Experiences with non-techies

My family is on vacation right now and my grandmother is at our house keeping the dog. Apparently the power went out for a few minutes and shut off the router, and my dads been on the phone for a good 15+ minutes telling her how to turn it on and how yes it has to stay plugged in, no it doesn’t have a battery, no it doesn’t work on cell signal, no you won’t have to pay to use it, no you don’t have to turn it off at night…

On 7/29/2021 at 2:31 AM, soldier_ph said:

What abbreviation do you guys prefer to use ? PICNIC (Problem in Chair, not in Computer) or PEBCAK (Problem exists between Chair and Keyboard) ?

ID10t rule.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

6 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

My family is on vacation right now and my grandmother is at our house keeping the dog. Apparently the power went out for a few minutes and shut off the router, and my dads been on the phone for a good 15+ minutes telling her how to turn it on and how yes it has to stay plugged in, no it doesn’t have a battery, no it doesn’t work on cell signal, no you won’t have to pay to use it, no you don’t have to turn it off at night…

haha your last 2 post made me laugh real good

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

3 hours ago, adarw said:

haha your last 2 post made me laugh real good

If there only was a way to flag those posts as funny...

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

On 7/31/2021 at 4:45 AM, Mel0nMan said:

This is a review for Cinebench on the MS Store. I have been laughing for 5 minutes straight at this crap.

image.png.21213bf8334c0d55ddf3cc4c13acd5f7.png

"0 out of 0 people found this helpful."
"Most helpful critical review"

Guess MS is equally dumb as that reviewer

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

IDK why but most of my teachers point at the cursor on the screen and call it a "mouse"

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

VPN Server Guide

I have one from my former phone rep days!

A lady called in and told me she was on hold for 40 minutes before it connected her to someone who is available. Her question? Was XXX an American area code. I took her 40 minute wait and raised her a 40 second Google search.

She had a phone and plan with internet capabilities..

13 hours ago, RockSolid1106 said:

IDK why but most of my teachers point at the cursor on the screen and call it a "mouse"

Oh everyone does it because no one knows what a "Cursor" is anyways smh.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

11 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

Oh everyone does it because no one knows what a "Cursor" is anyways smh.

Same energy as calling the monitor a computer.

I plan to name a computer "Free Netflix", connect it to the school network in the dorms and leave it on during the weekends (of course it will be doing other things too) just to see how many people click on it and ask why the free Netflix isn't working...

- Do a favour, fix problem A on friend/relative/colleage's computer as a favor.

- Problem B occurs, probably at their own fault, you know it absolutely can't have anything whatsoever to do with what you fixed for them, absolutely zero correlation between the two things.

- "You've broke my computer again"

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

20 minutes ago, cacoe said:

- Problem B occurs, probably at their own fault, you know it absolutely can't have anything whatsoever to do with what you fixed for them, absolutely zero correlation between the two things.

Whenever I touch a friend/family member's computer, no matter what I'm doing, if it "breaks" due to user error within the next 6 months it's my fault...

Another one. Every time my family goes on vacation I bring my Olympus FE-360, a small point and shoot camera with an 8mp sensor and 720p resolution. And every time, I'm asked why I don't just take pictures with my phone and instead use the camera. Well it's a larger lens, actually has picture controls, isn't insanely oversharpened like my phone's photos are, and finally... it actually takes stable video! I do have nicer and higher resolution cameras, I just particularly like this one because of how small it is (a thing I hate about modern phones - they don't fit in my pocket...)

10 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Another one. Every time my family goes on vacation I bring my Olympus FE-360, a small point and shoot camera with an 8mp sensor and 720p resolution. And every time, I'm asked why I don't just take pictures with my phone and instead use the camera. Well it's a larger lens, actually has picture controls, isn't insanely oversharpened like my phone's photos are, and finally... it actually takes stable video! I do have nicer and higher resolution cameras, I just particularly like this one because of how small it is (a thing I hate about modern phones - they don't fit in my pocket...)

Solution - get fat, my pockets have loads of room.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Can your pockets fit my Nikon D5100? Hmm? If so that's impressive...

a thing I hate about modern phones - they don't fit in my pocket..

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Can your pockets fit my Nikon D5100? Hmm? If so that's impressive...

..maybe..

Spoiler

b7120ecc-3de0-4aa4-a498-83a046332b07.jpe

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 hours ago, cacoe said:

How do I react with "agree" but in all-caps?

3 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Whenever I touch a friend/family member's computer, no matter what I'm doing, if it "breaks" due to user error within the next 6 months it's my fault...

Guess you didn't notice the 6-month extended warranty they bought from you.

^

VPN Server Guide

19 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Same energy as calling the monitor a computer.

My teacher calls the webcam a monitor/computer in online classes.

So if she wanted to ask the class to turn on their videos, she'd say, "Okay, everyone turn on your monitors".

I get it, people can confuse a cursor with a mouse, a computer with a monitor, but seriously, webcam with a monitor?

^

VPN Server Guide