a lot of hassle because most of my dad's work applications die if the internet is disconnected, even for a couple seconds.

I told him that all devices are experiencing drops(I had to explain what drops are too).

He asked "how many devices are connected"

"About 12 or so"

"Okay, this router doesn't support more than 5 devices. So this wouldn't work"

(There are literally only 3 or 4 active devices, while others are just idle)

So I somehow managed to explain him that idle devices won't cause any problems. Now he started to point at my dad's work computer. And, as soon as I said "That is a work computer", he just said "contact your company, this is not our problem." I disagreed, because the problem occurred on all devices.

After some time he started to explain me that the company would have to "install" a firewall and "install" an IP address as if they were some applications.

And at that point I understood that I was talking to someone who had very little knowledge and I was wasting my time explaining stuff to him.

Reveal hidden contents

Not all things were spoken by me, my dad too got involved a bit. Though, networking isn't something that he knows a lot about. Even I am not as knowledgeable when it comes to networking, but I know a lot more things than my dad does. So I was the one to talk to the ISP guy mostly.

at least here

isps usually require them to open a vat number/company, by doing so they don't need to subdue to worker regulations/extra taxes, so those individuals do work for the isps, but without being considered employees

but in the other side they have less controll over them, so the "quality" can't often be guaranteed